Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Mazisky

Magister
I have a question: as I said I am a noob and just started the franchise a week ago. In the very first missions I've been asked to kill an army of an opposing faction and conquer the settlement nearby.

I won the battle but another army (of the same faction) attacked me and in the battle they had reinforcements coming by all sides. I lost because they were too much to handle. What I was supposed to do? thank you

Olinser

Savant
I have a question: as I said I am a noob and just started the franchise a week ago. In the very first missions I've been asked to kill an army of an opposing faction and conquer the settlement nearby.

I won the battle but another army (of the same faction) attacked me and in the battle they had reinforcements coming by all sides. I lost because they were too much to handle. What I was supposed to do? thank you

Sounds like you ended the turn next to a settlement and they attacked.

Any combat will draw in units on both sides from a small radius, including town garrisons. Pay attention to enemy armies and don't park next to towns if you can't take them and the town garrison at the same time.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, at turn 142 I sent Archaon packing, then re-settled the two remaining settlements I needed to control in order to tick the boxes for the victory condition and the Empire lived happily ever after. It was a fun and immersive campaign. I usually combine the campaigns with reading the army books about the respective faction, so that I am more into the lore.

Now I started a Bretonnia campaign, on Normal, with king Louen. The pseudo-French and the units' accent cracks me up every time. It feels like borderline Monty Python parody, much more than the Empire did, and I like it. The custom mechanics are also pretty cool.

What do you say, should I take the plunge into WH2 before having played all the factions in WH1? The expanded mechanics there seem to make playing even more fun, but I can't decide if I should first get as much as I can out of WH1.

Mazisky

Magister

Sounds like you ended the turn next to a settlement and they attacked.

Any combat will draw in units on both sides from a small radius, including town garrisons. Pay attention to enemy armies and don't park next to towns if you can't take them and the town garrison at the same time.

Yeah, now I realized that the reinforcements were from both a nearby army and the garrison at the same time. Just an unlucky combination, thank you btw

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
When hovering the mouse on an enemy army you will see red lines leading to it if other forces are in reinforcements range. Same for your army and yellow lines.

Also be careful of overextending into fog of war (something I still tend to do from time to time), always scout ahead with agents when possible. If you don't want to fight an army and a garrison at the same time you can try setting an ambush for the army. A trick that usually works against the AI is to put your main army in ambush and put a lone general or otherwise weak stack behind them, but that's usually not available and also cheesy.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Lightning strike doesn't work against a garrisoned army. But it's useful to have on at least a few generals, yes.

Ambush is really key to use often. Even if you don't have a great ambush chance, you are still invisible until the AI comes near. Furthermore even failing the ambush lets you immediately launch a normal battle. Much better than being visible on the map and having 2 or more AI stacks in the fog of war march next to your single stack before attacking.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I'm playing multiplayer and it's a load of fun. Not that the normal game isn't, but it really adds something. Also I feel it works much better than in Shogun 2 or Rome 2. It might just be me IDK.

Danikas

Arcane
I'm playing multiplayer and it's a load of fun. Not that the normal game isn't, but it really adds something. Also I feel it works much better than in Shogun 2 or Rome 2. It might just be me IDK.
This game is very good for co-op.

Mazisky

Magister
Finally I am getting used to the game and I am having a lot of fun! Some more questions:

-My standard turns are: Build, research, move and recruit. Is there something else that I need to check every turn?

-After a heavy battle I usually pass 2 or 3 turns into a settlement to restore health and recruit. Do the game penalize you in the long term for taking your time and wasting several turns without moving and\or playing passive?

-I get a lot of "friendly" request from other factions of my same race: is there a valid reason to deny them and decrease relationship?

-When I help an allied on the other side of the map by sending reinforcements and playing the battle, is the army I've sent a different thing specific for that mission or they are taken away from my regular armies?

Thank you

Last edited:

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
-My standard turns are: Build, research, move and recruit. Is there something else that I need to check every turn?
Not necessary every turn but pay attention to the province commandments and if you need to change them. There's a one turn lag on changing the commandment so if you have a recruitment boosting commandment and plan to recruit next turn then you need to change this turn etc.
Keep an eye on public order. Check the diplomacy if you can sign a trade agreement or something else.

-After a heavy battle I usually pass 2 or 3 turns into a settlement to restore health and recruit. Do the game penalize you in the long term for taking your time and wasting several turns without moving and\or playing passive?
If you need to wait to replenish you need to wait, there's not much choice here. Just keep in mind that you don't have to sit in a town to reinforce you will also reinforce on the move while in your territory, just slower. Also some factions have an encamp stance that you can take at 50% movement remaining which boosts replenishment. It allows you to reinforce in enemy territory and if do it in your own it's the same as sitting in a town.

Generally you want to move carefully until you eliminated most of the enemy field armies (unless you know where all of them are) and then you want to blitz his lands as fast as possible before he can recover.

-I get a lot of "friendly" request from other factions of my same race: is there a valid reason to deny them and decrease relationship?
Denying a diplomatic offer doesn't lower relations, only cancelling existing treaties. You want to avoid any diplomatic treaties if you plan on conquering them. Breaking treaties lowers your reliability which makes all diplomacy harder and it takes a long time to recover.

-When I help an allied on the other side of the map by sending reinforcements and playing the battle, is the army I've sent a different thing specific for that mission or they are taken away from my regular armies?
Do you mean a quest battle where you click on teleport? In that case it's your real army of course.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister

Do you mean a quest battle where you click on teleport? In that case it's your real army of course.

It's when you get the "An allied is being attacked by XXX, what u gonna do?" and there are four options: Help him (cost 2000 gold), ignore him (-1 relationship), send scout and another one i can't remember.

If I fight the battle there is not even my lord but a random hero without skills and you start as reinforcements coming from outside the map.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
That's the Empire dilemma. The -1 isn't relationship, it's basically the number you build up to annex the electorate when it hits 10. If you can afford the 2000 gold, spend it, and auto-resolve the battle. You'll almost always win on anything up to Hard difficulty. Don't bother fighting those; there are too many, and they're boring battles to boot.

Is there something else that I need to check every turn?

All the really important stuff is put on end turn notifications (i.e. the button that's normally 'End Turn' will have something like character level up to click on, or a settlement upgrade, or a new research item to pick).

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
That's the Empire dilemma. The -1 isn't relationship, it's basically the number you build up to annex the electorate when it hits 10. If you can afford the 2000 gold, spend it, and auto-resolve the battle. You'll almost always win on anything up to Hard difficulty. Don't bother fighting those; there are too many, and they're boring battles to boot.

Is there something else that I need to check every turn?

All the really important stuff is put on end turn notifications (i.e. the button that's normally 'End Turn' will have something like character level up to click on, or a settlement upgrade, or a new research item to pick).

thank you but i need to know if the troops deployed for that dilemma are taken from my reserves or are specific troops for that mission i should not care about too much.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
They're not your troops at all. They're there for the dilemma, and then they vanish into the abyss whence they came.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Playing around with CTT now, pretty cool overall. Playing an Exiles of Nehek campaign so the unit caps are obviously already there but some of the unit changes are interesting. I like the armor piercing streamlining and the almost removal of anti-infantry - makes understanding unit matchups easier. Sepulchral Stalkers and Necro Knights are even more brutal than before - they roflstomp any cavalry short of Demis and most infantry to boot. Ushabti are even more of murder machine than before but now move at infantry speed so they can't sprint across the field like they used to. Hierotitan is significantly less tanky and still doesn't do much damage - relegated to more of a support "off-tank" which is fine.

Other changes however are a bit strange. Like all Tomb Kings archer units now have Arrows of Ptrah which makes their arrows guided. However Ptrah is surely trolling since while the arrows do fly in weird non-parabolic paths they seem to miss now more than before. This is especially pronounced with the bone giants that can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn even with gold chevrons, and since they lost their exploding shot and anti-large are now completely useless. Another peculiar change is that the Dark Elves lost their murderous prowess mechanic in exchange for a permanent +8% damage buff on all units. What's the point? Might as well just add +8% damage to every unit and not bother with the special trait.

razvedchiki

Erudite
ranged units in CTT were changed from insta gib machine gun legolas to something more like a harasser.
of course they can still wipe out units but they take more time than vanilla.

Beggar

Cipher
Always considered pirates to be suckers. Until my Count Noctilus campaign. Mounted my 3 heroes into Necroflex Colossus + high end units = shredding everything

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom