Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am about to begin a playthrough. Is normal too easy?

I am not familiar with the rules, but I bought the book and I will read it while I am playing it.

Is the hard mode worthy playing from the get go? I mean, is it fair, although hard?

I like challenge.
If you are not familiar with D&D 3.x, the game can be challenging even on Normal difficulty. Higher difficulties don't change the game core mechanics, but simply inflate enemies' stats. I think you should play on Normal (or Challenging at best) and then switch to Hard if you find encounters too easy.

Once you understand how the game works (or if you have previous knowledge of Pathfinder and know how to optimize your party), even Unfair is a cakewalk.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The only hard part about Unfair, is the early game. Surviving early unfair, is like playing a whole different game. You have to pause in order to have control of the flow of combat, because shit can go from 0 to 100 real quick in the early game. As you all witnessed in that video. You are also going to TPK a lot too, so there's that to consider. But this is fun to me.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Way back pre-nerf, I started on challenging and found it too easy, so I restarted on hard and beat the game for the first time that way.

The main problem with unfair is the damage multiplier imo. The stat bloat is already dumb if you care about the general ruleset benchmarks so you have bandits with storm giant strength, but getting crit for 100 when your max health is like 22 is beyond retarded, depending on what kind of game you're looking for. Later on, you can mitigate taking them or even being hit in different ways, but still.

That being said, the game is pretty epic in scope from about chapter 3 or so, so it might not bug you on those grounds.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
>The main problem with unfair is the damage multiplier imo.
It fizzles out in the mid game though. Around mid game you should have 100+ HP. But yes, I do agree. Being hit for 50-80 damage on level 1 is quite annoying.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I watched this video and now wanna do a solo run.
Anyone here made a solo run?
Does the turn based mod works well with multiple summons AND modded classes like Arcanist?
Should i go Arcanist(mod) or Sorcerer?

Sykar

Arcane
The only hard part about Unfair, is the early game. Surviving early unfair, is like playing a whole different game. You have to pause in order to have control of the flow of combat, because shit can go from 0 to 100 real quick in the early game. As you all witnessed in that video. You are also going to TPK a lot too, so there's that to consider. But this is fun to me.

That can happen on any difficulty. Technic League encounter had both Harrim and Val go down in the first round thanks to "lucky" crits by their two melees making me reload.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron

That can happen on any difficulty. Technic League encounter had both Harrim and Val go down in the first round thanks to "lucky" crits by their two melees making me reload.
It's funny you mention that. I have never played on any difficulty that isn't Unfair. So I don't know. I tried playing on Hard, but it was too easy for me. I am so used to getting one shotted at level 1.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron

Does the turn based mod works well with multiple summons AND modded classes like Arcanist?

What that video doesn't tell you, is that he didn't solo the first levels, and if he did; he probably lowered the difficulty until he reached the appropriate level to solo. Solo Unfair is hell. Solo Unfair early game, is not even fun. It's an awful experience. I attempted solo iron man unfair as monk, I did not have fun. I doubt a spell caster will have any fun in early unfair.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So this is my first new playthrough on EE, saves keep getting borked due to mod so my first third walkthrough is kapput. This time around I will only play with AMA and CotW and Respec mod.

The new Boggart cave was fun. Trying to do that even on Level 4 (max level before the end of CHapter 1) on hard was fun. Like anal sex, apply a liberal amount of lube (read: grease) to prevent getting anal pain. Took all of my ration (2 rests to finish the cave) with 2 other rests before (hunt and on overwolrd map) to finish the outside map. I was bringing my Druid PC (and monitor lizzard), Valerie, Amiri (I got there en route of finishing Tuskgutter with Temple of the Elk), Harrim, Octavia, and Rengogar. The final fights require like 4 retriies because I just use Wand of Grease and pray the litte frogs kept getting knocked prone. The asshole Champion can smash my Valerie from full to dead if I am unlucky.

Level 4 is not max level for Ch. 1.

You can savescum or bring a Bard, or better yet don't do the cave until level six or so. There are no meaningful rewards for doing it early unfortunately. The contrast between that area and Old Sycamore couldn't be more stark.

Its technically Level 5 but you will get it after you kill Stag Lord or at least close on doing so.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I had the same thought. Results inconclusive.

Could just be reminder text that flanking is already giving flat-footed?

But it does not. It enables sneak attacks without making the enemy flat footed. Besides that, flanking only provides +2 AB for flankers (up to +6 AB with Outflank and Freebooter's Bond).

I also wonder if the amulet really does that.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
So this is my first new playthrough on EE, saves keep getting borked due to mod so my first third walkthrough is kapput. This time around I will only play with AMA and CotW and Respec mod.

The new Boggart cave was fun. Trying to do that even on Level 4 (max level before the end of CHapter 1) on hard was fun. Like anal sex, apply a liberal amount of lube (read: grease) to prevent getting anal pain. Took all of my ration (2 rests to finish the cave) with 2 other rests before (hunt and on overwolrd map) to finish the outside map. I was bringing my Druid PC (and monitor lizzard), Valerie, Amiri (I got there en route of finishing Tuskgutter with Temple of the Elk), Harrim, Octavia, and Rengogar. The final fights require like 4 retriies because I just use Wand of Grease and pray the litte frogs kept getting knocked prone. The asshole Champion can smash my Valerie from full to dead if I am unlucky.

You can savescum or bring a Bard, or better yet don't do the cave until level six or so. There are no meaningful rewards for doing it early unfortunately. The contrast between that area and Old Sycamore couldn't be more stark.

Its technically Level 5 but you will get it after you kill Stag Lord or at least close on doing so.

Well, I always reach level 5 prior to Stag Lord fight. Which is kinda helpful.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Anyone have any ideas on how decent 11 monk/9 knife master who is spec'ed into sai will be? I was planning a monk build around it. But my enthusiasm for the build went down the toilet when I realized just how crap damage the sai does. 1d4 is awful.

Yosharian

Arcane
Anyone have any ideas on how decent 11 monk/9 knife master who is spec'ed into sai will be? I was planning a monk build around it. But my enthusiasm for the build went down the toilet when I realized just how crap damage the sai does. 1d4 is awful.
There is a fairly decent +5 Agile Sai that does stun on hit. Maybe some testing would yield information on whether that's a good reason to pick Sai, aside from the extra attack of course.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
It should be... an okay grinder I suppose. Lots of attacks with Greater Speed and greater Flurry, sneak attack dice. Although frankly a 1 monk/19 KM would probably be a lot better. 1 extra attack is hardly worth like 5d8 sneak damage per hit and Rogue Advanced Talents, such as Double Debilitation, Opportunist and Crippling Strike.

amurath

Educated

Right now, I'm on my second Unfair solo run with a modified Sword Saint build. As usual, InEffect's builds make for a pretty good starting point, but you need to adapt them a bit for solo play (make sure you have enough Int for relevant skills, etc). Here are a couple good ones: https://af.gog.com/forum/pathfinder_kingmaker/ineffects_guide_v2/post115?as=1649904300 , https://af.gog.com/forum/pathfinder_kingmaker/ineffects_guide_v2/post41?as=1649904300. For the Sword Saint build, I recommend making him a tiefling instead for the Resist Energy racial spell, but it's more a question of convenience since you can also use scrolls. The key to Unfair solo is to do the early zones in the right order: First, go to Ratnook Hill and disarm all the traps, then savescum the Waterlogged Lowland, save Jhod without combat, do the Abandoned Hut and start the Old Sycamore - mainly collect radishes/sacrifice kobolds to Grarrukh. That should relatively easily get you to level 5 or so, at which point you'll have a higher AB, better saves and hopefully Mirror Image which increases your survivability considerably. Even knowing what to do, expect to die and reload a lot early on. It can be fun and really forces you to learn the game and use all available abilities/resources, but it's also easy to get frustrated. I would only recommend it to someone who has already finished the game at least once, is familiar with the systems and areas and has a lot of time/patience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Hope you didn't do that ugly Vivi dip. Sacrificing Perfect Reflexes for that is just... ugh...
Sure it comes late (bit earlier when solo...), but its quite the game changer.

Also Dazzling alone solo is a bit sucky now, you'd ideally want Dreadful Carnage... but its 2 more feats. Still, I guess I'd skip Dodge and maybe Greater Focus or Greater Specialization.

Sykar

Arcane

What that video doesn't tell you, is that he didn't solo the first levels, and if he did; he probably lowered the difficulty until he reached the appropriate level to solo. Solo Unfair is hell. Solo Unfair early game, is not even fun. It's an awful experience. I attempted solo iron man unfair as monk, I did not have fun. I doubt a spell caster will have any fun in early unfair.

He says it in his build video. This video is merely a demonstration. And yes he does wait until around 5-6 until he cranks up the difficulty.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Well, I always reach level 5 prior to Stag Lord fight. Which is kinda helpful.

If you play your cards right you can hit six. I'm usually mid-five.

My MC hit six right as I entered the Fort. I did not share XP, had a skill-monkey AT, and completed all available areas with exception to the inside of the rat and boggart cave.

Desiderius

Patron
Savescum solo is one way to up the difficulty, but it misses out on what makes P:K unique and the strength of the design which is the group synergies. I play six-man quasi-ironman where I try to minimize reloads, both of fights and skill rolls, which requires sacrificing a good deal of raw min-maxxing in the interest of redundancy. Likewise minimizing rest means you can't really spam Sirocco, but your kingdom also benefits so it's not just a straight stipulation handicap. Instead of reloading until your 60% save or die spell hits or you dodge a lucky crit, you can have 3 casters at 40% and a few rezzes memorized to just shrug off bad luck.

Desiderius

Patron
My MC hit six right as I entered the Fort. I did not share XP, had a skill-monkey AT, and completed all available areas with exception to the inside of the rat and boggart cave.

You can wait to see if you detect the high Perception check trap at Ratnook before deciding to brave the inside. You don't get any EXP for disarming it so it's worth a shot at lvl five. Boggarts are weak to Will/Reflex so a good Bard has a decent chance to work them over. It's just a lot easier once you get Fascinate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom