Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which video game franchise would you buy?

Lemming42

Arcane
Tomb Raider to get the series back on track and make a true sequel to the first three games.

Maybe Fallout, but probably not to make any new games. Just to protect it from anyone else taking ownership of it and pumping out awful crap.

Deleted member 7219

Fallout, of course. Because we need a spiritual successor to New Vegas (and the themes of the first two games).

Star Wars. Ignore what Disney have done, there was plenty of potential there for all kinds of new games - isometric RPGs, KOTOR 3, Bounty Hunter action-adventure games, Jedi Knight 4, TIE Fighter 2, X-Wing Alliance 2... you've got freaking Star Wars as your licence.

Elder Scrolls. Make a true sequel to Morrowind, set in the intrigue of the Imperial City as plots threaten the Empire's collapse.

Mass Effect, because I'm a sucker for space opera. Keep the skills of Mass Effect but with squad-based, turn-based combat.

Jade Empire, because I loved the music and atmosphere of the first game, and playing an evil bastard who can betray and kill your own party members is always fun.

Dragon Age. Deliver a sequel to the first game that improves its systems in every way instead of making them worse.

Alan Wake. Because it deserved an Alan Wake 2 and 3.

Alien Isolation. Because it deserved a second game, introduce some of the action of Aliens, but keep the threat real.

Half-Life 3. Because we've spent long enough waiting for a sequel to Half-Life 2: Episode Two (although it seems things are finally changing at Valve).

Bully 2, because the first one was Rockstar trying something different and it was a lot of fun.

Alpha Protocol 2, not because I think the game needed a sequel, but we need more modern day RPGs. Also, Bloodlines 2. I'm hopeful about it but I fear it will be too cuckish/SJWish/have stupid writing.

Tyranny 2, because that world and those themes deserved a sequel.

Plenty more to add later.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Total War. That series was doing so well, and then took such a hard left turn into the retard ditch. SO MUCH potential there for turn based historical/grand strategy. If money was no object, some radical mating between Total War and something like the Crusader Kings games could make for the most awesome of historical jerkoff fests. Sadly, Paradox seems stuck with Clausewitz and CA managed to turn Total War series into a Saturday morning cartoon show.

Castlevania serie, to make a title in 3D better than the two horrible, disgusting shits that MecurySteam has demoulded -this won't be difficult.

Inspired by the second (Simon's Quest), barely scenarized, with platform, exploration and combat, in a gothic and creepy Transylvania.

Sjukob

Arcane
The Elder Scrolls
Would then proceed to erase the last 3 games and make a true sequel to Morrowind, but with good action gameplay.
A better idea would be to purchase the franchise and never allow anyone to make another TES game ever again, so that cancerous shit can finaly die for good.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Nah.
IMO the series still hasn't reached it's full potential.
It needs one last game, not just any game but a truly great game so when the credits roll with a "And so ends the Elder Scrolls Saga." it can be said with no doubt the series earned that finale.

Last edited:

Xmantis

Novice
Descent, and give it to the original devs (who made the spiritual successor Overload). Fuck whoever is dragging the Descent IP through the mud.

flushfire

Augur
My first thought was Jagged Alliance too. Bring it to a modern engine 1:1 while maybe adding some [optional] cinematic shit for the casual crowd.

Other than that, some games I could think of I really wanted more of but never got: Magic Carpet and Sacrifice. I'd say both would be good multiplayer titles.

I'd love a more polished Star Wolves too, although the money-making potential is probably not very high.

Pound Meat

Prophet
Need For Speed so we can get Undercover 2 while Maggie Q is still hot.

Madden so I can kill it forever and let every company make their own unique football games again like in the 90s.

Codex Year of the Donut
Witcher, just to stop all new entries(books, games, TV shows, etc.,)
Nothing cdpr can do will top Witcher 1 or Witcher 3 — both very good in their own ways, especially the DLC for Witcher 3.
The franchise is going to be milked to death, the Netflix adaptation is the obvious start of it.

I'd buy it and just do nothing with it sans maybe a Witcher 1 remaster with better combat.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Pang (AKA Buster Bros. AKA Pomping World)

I'd just reissue the original arcade cabinets, put one on every gas station and wait for the green to start rolling in.

J1M

Arcane
Anno - Have no interest in modern supply chains or managing multiple maps simultaneously. Would like to see one set in the stone age.

Darksiders - No more prequels. Back to basics with Zelda game structure and God of War combat.

Mass Effect - Would ignore canon/story after Mass Effect 1. Games would focus on frontier law enforcement and exploration, not "dragon invades the realm" stories.

Peggle - A shame what microtransactions did to this one. Perhaps something similar belongs in Mass Effect as a diversion like Pazaak.

Star Wars: Republic Commando - Was great, we just need more of it.

Deus Ex - No more prequels. No more plots that span 3 games. Needs to return to a focus on a conspiracy-driven plot.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Works best as a period piece. All games would be set in the 90's.

Legacy of Kain - Would shift this series into the metroidvania genre. Abilities unlock new areas and story, but with no required order of acquisition. Would need a new player character and a time jump. Playing as a vampire hunter might be interesting.

Wunderbar

Arcane
i would buy disco elysium, then hire josh sawyer to write a super boring sequel about harry dubois going to gulag to fight droves of trashmobs in rtwp.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The Ultima Franchise. I'd want to come out with a true Ultima X while LB is still kicking. Forget everything that happened in Ultima 8 & 9. Bad dream, mandrake root poisoning or something. Game picks up after the Serpent Isle. Britannia is really trashed, just like in Avatars dreams in Gorlab swamp. So the Avatar goes back and is forced to take over the throne of LB. All the main chars in Ultima IV are running their respective cities of virtues, all the cities got their own problems. The Avatar has to head on over and see what is going on. Iolo is in Britania, Jaana in Minoc, Katrina in Magincia, that prick with no legs is running Paws - etc!

Now, while he's doing this, The Fellowship is trying to pick up the pieces in a post Guardian world. Pirates in BD are still on the move. The rub? The death of the guardian and the absence of the Avatar has led to a void in the lives of Britannia. They built new on the old, put aside the shrines, forgot the Fellowship, and while they are prosperous, they are empty. Orcs are integrating into society and do kill a lot and steal, but it's only because the Avatar was a jerk to them in the past. Magic is still having problems but not because of Blackrock, but because of technology (yes, I would rip that off from Arcanum!)

The main game engine would be an improved overhead U7 engine. Combat, it's an improved Witcher 1 combat, everyone loved that!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Japanese Wizardries.
Then remake them with non-anime graphics, and remove the originals from all digital distribution (maybe Trent Shyster was on to something after all?).

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Call of fucking duty and GTA. And just about every other shooter out there.

Why? Because you need a moneymaker franchise to keep bringing in the cash and then develop the next games in various other series, but this time with full AAA budget and polish.
Basically take any of your favorite games and imagine if they had better or polished mechanics, gameplay, controls, QoL improvements and lastly better graphics or art style or whatever.
Previous posters already covered lots of great series so yeah, first have the moneymaker and in parallel develop actually good, passionate sequels for the fans.

Strange question, if i wanted to make money it would be obviously pokemon, low effort to make, sheep fanbase that buys anything pokemon related.

If it was games that i wanted a sequel, then it would be games with unique ideas that lack spiritual successors or clones, like Master of Magic, Black and White, Sacrifice, Space Rangers...

and by the way, that's a good idea for a thread: "unique games that lack Spiritual Successors".

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Fallout
fc5e7cad724d25e2dcc3ef977aeb1b23.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom