Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the matter of min maxxing vs fun

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Before I begin, this thread was not created out of some erratic whim. It appears that some anons have taken insult to my monk builds. Indeed, said individuals, are revolted over the notion of an individual having fun with a class that they so dearly love. Why, said individuals are quite exasperated by monks and the idea of fun - the hubris of it all! So, pray tell, what does this have to do with this specific community?

The idea of fun vs min maxxing is not unique to the mongrels that inhabit /pfg/. Such debates have raged on since time itself. Indeed, if you're not abusing mechanic x y and z, then your build is considered inferior. If you're not exploiting untended bug, or feature of the game, then your build is rubbish. Or perhaps even, the most baboon form of thinking; if you're not squeezing that small 0.5 incremental damage, that is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, then your build is considered unoptimal.

We've all had fun and creative ideas for a good build. Only to realize said build isn't as good in game. So we proceed to a public forum and ask for advice from experienced players, on how to make the build work. Only to have some mutated fetus of a man, that should have been aborted during early pregnancy. Vomit out refuse on how we're idiots, or how said build is lame, or how we should ditch that idea completely. This form of nethanderal rational stifles both creativity and fun, and leads to the worst offense known. Min maxxing for the sake of min maxxing. Where fun ends and nonsensical begins. This very manifestation is what devours build making circles, and leads to uncivilized discourse.

I've always based myself on one single metric when evaluating a build's peformance - can I beat the game with this build? If I can, then said build is fine. If I can't, then I revise and figure out how to make the build work in a matter that is both fun and appealing to me. We often forgot that people play games for fun.

Last edited:

elostrim

Novice
I've been lurking Codex for years as well as /pfkm/ - /pfg/. The anon in question was indeed rude, but you've missed the points of his posts due to his unnecessary aggression. The main issue he took with your builds is that you claim to playtest them for "10-30 hours", but you miss pretty important things that can help the build a lot because you assume their broken mechanics, or that they simply don't work, when they in fact do. I agree with you that there is a balance point between no fun allowed and min maxing, but still getting the job done, but this thread wasn't necessary.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This form of nethanderal rational stifles both creativity and fun
But why? Why peer pressure means so much for you or for other people with "feelings"?

Now, I do understand peer pressure in the form of permaban on a forum or incarceration IRL. Other than that - why should it affect you in the slightest? It's not like those critics can hire Putin's "tourists" so your door knob will be coated in Novichok.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
This form of nethanderal rational stifles both creativity and fun
But why? Why peer pressure means so much for you or for other people with "feelings"?

Now, I do understand peer pressure in the form of permaban on a forum or incarceration IRL. Other than that - why should it affect you in the slightest? It's not like those critics can hire Putin's "tourists" so your door knob will be coated in Novichok.
When one starts a discussion, it's often times to gather opinions. Or to discuss the matter with other members of society. Perhaps, even, to start a dialogue on an issue; that is important to the self. I believe this issue is important to me, I believe this issue deserves its own thread. Hence why I started this thread. This isn't about "feelings" being hurt, nor is it about peer pressure. This is about min maxxing vs fun.

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
Who dafuq cares about anons?

I prefer fun builds in my rpgs, because most of times the games are already too easy to min-max, in a sense that the joy derives from the challenge, novelty and experimenting.

But, I think it's legit to know what a power building is more like to understand the mechanics of the game to use it in the direction you want.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Sure. I don't know if you had to write this like some kind of 4chan melodrama, but I agree.

Minmaxing is one path to having fun, not an end in itself.

Silly Germans

Before I begin, this thread was not created out of some erratic whim. It appears that some anons have taken insult to my monk builds. Indeed, said individuals, are revolted over the notion of an individual having fun with a class that they so dearly love. Why, said individuals are quite exasperated by monks and the idea of fun - the hubris of it all! So, pray tell, what does this have to do with this specific community?

The idea of fun vs min maxxing is not unique to the mongrels that inhabit /pfg/. Such debates have raged on since time itself. Indeed, if you're not abusing mechanic x y and z, then your build is considered inferior. If you're not exploiting untended bug, or feature of the game, then your build is rubbish. Or perhaps even, the most baboon form of thinking; if you're not squeezing that small 0.5 incremental damage, that is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, then you're build is considered unoptimal.

We've all had fun and creative ideas for a good build. Only to realize said build isn't as good in game. So we proceed to a public forum and ask for advice from experienced players, on how to make the build work. Only to have some mutated fetus of a man, that should have been aborted during early pregnancy. Vomit out refuse on how we're idiots, or how said build is lame, or how even we should ditch that idea completely. This form of nethanderal rational stifles both creativity and fun, and leads to the worst offense known. Min maxxing for the sake of min maxxing. Where fun ends and nonsensical begins. This very manifestation is what devours build making circles, and leads to uncivilized discourse.

I've always based myself on one single metric when evaluating a build's peformance - can I beat the game with this build? If I can, then said build is fine. If I can't, then I revise and figure out how to make the build work in a matter that is both fun and appealing to me. We often forgot that people play games for fun.

So an optimization with constraints is more fun than an unconstrained optimization problem ?
Lagrange multipliers here we go !

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Sure. I don't know if you had to write this like some kind of 4chan melodrama, but I agree.

Minmaxing is one path to having fun, not an end in itself.
>I don't know if you had to write this like some kind of 4chan melodrama
That was a factor that lead to the creation of this thread, yes, but it wasn't the main cause.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I've been lurking Codex for years as well as /pfkm/ - /pfg/. The anon in question was indeed rude, but you've missed the points of his posts due to his unnecessary aggression. The main issue he took with your builds is that you claim to playtest them for "10-30 hours", but you miss pretty important things that can help the build a lot because you assume their broken mechanics, or that they simply don't work, when they in fact do. I agree with you that there is a balance point between no fun allowed and min maxing, but still getting the job done, but this thread wasn't necessary.
Well, regardless, thanks for explaining it to me. I wasn't all that calm minded when speaking to him. I agree. I should have ignored his aggression and focused on his points. It's not often I get angry, but what happened, has happened.

>but this thread wasn't necessary
Ah well, too late to pull back now.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem with min-maxxing in general is that it lessens fun by dampening variety and replayability. In P:K it's even worse in that the most notorious min-maxxers both bully new players and completely miss how P:K subverts the tiresome MMO-inspired ideas about what approaches are in fact maximally effective.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Everyone is willing to sacrifice power for style, to some extent. Playing the game, testing ideas, getting a feel for its controls and so on is just a means of knowing how far you can or are willing to go. All min maxing can tell you is that an auto attack bot with 50 buffs can kill anything in two turns. Who cares, lmao.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
What games are you even talking about OP? Because most games aren't deep enough to even have 'builds'. And most single player games aren't hard enough to even bother with it. If the game is fun and challenging then I'll try to build my characters as tough as I can make them. I did that in TOEE and I was grateful for it on that last battle which was brutal.

aposedlook

Barely Literate
I find it rather hypocritical that your thread hones in on decrying behavior that "leads to uncivilized discourse" when this is how you respond to criticism of your build:

You absolute cock sucker. Faggots like you are the cancer that devours the build making communities. From Baldur's Gate 2 to fucking NWN 2. You cock suckers don't help new players, nor do you publish any builds of worth. You always sit back and criticize others, and laugh. How about you publish your retarded monk build, so I can insult you. You crustacean. You make me sick, both internally and externally. I have never laid my eyes on such an individual that made me cringe as hard as you have. God damned baboon. Ship yourself back to Africa, your very presence is affront to the rest of us civilized folks.
>Top kek. I don't care how or what you play, man. Just don't call it "testing" when you're clearly just dicking around to make a post on forums.
No dipshit, I tested the builds. They work. If that concept doesn't seem to work for you, then you can drown yourself in a pool of acid. Then promptly swallow a gallon of bleach, then proceed to vomit, till your guts implode.
>inb4 hurr durr but it doesn;t do enough damage
>your not abusing mechanic x y and z
Your presence disgusts me. This is my last (you) to you. Kill yourself, and save your mother the shame of having birthed you.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Max-maxing and playing in story mode with cheat codes and second hand info is not fun. Min-maxing, playing in max difficulty using bugs you found yourself and cheesing as much as possible is fun.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nobody in the real world cares about min-maxing. The only people who do care about that stuff are the kind of degenerates that frequent online communities related to videogames and, I think we can all agree, they can barely be considered "people".

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I enjoy min maxing and pure RP builds; on pfkm my silver draconic sorcerer MC took ZERO fire based spells by RP reasons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom