Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
do i need to use any mods or patches for the PC version of Trails in the Sky chapter 1?

I remember something about missing voices or something like that. Anyway I'm currently about 12 hours into Tits 1. I didn't notice there was a turbo button for the first few hours, lol, but now that I know it's there I've been using it religiously to get through battles. Godsend!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'd say there is no need, unless you really want to install the Japanese voice acting or something.

Nah, I'm fine without the voices. Just thought there might be some sort of necessary "fix" for the PC version, as is so often the case with japanese ports. So far I haven't had any troubles though, so whatever.

Deleted member 7219

I'd say there is no need, unless you really want to install the Japanese voice acting or something.

Nah, I'm fine without the voices. Just thought there might be some sort of necessary "fix" for the PC version, as is so often the case with japanese ports. So far I haven't had any troubles though, so whatever.

The western localisations of TITS and TOCS are amazing, they are examples of how to do it right.

Duraframe300

Arcane

The western localisations of TITS and TOCS are amazing, they are examples of how to do it right.

To be fair....

I know people will disagree with me on this, but yes and no. Yes, as in its a charming and great localization. No, as in its accuracy always seems to be greatly overstated. Having played the game with japanese voice acting and even with my barebones japanese it was painfully obvious how much they added. Especially regarding charachter specific dialogue.

Theres tons of lines that go on way longer than they should in the englisch version and even when the line is a simple expression, like a laugh, it can end up being three or four written lines in the localization. They also somewhat changed the personalities at times (Like Shera going a bit over the top man hating in comparison in a few lines).

Theres of course also all the treasure joke lines they added (Which didn't exist in the original), but those can be seen as purely going the extra mile.

So, yeah. Don't get me wrong, they are both great/amazing localizations with charm. I'd just disagree on *This is how it should be done in any case.*

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jesus christ ao no kiseki.

I get now why this is regarded as the best one in the series, and even then i just finished chapter 2.

the politica talk in the western zemuria conference is one of my favorite part in the series so far. Like holy shit. So many loredumps , foreshadowing, even cold steel class 7 are mentioned in which no way players who haven't played cold steel will even notice. I suspect even the inevitable calvard arc is mentioned in there too, where pretty much calvard main crisis seem to be revealed.

You know even with a sub par fan translation with tons of grammatical errors brought that scene to shine. I can scarcely imagine what geofront/xseed even nisa level standard would do.

Slaver1

Savant

i hope it's not a sick joke, because this would be too much of a bad taste if they were joking

https://store.nisamerica.com/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-iv-limited-edition-ps4

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Going to pace myself a bit with TOCS3, which will be hard because I'm loving every minute of it. Can't remember floating through a videogame like I am with Trails3 right now.

I tried TiTS a few years ago and found it incredibly boring. Kinda wish there was another way to get the relevant story bits.

You'll never feel the impact of those moments of connection unless you experience those games and characters in their full form.

And I honestly have a hard time seeing how the beginning of TitS is any more boring or a drag than the beginning of CS, from what I've seen. It's all about the same amount of slow burn.

Edit: I fixed my typo, Rean. Feel free to remove that silly rating.

For now it feels like I played just enough of TitS 1 to help me sink my teeth into TOCS3. I might put the latter on hold later and go through the whole TitS series, especially considering I can chuck the 1st two games onto a tablet.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
For now it feels like I played just enough of TitS 1 to help me sink my teeth into TOCS3. I might put the latter on hold later and go through the whole TitS series, especially considering I can chuck the 1st two games onto a tablet.

Well hell, at this point it might even cause you to be more invested in the three TitS games because you'll be recognizing a ton of characters that have appeared in CS III and the other CS games. Not to mention the excellent Crossbell duology. It'll probably be a lot of fun to see where those characters came from, and piecing together details that you hadn't really

It's going to be great.

This really is great news. I can't believe it's coming so fast. Gives me hope that Hajimari won't take the 5 or so years to reach western shores I thought it would.

Deleted member 7219

Well hell, at this point it might even cause you to be more invested in the three TitS games because you'll be recognizing a ton of characters that have appeared in CS III and the other CS games. Not to mention the excellent Crossbell duology. It'll probably be a lot of fun to see where those characters came from, and piecing together details that you hadn't really

It's going to be great.

This really is great news. I can't believe it's coming so fast. Gives me hope that Hajimari won't take the 5 or so years to reach western shores I thought it would.

I think it is also likely given that Trails from Zero / Trails to Azure are being given Japanese PS4 ports that those will be westernised too. TfZ already has a great fan translation but it is good news for Azure too.

Looks like we're finally catching up with Japan. Long live Trails!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jinn

Arcane
I've been meaning to ask: to those of you who have played CSIII or in the midst of playing it, why do you think that the installment is so frowned upon by a lot of Falcom fans (particularly those not on the codex)? It looks like it breaks the mold of the first two installments nicely, brings a ton of intersecting plotlines in, reintroduces a lot of fan favorite characters, revamps the presentation, and touches up the combat even more than before.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i made custom artwork for steam / gog artwork for azure

the logo is not by me, but by someone on falcom discord, i just stitched the logo and artwork together

maxresdefault.png
tales_to_azure.png

Ysaye

Arbiter
I've been meaning to ask: to those of you who have played CSIII or in the midst of playing it, why do you think that the installment is so frowned upon by a lot of Falcom fans (particularly those not on the codex)? It looks like it breaks the mold of the first two installments nicely, brings a ton of intersecting plotlines in, reintroduces a lot of fan favorite characters, revamps the presentation, and touches up the combat even more than before.

Two words: the ending. I actually really like the ending (in an artistic sense) and love the game, but the fact President Kondo felt he needed to come out and apologise to fans specifically for the ending I think highlights what fans were so upset about. Arguably and more specifically (without specific spoilers):

(1) The ending ties up lots of loose ends but it also creates of new "What the?!?!!?"s as well even within the last 30 seconds before the credits;
(2) In keeping with your comment about breaking molds, it is not a typical Kiseki "to be continued..." ending where at least there are some positives to look forward to for the characters; and
(3) The protagonist arguably breaks the fated destiny of "generic teenage JRPG hero" (you know the one all the pro-western game fans love to lump hate on?) but for the fans maybe they wanted that generic fate?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
really unsure if I should play Azure or skip straight to CS3 after Geofront

I really want to play with Rean but like Azure is chronological

Two words: the ending. I actually really like the ending (in an artistic sense) and love the game, but the fact President Kondo felt he needed to come out and apologise to fans specifically for the ending I think highlights what fans were so upset about. Arguably and more specifically (without specific spoilers):

(1) The ending ties up lots of loose ends but it also creates of new "What the?!?!!?"s as well even within the last 30 seconds before the credits;
(2) In keeping with your comment about breaking molds, it is not a typical Kiseki "to be continued..." ending where at least there are some positives to look forward to for the characters; and
(3) The protagonist arguably breaks the fated destiny of "generic teenage JRPG hero" (you know the one all the pro-western game fans love to lump hate on?) but for the fans maybe they wanted that generic fate?

That sounds amazing except for the unforshadowed bits

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom