Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
WTF is wrong with you?
I have more joy in my life than you. :shittydog:
I don't believe you. I actually think my life has an incredible amount of joy. I just don't trust that it will last, so I refuse to get caught up in it. Now tell me about your wellspring of joy.

Metronome

Learned
I've only really watched let's plays of these, but here's my list anyway:

Ultima Underworld
The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Underworld Ascendant
World of Warcraft
Fallout 3
Diablo III
Disco Elysium
Life is Strange
Undertale
Oblivion

And those are still pretty shitty when compared to the average JRPG.

Incendax

Augur
I don't believe you. I actually think my life has an incredible amount of joy. I just don't trust that it will last, so I refuse to get caught up in it. Now tell me about your wellspring of joy.
Sure! If we spend the same amount of time playing something and you hate it, while I like it, then I had more fun than you. Having bad taste is an advantage in this industry.
:mixedemotions:

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer

Ultima Underworld
Underworld Ascendant
World of Warcraft
Fallout 3
Diablo III
Disco Elysium
Life is Strange
Undertale
Oblivion

Nostalgia goggles much?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Ultima Underworld
Underworld Ascendant
World of Warcraft
Fallout 3
Diablo III
Disco Elysium
Life is Strange
Undertale
Oblivion

Is that a joke wtf?

Vatnik Wumao

Ultima Underworld
Underworld Ascendant
World of Warcraft
Fallout 3
Diablo III
Disco Elysium
Life is Strange
Undertale
Oblivion

Is that a joke wtf?
With that mention of Life is Strange, I certainly hope so.

Squid

Arbiter
No one has mentioned Fallout 4 yet? How? It's obviously the pinnacle of what we will get from Fallout so far. I can only imagine how good Fallout 5 will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Replayed PS:T after a long time.
It's a masterpiece. When a combatfag brainlet such as myself can appreciate it, you know it's good, especially when the game's combat feels like a last minute addition they decided to include.
Falls apart at Curst though, then picks up at Pillar of Skulls.
The move from go after Ravel to Trias to Transcendent One is jarring. Which, wouldn't you know it, happens right around Curst. I'm guessing budget/time constraints?
A more logical choice of primary antagonist would have been Lady of Pain.
Still, Morte and Dakkon are probably the greatest companions of any I've seen, in fact they put most others to shame (Go for the eyes Boo!) and TNO is incredibly well written. As you get to know his previous incarnations you really start to hate him.
And you could write volumes and tomes on the setting itself.
Certainly the best written game I've ever played, and one I'd consider to be objectively a masterpiece.
inb4 that's subjective bruh

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
A more logical choice of primary antagonist would have been Lady of Pain.
The Lady of Pain exists as a symbol of the campaign setting and, in extremis, as a means to preserve Sigil against threats, whether external or internal, but is not an NPC that can be interacted with in any meaningful fashion:

"Bluntly put, as far as a PLANESCAPE campaign's concerned, the Lady of Pain's little more than an icon that crystallizes the mood of the campaign setting. Player characters should never deal with her. She doesn't give out missions, she never grants powers to anyone, and they can't rob her temples because she hasn't got any. If she ever does make an appearance, it should be simply to reinforce the wonder and mystery of the whole place.

On the other hand, the Lady of Pain, just by being there, makes all things possible. She's the one who gets the credit for several effects that make Sigil (and the entire PLANESCAPE campaign setting) what it is. She's the one who makes Sigil safe for characters of all experience levels. She's the one who blocks the powers from Sigil. She's the one whose influence prevents gate spells from working and shields Sigil from the Astral Plane. She's the one who creates the Mazes that trap Sigil's would-be conquerors."
- Planescape Campaign Setting Box Set, 1994

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I like how PS:T breaks down and throw these at the storyfags:

megamob.jpg

Other pics from my updated retrospective:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I like how PS:T breaks down and throw these at the storyfags:
What about them? Just send Morte. Or you could just run past them if you are that kind of loser.

Yeah. The second part of Planescape: Torment is kind of combat heavy, but most of it is very easy. I remember only one particularly difficult battle, with some big ass demon in Curst, who had tons of hp and hit like a truck. Other than that it was a stroll. My wizard TNO went through Fortress of Regrets killing all the baddies in melee. I didn't even have to use magic.

Last edited:

Ryan muller

Educated
A masterpiece?

For western devs
Closest thing would be Kotor 1, but still not quite there

Cant give it to fo2 due to its big ammount of flaws even tho its quite close either

I love ultima underworld but its closer to a 7/10 rather than an outright masterpiece

Fo1 is good, but it doesnt come close to masterpiece levels, Deus ex is ok altought highly overrated in comparison to HR

Etc...

For japanese devs only game deserving the title of "masterpiece" is Chrono trigger. Mother 3 and suikoden 2 are close contenders but not quite there

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't think there's been an RPG masterpiece. The best RPGs are great in spite of obvious problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom