Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Mount__Blade_Ii_Bannerlord_Screenshot_2020.03.31_-_14.35.48.97.png

If the writing is currently "so-bad-it's-good", I think I'll buy in before Early Access fixes all this.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I see what you mean Lithium Flower but groups moving in and out of combat didn't feel very fluid in VC. Actually I remember it looking pretty funky, instead of individual soldiers they moved like one robotic entity.

You can see how they dance around in this video:

I do hope though the make some improvements since I want a bit slower infantry battles. When everyone clashes together as infantry it's usually over in seconds. It's just too damn deadly! Cav is great though, and I have seen the AI use archers as skirmishers. Running around taking potshots at the infantry and going in and out from combat.

I see what you mean Lithium Flower but groups moving in and out of combat didn't feel very fluid in VC. Actually I remember it looking pretty funky, instead of individual soldiers they moved like one robotic entity.

Sure. And again, this is what I would assume lax collision in Bannerlord tried to address, only I think it ended up the equivalent of amputating a foot to fix a broken toe. Personally I will take a good gameplay flow with some clunky implementation to the smooth implementation of a clusterfuck any day.

You don't have to take my word for it, of course. Play a VC and Bannerlord custom battle back to back and see which one you like best.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Sure. And again, this is what I would assume lax collision in Bannerlord tried to address, only I think it ended up the equivalent of amputating a foot to fix a broken toe. Personally I will take a good gameplay flow with some clunky implementation to the smooth implementation of a clusterfuck any day.

You don't have to take my word for it, of course. Play a VC and Bannerlord custom battle back to back and see which one you like best.

Like I said, I wish the infantry play was better, the current form of it's just too deadly/suicidal, but I wouldn't want to go back to dancing armies. I guess some balance between the two would be great, but I'm not sure what and how they would change it. Playing as cav is heavily improved though, they don't suicide and lords themselves don't either from what I can tell. That is a huge + for me in Bannerlord.

thesecret1

Arcane
I'm liking this a lot, it feels like refined warband with a couple new mechanics and quality of life changes (like being able to know where a lord was last sighted at any time from encyclopedia FINALLY), which is pretty much all I've wanted from it. It also seems to somehow run really well despite having more troops and better graphics. It's a bit buggy right now and the starting quest is mind-bogglingly shitty (find 10 NPCs strewn around the map, happy hunting), but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.

Hellion

Arcane
The main quest seems to essentially be a segway towards joining a kingdom or starting your own.

You declare yourself either for or against the Empire, you find a famous thingamabob and either pass it on to one of the faction leaders and pledge yourself to him/her or you use it to create your own faction.

Nothing ground-breaking. I'm not sure it's enough to appease the "WHER IZ TEH STORI" crowd that trashed Warband back in the day because it was purely open-ended sandbox.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Im kinda disapointed that after so many years we only got better version of Warband, but then remember thats is not a bad thing, Warband was good.
The fact that we can have more than just one mod active already make Bannerlord superior. I hope that engine is much more modable than Warband engine was.

But still Bannerlord must be polished to stable and bug free version, without infinite loadings and crashes, we have a long way to go, well Taleworlds has, we just must wait... again.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
But still Bannerlord must be polished to stable and bug free version, without infinite loadings and crashes, we have a long way to go, well Taleworlds has, we just must wait... again.
Yes, and that's the mentality I've put myself in knowing I'm buying an Early Access game. I'm sure many of the bugs we're bitching about will be addressed and/or fixed by the final release, whenever that may be.

Dude, never recruit your prisoners in Warband. It drives your morale into the dirt, and then half of your newly recruited troops will run away during the night. The only reason why you would want to do this is if you just captured your first castle, and you're hurting for troops, and you have a bunch of captured high-level enemies. Then you can recruit them and immediately put them in your castle garrison where they won't desert.

Good to know. I guess I'll just execute all my prisoners. Fuck it.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
how are the crashes with everyone else? I'm not sure if I'm the unlucky one but I got to a place where the game will crash right away when I try to leave the village I'm currently at. Unfortunately, I only had one save file and that's where it loads.
I think I will have to reroll.

Zariusz

Arbiter
how are the crashes with everyone else? I'm not sure if I'm the unlucky one but I got to a place where the game will crash right away when I try to leave the village I'm currently at. Unfortunately, I only had one save file and that's where it loads.
Ive got first crash during tutorial, second during clicking something in trade and i cant enter sea raider camps or i get stuck in infinite loading.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Had no crashes so far but frequent hitching makes it unplayable. Settings don't matter. My system is outdated but plays Doom Eternal, Witcher 3 etc just fine at 1080p with either maxed settings (almost any game) or just a bit reduced (doom eternal, dunno if I could increase). I've only ever had issues with a few very badly optimized games before iirc.

People with NASA Mainframe-level PC's are reporting the same issue seemingly irrespective of OS or HD/SSD, graphics card, processor... None of the suggested fixes do anything. Note that not everyone has these hitching issues, but so far no one has figured out what specifically causes them on some systems.

Lots of reports of the game eating any amount of RAM people have (no matter the amount) and whatnot.
EDIT: They often state that the ram usage is close to or at 100% but task manager still says that there's RAM left for some reason. Some weird bug?

Loads of issues like entire lines of goods missing from stores (certain faction's armor and such), quest bugs, some bandit types bizarrely overpowered and murdering elite faction infantry easy, bizarre item stats...

There's a lot of stuff wrong which even a basic internal SP test should have caught... Weird.

For the long dev time this is disappointing... Time to wait even longer, I guess.
If there's one thing you can say for Taleworlds it's that while they're not super-competent on a technical level and never were, they do support their products seemingly forever.

So I'm hoping this will be playable for me eventually...

Last edited:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Either I really lucked out with my first workshop, or wood workshops in general generate absurd amounts of money - I recouped my initial investment of 12k in less than a week.

Jinn

Arcane

Haven't had a single crash in about 10 hours of play. It really seems to be hardware dependent or there is some setting that is fucking up people with lower end hardware's shit.

It also sounds like the game hates HDDs. I hate to say it, but you guys still running your OS and games off an HDD, it's time to do yourself a favor and switch to an SSD.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2

Crashes are frequent for me. Have about 5 now + now this one, which breaks the game everytime, which forces me to load a older save game. Gametime so far is 74 days. Well was, I have to play those 5 days again.
"Army of Poachers" quest breaks the game. It starts with a negative time to finish the quest which crashes the game after you leave the own.

Hellion

Arcane
Loading times are long even when playing on an SSD, or at least "long-ish" for SSD standards anyway - i.e. talking to an NPC procures a loading screen of 2-3 seconds, entering a town from as low as 5 to as high as 9-10 seconds etc. I can't even imagine how it must be like when loading it off of an old HDD.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Loading times are long even when playing on an SSD, or at least "long-ish" for SSD standards anyway - i.e. talking to an NPC procures a loading screen of 2-3 seconds, entering a town from as low as 5 to as high as 9-10 seconds etc. I can't even imagine how it must be like when loading it off of an old HDD.

My ANCIENT garbage HDD (a WD Green, lol) has exactly the same loading times as what you're stating there, amusingly enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom