Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Dreams of Furiae is a new Neverwinter Nights premium module based in the Planescape setting

jac8awol

Arbiter
To a simple consumer such as myself, seeing half-assed projects like this sad, but no more. To talented amateur developer such as Rogueknight, seeing this kind of stuff must be particularly galling. Mr RK333 has pumped out superior quality work for free, as a labour of love, and then has to watch some well-connected backdoor troglodyte take a paid-for dump all over the official franchise.

Terra

Cipher
A Dance with Rogues premium module remaster can't be far off if this is the calibre of content they're pushing out now.

Gargaune

Magister
If Beamdog has any interest in such a project, they have yet to inform me.
I was joshing, mostly, I imagine if Beamdog wanted to pick your series up, all the third-party tilesets would be a challenge to license or rebuild. Still, if they did want to publish a massive new campaign for their EE, I'm sure even the Codex would be happy neutral-positive with Swordflight provided they committed to add value.

I do wonder if anyone involved with this particular module had any previous experience with the NWN toolset. It comes across as very amateurish. By contrast (if they paid me enough for such a project to be worth the effort) I could probably crank out a 10 hour module in several months whose quality would be at least as high as many of the existing premium modules. There are other experienced NWN modders out there too, at least some of whom would probably be happy to work for peanuts just for the prestige of becoming an actual professional developer.
I'm beginning to suspect there's a lot of uncertainty at Beamdog regarding NWN EE. What people really want from it is large, proper new campaigns (and full party controls, but I know you're not in that camp), but so far Beamdog have only published a polished version of DoD, a completed TotM, and this thing. And it's been two years. Sure, TotM's release fit the bill for a "proper new campaign", but it also had a significant chunk of work already done since Atari's Premium Modules programme. I don't know the reasons, maybe the EE install base just doesn't justify significant further investment, but their content release so far comes across as very timid.

In other news, I saw a dev refer to the new "keyholing" effect as a "mobile innovation" over on the official forums. I believe we've been through this before with the sprite outlines for the Infinity Engine, you go through all the trouble of developing a new "feature" like that but then don't bother to throw it a new checkbox toggle in Options. Anyway... keyholing... heh.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What Beamdog could do is set up an "Item Store" for NWN:EE on Steam where people could offer their modules for sale, similar to The Quest: https://store.steampowered.com/itemstore/428880/

But I guess WOTC would have to authorize it and I have a feeling they wouldn't.

Premium modules are one thing, but allowing modders to freely offer their mods as paid products opens up a whole new can of worms and only harms the modding community in the long run.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What Beamdog could do is set up an "Item Store" for NWN:EE on Steam where people could offer their modules for sale, similar to The Quest: https://store.steampowered.com/itemstore/428880/

But I guess WOTC would have to authorize it and I have a feeling they wouldn't.

Premium modules are one thing, but allowing modders to freely offer their mods as paid products opens up a whole new can of worms and only harms the modding community in the long run.

Not freely. The item store isn't like that Skyrim paid mods experiment that got cancelled. Beamdog would still have to authorize each one. Functionally it's like DLC, but doesn't appear as "official".

rogueknight333

Arbiter
I was joshing, mostly, I imagine if Beamdog wanted to pick your series up, all the third-party tilesets would be a challenge to license or rebuild. Still, if they did want to publish a massive new campaign for their EE, I'm sure even the Codex would be happy neutral-positive with Swordflight provided they committed to add value.

Swordflight would indeed be quite complicated to turn into a premium product, for a variety of reasons (use of third-party content, my reluctance to abruptly put something that has so far been available free behind a paywall, its sheer size, etc.). As I suggested, though, it would not be that difficult for me to make short modules (and many of the existing premium modules are quite short too) of reasonable quality if I had enough incentive to do so. I mean, I made Snow Hunt in just one month, and while I do not think that particular module is all that spectacular, I also do not think it is that much worse than some of the existing DLCs. Imagine what I could do if I had two months to work. Of course, that is all very hypothetical and I do not know that I would necessarily even want to work for Beamdog, but, again, it is not as if I were the only experienced NWN modder out there.

I'm beginning to suspect there's a lot of uncertainty at Beamdog regarding NWN EE. What people really want from it is large, proper new campaigns ...

Yes, it does seem odd how little they are doing with NWN. Given how low their standards for DLC are, you would think they could churn out a lot more of it. On the initial release, they could really have used something more exciting for the average player than all the technical stuff they actually offered at that time. And now they are trying to kinda/sort of restart the premium module program but with, apparently, no clear idea of what they want to do with it.

If Beamdog could make Siege of Dragonspear, which was effectively a Baldur's Gate mod, you would think they could make premium NWN modules. Working with the NWN toolset is significantly easier than trying to mod Baldur's Gate.

If they are not prepared to make such things themselves, for whatever reason, Bioware and Ossian already paved the way for drafting talent from the larger NWN community during the original Premium module program, so why not follow in their footsteps?

It could be that WoTC is being difficult about licensing their settings, but if so why they would make an exception for this Furiae module, of all things, is yet another mystery. Maybe because the Descent into Avernus connection makes it a tie-in with other products they want to promote?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Imagine what I could do if I had two months to work.

You know, I'm sold. Maybe Infinitron can introduce rogueknight333 to Beamdong and ask them to hire him to make a module. Heck even with only original assets (which is included in all Premium Module so far) I am pretty sure you can blow these "Premium" modules out of the water.

Gargaune

Magister
Swordflight would indeed be quite complicated to turn into a premium product, for a variety of reasons (use of third-party content, my reluctance to abruptly put something that has so far been available free behind a paywall, its sheer size, etc.). As I suggested, though, it would not be that difficult for me to make short modules (and many of the existing premium modules are quite short too) of reasonable quality if I had enough incentive to do so. I mean, I made Snow Hunt in just one month, and while I do not think that particular module is all that spectacular, I also do not think it is that much worse than some of the existing DLCs. Imagine what I could do if I had two months to work. Of course, that is all very hypothetical and I do not know that I would necessarily even want to work for Beamdog, but, again, it is not as if I were the only experienced NWN modder out there.

Just while we're discussing pure hypotheticals, to their credit, Beamdog did not have DoD removed from the Vault when they published the EE version, nor was the old, partial build of TotM taken down, but yes, it stands to reason that any development would be EE-exclusive. Obviously could be a problem with the last two Swordflight chapters, but a new, original module... hell, I'd be interested.

Yes, it does seem odd how little they are doing with NWN. Given how low their standards for DLC are, you would think they could churn out a lot more of it. On the initial release, they could really have used something more exciting for the average player than all the technical stuff they actually offered at that time.

This is pure speculation on my part, since we no longer have Steamspy data to look at, but I suspect that NWN EE underperformed commercially. The thing is that they rolled it out too early, without any killer selling point. The Codex approach to the Infinity Engine games is to "just mod it", but you do have to mod them if you want to enjoy them on modern systems. This isn't the case with NWN Diamond Edition, unless you're one of those unlucky souls for whom it doesn't start at all, your biggest issue is small text at high resolutions.

There were two obvious features Beamdog could've pursued to entice buyers: a graphical ovehaul (characters at least) and full party controls of some kind. The former would've been costly but the latter is a systemic change for a couple of programmers to hammer out, and both were on the table at first, but they've slowly drifted right into limbo. The third possible selling point was new campaigns but we didn't get any of that until TotM came out more than a year after launch. DoD doesn't count, I did pick up the EE at that point just to kick some money Ossian's way, but the "free" version was already a complete and robust module.

Instead they went for the mobile market and complicated their pipelines, but that's not exactly the biggest market one envisages for diehard CRPG enthusiasts. Meanwhile the buzz fizzled and their own NWN EE forums are hard at work developing dustbunnies.

It could be that WoTC is being difficult about licensing their settings, but if so why they would make an exception for this Furiae module, of all things, is yet another mystery. Maybe because the Descent into Avernus connection makes it a tie-in with other products they want to promote?

Now there's the rub. In fact, I can't help but wonder whether there's licensing issues affecting more than just NWN EE efforts. TotM still hasn't made it to their own store, has it? Why? Did they run out of hard drive space? Funnily enough, they do sell the soundtrack for it. Also, the "big" 2.6 IE EE patch and that nasty pathfinding bug that 2.5 introduced, still pending after a year. They couldn't spare one programmer to make an interim patch? For a thing that a modder developed a revert to eventually? If it's release overheads that's the problem, just borrow an Owlcat developer, they can publish six hotfixes in as many hours. There's gotta be something else going on over there.

As for this Furiae module... Maybe a promotional tie-in by WotC to hype up their Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus book and indirectly, hopping on brand names, Baldur's Gate 3? Or maybe the opposite and it's just a quick buck that got greenlit due to WotC disinterest in Planescape, who can tell anymore.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am more interested in learning how these jokers got the chance to push out such a sub-par module.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom