Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you prefer kingmaker or DOS2?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The irony is that I didn't play BG when it came out because I was a Civ fan who didn't like RTS games. I saw some dude playing Shadows of Amn and thought it was an MMO like Evercrack. I only played them after loving PS:T and its RTwP system and yes, I think, KOTOR around that time. RTwP was part of the whole package and seemed to be of a piece with all the other advances in games at the time. Likewise RTwP was a big part of the excitement of PoE and my enjoyment of it, and DumpsterFire with all its flaws.

I've simultaneously (heh) enjoyed some TB-based games in that time as well. Currently doing Divinity Unleashed 6-man Tactician. Would have loved to do D:OS I/II with RTwP - that would have been a blast. Also a good bit of GuilWars/LotRO. Could be decent RTwP market for retired MMOers.

Phinx

Augur
Kingmaker has it's fault, but at least it isn't a massive turd that climax's upon seeing barrels, and also likes to pretend that it's master tactician meteorologist.
That is only because they are using an already established system that has been refined and playtested for 10-20 years now. When Owlcat comes up with a wholly new system, then we can talk.

Larian will be using an established system for their next game (BG3).

- Potion/shove and attack in the same turn
- Rogue's not having reactive abilities
- Changing turn-based mechanics to team-based
- Max party of 4
- Max level of 10

You can argue all you want that typical tabletop campaigns are usually for parties that go to level 10. But considering how many rules they've already broken, it's obvious they aren't aiming to create an accurate rendition of DND 5e rules. I wouldn't be surprised if they capped off summon limits to 1 like DOS. You'll get to see the difference between Owlcat using an established system vs Larian using one for yourself.

BG3 won't even have anywhere close to P: KM's build options, let alone it's sequel, because it's obvious already that Larian will be streamlining the hell out of the game. They'll add some interesting usages for abilities in combat, and simplify as many things as they deem necessary.

Cael

Arcane
Kingmaker has it's fault, but at least it isn't a massive turd that climax's upon seeing barrels, and also likes to pretend that it's master tactician meteorologist.
That is only because they are using an already established system that has been refined and playtested for 10-20 years now. When Owlcat comes up with a wholly new system, then we can talk.

- Max party of 4
- Max level of 10

You can argue all you want that typical tabletop campaigns are usually for parties that go to level 10. But considering how many rules they've already broken, it's obvious they aren't aiming to create an accurate rendition of DND 5e rules. I wouldn't be surprised if they capped off summon limits to 1 like DOS. You'll get to see the difference between Owlcat using an established system vs Larian using one for yourself.

BG3 won't even have anywhere close to P: KM's build options, let alone it's sequel, because it's obvious already that Larian will be streamlining the hell out of the game. They'll add some interesting usages for abilities in combat, and simplify as many things as they deem necessary.
5e is not DnD. It is a reskinned WoW on paper. So, yes, it will be shit whichever way you look at it.

And 5e hasn't been playtested.

Phinx

Augur

- Max party of 4
- Max level of 10

5e is not DnD. It is a reskinned WoW on paper. So, yes, it will be shit whichever way you look at it.

And 5e hasn't been playtested.

Exactly why Larian chose 5e.
gvQsG1u.png

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't really find one to be better than the other.

Turn-based is inclined but D:OS is sort of like the McMansion of turn-based combat -- superficially imposing, but supported with unskillful architecture and cheap materials.

RtwP is mostly declined but PF:KM has solid systems and character development that are fun to use and develop through the decline -- it's not a mansion, but it is made with skillful architecture and expensive materials.

In the long run, the McMansion is a huge liability and the crafted house is a better investment overall.

On the other hand, D:OS has more elaborate environments to explore (beside a flat plane with optional areas gated behind skill checks) and superior physics for interacting with these environments.

Larian did good at the things they cared about and Owlcat did good at the things they cared about.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't really find one to be better than the other.

Turn-based is inclined but D:OS is sort of like the McMansion of turn-based combat -- superficially imposing, but supported with unskillful architecture and cheap materials.

RtwP is mostly declined but PF:KM has solid systems and character development that are fun to use and develop through the decline -- it's not a mansion, but it is made with skillful architecture and expensive materials.

In the long run, the McMansion is a huge liability and the crafted house is a better investment overall.

On the other hand, D:OS has more elaborate environments to explore (beside a flat plane with optional areas gated behind skill checks) and superior physics for interacting with these environments.

Larian did good at the things they cared about and Owlcat did good at the things they cared about.

Best comment yet.

The heat has burned itself out leaving light alone. The usual adversarial climb toward the unexpected truth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom