Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Berwick Saga (PS2 Strategy-RPG from the director of Fire Emblem 1-5)

Endemic

Arcane
Update 124: Chapter 8 - The Wooden Cavalry (part 2)

This time, Ruby's spear throw is right on target.

3YunDBs.jpg

The crossbowman on the western side of the village is swiftly dispatched.

uPDqNYy.jpg

Sherlock sets up for overwatch, as another civilian flees.

fIdkU3Z.jpg

Sylvis does the same.

lDPJskO.jpg

Burroughs signals for the retreat, as Imperial soldiers continue their advance.

TRnT7AT.jpg

tkxfEw6.jpg

There is just one axeman on the western side, but this crossbowman is a serious threat:

ThEjYx8.jpg

Reese talks to Martha.

pe0HIRo.jpg

Fl7b64X.jpg

Reese: I'll search for her, ma'am. But in the meantime, please leave while you still can. It's all right. You can trust me.

Martha: ...I understand. Please, save my daughter...

sNi8dBV.jpg

Meryl: What should I do...? Mother... Help me...

I'll need to send Reese there to guide her to safety. Meanwhile, Sylvis successfully makes her overwatch shot, and a friendly ballista takes out the enemy:

hiTGei0.jpg

I employ the one-two punch of Elbert and Dean again to good effect.

BP7fMvN.jpg

Sylvis goes back on overwatch to deal with the next wave of Imperial troops, interrupting another crossbowman. Czene finds some more loot after dealing with another thief.

qD9NtqW.jpg

Just two more levels until promotion.

adRocTv.jpg

Everyone else holds position for now, except Ruby who injures this axeman with a spear charge:

G8HwD0r.jpg

On turn 5, we see that Simas is still continuing his prayer.

byAnILF.jpg

I decide to have Ruby attack the same soldier again. The enemy's first move involves attacking Sylvis; Sherpa guards and takes the hit:

b9zFc5Q.jpg

Izerna moves into physic range to patch him up.

TwogXMk.jpg

Damn ballisticians stealing my kills again :P

OO0UI7r.jpg

GLHv8Es.jpg

Since things are now calm, Daoud is sent to cut down the ash tree. Czene finds 1000 gold in a house (having a thief really does pay off in a literal sense). Two more villagers make it away safely as well.

Imperial troops arrive on turn 6, prompting a remark:

mB6Uw1S.jpg

This priest is potentially very dangerous to Ward and Sherpa (Scylla does bonus damage based on the target's level), I'll want to deal with him quickly.

fTzKzlS.jpg

A combination of Sherlock on overwatch, followed up by attacks from Elbert and Dean, strike down a spearman in the west.

a3yJOcx.jpg

Reese finds Meryl.

ybNcCvT.jpg

Meryl: Huh?! Y-Yes, I am... But who are you...?

Reese: This place is dangerous. Get out of here, quickly.

Meryl: I-I'm sorry... I was trying to find my way out, but I got so lost...

Reese: The road to Fort Remagen is just up the ridge here to the east. We'll hold off the enemy soldiers, so you go on ahead.

Meryl: I will! I'll go as fast as I can! Thank you, Mr. Knight!

Sylvis continues to demonstrate the power of overwatch, but a follow-up attack by Ruby isn't enough and the Raze priest is able to heal.

lu1ganu.jpg

However, Sherpa cripples the enemy (only being healed to full health will cure injuries).

Qqu0ZWD.jpg

Burroughs stays put for one more turn, as the rest of his squad continues retreating.

On the following turn, Bishop Simas finally makes his way out of the church:

IMNKUrU.jpg

The enemy forces have been surprisingly lacklustre overall.

J4Z8hWV.jpg

A good opportunity for Czene to get some experience, so I have her capture the Imperial axeman.

pN5Cbcz.jpg

She is struck by the Raze priest in response.

NthPp6R.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Update 125: Chapter 8 - The Wooden Cavalry (part 3)

Elbert continues to distract the enemy:

UxbDOeM.jpg

Sherpa guards Czene, while Izerna heals.

XitiFZl.jpg

Another kill for Dean.

g9iYYZ3.jpg

Daoud chops down the ash tree.

Ze7mMCZ.jpg

2R91Yfy.jpg

Thanks to his multi-shot abilities, Sherlock cuts down this crossbowman in one turn.

3ofpxsm.jpg

Now he can use the composite bow without a penalty.

AyomM0Q.jpg

Ruby makes a quick hit-and-run attack, as Sylvis overwatches the approach to the village. More troops arrive on turn 8:

5bGhtjf.jpg

Attempting to cast magic on Sylvis was the last mistake this priest made.

wr7OuaM.jpg

Sherlock's overwatch shot softens up this soldier, allowing Elbert to move in for the kill.

u7D87jd.jpg

Reese rejoins the western group, as the battle continues in the east. Imperial archers emerge on turn 9.

J4Vpzeb.jpg

Sherpa cuts down a spearman that tried to bypass the line.

2lJRUw7.jpg

Ward repositions to cover Sylvis, as more skirmishing occurs nearby. Elbert switches to provoke bot duty.

Czene finds Vasquez, a wanted criminal, inside another house:

JFYnX9g.jpg

She crits him and manages to dodge a few sword swings, breaking her knife in the process. The fight is inconclusive and Vasquez retreats to another part of the building.

0hUY1qL.jpg

Dean's axe claims another victim.

PWKlPnA.jpg

Already level 13. He should be pretty close to recruitment, if he isn't there already.

GMayOD8.jpg

On the next turn, a non-Imperial arrives on the battlefield:

AWW8xMW.jpg

Reese crits an archer.

XXm65xU.jpg

Pretty nice level-up, too.

SkcBgev.jpg

Ward's weapon gives out. I'll have to switch him to another one next turn.

vdT5jID.jpg

Ruby throws a pilum to end this particular duel.

ccYtz2Q.jpg

Czene moves away from the house she fought Vasquez in, and he exits it soon afterwards:

9t1V3N5.jpg

Elbert uses provoke again, and Izerna takes the opportunity to heal Ward back to full hp.

Sherpa heads over to talk to Kay... maybe we'll learn why he was branded a traitor.

EZn5E3n.jpg

Kay: Don't "long time no see" me, you worthless traitor! My father... and all the others... They're dead because of you! Draw your sword, Sherpa! Today, one of us will live, and one of us will die!

Sherpa hesitates for several moments.

Kay: What's wrong? I thought you were a brave man!

He throws his sword aside.

S5rPpT5.jpg

Kay: ...Resigned yourself, have you? As you wish. I'll end it quickly...

As she draws her crossbow to fire, an Imperial patrol arrives.

KTUrwHo.jpg

Imperial: This man works for the League. We might get information out of him.

Kay: I can't allow that. He's responsible for-

Imperial: You are Chieftess Kay of the Conoll Clan, is that correct? I believe we had an agreement that you would cooperate with the Empire in exchange for your autonomy. Or are you saying that you can no longer honour our arrangement?

Kay: I don't mean that, sir! I simply wish to kill this man with my own hand!

Imperial: That is fine. After we have interrogated him thoroughly, he will be all yours. Until then, however, he must be allowed to live.

fD6ipvb.jpg

As Sherpa is marched away, the fighting in the west intensifies.

ZjV7vCN.jpg

I choose to move Elbert first, but this leaves Izerna open to attack, and an arrow injures her.

siMSJQ2.jpg

Reese's sword punctures Vasquez.

jTam0SY.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Update 126: Chapter 8 - The Wooden Cavalry (part 4)

Dean's taken a few hits, so I have him fall back a bit to use a vulnerary.

5QFxJVP.jpg

Sherlock is good at this archery thing.

y0iJtBt.jpg

Daoud rejoins the western group, while Sylvis stops another soldier in his tracks.

Since there are still enemies in range, I move Izerna back to the church as a precaution:

RhN1DPs.jpg

Ruby is still at base strength, and it shows. Luckily she's only a couple points from meeting the skill requirements for promotion.

spgZoMO.jpg

Enid is ordered into action and dutifully roasts this knight with Pallas Leia (boosted by Focus Chant).

1WIddVM.jpg

On turn 12, some tougher opposition arrives. A broadaxe and shield-equipped soldier, with arbalest support.

Mb3Ts19.jpg

Elbert goes up first and provokes the arbalester. Turns out this was the wrong move, because Izerna is struck again by that archer who survived with 1hp :argh:

z45o1pU.jpg

Ruby mops up the axeman, since he hasn't moved yet.

FLJKAGG.jpg

Eh, I guess shield is better than nothing.

PcL687Q.jpg

Daoud attacks next, but falls just 1 damage short of a kill. Meanwhile, all of the civilians have escaped unharmed:

WF7htsJ.jpg

Sherlock makes a quick hit-and-run strike.

SfDcLDI.jpg

Czene backstabs this annoying guy for me.

QNZWdNv.jpg

Izerna has to trade with Ward for another vulnerary, and retreats further into the village to use it. Ward stands guard next to Czene.

Next turn, the reinforcements are in the east, so Elbert's group has some breathing room:

WVIpjRB.jpg

Dean trades blows with the armoured axeman, whose counter skill backfires when it misses, allowing an additional strike to kill him.

0l0HSj1.jpg

The broadaxe he dropped will come in handy, Dean's one is looking worse for wear.

Elbert took a hit from the arbalest, so he uses a vulnerary.

JXaCvmj.jpg

Sherlock's one-two and double-shot are available this turn, so he softens up the arbalester with them. Over on the eastern side of the village, Reese will have to swap weapons.

ZR8bNvy.jpg

As the foot units are directed to fall back, Imperials start arriving from the southwest as well:

1oSEeMj.jpg

VHgaW0L.jpg

Sherlock takes the first move, eliminating the arbalest threat.

KBeSrwK.jpg

Reese cuts down the soldier he began fighting on the previous turn.

pTbbZ9o.jpg

Ruby successfully charges with her spear. The accuracy boost from having Reese nearby is quite helpful.

bOUKYHq.jpg

Over on the western front, Dean has a spear thrown at him; Elbert uses provoke on the nearby enemy soldier that hasn't moved yet. Daoud joins in to trade axe hits, but finds only the enemy's shield in his path.

Conveniently, Izerna is in range to support:

N4Y9Mu2.jpg

Ward and company retreat to the cliffs, as Imperial cavalry units join the battle.

uCf9rii.jpg

nwyPPLT.jpg

As cavalry archers close in to the village, the first ballista is safely withdrawn.

Hi2G3Ih.jpg

Elbert continues to lure the enemy, leaving an opportunity for Enid to cast her magic unhindered.

fUfnBxa.jpg

There goes Sherlock's longbow. Good thing I packed him a composite bow in his bag.

RwlN749.jpg

Sylvis takes up an overwatch position at the cliff chokepoint, to prevent the Imperial cavalry from advancing past it. Reese briefly skirmishes with a cavalry archer before falling back to join her.

Further south, Ward steps in to protect Burroughs:

xtviJxN.jpg

The advancing Imperial forces become more threatening with each passing turn.

Q8bCGNm.jpg

x6jkKHe.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Update 127: Chapter 8 - The Wooden Cavalry (part 5)

The situation is getting dicey, and it's going to take a few more turns for the slow-moving ballistae to escape.

uRt8xII.jpg

Enid retreats behind the front line; an enemy archer does the same and uses a vulnerary. Sherlock equips his composite bow and provides covering fire.

6jept2s.jpg

Elbert also drops back, taking Enid's vulnerary in case he is hit again.

tla3eNn.jpg

Ward fends off an armoured axeman, followed by Dean scoring a lucky crit:

VwnOqcD.jpg

On the eastern front, Ruby and Reese continue to skirmish with the Imperials. Ward relocates to protect Sherlock.

cuTbY3h.jpg

Turn 17 sees spearmen entering the area from the southwest.

zOJA4U1.jpg

Sylvis fells a cavalry archer with her overwatch shot.

XSsK0DO.jpg

Another kill for Sherlock.

Z9ddz1l.jpg

He's still a long way from promotion, requiring 6 more levels.

d7QbLko.jpg

Making use of canto, he retreats over to the ballistae. Sylvis intercepts a crossbowman that shortcutted over the cliffs:

juTXxEz.jpg

Elbert gets on horseback, takes down an Imperial knight, and then retreats along the road.

utJsQxW.jpg

oYOuKCy.jpg

Daoud follows suit. Dean finds himself under heavy attack, Izerna steps in again to keep him in fighting condition.

E0uozPr.jpg

Ward switches his guard priority to Enid, who is in range of enemy cavalry. Next turn, the Imperial commander personally enters the fray.

GfqDTbP.jpg

Alongside him are a few more foot soldiers.

zjrlunb.jpg

The priest has a divine brace (+3 magic) but I'm not in a position to retrieve it from him.

P2jHjy1.jpg

Von Beck is no pushover; aside from good equipment, he has the commander and counter skills.

EIQn9xM.jpg

Thanks to adept, Dean makes short work of the spear cavalry:

rNxMjJQ.jpg

Sherlock is injured by a spear; I move Izerna immediately afterwards to heal him.

nJZVhFc.jpg

Dean's broadaxe lasts for one more counterattack.

V5PneZx.jpg

Sherlock and Ruby take out one of the pursuing spearmen.

OUnBo0p.jpg

Sylvis takes up a new overwatch position near some trees.

c1cTmfV.jpg

After switching to a fresh broadaxe, Dean eliminates the last enemy soldier in the southwest:

MjDTVMB.jpg

One more level to promotion.

FH9mOAj.jpg

Burroughs and his unit are safe; now we need to get out of here ourselves.

oPwSB8M.jpg

Ward guards Izerna, and Elbert draws the nearest knight towards him.

wCY6FzV.jpg

Daoud been's blocking enough during the retreat to raise his shield skill by 4 points already.

Q6aQwOn.jpg

As Sylvis retreats, Sherlock takes up overwatch on the flank:

LLuYZUz.jpg

Izerna moves last, and makes use of physic's range to heal Daoud.

swa0LxH.jpg

Reese gets a crit with his saber, but it doesn't roll enough bonus damage to kill.

yUnugvn.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Update 128: Chapter 8 - The Wooden Cavalry (part 6)

hHTW0Ow.jpg

Reese doubles back to take down this knight:

aRSnSZW.jpg

Canto allows him to return to his previous position after doing so. Sherlock is attacked by a cavalry archer with a swift bow, so the latter can still retaliate after being hit.

Ruby and Elbert move back to deal with the problem:

mavbGsW.jpg

Sylvis is the first to withdraw.

Rjosv7k.jpg

Enid, Sherlock, Czene, Izerna, and Dean follow. Ward stays behind to guard Ruby.

On the next turn, Elbert leaves first, causing the Imperials to switch their attention to Reese:

aVIJX4r.jpg

Ward is hit by a chu-ko-nu, but everyone retreats safely.

yJ9pCzi.jpg

4BZRWpL.jpg

Once the Sinon Knights arrive at Fort Remagen, Reese and Ward report in to General Rosecchar.

9zADs2P.jpg

Reese notices some commotion in the courtyard; apparently a crowd has gathered to watch someone being punished by flogging, judging by the sounds outside.

fkT7ZWj.jpg

Rosecchar [turning to the window]: Oh, that? It's nothing worth worrying about. One of our soldiers attempted to desert during the last battle. I am having him flogged.

Reese: A deserter?

Rosecchar: Yes, sad but true. In these days, there are many among us who would rather run than fight. The soldiers need a firm hand to remind them that such cowardice is unacceptable. That man has been sentenced to death by 300 lashes. We will make a fine example of him.

Reese: .....

dtNFyw0.jpg

Rosecchar: Although, seeing as you're Roswick's new favourite, I suppose you'll have to go back and report, eh?

Ward: Indeed, we must... Milord, we ought to make our way back home before nightfall.

Reese: Yes, you're right... I'm afraid I must be off, General Rosecchar. I wish you good fortune in the coming battles.

Rosecchar: Thank you.

on the road to Navaron...

lKg4ZAq.jpg

Ward: Who could it be, I wonder? I will go and see.

CWZp5re.jpg

Ward: He appears to have been beaten severely and then dumped here.

Reese: How terrible... [turning towards the convoy of troops] Sister, this man needs medical treatment!

zTGgD1N.jpg

Reese: We've done as much as we can here. We should take him back to the abbey in Navaron.

Ward: But milord, is this man not the deserter that General Rosecchar spoke of earlier?

Reese: I suppose he must be... His name was Burroughs, wasn't it? You and I know he wasn't deserting. He was fighting bravely to defend the villagers so they could escape.

Ward: You have a point there... I will find a cart to carry him.

Reese: Please do. We can hardly leave him out here to die as food for wolves.

Ward: Of course, sir.

somewhere in the Highlands...

TAgVE95.jpg

Kay doesn't respond. Sounds of a person being tortured emanate from a nearby house.

Imperial: Couldn't endure it, I assume? You put on an air of bravery, but you're just a woman after all... Then again, even most men wouldn't have the stomach to watch torture like that.

Kay: ...It has nothing to do with you.

Imperial: Oh...?

A while later, we observe some villagers have been rounded up:

BbLVOjY.jpg

Spearman: Yes, all of them who didn't resist and could still walk. The others we put down.

Kay: Wha-?!

Priest: Good. Get them ready to work. If any of them can't or won't, put them to the stake as usual.

Spearman: Yes, Father.

IwcLZIU.jpg

Imperial: If it weren't for our little agreement, we'd be burning you and the rest of your savages with them. You should be thankful to Chief Magnard and know your place.

Kay: ...Then, are you doing the same thing in all the occupied territories...?

Imperial: Of course. We must eliminate these vermin. There is no place in this world for those who do not fear God. Those are the Pope's words.

He pauses, glancing sideways at the Verians nearby.

Imperial: You and your people should prepare for conversion as soon as possible. If you do, you need not suffer the same fate as these Verians. They are only good as slaves.

Kay: Slaves...?

Mit52M5.jpg

Imperial: Once you're finished with that man, you can give him to this girl. Not that he'll last much longer... We can hardly use him to work alongside the others.

Spearman: Understood, sir.

later, after nightfall...

k8bNQEF.jpg

Someone can be heard unlocking a door.

1rieK8Q.jpg

Sherpa is unresponsive (probably because he's unconscious from the torture).

Unknown voice: Sherpa... Wake up...

Sherpa: Who...? Who are you...?

Unknown voice: You'll die if you stay here. Here, take my shoulder...

Sherpa: Urgh...Agh...!

k8bNQEF.jpg

The scene fades, soon followed by the save prompt. Did they escape?

In any case, that was an impactful ending to the mission. We observed the cruelty of both sides in the war, and we've seen what's at stake if the likes of Faisal conquer the continent. Sherpa's still doing his best Guts impression, surviving many hours of brutality in Imperial hands.

Thorakitai

Learned
I really love the depiction of war in this game, the scale feels grand despite not having FE4's continent sized maps and troops. Not to mention it perfectly (IMO) balances and fleshes out the two sides, something even modern FE games barely do it right.

Still, I'd wish Reese graduates from being a small hero who could barely impact the war. Besides stopping the Bornian forces at Aryusa and rescuing Vester, his missions are usually just clean up duty.

Bernstol and Bernard's fight in the frontlines against Faisal and Zephyrus comes across as more interesting as a result.

Endemic

Arcane
I really love the depiction of war in this game, the scale feels grand despite not having FE4's continent sized maps and troops. Not to mention it perfectly (IMO) balances and fleshes out the two sides

Indeed it does. There's also a few things I haven't shown yet (Volo's alternate recruitment method for example), I might fit those in after the ending perhaps.

Still, I'd wish Reese graduates from being a small hero who could barely impact the war. Besides stopping the Bornian forces at Aryusa and rescuing Vester, his missions are usually just clean up duty

I think the story is quite realistic in this sense. He's heir to a minor title, commanding a small number of soldiers. It's also a refreshing change from nearly every other protagonist being plot-centric in gaming.

We're only at the halfway point though, still a long way to go.

Bernstol and Bernard's fight in the frontlines against Faisal and Zephyrus comes across as more interesting as a result.

Bernard was imprisoned last chapter, but I understand the point. Without wanting to spoil too much, we will be seeing more of those men later.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why was Burroughs punished as a deserter? I mean he followed orders (more or less) to retreat. Was he made an example of?

Endemic

Arcane
Why was Burroughs punished as a deserter? I mean he followed orders (more or less) to retreat. Was he made an example of?

Burroughs' orders were to retreat to Fort Remagen immediately. Reese reiterated this at the start of the mission, but he insisted on staying in Kanne. It's the same deal as Marcel's actions in chapter 5 - sure, it was the morally right thing to do, but it was disobeying a superior's orders nonetheless.

Rosecchar himself only brings up the discipline argument, but I suspect he thought the village was a lost cause and insisted all troops were needed to man the fort. Having a ballista corps is a major force multiplier in medieval conflict, after all.

Endemic

Arcane
Hows the level up rng in this game? Its the one thing I hate about FE.

This is a low stat game, so don't expect to be hitting double digits too soon. As I've said earlier in this LP, level-ups are bracketed and one stat is always guaranteed, meaning you can't get empty levels. If all the character's stats are capped, they get a point of luck instead. Equipment skill (eg weapons, shields) increases with use as well as level-ups. I would say that equipment is more important than having a couple extra strength points for most cases.

I recommended checking out the following posts for a more detailed explanation on how the game works:

Basic mechanics
City\base functions (there's some story stuff, use Ctrl-F to find the tutorial)
Shops\equipment\horses
Mercenaries\happiness system

Search the thread for "tactical hints" as well. I wrote some of these a while ago so I don't remember where everything is off-hand, sorry.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 129: Chapter 8 - The Wooden Cavalry (ending)

Upon returning to the office, Tianna informs us a captured horse has been sent to the stables. There's also the ransom fee for the soldier we captured.

ZX0uQqB.jpg

The bounty on Vasquez is collected:

h2uQq0V.jpg

Time to turn in the citizen requests.

YKCQyIW.jpg

YNl5Mar.jpg

Bluck: Well, that's rather strange...

Tianna: How so?

Bluck: I don't think I've ever known a man named Morrison, least of all from Kanne...

Tianna: Hm... Then what are the contents of this parcel, I wonder?

Bluck: I'm curious about that, too. Here, I'll open it up... It's got some bows in it.

Tianna: Bows?

Bluck: And some special ones at that... These are masterwork Apollyon bows, hand-crafted from yew wood! I rarely get the chance to keep bows as nice as this in stock... and he's sent me three of them!

Tianna: I still do not quite understand...

Bluck: Ah, hold on, there's a letter here with them...

Tn7ffHH.jpg

Gk1mX24.jpg

o88Vc2l.jpg

Bluck: I see... That kid from back then... I hadn't paid attention to his name.

Tianna: He must have become a fine bowyer over the past few years.

Bluck: You said it... Just look at these! I doubt I could make something as nice...

Tianna: I'm glad I could help to bring such a kind gift to you, Mr. Bluck. I suppose I shall be off, then.

Bluck: Wait a moment, please! Take one of these bows home with you, Lady Tianna.

Tianna: I couldn't possibly...

Bluck: I've got three of them here. One for me, one for you... and the last one for... Hmm...

tCtbmqz.jpg

5tszWRq.jpg

Next up, Daoud's lumber-jacking exploits.

RcPrGfS.jpg

Daoud: ...Is it too small?

Marshe: No, not at all! I just didn't expect you to bring back an entire log... (Look at the size of it...! This log's got to weigh almost eight stone!)

That's 50.8kg, for those of you only versed in metric.

Daoud: If I didn't have to carry my armour or shield around, I could've gotten you a bigger one, but...

Marshe: T-That's quite all right! This is plenty! (What kind of monster is this man...)

The guy with the highest strength cap (25) in the game of course. ;)

aG291PT.jpg

Daoud: Do you need something else?

Marshe: Let me give you a plank or two from this log you brought me. It's the least I can do.

Daoud: But I'm not really in the need for any lumber...

Marshe: It's good-quality material. I'm sure you or your fellow knights will find some good use for it.

Daoud: ...If you insist, then all right. Thanks.

Marshe: Thank you, Sir Daoud! It's been a pleasure meeting you!

nsXYy9g.jpg

Russel reunites with his wife and daughter:

iixA8QE.jpg

Martha: I feel the same. Thank you for finding and protecting my little girl.

Meryl: Yes, thank you, Lord Reese!

Reese: I am glad you made it out safely. I should apologise for asking you to follow the road here on your own...

Meryl: Ah, no-no... I knew you were protecting me, Lord Reese, so I wasn't worried...

Reese: Is that so? You're quite brave, Meryl.

Meryl: T-Thank you...

iVtR7ul.jpg

Ward: However, I promise that the day will come that can safely return to Kanne. Until that day comes, I wish you the best of luck here.

Russel: It wasn't luck that saved us, Sir Ward. It was all of you. So, to thank you, I want you to have this. It's not much, but...

Ward: A gift...? You need not do that for us...

Russel: This is steel wire, made from many small threads braided together. It's much stronger than ordinary sinew or thread strings.

Ward: Oh? What is it used for?

Russel: I think it's best used for making powerful crossbow strings, but it's yours to do with as you like.

Ward: I see... Well, I accept it gladly.

Russel: Thank you, General Ward. And of course, you too, Lord Reese.

SeApeWs.jpg

Finally, Ward checks in at the temple.

euq3ooa.jpg

Lendel: To tell the truth, there is a good reason he was so obstinate.

Ward: Even to go so far as to stay behind praying, at the risk of his own life?

Lendel: In the past, Kanne was the target of a large-scale attack by many groups of bandits. The village's hired guards fought back against them, but the enemy was still far too numerous. The mayor decided to temporarily evacuate the village, and the bishop, just a priest at the time, followed.

Ward furrows his brow out of concern.

Lendel: However, it was all very hurried, and many of the village's women and children ended up falling behind. Bishop Simas only learned of this after the fact...

iKuLylm.jpg

Lendel: After that, the bishop vowed to stay in the village for the rest of his life... to pray for the souls of the people whom he had abandoned.

Ward: How tragic...

Lendel: Still, Sir Ward, we are truly thankful for what you've done. We have little to offer you, but please take this.

Ward: What is it?

Lendel: It is a powerful potion that can close any wound, regardless of how severe it might be.

Ward: Extraordinary... I am certain that we can put it to good use. Please give my best wishes to Bishop Simas for me.

Lendel: Of course. Take care, General.

cdumlpG.jpg

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 130: Chapter 8 - The Wooden Cavalry (Scars of War)

I'm going to do something unorthodox for this update, and refrain from adding any commentary to the post. Of course, you're still welcome to ask questions and discuss the scene with me.

7HrCm0D.jpg

G61irt3.jpg

Reese: Is that so? On what grounds?

Ward: I will concede that the man has considerable strength and skill... However...

Reese: Speak plainly, Ward. What's your objection?

Ward: I have watched him on the field of battle, and the way he fights... He cannot be normal.

Reese raises an eyebrow, waiting for Ward to continue his explanation.

Ward: The Empire may be our enemy, but he will not hesitate to slaughter men who have lost the will to fight... A merciless man like that simply cannot be a decent human being. Looking into his eyes, I see a man who is dead inside, yet whose mind still burns with rage... I do not know what happened to him in the past, but...

4NazN2T.jpg

Meanwhile, Izerna meets an Imperial soldier outside the abbey:

NVWA1xI.jpg

GAdSAXx.jpg

Fraus: Even though I was your enemy, you still showed me compassion... I'll never forget your kindness.

Izerna: Among those who are suffering, there is neither Empire nor League, but simply people. The gods commend us to show mercy to all equally.

Fraus: Sister Izerna...

Izerna: I hear that you will be returned to the Empire at the next exchange of prisoners-of-war. Will you be rejoining the Imperial Army afterward?

Fraus: ...No, the war is over for me. I think I will take my leave and perhaps cultivate the fields...

Izerna: I see... I think that is a good decision. Please take care on the journey back to your homeland.

Fraus: Thank you, Sister Izerna. I'll never forget you as long as I live. I suppose this is goodbye...

r1kn5dD.jpg

Making good on his threat, Dean runs up to Fraus, murderously swiping at him with his axe.

vmKpRHt.jpg

lv3FLqu.jpg

Izerna intervenes by angrily backhanding Dean across the face, prompting a confused reply.

jjvYBnp.jpg

Izerna: Dean... Why...? Why must you fight...?

Dean: Sister, why are you crying...? I was only...

Izerna: Both of you... Come here...

She leads them to a cemetery:

rIYfCFt.jpg

Dean: I know he's an Imperial soldier, and that's enough! They're all black-hearted devils! They have no right to live!

Izerna: ...Mr. Fraus, please explain to him what you've experienced with regards to the war.

Fraus: To this man...? ...All right. If you wish, Sister Izerna...

7GSpBN7.jpg

Fraus: The Verian soldiers were like demons, slaughtering old and young alike... They burnt the bodies and our entire village to the ground. Nothing was left but ash.

Dean: What?!

Fraus: I saw the light leave my brother's eyes, his neck limp like a ragdoll's... They threw my screaming sisters onto the pyre like firewood... Eighty-four people in my village were slaughtered that day. I only survived by hiding in the cistern like a coward... Up until then, I barely had the stomach to even slaughter pigs... But after that day, I became a black-hearted devil, as you say.

tLuqOSU.jpg

Dean is clearly unsettled by this revelation, and at a loss for words.

Fraus: If I could kill every last soldier of the Verian Army, maybe my family would be able to rest in peace... That was the only way to calm the raging hatred inside me... That's what I thought... Until Sister Izerna saved my life on the battlefield.

Izerna shoots him a meaningful glance, but allows him to continue his story.

ex5t4f9.jpg

Fraus: I wanted someone else to feel the same pain that I felt... I couldn't feel happiness or joy after all that I'd seen and done... But for the first time in seven years, I felt the warmth and compassion of another person's heart... Sister Izerna gave me the chance to change who I'd become. My true enemy wasn't the Berwick League or its people... but war itself.

Izerna: Nothing can come from filling one's heart with rage and hatred except for more pain... Dean, you told me you fought the Empire to take revenge for the family that you lost.

XF46pQB.jpg

Izerna: Can't you see you're just repeating the same madness over and over?

Dean has no answer for her.

Izerna: At this rate, there will be no end to the death and sorrow! Dean, how long will you keep continuing this cycle of hatred?! Even if you somehow did succeed, and every Imperial soldier was dead, what would you do then? Would your heart finally be able to rest peacefully, Dean?

Dean: I... I don't know... But still... Even so...! What can I do for my sisters if I don't avenge them?!

Izerna: Your sisters are dead, Dean! Just like Mr. Fraus's family is dead! All of them, killed by the war! And unless this war ends, the same story will keep happening to more and more people!

Dean: Then what do you want me to do?! I can't end the war by myself!

Izerna: I'm sorry... I-I don't know... But maybe Lord Reese will be able to give you the answer.

Dean: Lord Reese...?

Izerna: The weak and vulnerable are the worst victims of war.

f7F67Gk.jpg

Izerna: Lord Reese always tries to emphasize that his battles are not to kill his enemies, but to protect the lives of others. Dean, I'm begging you... Please don't kill for revenge... If you keep doing this, one day you will break entirely! I know this isn't you, Dean! You're a good person!

Dean: Sister... I-I need to think...

1WFKCaY.jpg

Fraus: It's called a bhuj. It was my favourite, but now... Well, it's no use to me anymore.

Dean: ...You're giving it to me? Even though I might use it to kill more Imperial soldiers?

Fraus: I considered that possibility... but... This axe has taken the lives of many Berwick League soldiers... However you want to use it... That's up to you.

bIs20On.jpg

Later that day...

mkfLfSb.jpg

Ward: This is rather sudden. Is something the matter?

JYDRZCj.jpg

Reese spends some time talking to Dean in his personal quarters. They re-emerge later, with Ward and Reese awaiting a decision:

B094TpN.jpg

Ward: Spit it out, lad! I don't have all day!

Reese: Peace, Ward. Dean, have you made up your mind?

Dean: Yeah... I paid a visit to my little sisters' graves...

Reese: That is good to hear. I'm sure Sister Izerna will be pleased. Ward, Dean will be joining us as a member of the Sinon Knights. Take care of the formalities.

Ward: I beg your pardon? Milord, I must insist that...

Reese: Dean and I have discussed the matter quite thoroughly. It's all right.

Ward: Very well...

Dean: Thank you, Lord Reese...

Reese: You should thank Sister Izerna, not me.

Dean: ...I will. From now on, I don't want to do anything to make her cry again... This is the only thing I can do to make things up to her...

PPY9M7d.jpg

Last edited:

Thorakitai

Learned
Dean's recruitment scene would be even more powerful if he wasn't mostly a non-entity (correct me if I'm wrong).

Maybe it goes like this: As Dean reaches his kill quota, there would be scenes where all Dean does is training himself and dehumanizing the Imperial troops while Izerna grows increasingly concerned, leading to his permanent recruitment scene. That's just my opinion though since the scene it's is powerful enough to portray how bad the cycle of war is in Lazberia.

Got a bunch of questions and a request, hope I'm not being too assertive with these.

1. How do knives work? All I understand is that they ignore an enemy's def and that they have a higher rate of causing injuries than most weapons. What does 1 + a mean?

2. Since youtube links would probably increase the pages' loading times, can you just post the name of the song being played in the game (especially in certain scenes), I just love the game's soundtrack.

Endemic

Arcane
Dean's recruitment scene would be even more powerful if he wasn't mostly a non-entity (correct me if I'm wrong).

Maybe it goes like this: As Dean reaches his kill quota, there would be scenes where all Dean does is training himself and dehumanizing the Imperial troops while Izerna grows increasingly concerned, leading to his permanent recruitment scene. That's just my opinion though since the scene it's is powerful enough to portray how bad the cycle of war is in Lazberia.

That's a fair point, at least one more scene prior to this would have been good to show character development, since Dean doesn't get much screentime. I did notice in the dialogue files there was some cut content with him in chapter 7. I'll go through it in my next update.

I suspect pacing reasons and permadeath contributed to the character scenes being written the way they are. The campaign has to function and make sense with or without the other playable characters besides Reese/Ward. This is unlike a traditional JRPG where character deaths in combat work differently.

Got a bunch of questions and a request, hope I'm not being too assertive with these.

1. How do knives work? All I understand is that they ignore an enemy's def and that they have a higher rate of causing injuries than most weapons. What does 1 + a mean?

The @ symbol means it rolls a random number between 1 and the unit's strength to calculate damage (before additional effects are applied).

2. Since youtube links would probably increase the pages' loading times, can you just post the name of the song being played in the game (especially in certain scenes), I just love the game's soundtrack.

Sure, I'll keep that in mind.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
For the scene with Dean and Izerna, I like the symbolic of it happening in a cemetery and how it ties with a gameplay change with Dean getting the mercy skill. Though that I agree that "Dean is a bloodthirsty maniac hellbent on revenge" is coming a little out of nowhere; I mean I don't think I remember any instance where it was shown.

Sure, I'll keep that in mind.

links to Youtube videos shouldn't change anything regarding load time, but embedded videos (where you can play the video on the forum page) might impact (but not by that much, it's only loading the reader and the thumbnail, so a few hundred KBs out of a page that weight a few MB (for example as measured by the Chrome dev tools, the previous page weights 25 MB))

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Actually, scratch that idea. The next scene is going to be quite long (by Berwick standards anyway), I'll have to discuss the cut content later on.

links to Youtube videos shouldn't change anything regarding load time, but embedded videos (where you can play the video on the forum page) might impact (but not by that much, it's only loading the reader and the thumbnail, so a few hundred KBs out of a page that weight a few MB (for example as measured by the Chrome dev tools, the previous page weights 25 MB))

I've been meaning to go back and edit the older images to JPG format to reduce loading time (and I'll probably change image host as well). That's also why I started limiting updates to ~30 images maximum.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 131: Chapter 8 - The Wooden Cavalry (Reparations)

ikTbu8h.jpg

rFxKSFa.jpg

Kay: My father should never have gotten involved with the Empire. Until now, I never saw them for what they really are... I hated you for abandoning my father... But I was wrong. I was just a naive girl making the same mistakes as him.

Sherpa: Your father... Chief Magnard... was a great man beloved by everyone. When the Verians were oppressing us, he helped us and the other native clans rise up to fight for our rights. To me, he was like a father. He took me in and taught me how to fend for myself... He meant more to me than any real parent could. I owed him everything. I thought that I could do anything for him. Even die for him. But three years ago, when he told me what he intended to do...

9WQqarG.jpg

Sherpa: I can't agree to this. We'll still be at the beck and call of foreign rulers!

Magnard: If we cooperate with the Razites, they've guaranteed our autonomy as a dependency of the Empire. It certainly sounds much better than our current situation, doesn't it?

Sherpa: Yet you're willing to tell our people to just give up our culture, and what we've believed for so long? To give up their faith and start worshiping the god Raze?!

Magnard: The Empire says it will not force our people to convert. And what's more, Sherpa...

Sherpa: What?

Magnard: We of the Conoll have lived in these lands since long before the days when the Verian people invaded. It was the Verians who arrived and conquered us, stealing our land and destroying our way of life. Verians, Razites... They're the same villains by two different names. Exchanging one for the other can hardly change our destiny now.

Sherpa: I know that the man calling himself Duke of the Highlands is our enemy... and if the Kingdom of Veria supports his rule, then they are also our enemy. But...this is bigger than us. If we do this, we'll be betraying all of the people of the Berwick League.

HwSwo20.jpg

Magnard: But at this rate, we are running out of options...

Sherpa: Chief Magnard, please! Reconsider what you're doing! What you're planning to do... I can't do it. I won't be a part of it.

Magnard: If you won't obey me, Sherpa... ...Then you're nothing more than a traitor!

vdm8uiY.jpg

Sherpa: Ugh...

hK8mIxA.jpg

Magnard: ...Sherpa, I... I'm an old man, worn and wearied by decades of war... I've become a coward... And now I've harmed one of my own clan... There's nothing left of the hero Magnard you once knew. I'm just a decrepit man who's lost his ambition and reason for living... This war, the fight for independence... I'm so tired of all... I just want to live my days in peace with Kay...

4i8VUcp.jpg

Magnard: You're strong, Sherpa. Strong enough to make the right choice. ...I want you to do it, Sherpa. Kill me. Do it for everyone's sakes. ...Do it!

Sherpa: Chief...

5WAEn4E.jpg

Sherpa: Because he attacked me unjustly, I had the right to defend myself. That was his intent. He wanted me to kill him with my own hands... and become the new chieftain.

Kay: Maybe... You should have done it...

Sherpa: ...After that, I came here to Narvia, far away from the clan. It wasn't until a while later that I heard he had lost his life fighting against the Highland Duke.

Kay: After you left, I asked Father why you did, but he wouldn't tell me anything... So I thought you had abandoned Father, and the clan... and me...

She is met with silence.

Kay: So I even blamed Father's death on your betrayal... I thought that if you'd been there...

Sherpa: Kay...

Kay: But when I saw what our allies in the Empire were doing, I realized that it was Father who'd been wrong.

Sherpa: ...You were right to blame me. I ran away, and I abandoned him and my clansmen to their deaths.

H9LwzJs.jpg

Kay: You idiot... You never let anyone in... You never tell anyone what you're feeling, even when you're hurting...

Their embrace is interrupted by a familiar figure...

yOWmaVu.jpg

dHtbVog.jpg

Kay: Hee hee... Seems I'm not the only one you're hiding things from.

Sherpa: What do you mean?

Kay: You're always so insensitive...

Sherpa: What's that got to do with anything...?

Kay: ...Sherpa, I'm going home to the Highlands.

He responds with a slight frown.

Kay: It's all right... I want you to stay here. You have your own battle to fight. I want you to be honest with your own heart, like in the old days...

Sherpa: Kay...

Kay: There's no need for farewells... There's still something I have to do before I go.

xrlzUQQ.jpg

m26eNpD.jpg

She ignores Rosalie, still brooding in silence about something.

Aegina: (Why did I have to get so angry...?)

Rosalie: Princess...

Aegina: (Why could I do nothing but run away?!)

Rosalie: HEY!

W8k3m0A.jpg

Aegina: T-That's not true... I was just lost in my thoughts...

Rosalie: ...Thoughts about Mr. Sherpa?

Aegina: W-Why would you bring him up?! He's got nothing to do with it!

Rosalie: (Because it's written all over your face, Princess...)

:lol:

Aegina [turning towards the gravestone]: More importantly, Rosalie, I'm grateful to you. You've decorated Father's grave so beautifully... I would have liked to make a proper one for his body back in Riana, but...

Rosalie: You've already done so much for His Late Majesty, Princess. I am certain he is happy just with the fact that you are safe now.

Aegina [turning around again]: Rosalie...

Rosalie: It's only been a short time since we came to this country, but it feels like we've been here for so long... Lord Reese and everyone from Sinon have been so kind to us... I'm glad we came here to Narvia.

Aegina: ...Yes...

Rosalie: Princess...?

Aegina: It's not bad to feel welcome... But I can't lose sight of the duty that I must fulfill. You understand, don't you?

Rosalie looks back at her without a word.

4akPudw.jpg

Morai: Now, quietly step aside... You shall abdicate the throne to me.

Marius: The throne of Riana will never be taken by one who does not carry the blood of St. Riana in his veins!

Morai: Oh, I don't think you'll have to worry about that for long...

Marius: What?! You can't mean...!

Morai: Don't worry, King Marius... I'll take good care of little Aegina. You can rest easily... Yes, rest in peace! Ha ha ha!

Marius: You... You traitor--!

8xm7EUQ.jpg

Marius: A-Aegina... Wherever you are... run...!

No8Qi3X.jpg

YbfDHSw.jpg

Aegina: I'm going to bring Morai to justice. I'll see to it that he pays for his crimes, or I'll die trying.

Rosalie: Princess, please don't say such terrible things... If anything ever happened to you, I don't know what I'd do...

Aegina: I'm sorry, Rosalie... But I've made up my mind.

WUdQd5l.jpg

Aegina: You're that woman...

Kay [approaching]: Yes... We didn't have a chance to speak back at the tavern.

Aegina eyes her suspiciously.

Rosalie: Miss Aegina, I think should be going on home now... (Princess, you can't lose to her!)

The conversation continues off-screen. A short while later:

d3OgNey.jpg

Kay: That's what he does. He never tells anyone else what he's feeling.

Aegina: It seems that... you know Sherpa quite well...

Kay: We've known each other since we were both children... But I never could get that close to him. It seems that his heart is filled with thoughts of another woman...

Aegina: Another woman?

Kay: ...I'm going back to the Highlands.

Aegina: What...?

Kay: I won't be taking Sherpa with me, so don't you worry.

Aegina: Worried?! Who would be worried about him? In fact, just take him! Nothing would make me happier!

Kay: Hee hee... I'm a little jealous of you.

Aegina: Huh...?

Kay: ...When I return home, I'm going to lead my clan in the fight against the Empire. As the daughter of a proud people, it's my responsibility to regain what we've lost.

A75oXfW.jpg

Kay: And now, they're being tormented yet again, by the Empire. Small countries like ours are always tools of bigger ones... But still, I'm not going to repeat my father's mistakes. I'm going to fight to regain my home with my own hands, and I'm going to do it my way. Best of luck to you, Aegina. I know the people of Riana are looking forward to your return.

Aegina doesn't acknowledge the sentiment.

Kay: I wish I could stay and talk with you for a while longer, but I must be going now.

Aegina: ...Wait...!

Kay: Hm?

Aegina: I'm sorry... I misunderstood you...

Kay [chuckling]: That's all right. Here, you should have this.

Aegina: What is it?

Kay: It's an amulet. You're supposed to weave a lock of hair from someone you want to see again into it. Then, no matter how far apart you are, or what pain you go through, you're destined to meet again. It's an ancient tradition passed down among Highlander clans.

YxHSjDB.jpg

uZHz9o3.jpg

Kay: Farewell... Princess of Riana.

UKET1lF.jpg

Well, there's quite a lot to unpack here (besides the constant Aegina trolling :P). One thing that's easy to miss among the character backstories and other drama is the worldbuilding in this sequence. Magnard might have come across as foolhardy in the end, but he wasn't wrong about the Verians and Razites not looking so different. Of course, it helps that Sherpa, Aegina and Rosalie have had ongoing character development since chapter 3, making it easier for us to get invested in them.

There is one last part here, which is Sherpa's recruitment:

T3NOQJF.jpg

6dJI0Nn.jpg

Reese: You are?! That's a shame...

Sherpa: Until now, I've been thinking about my former clansmen fighting on the side of the Empire... But I've settled all my debts with the past now. From here on out, I'm going to follow my own heart.

Reese: I see... Very well, then. Still, I'm grateful for all the work you've done for us, Sherpa.

Sherpa: ...In that case, why not take me on as one of your subordinates?

Reese: You want to join my army?

Sherpa: Sure, if you'll have me.

va0jDnP.jpg

Sherpa: I'm only swearing anything to one man, and that's you, Lord Reese. You're one of the few Verians who I know we Highlanders can trust.

Reese: Sherpa... If you truly mean that, then I'm afraid that I can't have you with us. There's nothing that following me can gain for you or your people. I am His Majesty's subordinate, simply a small part of the kingdom. I have no say in these matters. If you fight for me, we will fight as comrades under the same flag of the Kingdom of Veria. And if we die together, then we will be buried as fellow soldiers of that same kingdom. That's all I ask of you, and it's all that I can offer you.

xldY0zu.jpg

Sherpa: You're a man I know I can place my trust in, Lord Reese.

:salute:

Last edited:

Dark_knight17

Novice
Looking forward to the next update! I started my playthrough much later than yours and I really enjoyed all you thoughts and advice about the game! It was also really helpful to see where and what reinforcements would appear.

Endemic

Arcane
Looking forward to the next update! I started my playthrough much later than yours and I really enjoyed all you thoughts and advice about the game! It was also really helpful to see where and what reinforcements would appear.

Thanks. I do apologize for the slow pace, I'm juggling some IRL things right now.

I did a blind playthrough the first time in 2018, when most of the game hadn't been translated yet. I didn't finish that one, but it was neat figuring out some of the obscure stuff myself. Some Japanese player was crazy enough to do a resetless ranked run, which probably consumed more time than I'd like to think about :P

Endemic

Arcane
Update 132: Chapter 8 - The Wooden Cavalry (Ophelia / Investiture)

05op9y4.jpg

m8lYEsk.jpg

Ophelia's home is deserted, with no trace of her whereabouts.

YfQymJ1.jpg

Sherlock heads to the tavern for answers.

0z6WAVB.jpg

Sherlock: Ophelia's father, Basselin... What kind of man was he? What was his story?

Alex: Well... I heard he was once a devout Verian priest in his younger years. Then, one day, he just left. He started devoting himself fully to crafting musical instruments. That's about all I know.

Sherlock pauses, then turns to leave.

kytBbas.jpg

Sherlock: Did you remember something?

Alex: I think I have an idea of where Ophelia might have gone.

Sherlock: You do?! Where?

Alex: There's an abandoned warehouse over in the harbour district. She'd go there from time to time to practice her lyre without anyone being around to hear. That's what she told me, at least.

Sherlock: Somewhere near the harbour... You're sure?

Alex: Nope. Never been there, myself. Wouldn't be much point in going. Even if I did find her, I know I could never convince her to come back. ...That's why I'll leave it to you, Sherlock.

Sherlock [hesitantly]: ...Thank you, Alex.

o9V5Lak.jpg

A while later, he comes across the warehouse, and unlatches the door.

IVkytEy.jpg

Ophelia: Sherlock...!

Sherlock: You don't need to say anything. Just please, hear what I have to say.

She falls silent, waiting for him to continue.

Sherlock: When I... When one of our comrades dies, the survivors will make a big racket and be merry for them. It's one of the ways we mourn for people back in my homeland. But one night... I tried to join in on the cheering, but tears just wouldn't stop coming. No matter what I did, I was just a man crying alone in a tavern full of people... But the one who stopped the tears that night was you, Ophelia. It was hearing your lyre.

JYc1FIN.jpg

Sherlock: Won't you play for me, Ophelia? I don't care if it's in this dusty place. I don't care where it is. All I want is to listen to you, and I can be happy...

Ophelia picks up her lyre and strums a note, then stops. They sit in silence for a few moments, before she resumes playing.

I can't find the sound effects for this, so here's the OST theme:

Sherlock: ...Thank you... Ophelia...

BjQuznT.jpg

Those of you who are well-read will probably recognize the name Ophelia from Shakespeare's Hamlet, but the name itself is of Greek origin, roughly meaning "helper". Fitting, considering her role in Sherlock's subplot here. That said, we're still not any wiser as to what exactly happened in Soleil. The priest in chapter 7 claimed that she murdered the entire settlement, but so far nothing we've seen from Ophelia indicates the temperament of a killer. At the very least, she's doing a good job of hiding that.

Moving on, the final scene here is Reese's promotion:

b8ZdHVF.jpg

aapagWZ.jpg

Roswick: Your Majesty, please consider the enormity of what Lord Reese has achieved during his time here. If he is not properly rewarded for his actions, the citizens may feel that their patron has been slighted...

Frxbp9N.jpg

Padolf: I believe rewarding him for that would be irresponsible.

Herman: I agree with Minister Padolf. Granting him a title at this time seems far too premature.

Lebough: Might I share my thoughts on this, Your Majesty?

Volcens: Archbishop Lebough? Yes, feel free to speak.

Lebough: The title of Knight Lord is simply a mark of fame, not one of any true power or rank in the kingdom. Much like the title of paladin among ordinary knights, it is a badge of honour to reward great deeds. Many kings throughout the centuries have rewarded their loyal subjects with this title.

YrQ31Ny.jpg

Lebough: Giving that title to Lord Reese will surely show your dedication to the well-being of this kingdom's citizens.

Volcens: I see... By awarding it to that boy, we will also improve our image with the people... Very well. Roswick, see to it that the ceremony is prepared.

Ox33M2T.jpg

Soldier: Lord Reese of Sinon has arrived!

The attendees cheer.

ZpXlUzo.jpg

Cc3K9Na.jpg

Padolf: the title of Knight Lord is to be granted to you. May you persevere in loyalty and love for His Majesty.

Reese: I accept with great joy. For His Majesty's sake, I will forever persevere! I will devote all the strength I have to Mother Veria and to the people of her kingdom!

Sienna: Lord Reese... You are the pride of Veria. For all you have endured thus far, I thank you with all my heart.

Reese: I am truly honoured, Your Highness.

Sienna: May your name be forever engraved in the hearts of the people. The Goddess's blessings be upon this extraordinary young man!

REWQaNE.jpg

That's +3 hp, and +2 to strength, speed, defence, along with access to medium shields (initial skill set at level x 0.5, rounded down).

wUi5hLI.jpg

Volcens: Whether it be rank or dominion, gold, silver or treasure... Ask it, and I will grant your wish.

Reese: I have no desire for rank or land, Your Majesty. I have but one simple request.

Volcens: Is that so? Tell me, what is it?

Reese: Release Larentia, the knight of Pesil!

Volcens: Knight of Pesil? ...Herman, what is he talking about?

Herman: I presume he means the woman who was arrested on charges of being an Imperial spy...

Roswick: But she has already been acquitted! Lord Herman, have you neglected to release her all this time...?

KTFRU4m.jpg

After the ceremony, Reese heads over to the dungeon:

1kvFj8g.jpg

Larentia: Lord Reese, you must not keep putting yourself at risk for my sake... Please, forget about me...

Jung: No can do. Right, Lord Reese? We're in this together now. I've got to make a living somehow...

Vanmilion arrives with the city guard:

ac84OAg.jpg

Jung: W-What?! Hold on a second! I ain't done nothing wrong! It was all Lord Reese's idea! I can explain everything!

Vanmilion: Don't worry, Mr. Jung. I'll be taking care of you personally to make sure you receive justice. Take him away, men.

Defender: Yes, milord!

D9tOhwS.jpg

No further words are exchanged as Jung is marched out of the dungeon.

XnaO4v3.jpg

Vanmilion [opening the cell]: I apologize for all you've had to endure.

Larentia: Lord Reese, what's going on...?

Vanmilion: As his reward for being made a Knight Lord, Lord Reese asked for your release.

Larentia: You did...?!

GRmSFYy.jpg

Reese: I am sorry that I was unable to keep my word to you until now. Please forgive me.

Larentia: Lord Reese...!

NgfoaTN.jpg

Not bad for a promotion scene. I can't help but think getting Jung arrested was actually a cynical action by Reese to silence him, since he didn't need to pay the bribes any more. The usual courtroom politics and bickering aside, Volcens has had to acknowledge Reese's reputation and accomplishments, even if he is more interested in saving face. We haven't learned much more about Larentia yet, but rest assured that will be revealed in due course. For now, she's permanently joined the Sinon Knights.

Last edited:

boot

Prophet
I started a completionist playthrough after reading this fine lp.

Kept restarting after chapter5 main mission, but my latest attempt is pretty good. Worst mistake I made was giving Rose one of the first Sinon horses, didn't know mercs couldn't swap horses

Great game

boot

Prophet
Ruby.

Most difficult thing seems to be raising weapon levels, anyway. I'll probably be using Adel every map until the very end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom