Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Unreal Evolution Mod: Now Released

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
dodging seems pretty useless in singleplayer, you can easily beat the game without ever using it, its a pointless change imo

Ash

Arcane
Hotfix for dodging issues some users are experiencing: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/551251090834980885/692090509585416192/UnrealEvolution.u

Simply place in Unreal/System and overwrite when prompted.

This hotfix is only necessary if you downloaded Unreal Evolution prior to the date of this post (Mar 24 2020 @12:30PM GMT-4)

dodging seems pretty useless in singleplayer, you can easily beat the game without ever using it, its a pointless change imo

How is it a pointless change if I've made dodge better, thereby no longer "pretty useless"? Your post seems to overlook this. It's far superior to strafing now under the correct circumstances.

You get three dodges in succession before cooldown period (vanilla only one dodge) + each dodge itself covers more ground faster.

Last edited:

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2

Lemming42

Arcane
This is great so far, really good work. Just got the rocket launcher from the water temple. Putting every single possible upgrade canister into the Dispersion Pistol, hope it pays off.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Still experiencing the dodge bug after applying the hotfix. Started happening as soon as I changed my dodge bind, and now the game continuously spams dodge.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Still experiencing the dodge bug after applying the hotfix. Started happening as soon as I changed my dodge bind, and now the game continuously spams dodge.
Go into System\User.ini and try removing the bind for FeignDeath, then rebind dodge in game. The ini bind is the source of the problem.

Ash

Arcane
I don't see why the hotfix wouldn't work. RefreshDodgeKey() is called on login (and then some) that it should fix his problem right away....

If you're sure you installed the hotfix properly biscotti, still doesn't work, then yeah just do what RoSoDude said and there should be no more problem.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
I don't see why the hotfix wouldn't work. RefreshDodgeKey() is called on login (and then some) that it should fix his problem right away....

If you're sure you installed the hotfix properly biscotti, still doesn't work, then yeah just do what RoSoDude said and there should be no more problem.

I dropped the hotfixed file into the System folder of my Unreal installation and overwrote the one that was present, as per the instructions. I attempted RoSoDude's fix but alas, as soon as I rebind the dodge key and press it once the game will relentlessly keep dodging until I reload.
I noticed binding the dodge key ingame binds said key to FeignDeath in the ini file. Not sure if that's intended behavior.

RoSoDude

Arcane

I dropped the hotfixed file into the System folder of my Unreal installation and overwrote the one that was present, as per the instructions. I attempted RoSoDude's fix but alas, as soon as I rebind the dodge key and press it once the game will relentlessly keep dodging until I reload.
I noticed binding the dodge key ingame binds said key to FeignDeath in the ini file. Not sure if that's intended behavior.

It is intended behavior, as Dodge (Hold) replaces the Feign Death command which was useless in single player.

Another potential solution: in User.ini, make sure every instance of "[key]=FeignDeath" is actually "[key]=FeignDeath | OnRelease FeignDeath2". Then once you're in game, press and release the dodge key once. This binding should be getting checked on load and every dodge as Ash notes, but maybe there's an install problem or something else funky going on. If there's still somehow a problem, others were able to reset their dodge by jumping into water, after which these ini/bind fixes should go into effect.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
It's a fresh Unreal Gold install with the OldUnreal 227i patch applied. I did raise the framerate cap to 144 fps on the OpenGL renderer, I don't know if that might be causing unexpected behavior.

Okay, changing the bindings to what you suggested seems to have fixed the issue.

HansDampf

Arcane
When I force anti-aliasing I'm getting lines at the top and left side of the screen. It's as if the image moved down and right by one pixel. When I change to windowed mode and back to fullscreen again with Alt+Enter the lines disappear but come back after a few seconds. How do I get rid of them permanently?
8qlCdsV.jpg
And is it possible to scale the HUD x2 like in GMDX?

Another potential solution: in User.ini, make sure every instance of "[key]=FeignDeath" is actually "[key]=FeignDeath | OnRelease FeignDeath2".
I had the same problem, btw, and this line solved it for me as well.

schru

Arcane
When I force anti-aliasing I'm getting lines at the top and left side of the screen. It's as if the image moved down and right by one pixel. When I change to windowed mode and back to fullscreen again with Alt+Enter the lines disappear but come back after a few seconds. How do I get rid of them permanently?
8qlCdsV.jpg
And is it possible to scale the HUD x2 like in GMDX?
For anti-aliasing, have you tried enabling it in one of the renderers provided in the OldUnreal patch? The setting is available in the advanced renderer settings, which can be accessed by typing in settings in the console.

As for HUD scaling, one way I know of is to run the game with the dgVoodoo wrapper with the Dx8 or 9 renderer, setting a low resolution inside the game and then one suitable for your monitor in dgVoodoo's DirectX tab. Here's what it looks like (the CRT effect is optional):

image002.jpg

HansDampf

Arcane
For anti-aliasing, have you tried enabling it in one of the renderers provided in the OldUnreal patch? The setting is available in the advanced renderer settings, which can be accessed by typing in settings in the console.
I've tried AA via nvidia inspector, advanced renderer settings in Unreal, and MSAA in dgVoodoo settings. It's always the same result. The lines always reappear when I enter a different room (or sector?).
However...

As for HUD scaling, one way I know of is to run the game with the dgVoodoo wrapper with the Dx8 or 9 renderer, setting a low resolution inside the game and then one suitable for your monitor in dgVoodoo's DirectX tab. Here's what it looks like (the CRT effect is optional):

image002.jpg
This had a nice side effect. I set the resolution to 1280x720, and it looks like the top line is cut off. I'm fine with this.

Ubx6EMz.jpg
The HUD is still small. But with lower resolutions I'd have to play in 4:3 mode.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Another problem. Why aren't the trees transparent?

I think that's a problem with the renderer. I don't know how to fix it, though. All I can suggest is Google.

I'm at the Demon Crater map now. The portal near the end of the map doesn't have the usual rippling vortex graphic, but instead looks like this:

weird.jpg

I switched from OpenGL to DX9 but it still looks like this. I have no clue if it's a bug with Unreal Evolution or the HD texture packs or the renderer or the unofficial patch or what. Any ideas, anyone?

HansDampf

Arcane
I think that's a problem with the renderer. I don't know how to fix it, though. All I can suggest is Google.
I switched to D3D9, and now it's rendered properly. I hope it didn't break anything else.
sweatonmybrow.png

schru

Arcane
I switched to D3D9, and now it's rendered properly. I hope it didn't break anything else.
sweatonmybrow.png
You should disable MultiTexture in the renderer, though, as the sky is rendered incorrectly in your screenshot. This applies to all DirectX and OpenGL renderers.

I have the same problem with the portal in Demon Crater.

Parsifarka

Arcane
I've been stuck with a technical error for more than a week now; I know it's not caused by this mod but I wonder whether you would know how to fix it: I get a General Protection Fault any time the Temple of Vandora loads, first time I encounter this issue in the game which so far had been working properly.
I read that I should disable DEP, but that has been done and the problem persists; I also tried lowering graphical detail, nothing changed. I'm using the HD textures recommended here, but if I remove them and reinstal the game my current savegames are not available for loading, which is quite a nuisance.
Other than that I like how the mod made me hate the fully armored skaarj, each combat feels like a duel; but it's unsatisfying how the automag remains the most useful weapon in the game (when there's enough distance) so far as rockets are still way too slow and deal too low damage, while the ASMD isn't that much better than the automag either even with the upgraded damage. The upgraded stinger is cool, but I feel there are too many upgrades for reducing recoil which isn't something that significant whereas more damage dealing would be welcome.

HansDampf

Arcane
Finished it on Unreal difficulty. The new Queen is
nice.png

Whoever says you don't need the dodge move is wrong. I rarely used it in vanilla either, but with this mod it is required, especially against the Skaarj Troopers and also the Flak Brutes.

I was afraid the weapon upgrades would only handicap earlier weapons. But it's more like their effectiveness keeps growing throughout the game to counter the increasingly challenging enemies. I agree that too many upgrades just reduce recoil, which can be partly compensated with skill anyway. Some of them are more interesting though, like penetration for the ASMD, or stronger knockback for the Sniper Rifle, that can change your tactics against certain enemies. Best surprise: The Stinger! I've put a lot of upgrades into it, like +60% rate of fire and faster projectile speed. It remains a strong weapon even late in the game, is fun to use, and it avoids being op because it eats ammo pretty fast. The GES Bio Rifle otoh still felt useless. But I also didn't bother upgrading it much. It's just an awkward weapon, and I mostly used it in easy fights to conserve ammo for other weapons.

I'm curious about hardcore mode now.

DH4ZoiZ.jpg

This ramp in Ceremony is broken. When I try to go up I fall through the floor.

bnz6rSd.jpg

This effect at the beginning of SpireVillage would just stay there forever. Some trigger not firing?

XF0gyi4.jpg

This part in Sunspire has invisible water.

gvXX1Uh.jpg

The portal in Demon Crater.
I've been stuck with a technical error for more than a week now; I know it's not caused by this mod but I wonder whether you would know how to fix it: I get a General Protection Fault any time the Temple of Vandora loads, first time I encounter this issue in the game which so far had been working properly.
I remember my game crashed at the level transition, but I could load the auto-save and continue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom