Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity What makes a "Baldur's Gate" to you?

What are the features without which a game cannot be a part of the "Baldur's Gate" line of games?

• Total voters

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At the risk of sounding like a prat, and writing pages of why I was enamoured with BG 20 years ago: BG was IS just greater than the sum of its parts.

The writing played a major role in setting the tone in BG1, which was better than BG2, but Gaider still did his best work and it carried over. The attention to detail showed the developers actually loved what they were doing with the game & setting. The way it made the player (or was it just me) feel like I was creating and actual living, breathing, historical character in the FR - is one of the reasons BG3 is such a spit in the eye.

I don't think it matters too much to put this and 100 other things into discussion - because in the past 2 decades or so, I've noticed that people get totally different things out of the games than I did. So the original game was like it was produced by the Ford>Ken Miles>Carroll Shelby relationship, and now (decades later) you have a modern company with a new generation have admitted they didn't even know what the original was...and they've been asked to make another one.

Yeah. Ok. :retarded:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Maybe Baldur's Gate is so fucking boring of a town so nothing really needs to take place there. So why name the game Baldur's gate (now a trilogy) if its so damn unimportant. Well, maybe it is important. Has anyone put a list of how many npcs (important or otherwise), quests, important items, hidden features, encounters, and other are located in Baldur's Gate 1-2 and the expansions. A nicely detailed bit on JUST Baldur's Gate the city. Maybe its in the walkthroughs. I think I passed through BG a few times in the Savage Frontier Gold Box games (or was that Neverwinter?)

Compared to Waterdeep (Undermountain, political intrigue of the Masked Lords), or Neverwinter (sole beacon of civilization amid ancient secrets buried beneath an untamed wilderness full of monsters), Baldur's Gate is indeed roughly as interesting as a wet carrot and the last place I would set a series in. I will observe, as sort of a port into Sword Coast from the rest of the world, it is a good location for adventures themed around subversive foreign influences and cults. Any cult that implants itself in Baldur's Gate is in a prime location to spread itself into the rest of Sword Coast or indeed any other point in the world.

Larian's game is still going to be more of a Baldur's Gate game than any game since the first because it still going to be themed around and take place within Baldur's Gate, though.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
It's not a sufficient condition in and of itself, but Larian not being involved is part of Baldur's Gate's quintessence.
Larian can evolve into more serious game dev out there. They should have been given a chance. If not them, BG3 would never take off, probably.
RTWP is part of Baldur's Gate's quintessence though. Despair.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The squid ship fascinated me. I really need to be looking at my spelljammer lore but that's a damn fine air unit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom