Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [LP CYOA] I'm a High Tech Hobo Who Stumbled into Another World While Out Scavenging For Parts

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
That persuasion attempt went way better than expected

The tool that we choose should surely depend on the opponent, though. treave we must have observed enough about typical armour design & tactics for junkyard folks now. Do they tend to favour up close and personal combat? Mobility is mentioned as the key going fad right now, and we're going to be criminally outrun and out-dexterity'd. So I don't think the recharging pike will work, but maybe tripping people up is the way?
Common sense of this world dictates that mech's armor only works somewhat against ranged bolts and is useless in melee, our hero is confident that he solved this issue.
I doubt that those fancy fast and agile mechs will be able to do anything at all with their puny bolts as they don't usually pack a magical cannons judging by Georgios's reaction, so they will eventually be forced to engage in melee where they are in for a nasty surprise.

I will follow the hivemind and vote the B3, even though the impractical and hard to use chaindisk is way cooler and hydraulic pike's charging time shouldn't be an issue with our armor if we can get the timing right.

We should also keep in mind that we might face some unexpected trouble if this junkyard champion also doesn't follow the fads.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
B3 but can you let us know just how much us piloting it versus someone else will effect the mechs performance?

Our hobo has fuck-all experience with these armors in particular, but won't trip and fall on his face in the first five seconds at least. Basic movement is possible.

treave we must have observed enough about typical armour design & tactics for junkyard folks now. Do they tend to favour up close and personal combat?

Close combat is preferred, yes. Most knights turn out to not be very good shots.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
tenor.gif

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'll stick with my vote than. After all, we will be fighting a female pilot. I wonder if we can claim her as a prize when we whoop that ass?

Absinthe

Arcane
A1 We need someone desperate enough to pilot this. And I'm pretty sure that as an experienced hobo, our guy has an eye for what's the right kind of poor and desperate fighter who can pilot this.

Failing that, my ranked preference is B4 Fancy net and shitty club: A giant, hard to break, and fucking heavy net we can launch at our enemy and a primitive club (or metal pipe or whatever) to beat them while they're down.

EDIT: Vote's A1>A3>B4

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
B3
we will probably lose embarrassingly but only we can demonstrate the capabilities of our mech, which handles differently than regular gladiators expect.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll stick with my vote than. After all, we will be fighting a female pilot. I wonder if we can claim her as a prize when we whoop that ass?

Isn't acquiring a harem of adoring women a staple of that kind of anime? (I've never watched any, I've just heard it once or twice)

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Huh who wha--

Oh.

Well, the mech is slow, but has two things going for it, thick armor and two cannons. Which we can't operate. Meaning we'd need someone else to make the most of it. Now, who'd be insane enough to get in an untried prototype robot? Are there any japanese teens with daddy issues we can coopt?

A. I need to find a gladiator, and quick. The match is tomorrow night. This city is full of those seeking to get into the arena. Surely I can find a willing guinea pig. The only question is where I should go to find one…
3. Go to the bars. Drinks help negotiations, and someone drunk enough might be willing to help.

If not, start looking for men with impaired decision skills. Who knows, maybe there is a drunken master in there somewhere!

...and I am curious about playing a protagonist who isn't the first to volunteer for whatever heroic duty the plot expects of them.

lightbane

Arcane
B1.

The shovel sounds like a meme and little else.

It's back! I'll have to re-read everything, but this story should be way more fun compared to the endless drivel of Worm x Madoka pedobear commie-friendly crap plus a stronk ugly female protagonist (TM) shit found at SV and partially SB.

Also: Not-EVA fins, magic cannons, black mecha, weaponized black holes... I bet there are more references I missed.

Kipeci

Arcane
Huh who wha--

Oh.

Well, the mech is slow, but has two things going for it, thick armor and two cannons. Which we can't operate. Meaning we'd need someone else to make the most of it. Now, who'd be insane enough to get in an untried prototype robot? Are there any japanese teens with daddy issues we can coopt?

A. I need to find a gladiator, and quick. The match is tomorrow night. This city is full of those seeking to get into the arena. Surely I can find a willing guinea pig. The only question is where I should go to find one…
3. Go to the bars. Drinks help negotiations, and someone drunk enough might be willing to help.

If not, start looking for men with impaired decision skills. Who knows, maybe there is a drunken master in there somewhere!

...and I am curious about playing a protagonist who isn't the first to volunteer for whatever heroic duty the plot expects of them.
Good catch, we can’t use the cannons ourselves? No way I want to rely on shovel-fu alone.

A3

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's my understanding, at least.
“Is that what they call them here? Magic cannons?” I snort. “Well, I suppose this world’s conceived of that concept too. It’s just hooking up the mana capacitator directly to the cannons as a power source. What’s so hard about that?”
[...]
“What’s so hard about… no, never mind. Can this thing even move?”

It could, but slowly. It could track and fire quite quickly but this machine was not going to be winning any prizes for flashy close combat moves.

“It can,” I said. “Or rather, it should. I don’t have the mana capacity to move it for combat, sadly.” The armor required a larger mana capacitator than usual due to its design, and my meagre magical abilities could do nothing more than move it.
This thing is mana-intensive, and our mana reserves are low.
Anyway, as expected of magic armors, mana is the source of its energy. It seems that you need decent mana levels to operate these machines. Most armors have an inbuilt mana capacitator of sorts to assist in energy supply for basic movement, but the energy expenditure during combat is highly draining and the average commoner would likely run out of stamina quite quickly.

Now, knowing this, you’d think that mages or wizards or whatnot would be far better at using these armors. And you’d be right, to a certain extent. A magic user’s larger mana capacity would make the armor they wear faster and stronger. However, their material science doesn’t seem to have progressed far enough to develop armor that can operate under high levels of mana. It seems that putting a mage in a magic armor just makes it almost guaranteed to break apart and blow up the capacitator the moment he tries to exert his full mana in combat. The Junkyard crew tell me that the mages they know don’t have the reflexes to handle high speed combat anyway. It seems that in an actual fight, attack magic is used like artillery. And in mage duels they just seem to stand there and shoot spells at each other, taking turns.

Now, back to the armors. Where was I? Right, I was about to start talking about the weapons. Those are pretty standard. You have your basic giant sword, or spear, or axe, or whatever melee weapon the pilot wants to use. For ranged combat, they use enchanted bolts that are loaded onto canisters that can be attached to the shoulders and the forearms.

Baltika9

Arcane
Huh who wha--

Oh.

Oh yeah, that's a thing. Can't really give a full demonstration of our suit if we fight ourselves, then. Hmmm...

Tigranes

Arcane
The tool that we choose should surely depend on the opponent, though. treave we must have observed enough about typical armour design & tactics for junkyard folks now. Do they tend to favour up close and personal combat? Mobility is mentioned as the key going fad right now, and we're going to be criminally outrun and out-dexterity'd. So I don't think the recharging pike will work, but maybe tripping people up is the way?

B1.

The shovel sounds like a meme and little else.

It's back! I'll have to re-read everything, but this story should be way more fun compared to the endless drivel of Worm x Madoka pedobear commie-friendly crap plus a stronk ugly female protagonist (TM) shit found at SV and partially SB.

Also: Not-EVA fins, magic cannons, black mecha, weaponized black holes... I bet there are more references I missed.

Bx -> B1.

Yeah, we shouldn't ignore the obvious clues unless we have some special idea. It's clear that we're a lumbering hulk (with some bugs guaranteed to happen) up against experienced mobile opponents, so the best thing we can do is trip it up... and then sit on it.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wait, why would the shovel be a meme? If our Hobo is actually really skilled at using a shovel why wouldn't he want to use it? He can trip people with it and it's a good blunt object. I have much more confidence in our ability to use a shovel properly than for us to magically learn how to use a massive, unwieldy, ball and chain weapon.

Kipeci

Arcane
Oh yeah, that's a thing. Can't really give a full demonstration of our suit if we fight ourselves, then. Hmmm...
I was all in for shovels but I think clipping off the ranged options entirely when mana cannons are apparently one of the more exotic features present would be a bad idea. We may not have the mana, but surely we can find some chump who does? It’s not even their arm on the line.

Baltika9

Arcane
I was all in for shovels but I think clipping off the ranged options entirely when mana cannons are apparently one of the more exotic features present would be a bad idea. We may not have the mana, but surely we can find some chump who does? It’s not even their arm on the line.
Alright. Flopping to A3>Ax.

Guys, let's find the pilot we're supposed to fight, get her drunk and hire her to duel herself.
:troll:

Baltika9

Arcane
:salute:

A1 - 1
A3 - 7
B1 - 1
B2 - 2
B3 - 5

Grimgravy - A3
DARKFYRE ERYFKRAD - B3
Azira - B3
ItsChon - A3>B3
Kipeci - A3
Baltika9 - A3>Ax
Kabas - B3
baud - B2
Egosphere - B3
Tigranes - Bx > B1
Absinthe - A1>A3>B4
asxetos - B3
Nevill - A3
lightbane - B2
Esquilax - B2>A3

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom