Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Archibald

Arcane
Nobody cares if EA gets 88/12 or 50/50.

Sure, it matters for smaller companies, but most of the money still goes thru big dogs.

passerby

Arcane
They might be pitching that to consumers hoping they will care, but that's their message isn't it?

Not only they don't care, the very concept of caring about that won't even cross their mind and they find the idea revolting if you point it out.

It was a bit surprising for me to learn, but it was a valuable insight into a sheeple mindset and a life lesson, to never, ever expect for anyone to care about my business in the slightest.
I've got rid of a layer of naivetee, by witnessing this. For example, I'll never count on employee, to care about my business now.

Black Angel

Arcane
88/12 thingy is fine but not enough alone, they failed mostly because they've announced in advance these are all timed exclusives, or didn't pay enough to make them permanent exclusives.
They should just kept the timed nature of exclusives secret and wait to see what happens, there was literally no advantage to announcing it in advance and I can't wrap my head around why they did it.
So that the customers who expected to get the games anywhere else (not just Steam, but also GOG, itch.io, etc etc), who were already pretty pissed off when they announced the exclusivity in advance, to be even MORE pissed off?

Not only they don't care, the very concept of caring about that won't even cross their mind and they find the idea revolting if you point it out.

It was a bit surprising for me to learn, but it was a valuable insight into a sheeple mindset and a life lesson, to never, ever expect for anyone to care about my business in the slightest.
I've got rid of a layer of naivetee, by witnessing this. For example, I'll never count on employee, to care about my business now.
Ah yes. There it is, the Steam ((((fanboy)))) argument once again. It doesn't even fucking matter that the one who lose the most in Epic's shenanigans is GOG, who have less customer base and market share than Steam, and iirc they even admitted that they COULD compete with Steam, provided they can also get same release day for high profile games as Steam's, and Epic's shenanigans intercepted that.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The thing is Epic could have easily got good publicity with players. At the start, instead of buying already kickstared games they should have went out and just do what they are doing now, giving money to developers to make games with limited exclusivity on their store.

Fucking over fans made bad first impression of Epic store, and first impressions are pretty important in business.

Imagine them going to Phoenix Point devs before kickstarter and giving them bunch of money to make the game as they wish. Even here nobody would mind one year of exclusivity as long as we can get true Xcom spiritual successor.

But they didnt care what fans think since in their mind if they get exclusivity fans will come no matter what.

Also 88/12 split is something that players care a bit when they buy games from indie devs. People dont care if Ubisoft or Gearbox are getting that split, especially when you get nothing in return and are forced to use shitty platform.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I don't care about people who buy my games and was SHOCKED to find out they don't care about me too!

Black Angel

Arcane
In any other industry, producers who didn't care about their customers (and even showed a slightest scorn) would quickly lose not only money but also reputation.

Meanwhile, here not only we have a lot of greedy arrogant shameless fuckers, but also drones ready to defend them, with even the nerve to call others 'drones'.

abija

Prophet
Any? Look at apple...

Also, people defending their choices is as common as it gets. Everyone's doctor/stylist/store/whatever the fuck else is "just the best". I know very few people that I can actually get some useful information from.

passerby

Arcane
The thing is Epic could have easily got good publicity with players. At the start, instead of buying already kickstared games they should have went out and just do what they are doing now, giving money to developers to make games with limited exclusivity on their store.

Fucking over fans made bad first impression of Epic store, and first impressions are pretty important in business.

Imagine them going to Phoenix Point devs before kickstarter and giving them bunch of money to make the game as they wish. Even here nobody would mind one year of exclusivity as long as we can get true Xcom spiritual successor.

Except without Epic you'd never got a chance to refund Phoenix Point that didn't met your expectations as a backer, neither you would get a finished game at all since they were running out of money at that point and backers that kept their pledge will even get the Steam/GoG key after exclusivity period. So backers didn't loose anything on this deal, Epic pretty much gave the money required to make the game possible, as you claim would buy them your goodwill and you still bitch about it.

No Steam, no buy sheeples like you, wouldn't buy anything on Epic anyway, you would just have one less retarded talking point to bitch about and Phoenix Point would be even more of a failure, that's all that would change.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane

Except without Epic you'd never got a chance to refund Phoenix Point that didn't met your expectations as a backer, neither you would get a finished game at all since they were running out of money at that point and backers that kept their pledge will even get the Steam/GoG key after exclusivity period. So backers didn't loose anything on this deal, Epic pretty much gave the money required to make the game possible, as you claim would buy them your goodwill and you still bitch about it.

No Steam, no buy sheeples like you, wouldn't buy anything on Epic anyway, you would just have one less retarded talking point to bitch about and Phoenix Point would be even more of a failure, that's all that would change.
Let's not blame the man offering money for the moral and contractual failings of the man accepting money.

If they couldn't accept the money without launching on Steam for backers on day 1, they should have accepted less money or turned down the deal.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Except without Epic you'd never got a chance to refund Phoenix Point that didn't met your expectations as a backer,

I backed bunch of games and was disappointing in most of them, yet I never asked for a refund because game not meeting expectations is a risk of kickstarter.

neither you would get a finished game at all since they were running out of money at that point

There were kickstarters that ran out of money and had to start new crowdfunding campaigns to get the money necessary to finish the game. If their reason for taking Epic deal was ONLY due need of funds for finishing the game they should have done that first and take the deal only if all other options failed. But lets not kid ourself here they took the money because it was enough money for not only finish the game but to put a lot of it in their own pockets and fans who kickstarted their game can go fuck themselves.

and backers that kept their pledge will even get the Steam/GoG key after exclusivity period.

You must be stupid if you cant see how people who backed the game and expected to actually play the game when it was released on the platform of their choosing, as promised, instead of waiting for a WHOLE YEAR, then we have nothing more to discuss.

So backers didn't loose anything on this deal, Epic pretty much gave the money required to make the game possible, as you claim would buy them your goodwill and you still bitch about it.

Oh wait you are stupid.

I actually bought a game on Epic, Subnautica Sub Zero for 5.99 euros and Im thinking of buying Outward for the same price if a friend of mine wants to play coop. The thing is there is absolutely no other reason to buy game in EPIC beside it being dirt cheap. If the difference in price is few euros Ill rather buy it on Steam since Its far superior platform and I have all my games on a same place.

The fact is that what you EPIC shills have been claiming that how EPIC with its business practices will make PC gaming more healthier has not really turned into reality. For all that shilling the PC scene is actually worse since only people who profited off this are developers who were paid lots of money for exclusivity. And even that is maybe only short term profit since we dont know how good would those game preformed it they launched on Steam form day 1.

So keep dreaming that in the future EPIC will make a huge dent in the market, make the scene better for actual players so you can finally say "I told you so!" and be proud that all that dick sucking of EPIC didnt go in vain.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Except without Epic you'd never got a chance to refund the game that didn't met your expectations, neither you would get a finished game at all since they were running out of money at that point and backers will even get the Steam/GoG key after exclusivity period.
So backers didn't loose anything on this deal, Epic pretty much gave them money to make the game possible, as you claim would buy them your goodwill and you still bitch about it.

No Steam, no buy sheeples like you, still wouldn't buy anything on Epic, you would have only one less retarded talking point to bitch about and that's all that would change.
"except without the moneyhat offerer, I'd never got a chance to get back the money I used to make an interesting looking game become reality"

2dt6B8P.png

First, I'm pretty sure most Kickstarter backers for any project knows that there's always the risk of project being a disappointment, and that's the risk they're willing to take (if they aren't and still back the projects, jokes on them). Second, despite Epic's funding, Phoenix Point still released in a poor, unfinished, buggy state. So which side does that speak more about, backers' lack of empathy and understanding towards Snapshot Games, or Snapshot Games' incompetence for not being able to complete the game with over 700k USD they originally asked for?

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Probably prepping it for the Switch port
They've already ported the game to the Switch.
No, it's clear scumbag deep dick silver has discovered that EGS can act as their personal ATM if they squeeze out a low effort rerelease every time they want to make a withdraw.
It would be funny as fuck if their shenanigans ruin this for everyone else and Epic has to change their policy on how they deal out $$$, if it happens i'll take back all the shit I've said about them in the past.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
Being exclusive to Steam is objectively better than being exclusive to Epic tho.

Last night I had a back pain so I lied down, ended up playing Into the Breach on my phone through Steam Link. Great little feature. Meanwhile Epic doesn't even have an FPS counter and its wishlist is lackluster as hell. So I will be that guy and say it: Steam's "exclusive games" are great compared to Epic's exclusive games, because Steam itself is a great client, a great store, has great customer experience (at least for me) :obviously:
I see, "consumers should be able to choose wherever they buy games" was always just an excuse. The cat is out the bag, people just see EGS as a threat to PC gaming Steam.

I don't personally see a major difference between funding an exclusive and buying one, from a consumer perspective

There is a difference when a said exclusive is a kickstarted game that was kickstarted with promised Steam release.

Only that those people now had to wait for a year before playing their game.
Like? Most Epic exclusives weren't even kickstarted.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
There ya go, they're going to fund and publish the games themselves, making the exclusivity justified and okay according to what you've all been saying. The crisis is over! :smug:
The exclusives were always earned. They literally paid for them with their own money.

For comparison, nobody blamed Epic for offering Fortnite only through the Epic Launcher on PC. Nor Unreal Tournament, Paragon, or when they gave away Shadow Complex.

If you look at the first few pages of this thread you could also see that most people were more curious than annoyed about what they're going to do with their game Store before both their philosophy towards consumers (they are scum, have to be put in their place and forced to use something they don't like and should have no input or voice into what they like or dislike by being disallowed to rate, review or in any other way provide feedback to games released on their store) and their business practices (bribes for Exclusivity) became clear.
Oh but you can. EGS games link to the developers' official Twitter/Discord/Boards. Don't base things on internet memes.

Edit: also complaining about "being forced to use something they don't like" when Steam allows DRM for physical copies of games is lol

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
A: B-but there's a difference between 1st party and 3rd party exclusives you know!

B: Technically, sure, but what's the difference for the consumer?

A: It's just different, they didn't develop that game!

B: Yeah but you're being mad as a consumer here. What's the difference for you as a consumer?

A: It's different! Different!

B: Both the 1st party game and the 3rd party game can only be bought in one store. Why are you mad at one and not the other?

A: It's....just not the same.

This thread for the past 15 months.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom