Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga, Commodore and creativity

A horse of course

I barely read 10% of what you poast but I appreciate all this stuff, Luzur

warci

Educated
Thanks to brand new Polish turbo card Warp 560, even Amiga 500 can handle Doom goodness at full speed:

oh man that's the stuff dreams are made of! Ever since my PPC/040+bvision died I've been stuck on a lowly blizzard 1230, which is fine for games, but demos really need more oomph.
I really don't like those accelerator boards that are basically do-it-all SOC's. It feels too much like you buy a new computer and just plug your miggy in for backwards compatibility. I am however pretty skeptical they can source enough 060 chips though... also, 100 Mhz?? really??

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The tl,dw version: Four keys, all the springs underneath them, the RLA-chip and the RF adaptor had to be replaced. Everything else was cleaned or fixed*... and it works!

There's also a ASMR-vibe to it, if that's your thing.

*Not including the capacitors, of course. You always switch those out.

Luzur

Good Sir
The tl,dw version: Four keys, all the springs underneath them, the RLA-chip and the RF adaptor had to be replaced. Everything else was cleaned or fixed*... and it works!

recipe got a veery smooth voice, i admit that. too bad he started to involve his wife in his videos as eyecandy/clickbait.

Gerrard

Arcane

recipe got a veery smooth voice, i admit that. too bad he started to involve his wife in his videos as eyecandy/clickbait.
Maybe he wanted to scare off the crazy females that no doubt were a significant part of his viewers (at least compared to typical nerd) because of that voice.

Luzur

Good Sir
Rare new C64 RPG to try out ️ very much in the classic Ultima style

HS2-3d-box-front.jpg

HS2-3d-box-back.jpg

hired-sword-2-C64-map-1024x1024.jpg

hired-sword-II-C64-06.png

hired-sword-II-C64-05.png

91918964_666755647495289_7579953958395838464_n.jpg

Here's a little video I put together for "Hired Sword 2" on the C64 currently available for download from https://doublesidedgames.com/ . This is a cool RPG in the classic Ultima style.
https://doublesidedgames.com/?fbclid=IwAR35WeEyfxmmqLnVAJT4Qku7JCTK3PliWr3w6SSrGc3Rw0eo31AgJM4VMto

Luzur

Good Sir
Trailmarch - A new RPG is coming to the Amiga from Pixelshift Interactive!

If you love Dungeon Crawlers or RPG's in general, then as noted by Solo, Pixelshift Interactive is working on a new game for the Amiga called 'Trailmarch'; an indie developed role-playing game for the Amiga computer system, harkening back to the days of Bard’s Tale and Might & Magic. In light of this news the developer behind the game has not only done a full story of Trailmarch on their website, but going back as far as last month you can also view the latest teasers below from Youtube.
Source

http://www.indieretronews.com/2020/04/trailmarch-new-rpg-is-coming-to-amiga.html

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Trailmarch - A new RPG is coming to the Amiga from Pixelshift Interactive!

If you love Dungeon Crawlers or RPG's in general, then as noted by Solo, Pixelshift Interactive is working on a new game for the Amiga called 'Trailmarch'; an indie developed role-playing game for the Amiga computer system, harkening back to the days of Bard’s Tale and Might & Magic. In light of this news the developer behind the game has not only done a full story of Trailmarch on their website, but going back as far as last month you can also view the latest teasers below from Youtube.
Source

http://www.indieretronews.com/2020/04/trailmarch-new-rpg-is-coming-to-amiga.html

Made with AMOS looks like, a few commercial games were made with, like Amiga-port of Genesia and Flight of the Amazon Queen. I don't think it was very heavy-duty programming language, but we'll see.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Speaking of Amiga... I've been checking out the games made for Amiga in the mid-late 90s, and my memory wasn't wrong, many of them were pretty much pure shit, with a few exceptions.

Napalm was pretty good RTS

Exodus: The Last War was also liked, never played it

Wasted Dreams was not horrible

and Genetic Species was technically pretty impressive, with nice soundtrack

A horse of course

Speaking of Amiga... I've been checking out the games made for Amiga in the mid-late 90s, and my memory wasn't wrong, many of them were pretty much pure shit, with a few exceptions.

Exodus: The Last War was also liked, never played it

Wasted Dreams was not horrible

and Genetic Species was technically pretty impressive, with nice soundtrack

Genetic Species music reminds me of Captive 2: Liberation

Luzur

Good Sir
Moving out of my house to a newer, much more refined house. Had a space above my kitchen where i stored about half of my C64 stuff. Kind of left it up there in the 2000's and remodeled my kitchen then didn't want to go up there for fear of messing things up. Pulled everything out this last Sunday. I didn't quite expect to see so much, but since I have it, thought I would post it. Eh, looking at the picture there is some Windows 95 stuff. Most of the Magazines are either Ahoy!, Dragon, or D&D Modules. You can see the dust on everything.

Asked my family to just build a funeral pyre for me out of this stuff when I die. Nobody will appreciate this stuff when I die and will probably throw it out. That supra drive on the pile on the left - think I had that hooked up to an Amiga 500 (not shown.) There is a box in there with about 300 5 1/4 floppies of random crap. Once I settle in to my new digs, I'll start unpacking some stuff.

View attachment 12566

Things I am light on: C64 power supplies, 1541 power supplies. I have two 1571's without power supplies. That will probably be my next mission.

Brah the way C64 is popular i bet ya they will beeven worth more when you die then now.

Luzur

Good Sir

I met the two develoeprs of this game back in the early 2000's at one of the last Commodore meet-ups i went to, before the whole meet-up thing sizzled out, two Swedish guys.
one of the best games on C64 i ever played back in the day

warci

Educated

ah man, played this one to death. Imported it together with some ppc + AGA shooter (can't remember the name, it was pretty meh). But I adored Napalm!
it was that really sad time when I thought it was a great idea to spend all my money on a ppc + bvision in stead of buying a pc so I could play quake and wipeout at 15 fps

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

ah man, played this one to death. Imported it together with some ppc + AGA shooter (can't remember the name, it was pretty meh). But I adored Napalm!
it was that really sad time when I thought it was a great idea to spend all my money on a ppc + bvision in stead of buying a pc so I could play quake and wipeout at 15 fps

Same, although, back in the late 90s the PCs advanced so fast that any PC bought in 1997-1998 would've been obsolete in about a year, and would've needed overhaul anyway. I also had PPC-amiga 1200 in late 90s, I kinda regret getting it and kinda don't...I actually sold my A1200 + ppc + mediator + voodoo 3 for something like 800 euros a few years ago, and I think I actually might've mad profit on it, or at least broke just about even. Would've never been able to do that with the PC of that era, so I can't complain too much.

Edit: Speaking of Napalm...did you ever see this? From the guy who worked on the port of Myst:
THE WHOLE TRUTH ABOUT clickBOOM

We'll probably never know all of it, but with this message I'll
give my vision about that.

This message shouldn't actually never be seen by anyone, but I
wanted to make sure to put something like this somewhere inside the
game, secretly, so that there is an information about who created the
game, and of course, the reason why my name doesn't appear in the game
itself.

My real name is Djordje Djurdjevic, and I have written all the
code of MYST for Amiga myself (except the QuickTime player subsystem and
the routine for IFF pictures, which has been taken from Aminet and
adapted for the game). I am not Canadian, as said Aleksandar Petrovic,
the manager of clickBOOM (in Amiga Format, I think), but Serb
(Yugoslav), born in Belgrade, old 21 years (born in 1976).

The whole story about clickBOOM begins about 2 years before
Capital Punishment (CP from now) for Amiga was finished. I didn't know
about the team yet, but only one year after that, in summer 1995. CP
was coded by one person only (Vladimir Ignjatovic) and the graphics were
done by 3 persons (Dragan Jakovljevic, Dusan Gojovic and Ilija
Melentijevic, who left the team in the mean time because of some
disagreements with Aleksandar - Ilija iz one of the idea makers of CP),
all of them Serbs. As I said, I met them and started with another
project from clickBOOM, about a year after CP production started, and it
was about a managment game, which never appeared anywhere.

There were many disagreements and fights in the team, but I
can't talk about that since I was not directly involved nor present when
it happened, and almost everything I know is based on what other members
of the team clickBOOM told me. Usually, fights were about the money,
because everyone is bad payed (400 DM and less, a month for 8 or
sometimes more hours of work per day), and they started when the
production of the game was to be accelerated because the deadline was
almost expired.

Honestly, CP could have been a much better and interesting game
if Aleksandar Petrovic didn't force his own will in most important
aspects of the game, such as playability or the graphics (as an example
: the gfx men painted so well one of the characters (Corben Wedge -
originally called "DASA" which means something like guy, buddy) so well
that Aleksandar Petrovic told them to make him look uglier because
everyone would say that it has been scanned). Anyway, what is done is
done. The game was not sold very successfully even if Aleksandar
provided an excellent advertising. Aleksandar promised to pay to the
whole team who made CP a bonus after the job was done. It should have
been payed long time ago (march 97), but until today it hasn't been
payed.

I accepted to work on MYST (400 DM per month) even if I supposed
that the future of the whole project isn't very bright. MYST is, as far
as I am concerned, quite a stupid game, but as it's the best selling
game on PC / MAC, Aleksandar decided to make a conversion for the Amiga,
expecting to get back the money he invested.

Money... He spent a lot of it, but not half of what I think he
should have spent. No software on which worked
coders/graphicians/musicians was legally provided (except PD/SW
software). I will mention, as far as graphics are concerned :
Brilliance, Personal Paint, Deluxe Paint 4.5 and 5, Real 3D, Lightwave
(from version 3.0 to 5.2). Neither on PCs which we worked on the
situation is better : starting with MS DOS, together with Windows 3.11
and 95, and Adobe Premiere and Photoshop and many other software - all
pirate copies. The Lha archiver which was used to archive CP on install
disks requires the lha.key file to work which isn't registered to
clickBOOM since it is a "crack" and is used by most of the Amiga owners
in Serbia.

Why am I writing all this ? The reason is simple : I should
finish the game MYST quite soon, and I suppose I won't work for
clickBOOM anymore. I even suppose I won't get the bonus after the job
is done, as Aleksandar and I agreed before I started the work. Since I
consider that I've done my work honestly and the best I could (and it
was not easy since I had to use parts of the original game without any
help of the original authors, and guess what I had to deal with in the
game, and also to do what Aleksandar said what and how it should be
done), I don't want to loose that money. This is a simple way to force
Aleksandar to do what is his duty (if somebody is thinking about the
word "blackmail" that's exaclty what I have in mind) if he doesn't want
to loose credibility in the public.

How can I prove that it's true ? Simply : since I am the
coder, I'll get all the source code home, and I'll leave some useless
parts where I work toghther with the complete source code there where we
work (Olge Alkalaj 7, Beograd, appartment 113) but arhived with a
password only I know, most probably with Diavolo Backup, also pirate
copy.

To prevent that all I sad here was accidentally extracted from a
binary file, I wrote it in 3 languages : serb, english and french, all
mixed together this way - first one letter from the serb text, then from
english and then from french, and again serb... To all the ASCII values
of the letters, a number has been added depending of the position of the
letter - first letter in a row is added with 0, second with 1, etc...
No one should see this message if I don't want that - and that means
that I sent a little program which decodes all the three texts and saves
them in three different files called cb_s, cb_e and cb_f (for serb,
english and french version) on RAM DISK.

https://tcrf.net/Myst_(Amiga)

Luzur

Good Sir
DOOM - Could a "Doom" clone run on a 7MHz Amiga 500 with 1MB of RAM?

We've certainly seen some impressive projects through the years on retro hardware, for example showing how well Sam's Journey and Super Mario performed on a C64 was impressive enough. But now it looks as if we are about to go one step further. As thanks to a heads up from Per Ola, we've been told KK/Altair is working on a project to show that it may be possible to run a Doom clone on just a 7MHz Amiga 500 with 1MB of RAM!

Doom is an FPS game made by id Software and originally released in 1993 for DOS. It was ported the following year for the Jaguar, Linux, PC-98 and the Sega 32X. It was again ported in 1995 for the 3DO and Windows (aka Doom95). In 1996, it was ported for the SNES/Super Nintendo and in 2001, it was ported for the Gameboy Advance. As for the Amiga it was of course never released for this system, but going by the video above, we may be seeing the first demo map of the game being developed and a future release down the line.

warci

Educated
Edit: Speaking of Napalm...did you ever see this? From the guy who worked on the port of Myst:

Ah man, that's bloody tragic. Was a big fan of clickBOOM, what a bunch of cunts :(

and yes!!! that mediocre shooter was T-zero! The only game I didn't have from them was nightlong, but even in all my fanboyism it didn't look very interesting to me.
Talking about accelorators, what I should've done was bought a 1260. I borrowed one of those for a while and they were suuuuuper nice. My ppc was one with a '040 chip, so it was more shit at most things while costing more!! My main reason for buying a ppc was I was studying 3d animation and there was one 3d program that could use the ppc and RTG graphics to do some fancy realtime stuff and increase rendering speed dramatically. In the end the ppc was so difficult to keep cool and the program so buggy it kept crashing all over the place. Still managed to get a lot done though, as it was actually pretty good to use.
I still have all those bits, but the PPC sadly died from sitting in a cupboard while I kept running my 1230 which is nicer for whdload stuff. There is some guy in france that can fix them apparently, but even then, why bother...

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Got one of those C64 Mini's a while back. It was kinda interesting - about $50 or so on Amazon - I had a gift card. Then I tried some of the games, lost interest and put it aside. I figured it was a static game emulator.

thec64mini_web_0001-2.png

Just yesterday, I was searching for something. Then someone was talking about loading games on it off of USB, and other things, like loading games with multiple disks. So I started it up, upgraded the firmware, and downloaded some .D81 images. This thing is really good as a C64 replacement. HDMI built in, support for usb controllers, support for normal keyboards, save states for games, can load games off of USB.

Sorry if this was already posted, but what I thought was a semi-interesting emulator with 50 or so built in games turns out to be a very good emulator supporting almost any C64 game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom