Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Burnout gaming thread

Vatnik Wumao
I never enjoyed the map-painting aspect, primarily because it is not realistic as it ignores all the important processes to which it should lead. It's gamey and boring. This is why Victoria 2 which concentrates more on POPs and industry feels so much more alive, although people still play it incorrectly ("oh look now the whole world is painted Krakow, I'm so skilled!")
It can be fun to play them if you set goals (& limits) for yourself in pursuit of a somewhat historically plausible scenario, but even that's quite gimmicky. Especially in CK2, where the map already looks historically unrecognizable in a hundred years or so even if you're playing 'tall' as it were and not having a geopolitical impact. EU IV is a bit better in this regard, but still not by much.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
metro exodus is probably the last game in recent memory that has knocked my socks off. otherwise, indie, low budget efforts (or just old shit) are the current highlights of my gaming hobby

Vatnik Wumao
iu

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
aaron hall's indie 4X/grand strat efforts might interest you if you want something that's partially comparable to what paradox puts out. he's one of the old veterans of the mac/windows demoware scene. they're the only comparable 4X games that i know of that are comparable in detail to stuff like hoi iv or eu iv

https://af.gog.com/game/space_empires_iv_deluxe?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
aaron hall's indie 4X/grand strat efforts might interest you if you want something that's partially comparable to what paradox puts out. he's one of the old veterans of the mac/windows demoware scene. they're the only comparable 4X games that i know of that are comparable in detail to stuff like hoi iv or eu iv

https://af.gog.com/game/space_empires_iv_deluxe?as=1649904300

If we're talking about space-faring 4X games, I've been really diggin' Alpha Centauri the past couple of days.

Curratum

If you've got to the point of burnout, I have the solution for you.

You accept that you will never be as amazed as you were when you were a kid and you just install theHunter Call of the Wild and chill in that, while taking in the gorgeous scenery and ambiance.

I haven't ever felt more "at home" in a game in my 36 years. It's just like a nice place to be, you know? It's a cozy place that feels good.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
If you've got to the point of burnout, I have the solution for you.

You accept that you will never be as amazed as you were when you were a kid and you just install theHunter Call of the Wild and chill in that, while taking in the gorgeous scenery and ambiance.

I haven't ever felt more "at home" in a game in my 36 years. It's just like a nice place to be, you know? It's a cozy place that feels good.

Alternatively you can go to the cemetery and get familiar.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, sorry to cite a big name choice, but ...most recently, Disco Elysium truly blew me away. I still rant about how good it is to friends in real life.

Reinhardt

Arcane
ToEE, i think. I miss days when you could play games blind without spoilers everywhere and min-maxing. Or even earlier with Wizards & Warriors.

And Mana Khemia and Ar Tonelico 2 if you talk about jrpgs.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, sorry to cite a big name choice, but ...most recently, Disco Elysium truly blew me away. I still rant about how good it is to friends in real life.

Yeah, you have friends in real life.

Doom 2, two weeks ago i had a blast playing Doom with custom wads. i beat 3 wads in one week, 30 hours of gameplay in total.

The last WRPG i had a blast playing through was Risen.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Evil Islands. Old game, but I had no prior experience with it, and enjoyed it thouroughly.

Burnt out on most FPS games.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, I feel it again. I'm thinking about replaying Divine Divinity after trying to get into Original Sin, but no, it's just too cringe and I never was into the two party thing.
Another thing I'm waiting for is Shadow Empires, should release in two days and relieve some of the burnout.

Any game that's doing it for you?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Just because a game isn't impressive or puts a big grin on your face every time you load it up doesn't mean you have burn out or that the game isn't enjoyable.
If you're really feeling tired the best thing for you to do is to take a break now and then and do something else in the meantime...

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
What is the last game that you were genuinely amazed by?

Replaying Diablo II and Quake Arcane Dimensions

In terms of new games? Grimoire, Neo Scavenger, Underrail, Escape from the Pit

You know the game that you think about while you're at work, university, school, just waiting to get home?

Yes, I've had that feeling since I was kid... I remember daydreaming about Starcraft, Counter Strike, Heroes III in late 90s

Do you still get that feeling with gaming?

Yes

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The depressing thing is not enjoying video games anymore but trying to force yourself to play them. Time to breakup, find another hobby, watch more movies and shows, fuck your wife, whatever. There's no promise that because you're into something at one stage of your life you will be forever. I was a massive baseball nut in my youth but then grew up to hate the cynical capitalist side of it and bailed. Nothing wrong with that, shit changes.

Luckily I still love RPGs, but I do take long breaks here and there.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Any game that's doing it for you?
Are you aware of Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children? Codex thread
Think XCOM, except in a JRPG universe, with an ever-increasingly complex web of character abilities for PCs and enemies alike, and a large cast of characters with a lot of in-depth build tinkering.
I've been playing a lot of that lately. There's just so much to learn and master, and the feedback of watching your units perform in accordance with your build choices is very satisfying.

The other game I'm back into lately is Middle-Earth: Shadow of War. At Gravewalker difficulty, when you're fighting a dozen orcs at once and you die in 2 hits with no second chances, it's great and punishing Arkham combat chewing gum. I'm still nowhere near finishing the main story - too caught up in an endless web of grudges, domination, and betrayals.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
I've got a small collection of what I call my "Rebound Games". Games whose abject quality is debatable, but never fail to ignite that passion to play even after all these years. I turn to 'em whenever that gaming fatigue sets in and I start having trouble bringing myself to jump into new stuff.

While Mechanicus is my current darling, the last game to evoke that feeling of Must-Devote-Every-Idle-Hour-To-This was Disco Elysium. Spent all my off-time marathoning it for the latter half of the October it released in.

Curratum

you will never be as amazed as you were when you were a kid

Your life must be depressing

I have been playing games since 1989 on an Atari 2600. The last times I was genuinely excited and amazed by a game in the past 20 years were when playing Witcher 3, Dark Souls 2 (started the series with it), Dishonored, STALKER and Amid Evil.

That's 5 games in about 20 years.

Frankly, if you get genuinely excited and can still be as enthralled and engrossed and charmed by a game now the same way you were as a kid, I envy you immensely. These days I see an engine running assets, it's just never the same, unless the game has truly amazing art direction and / or storytelling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom