Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - the final chapter from Eidos Montreal

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There are also direct references to Rambo and other 80s action films.

Not just in TR2013. In Shadow the achievement for ambushing an enemy while caked in mud is called "First Blood". There are a lot of references like that across the trilogy.

Falksi

Arcane
TR13 was awesome for many of the reasons mentioned. It was a brutal ride of watching Lara transition from girl to woman, and the whole shebang got the bloods pumping.

Rise I found boring as fuck, as it decided to copy the open world trend, and said ride went from rollercoaster to mobility scooter.

I've got Shadow sat ready to play, so I'm hoping it offers more than Rise at least.

A horse of course

Best tits: 2013 (NOT the re-released version for PS4/X1, they fucked her up)
Best Face: Rise
Best NOTHING: Shadow

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The Mayan city is awesome and its tombs are the best in all of nu-Tomb Raider.

I thought they were easily the worst, and I basically only play the game for the tombs. They were very samey in design even if they were bigger.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've only played 2013, and enjoyed it a lot despite it being so popamole. I hear the third one is more about stealth and puzzles, which makes me think it would be my favorite, but who knows.

Falksi

Arcane
What a bag of dull boring wank this is. I thrived on 2013 and to me it was a far better game for it's more linear structure & constant intense combat.

This is just bollocks. All you do is explore & solve puzzles, but none of that is particularly fun or well done either.

Semiurge

Cipher
She frantically gasps and whimpers when she struggles and fights with enemies, in a way that sounds like a woman who is in genuine distress and who is just barely surviving.

XjTp.gif

Dodo1610

Arcane
I liked all three games but I enjoyed Rise the most, the game had some of the best environments I have ever seen in a video game. My main complaint about Shadow is the nonexistent pacing. Also they fucked up Trinity. In Rise they at least were distinctly Christian and they had some depth when your read the collectibles. But in Shadow the have lost any personality and simply became generic villains.

janior

Arcane
Patron
No, but previous nu tomb raider games are better than this one.
How can they be better this nu tomb raider has the cutest Lara and the grafix are the best lookin.

I played first nu tomb raider when it came out, wasn't impressed by it, only played for an hour, got annoyed with QTE and never played it again.
Did they remove QTE by a chance in next games?

Wunderbar

Arcane
I played first nu tomb raider when it came out, wasn't impressed by it, only played for an hour, got annoyed with QTE and never played it again.
the first nu tomb raider is by far the best of nu-trilogy. A brutal R-rated pulpy exploitation action, chock full of ridiculous setpiece moments and excessive gore, what's not to love?
"Rise" is just uncharted 2 clone where you fight boring mercenaries in some snowy location, "shadow" almost ditches combat in favor of braindead platforming with no challenge.
Did they remove QTE by a chance in next games?
QTEs are still present, but toned down difficulty-wise.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can anyone share impressions of the image quailty at the same quality settings in DX12 vs DX11?

I wonder if it's worth installing a Windows 10 to play this game.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can anyone share impressions of the image quailty at the same quality settings in DX12 vs DX11?

I don't think the difference between 11 and 12 is generally about quality. It's more about performance - on modern comps 12 should render shit faster or some such.
Thanks! My impression was the same - in reviews everything anyone mentions are the performance improvements, no one talks about improved image quality.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Bumping this thread because it's more recent - I'm finsihing TR2013 today. After trying it out for a couple of hours and leaving it back in 2014, I found it surprisingly entertaining, something like a better, more varied Max Payne with some puzzles added.

I am wondering if I should skip Rise of the Tomb Raider and continue directly with Shadows, or give Rise its 15-20 hours as well? My concern is that if I play the second game before reaching the third, the developers' tricks of the design (surprises, combat, puzzles) may get old for me by the time I reach the newest game and actually reduce the fun I would have with it.

I am not heavily on the combat-gameplay side. In fact I think TR2013 was a bit too much on the combat side and could have used more exploration, which probably makes Shadows the better fit for me. But on the other hand, I don't know if I'm missing anything interesting from the B-movie story and anything cool from exploration in Rise of the Tomb Raider.

What's your advice? Rise or Shadows next?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What's your advice? Rise or Shadows next?

I liked Rise by far the best (except Lara, her wahmenization starts in Rise), I even 100%-ed it. Then again I like to play open-world games occasionally and Rise felt like an AC game done right - open-world-ish without the bloat. Plus I liked the amount of combat in Rise. Also exploration is by far the best.

Shadow is just a bad game man. It has the best tombs, yes, and it looks like next-gen. BUT:

- It's turbo woke (4/5 hero characters are strong, stunninbrave wahmen, the last one is a teenage boy of colour)
- the pacing is absolutely terrible (you WILL be bored to death half-way through)
- Lara goes from likeable in 2013 and "meh" in Rise to absolutely unbearable in Shadow
- it's MUCH less combat-heavy but the basic structure is copied from Rise so the game still showers you with tons of XP, abilities, gear, weapons, crafting materials etc. even though you don't never really need any of it
- the story is absolutely pants-on-head retarded

It's made by a completely different studio and it's boring, banal, vapid, short, linear and the gameplay systems are completely broken. Tombs are great but if you don't give a single flying shit about the main game they feel pointless. So that's that.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Interesting. I've read opinions here that say Shadow actually refines the gameplay.

I've conceded that the story will be 80s action movie tier, but with the modern "fierce, brave, stunning" cliches when it comes to characters. Funny, I thought Pratchett was at the bottom of this trend in TR but you say when she left the trend became stronger in Shadow.

I don't have personal feelings for Lara, so if her character loses depth in Shadow, this doesn't worry me that much. In the worst case I'll just adjust my fantasies to "revenge fuck" :lol:

The main thing I'm expecting from Shadows is tough puzzles, more open areas than in TR2013, and pretty graphics (which I can see are there). I'm trying to be prudent by setting the bar low.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom