Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I just bought a blutooth one. Ill test it when it arrives.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
For games in general, Am i just a fool? I tend to prefer numpad or arrow keys to WASD. Then again, I'm left handed who uses the mouse right-handed.

Left handed people should be using ijkl. Right handed people should be using rdfg but wasd is too ingrained in everyone.

wasd + numpad is good for fighting games on keyboard but personally I prefer arrow keys and asdzxc. I guess I play those left handed.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Monocled people use wklor or ivbw if left-handed

197ec48c378a76a9.jpg

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1073890/Dragon_Fight_VR/

Starr Long
16 subscribers

We created an internal experiment to see how a short, single level, visceral dragon fight could work in VR. We think it came out pretty cool! So we released it for free. Please enjoy.

Starr Long spent some time away from Shroud of the Avatar to develop a new prototype Dragon Fight VR.

The sword you fight the dragon with is an art asset first featured in Shroud of the Avatar.

Neat!

Norfleet

For games in general, Am i just a fool? I tend to prefer numpad or arrow keys to WASD. Then again, I'm left handed who uses the mouse right-handed.
I tend to play a lot of games in general using numpad or arrowkeys to drive, left-mouse to shoot, because those are the same controls you have on a car: Right hand on steering wheel, left hand on gun.

grimace

Arcane
For those of you asking me who ... I present to you:

Terrasurf: Richard Garriott & Starr Long take a ride!

The First Electric Surfboard for Land

Gaming veterans take a ride on the greatest Onewheel accessory ever made! Surf anywhere!

https://www.youtube com/watch?v=08xTgpq3bWo

This video was featured as part of the Shroud of the Avatar weekly video live stream.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
For those of you asking me who ... I present to you:

Terrasurf: Richard Garriott & Starr Long take a ride!

The First Electric Surfboard for Land

Gaming veterans take a ride on the greatest Onewheel accessory ever made! Surf anywhere!

https://www.youtube com/watch?v=08xTgpq3bWo

This video was featured as part of the Shroud of the Avatar weekly video live stream.

The audacity of these fuckers, LOL. Garriot really lives in his own world and Starr huffs his farts to maintain an income. Yeah, we couldn't afford that game and rewards you paid for, guys, but check out these hipster tech surfboards we just bought ourselves! Spend 5k and you can come eat at my house with me!

It's almost admirable how little they care or give a fuck.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The audacity of these fuckers, LOL. Garriot really lives in his own world and Starr huffs his farts to maintain an income. Yeah, we couldn't afford that game and rewards you paid for, guys, but check out these hipster tech surfboards we just bought ourselves! Spend 5k and you can come eat at my house with me!

It's almost admirable how little they care or give a fuck.

It's easy not to when there's still hundreds of crazy people willing to throw stupid amounts of money at them. Especially if it means crap like being able to eat dinner is the presence of their lord and savior.

I keep reminding myself that this man tried to sell his blood in reliquaries and people actually wanted to buy them.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Video set to private, website deleted. A cache was found. Good thing they removed it, as the animated gif wasn't very flattering at all. RIP before it got laughed off a SXSW stage! But some things will live on:
Terrasurf__Richard_Garriott__Starr_Long_take_a_ride_729694_1.gif

Last edited:

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Since I was a retard and fucked up the URL to the archive of a cache without checking if it worked, here it is for real: http://archive.is/hRRnr

I can understand why they sped up the gifs on their site and tried to hide the boards with SURF ANYWHERE! covering them for most of the video - archive link here on a sub about the other flaming bits of this trainwreck of a game: https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar_raw/comments/fa0vjw/feedback_received_surf_dream_canceled_gif_lives/fiw2a86/

Look at the video game legendary rock stars! Buy their shit!
(And blood!)

Check this out about Terrasurf in the documents tab, the top outgoing - the number of attachments... hahaha, nope.

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=88682604&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

This didn't last a week from when Starrgamel Long Gone featured it: https://files.fm/u/w6ybzk5c

grimace

Arcane
EUAojpVXQAEv3x-

Avatars! Reports of toilet paper shortages have even spread throughout New Britannia! To combat this calamity, the high wizards of Novia have combined their magical prowess to enchant the existing Fancy Toilet Paper Holder (recently added to the Crown Store) to become interactive and with an ENDLESS supply of paper! No need to hoard! You'll never run out.

Wipe your ass on the virtues to celebrate the 2 year anniversary of episode one?

Edit:
It's beautiful and really in the game.

wp6essnzyyo41.jpg

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane
Looks like the Virtue of Honesty isn't dead after all:

Represented as the Hand and printed on digital paper you can role play wiping your ass with honesty.

If there was a level of cleverness and hidden symbolism involved with this item released on the second anniversary of the launch of episode 2 . . .

On a psychological level the player purchases the fancy gold "rare" items to play Prince in his Golden Castle to believe he can influence the developers with his real world dollars.

No need to hoard. You'll never run out. Because the digital items can never truly be rare as they are re-introduced to the cash shop in the form of heritage items.

EUAojpVXQAEv3x-

The transfer of ownership from Portalarium to Catnip games also shifts the blame from Lord British and Darkstar to Atos (the backwards Sota, acronym of Shroud of the Avatard).

There truly is no game like Sota! There may never be another game like Sota. This is why Sota fascinates me. I Grimace as I play.

Saduj

Arcane
How is the single player offline mode they promised during Kickstarter?

Eli_Havelock

Learned
How is the single player offline mode they promised during Kickstarter?

1. Load up any game that starts with "Lord British presents..." and play for a bit. Note the intro, the level/character design, the art direction, pretty much everything. It was great, wasn't it?

2. Try to play single player offline in SOTA. It's F2P, don't wimp out.

3. Now you can play pretty much anything else as an improvement; this works great for Ultima IX.

4. Mourn your memories of Ultima all over again.

"Single player offline" is basically playing an emulated MMO all by yourself, where you can buy some of the ca$h shop with looted gold - if you care to grind that much. That is all the game is, grinding. If you're going to mistakenly compare this to UO, consider that SOTA has more grinding in every direction: the only official events consist of DJ Dorkstarr's dance parties with every release like clockwork.

So the cracking of the real remaining lead developer finally throwing that schedule in the trash is going to cause some friction with Lord Brexit's bald buttboy.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
wtf happened with this game? I got in on early access with Steam, thought meh, but it's just started, and then every few months I'd fire the game up to see if something had changed. But each time, none of the fundamental problems that were there from the beginning had changed. Mainly for me, it was the clunkiness of avatar control - just something not smooth or meaty about the connection to my avatar - either the animations, or timing, something, but it was always the same each time I logged in. Some of the backgrounds looked nice, and the combat system looked like it might be interesting later on, but the game just never really grabbed me.

It reminded me a lot of Vanguard: Saga of Heroes - although that was more fleshed-out, there was the same almost-good-but-still clunky vibe to it.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
What happened with SOTA was the same thing that happened with Tabula Rasa and UO2 - the white elephant in the room of Richard Garriott pitching out high design concepts with the detail equivalent to napkin scribbles (or any game pitching post starting with "It would be really kewl...") and having everyone else do the actual work for him, taking credit for everyone else's work, spending tons of money on himself while leading nothing (or even being completely absent), so that every publisher regrets their decision to back him and tries to get rid of him.

I'm sure Travian Games (who picked up SOTA because of the CEO Lars Janssen was a total fanboy at the time) wishes forging a resignation letter worked to have gotten rid of him much, much earlier.

As of now, Lord Dick occasionally shows up on the SOTA livestreams like a guest thot for tips while other people are still working on what his Ultimate RPG was (not) supposed to be. So, not much different than when he was dancing around taking shots during the begathons with his pet monkeyboys.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom