Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Same goes for anyone with problems in this thread. It really is an opportunity to help make this game we've been waiting so long for become the best it can be. Particularly stuff like what you mentioned Lithium Flower. Those are exactly the kind of things the developers need to hear.

Call me a cynic but the problems appear to be inherent to the engine or the devs' lack of giving a shit (or both) because, while I hate to repeat the eight years meme, it has indeed been a long fucking time and we have seen footage of these very same problems appear since years ago. As I just wrote in my above post, they released a patch explicitly addressing (and evidently failing to) the issue of AI fighting overly conservatively in formations, so they have been aware of at least part of the problem - just unable to fix it.

A scenario that seems plausible to me is that this is the repeat of Total War: Rome 2. I will oversimple events somewhat, but the basic idea is that the devs wanted to create a fancy new engine for their next title, ended up fucking with a seemingly innocuous yet fundamental aspect of the engine (specifically loosening up collision detection so that reforming lines is smoother and more user friendly) and inadvertently fucked with the core gameplay of the game as such a change caused a number of unexpected defects in the infantry combat system. If they haven't fixed it in this long a time, then I think they either can't (because the way things are coded now would require them to tear out the game's foundation in order to change), or they see no problem with it.

What about towns? Do they look more alive than in Warband. And how big they are?

They seem to serve about as little purpose as before. I'd go as far to say that Warband is really not that much different to M&B2.
Considering its been (at least) eight years in development, its a little underwhelming.

orcinator

Liturgist
Guess a lot of things had to be sacrificed so the game could come with a built-in lolimod.

Update: watching a stream, turns out you grow to normal size in a manner of days, so you still need a mod to fix that.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Have they done anything to enable a 'bandit' style play through to the extent that you can control a castle or something without the need to declare yourself an independent faction rivaling for control of the world? Like you can loot shit, cause trouble, and occasional merc yourself out but actually have a base?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Call me a cynic but the problems appear to be inherent to the engine or the devs' lack of giving a shit (or both) because, while I hate to repeat the eight years meme, it has indeed been a long fucking time and we have seen footage of these very same problems appear since years ago. As I just wrote in my above post, they released a patch explicitly addressing (and evidently failing to) the issue of AI fighting overly conservatively in formations, so they have been aware of at least part of the problem - just unable to fix it.

A scenario that seems plausible to me is that this is the repeat of Total War: Rome 2. I will oversimple events somewhat, but the basic idea is that the devs wanted to create a fancy new engine for their next title, ended up fucking with a seemingly innocuous yet fundamental aspect of the engine (specifically loosening up collision detection so that reforming lines is smoother and more user friendly) and inadvertently fucked with the core gameplay of the game as such a change caused a number of unexpected defects in the infantry combat system. If they haven't fixed it in this long a time, then I think they either can't (because the way things are coded now would require them to tear out the game's foundation in order to change), or they see no problem with it.

Problems of Rome II are not applicable here which happened because they removed a lot of physics from the engine. That they fixed in Warhammer now everything has mass, collusion and velocity again so they are not just ethereal sprites. Which means you can actually use units with high mass to body block other units with high mass for example.

Considering that Bannerlord seems heavier on the physics and not less compared to Warband, the issue then is simply one of collusion range and mass. As in, they probably need to fine tune the collision and mass of units on foot and their AI behaviour in formation. It's very possible that these are simply some integers that they can change without any fundamental altering of the engine. So do make the feedback, they might take a look and fine tune these and I have a feeling they released the game in early access exactly so these things can be fine tuned.

Mortmal

Arcane
Now I'm a bit underwhelmed because of the sheer amount of bugs and crashes...

Make sure to give them feedback about this with your PC specs. I've been playing for about 4 hours without any crashes and very little in the way of noticeable bugs.

Same goes for anyone with problems in this thread. It really is an opportunity to help make this game we've been waiting so long for become the best it can be. Particularly stuff like what you mentioned Lithium Flower. Those are exactly the kind of things the developers need to hear.
Already got a gamebreaking bug early in the campaign its impossible to complete the banner as the hideout location just disappears.There's quite a few more glitches but that one is extremely annoying since its still a tutorial phase, you cant still siege nor conquer.

jf8350143

Liturgist
There is so much loading in the game, want to talk to a NPC? Here's two loading screen for you. Want to fight a bandit, another two for you.

Do we really need to see the NPC's face everytime we talk to them?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
There is so much loading in the game, want to talk to a NPC? Here's two loading screen for you. Want to fight a bandit, another two for you.

Do we really need to see the NPC's face everytime we talk to them?
I'm hoping the devs will improve that in time.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The game needs better UI for trading too.

unknown.png

Unlike Warband, you now can see the entire stock for trade (arms, goods, etc) when you click Trader in towns.
The items on the left belong to the merchant.
The items on the right belong to you.
So you just add & subtract and click Done to finalize the transaction.
The tiny mouseover window is really annoying. 1/3 of the real estate wasted on a paper doll during trading while they barely gave any space for the important info.

Hopefully mods will fix this.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I played for about three hours today. Did the tutorial, talked to a noble about the artifact you get, then fought some 1-vs-many battles against bandits. Early thoughts:

Pros:
Combat is fun (and harder).
Enemy combat AI seems slightly improved.
UI improvements.
Better production values.
No crashes so far and decent optimization (my 6-year-old PC can hold an acceptable frame rate on Low-to-Medium settings with only occasional slowdowns).

Cons:
Loading screens.
Loading screens.
Loading screens!!!
No button on the UI to access the encyclopedia (have to use hotkey).
Towns look nice, but still no reason to explore them.

So far I'm having fun and feeling cautiously optimistic, but I've only just dipped my toe in. Time will tell...

Zanzoken

Arcane
Also for some reason I can't get my dude to couch his lance? I have a lance with the proper trait but I ride fast and nothing happens.

Edit: Figured it out. Your horse has to have a minimum speed in order to couch, and couching now requires a button press (default is X).

Last edited:

Hellion

Arcane
Apparently you can execute captured lords (and ladies) now. Even faction leaders - I had the option to execute the captured Queen of the Southern Empire.

2ADJ8e1.jpg

I guess they elect a different leader afterwards.

Last edited:

A horse of course

Apparently you can execute captured lords (and ladies) now. Even faction leaders - I had the option to execute the captured Queen of the Southern Empire.

2ADJ8e1.jpg

I guess they elect a different leader afterwards.

Don't touch my wife!

Funposter

Arcane
That they fixed in Warhammer now everything has mass, collusion and velocity again so they are not just ethereal sprites. Which means you can actually use units with high mass to body block other units with high mass for example.

I wouldn't say that they fixed it, it's still Warscape after all. CA just got better at faking it in their frankenstein engine. You can see it with the delay in units being flung away by heavy cavalry charges - things don't happen naturally, it's like the computer needs to take half a second to figure out that physics are supposed to be applied, and THEN say "OK this unit was charged, they should be knocked back". Obviously it's a big step up from Rome 2, let alone fucking Empire which was a total mess, but you can always kind of see the computer trying to figure things out instead of the hitboxes just naturally creating boundaries between entities.

PrettyDeadman

sleep deprived sperging time, here we go.

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm feeling pretty shocked and dismayed as to how much of a step backwards mass infantry combat in this game is and I have always been pretty reserved with my expectations for this game - I can only imagine how the people who were on the hype train for years must feel (although everyone seems to be praising the pretty graphics and looking forward to doing the same grind they have been doing for years in warband so maybe my interests don't align with those held by the majority of the fan base.)

Here are more findings from just a few more minutes of custom battles:

1. Infantry uses spears exclusively against cav now. They will always switch to their sidearms when approached by other infantry. This means that features of classic modded formations from M&B (as seen in Viking Conquest), such as shield walls putting shield-bearers to the front and polearm or twohander-wielding soldiers to the backlines, are gone - but it doesn't really matter because of the below finding.

2. Even if the AI used spears against infantry, you wouldn't want them to, because the spastic collision (or lack thereof) means every engagement is in the raping distance where spears lose their one advantage. There is no need for backline weapons such as long spears, two-handers, and polearms because there is often no back line at all, but a single line compromised of a screaming, churning mass of chimeric men.

3. Because there is little to no space between individual characters in a melee, the (enabled by default) option to show your banner above friendly troops ends up covering half of your screen in glowing shit. Disabling this option, you will find that you still can't distinguish friend from foe, because once two infantry lines are engaged in melee they look like a mass of swarming termites. Your choices are to see fuck all or to see fuck all else.

4. Characters don't know how to fight in formations. Taleworlds supposedly released a beta patch in February specifically to address this! I can put my guys in a shield wall or a square and the individual soldiers will only fight back against enemies attacking them directly. The whole point of a formation is that its individual soldiers should be able to cover each other, such that a single foe faces multiple weapons at once. As it stands now they are incredibly conservative and get swarmed easily.

5. As a combination of all of the above, cavalry is even more OP in this game than in warband. Historically realistic? Sure. But historically, the counter to heavy cav (besides other heavy cav) was of course a tightly packed infantry formation armed with long spears and polearms. Because of all of the above findings, however, infantry has an icecube's chance in hell of holding up against significantly fewer numbers of cavalry. In custom battles I tested empire vs empire match ups of an increasingly smaller number of heavy cav (from 150 to 50) against 250 infantry, in ideal conditions for infantry (tight formation, spears, holding their position, etc) and every single time the cavalry completely trounced my infantry. Out of the initial charge a handful of horses may be stopped in their tracks by the wall of men, but when half of them aren't interested in attack, the mass advantage ends up not mattering at all.

The sad thing is that Viking Conquest did all of this not simply better but very competently indeed and it wasn't even developed by the core Taleworlds team. The sadder thing is that original warband - and, fuck, the legacy M&B versions - did some of these aspects, such as unit cohesion etc, noticeably better.

Eight fucking year, lads. Oh well - carry on discussing how its cool that there are children in the game and how pretty the towns look now (because both of those things are indeed nice additions, though they only feel me with greater resentment, and a yearning for a game that has all that in addition to an improved core combat experienced).
It seems to me like there is some sort of collision between troops.
oqEqg1H.jpg

Like they held the line, not transform into a blob.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harthwain

Magister
Practice fight is garbage. Archers can kill you before you can run towards them if you don't have shield, YOU DONT GAIN SKILLS FOR FIGHTING and you get like 5 gold even if you kill a bunch of dudes (I think my record was 5 guys).
It's... a practice fight. I am certain you're not supposed to profit from it, but to practice your manual skills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom