Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Copper Dreams Beta Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Copper Dreams; Whalenought Studios

Remember when the Copper Dreams beta was supposed to come out on November 15th? Haha well, it's finally actually out today. And yes, the game's art style has completely changed yet again. Apparently Joe & Hannah didn't have time to write a Kickstarter update, so they just sent out this email.

Sorry about the delay — Hannah and I weren’t 100% happy with some of the feelings and visuals that we were going to release with the beta, and we’ve been busy fine tuning all those elements. We’re finally catching up! The Steam build has been now updated with these assets and tech that we've worked on since the alpha. We’ve implemented some lovely sprites based on what we’ve been working on with the SitS expansion, and they’ve brought a lot of clarity to the PC and NPCs in the game, especially with positions and limb highlighting/damage. Map visuals adjusted to match, as well as LOS and lighting from the alpha. More notable changes below, as well as additions.

We’re starting the beta with modified versions and connections of some of the first maps in the game from Block 8. We’ll be putting in the start of the game proper shortly, but in the meantime all skills are available for testing. There are two medical stations available, and to test combat and skills the goal is to wipe out all the thugs street-side.

Skills:

All Skills primarily abilities available, more to come through beta:

Biohack: Psi-attack any enemies in visual to distort your image to make it appear as if there are duplicates shimmering around you — they’ll attack one of these at random. If an NPC uses this, the player cannot precise aim any of the targets, and they are all indistinguishable from the real target.

Burglary: Currently you can lockpick doors and chests so you don’t need keycards or to destroy them.

Social: All previous social skills available: i.e. can convince enemies to leave or neutral NPCs to follow.

Chemistry: with vials and chemicals, you can combine to make various types of chemical bombs via the chemistry menu.

Hacking: Can try to hack computers, with various difficulties resulting in more or less passwords you can guess during a hack, each being a new roll for pass/fail. Too many fails lock you out.

Can also build drones with enough drone parts and a given weapon for it to use.

Systems:

Lighting and movement more fluid — lighting is based off any floors given vertex light, instead of tile light. These are (roughly) evenly distributed, update-able in realtime with taking out lights or using flashlights/muzzle flashes, and are more engaging to interact with. This tech was previously the hatch-lines in the alpha, and has been altered to be the main lighting operations. This has been smoothed out with a nice dither instead for better clarity, as the hatches were a bit difficult to read for the main lighting.

Cybernetics: A few charges are available to distribute as you want in limb slots on top right — the PC starts with some cybernetics attached, which can be switched out or modified later, as well as how much power and mental stability they can afford to power them. More details to come.

Virtues: All the stats from these were overhauled from alpha to now be designated by various advantage and disadvantages chosen at character creation and during level-ups. We’ll be finishing up the character and creation screen (and item/action descriptions) in a coming update.
Our users who have played it report that the beta scenario is minimalistic, with strange and unintuitive gameplay. The new graphics don't seem to be too popular either. Hopefully they'll release something better soon along with a proper update, though I think we've learned not to hold our breaths with this game.

grimace

Arcane
ET6BHe4XgAEN5xT

ET5_sohWoAIdCFE

How many "beta testers" died before they used a crate to exit the second map area?

aratuk

Cipher
Looks good! Fine with me if they take their time to get it right.

I just hope they aren't getting discouraged by retooling the graphics so many times.

Diggfinger

Arcane
And yes, the game's art style has completely changed yet again
Perhaps some kind soul will post a screenshot of the visual styles the game had had?

Some are featured in the preview article

Played abit this morning. Makes more sense as a 'dungeon crawler', e.g. controls are more stream-lined (before you risked throwing your gun when wanting to shoot it), and it's got that PS1-feel back.

but man, this seems a far-cry from the cyberpunk RPG I played back March last year.

Hopefully final iteration(s) will make this come together as a whole

:shredder:

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Ugh.

Things that sux:
-Enemy AI
-Controls
-Shit not happening unless you move (like reloading, ugh)
-Inventory
-Visibility thing when sneaking
-Combat feedback is really wonky

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Wait... They returned to the original KS campaign / PSX aesthetics instead of the blurry mess they've shown in 2018?
67c7b371787f1547b6bf11df3639eed4_original.png
That's actually great, I've even been thinking recently what a shame it was they did. Damn this game's development cycle sure is a wild ride even to follow.

Last edited:

Lagi

Savant
this graphic looks amazing. Looks like the effort with all the style changing was worth it.

on the otherhand they have only X time to spend, look like gameplay wise it would be Sepent in the Staglands 2. Another trophy to my collection of never played games.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Some small updates were loaded today. The player sprite was improved slightly as well as the guards. They added manual jumping. Enjoy the ending:

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I barely remember backing this game. I have no idea why its development meandered the way it has.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom