Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
xD1Aia1.jpg

spectre

Arcane
Nobody plays rdw in historic, GR seems to be much better overall (though it also uses Cleave, so trigger warning for your vietnam flashbacks). Although I've seen a recent article on it on channelfrajerball, so fully I expect to bump into a few.

For Bo1 standard, as long as the pieces are there, people will play it as the go-to grind deck. Funny thing, it's exploitable as fuck, I just did two 7:0 standard events with anti-aggro Fires (only met 3 RDWs each run, which was a bit of a shocker, I remember where you could play more than seven of those).

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I made an anti aggro fires deck too, but yeah, game only matches me against counterspell decks or something. :(

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Alright this one I just made is sick - Historic clover tap'n'mill

Deck
4 Lucky Clover (ELD) 226
4 Queen of Ice (ELD) 61
2 Mystic Sanctuary (ELD) 247
4 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
2 Fae of Wishes (ELD) 44
4 Leyline of Anticipation (M20) 64
4 Unsummon (M20) 78
2 Run Away Together (ELD) 62
1 River's Rebuke (XLN) 71
3 Verity Circle (RNA) 58
4 Sleep (M19) 74
4 Icy Manipulator (DAR) 219
20 Island (THB) 251
2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242

Sideboard
2 River's Rebuke (XLN) 71
1 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries (WAR) 54
2 Clear the Mind (RNA) 34
2 Mirrormade (ELD) 55
4 Flood of Recollection (RIX) 38
3 Ashiok's Erasure (THB) 43
1 The Immortal Sun (RIX) 180

-----------

Not too far off from being playable in standard either.. Just need to swap out a few things here and there.

Nothing feels better than brazen bouncing opponent's full board when a few clovers are out. Then you can just unsummon him and do it again

so... is new set still happening? Afaik there were no spoilers so far? Or are they going to delay release until I got all the cosmetics and 100k gold for drafts?
Paper release was delayed, digital release isn't. It'll be on April 14th or something, I don't remember when.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I tried to build a deck like that a while back but I could never get it to work. I think the power level is just too low. I keep getting matched against this green elfball deck and by turn 4 or 5 they have a dickload of crap on the board and they're drawing 3-4 cards per turn, it's hard to keep up.

so ive spent a lot of wildcards on this and i lose every game, plz halp
/ourrapist/ Todd Stevens has played decks along those lines, and they usually get their shit pushed in. Fun to fuck around with but not really a gud gitter. He's abandoned ship for Runeterra but this is (I think) the last time he played a deck like that if you want to compare notes. He is playing wh*te though for wipes, but you could probably do tolerably well replacing those wraths with soot. Maybe. I don't play historic. His gameplan seems a little different than yours too, since he's relying on big snakes and Tezzeret zaps rather than going wide and pumping with overseers. His Sais shitting out tokens are more to feed Tezzeret and for chump blockers rather than a wincon I believe.

spectre

Arcane
You can salvage some of it to build a Kethis Kombo Kontraption, though that would be using white, so yeah. All that Glitters is a major power boost for such decks, but I understand that one's a no-go.

You can try and make it more beatdown oriented. Ornithopters will have to go, instead use something like Voltaic Servant (to untap overseers and things), Stonecoil Serpends,
Skilled Animators, Traxos, Scourge of Kroog, maybe Gingerbrute. Add a few Mobilized Districts too., since you should be having enough legendaries.

If you want to have a more controlling approach, you need a few more mana sources (Powerstone Shards maybe? Nyx Lotus if you can provide devotion?) and a few more reset buttons (Rivers Rebuke).
Don't have time to give you a more detailed list right now, but that's what I'd work with.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
it was like 20 rare and mythic wc :negative:
Welcome to my world :( I tried a deck like that in Standard a while back and it sucked. Just when you finally manage to get some creatures out and start pumping them, they do a board wipe.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
All that Glitters is so strong. Even if gets killed, it only needs to be able to attack a couple of times to do major damage or even win.

spectre

Arcane
If the plan's is to make the most out of Steel Overseer, Saheeli, Sublime Artificer is one of the best token generators you can get with low cost artifacts.
Depose // Deploy and Dovin Banana suffer from a bad case it's okay to be white, but I would use them with such an approach. Yeah, all that glitters will make it grow big,
so I would definitely protect it with spell pierces.

For artifact animation route, you also got Animating Faerie. Antiquities War is another great finisher, though you may have thrown enough rares at it.

spectre

Arcane
Here's what threw together in my spare time, maybe it can give you some inspiration:
Deck
4 Emry, Lurker of the Loch (ELD) 43
16 Island (UND) 89
4 Witching Well (ELD) 74
4 Negate (M20) 69
4 Saheeli, Sublime Artificer (WAR) 234
4 Sage of Lat-Nam (DAR) 64
1 Tezzeret, Artifice Master (M19) 79
2 Steel Overseer (M20) 239
4 Mox Amber (DAR) 224
4 Mind Stone (WTH) 153
2 Stonecoil Serpent (ELD) 235
2 The Antiquities War (DAR) 42
4 Animating Faerie (ELD) 38
2 Lonely Sandbar (ONS) 320
3 Zhalfirin Void (DAR) 249
It's not very competitive by any means, but might work as a casual deck - it can produce lulzy boardstates on turn 6 with 10+ 7/7 artifact tokens, which is probably a bit too late for serious play.
That's all Tezerrets, Overseers and Antiquities Wars that I got (would put in more wars if I had them). the UB tezz is a bit shit if you ask me, and Artifice Master is a bit overcosted though it does "draw two cards every turn" pretty much always.
There's some pretty cool combos to do with Mox, Mind Stone, Emry and Pajeetina, didn't have time to seriously figure out Animating Faerie vs. Skilled Animator, but faerie triggers Pajeeti.
Since you have a full set of Overseers, if you're looking to do broken things with them, he really does great work with repeated untap effects. Even with the two that I have, I was able to generate a boatload of counters by copying it with a servo.
Corridor Monitor and Voltaic Servant immediately spring to mind if you want more of this gig, though it's going to be a bit of a dead end if you don't want to use All that Glitters.

Otherwise, you'll have to wait until the cunts decide to finally implement Aether Revolt.

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
flavour is meh but cards are cool
fyi I already tried to build this for omniscience and it's crap
illunaapexofwishes.jpg

I also don't like how there have been a value engine dork for every fucking mechanic in the past few sets and the trend continues
pollywogsymbiote.jpg

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom