Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Tim the Bore

Scholar
Spengler was one of the most primitive and misguided philosphers in the history of western thinkers. His system is based on countless contradictions, so much in fact, that even he admitted that (in the introduction to the second edition of "Der Untergang..."). The examples he used to illustrate his opinions were so wrong, he become laughing stock for everyone, who has ever seen his works. Did you actually read his books, beyond "Der Untergang..."? In "Der Mensch und die Technik" he claims that carnivores have eyes only in front of the face - while herbivorous on the sides, no exception - and because of that they only hunt in solitude. Apparently he never heard of wolves. In "Politische Pflichten..." he claims that all art should be abandoned, once and for all, because it's imposiible to create more. So according to his views even you presence here is a mistake.

Going back to "Der Untergang...", did you ever managed to understood what he meant about meaning of Wachsein and Dasein? Probably not much and you know why? Because even he couldn't do it. He wasn't the first nor the last to wrote something about the crisis of the West, he was just the loudest and most obnoxious about that. He was the one who criticized others for being to europocentric and he was the one who claimed that "muh Faustian culture" - West - was special among the others (and German nation was special among faustians) for being the only carnivorous culture that understood the meaning of "space".
Also, using his logic, majority of folks here on Codex are unable to appreciate games like, say, Pathfinder: Kingmaker or any other non-american game - because they came from different culture. In fact, enjoying this game - or even, worse, being inspired by it - would be seen as a giant mistake: you would create pseudomorphosis.
Ffs, so many smarter thinkers were forgotten by the history, and, of course, the dumbest one prevail.

So maybe instead of posting this charlatan you should actually try to be smarter than you are.

The thing with Spengler is like the thing with Freud. Freud was a charlatan, but his books are still worth reading, a) because he's a good writer, and b) because sometimes he points to deep things that aren't yet within the orbit of scientific understanding but are nevertheless real, and have to be coped with somehow.

If you think about where Freud got his stuff from, well it's mainly from the literary tradition. And the literary tradition is about noticing and savouring subtleties of human behaviour that haven't been codified, but are nevertheless real. Or again, it's like music - some of the emotions music elicits have no name, they maybe come around once in a blue moon, yet they're still solid "things" of some sort. Or like lovemaking, where the gestures and touches have an infinite range of subtlety and an unknown vocabulary of their own. There are lots of examples in life where our understanding is lacking, yet we have an intuitive sense - and we must have an intuitive sense, we have to stake our claim somewhere, because there's a truth of the matter out there, even if we haven't yet grasped it fully in conceptual terms.

So I think Spengler is like that, often wrong in details, but worth reading for a big picture take (which is necessarily going to have some details wonky).

Oh, I agree. Reading his works is a great source of information - just the sheer size of his popularty is already enough to pay attention to him. He was really good at expressing fears and worries of europeans - not even through the content of his works, but through the form itself. His main argument - that West is changing from creative culture to sterile civilisation - is persuasive and graphic as fuck. He clearly hit a sensitive spot. From historic point of view it's really worthwhile to know his stuff (that said, Spengler wasn't particularly original - he mostly combined views of others philosphers, mostly Nietzsche and Dilthey, though I guess you could say that he was the first one to do it in such a spectacular fashion. And my god, he wasn't a good writer, reading him is a road through hell. Very persuasive hell though).

But to actually consider him to be a worthwhile as a thinker and trying to apply his ideas in practice - that is absurd and that is what I was against.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Spengler was one of the most primitive and misguided philosphers in the history of western thinkers. His system is based on countless contradictions, so much in fact, that even he admitted that (in the introduction to the second edition of "Der Untergang..."). The examples he used to illustrate his opinions were so wrong, he become laughing stock for everyone, who has ever seen his works. Did you actually read his books, beyond "Der Untergang..."? In "Der Mensch und die Technik" he claims that carnivores have eyes only in front of the face - while herbivorous on the sides, no exception - and because of that they only hunt in solitude. Apparently he never heard of wolves. In "Politische Pflichten..." he claims that all art should be abandoned, once and for all, because it's imposiible to create more. So according to his views even you presence here is a mistake.

Going back to "Der Untergang...", did you ever managed to understood what he meant about meaning of Wachsein and Dasein? Probably not much and you know why? Because even he couldn't do it. He wasn't the first nor the last to wrote something about the crisis of the West, he was just the loudest and most obnoxious about that. He was the one who criticized others for being to europocentric and he was the one who claimed that "muh Faustian culture" - West - was special among the others (and German nation was special among faustians) for being the only carnivorous culture that understood the meaning of "space".
Also, using his logic, majority of folks here on Codex are unable to appreciate games like, say, Pathfinder: Kingmaker or any other non-american game - because they came from different culture. In fact, enjoying this game - or even, worse, being inspired by it - would be seen as a giant mistake: you would create pseudomorphosis.
Ffs, so many smarter thinkers were forgotten by the history, and, of course, the dumbest one prevail.

So maybe instead of posting this charlatan you should actually try to be smarter than you are.

The thing with Spengler is like the thing with Freud. Freud was a charlatan, but his books are still worth reading, a) because he's a good writer, and b) because sometimes he points to deep things that aren't yet within the orbit of scientific understanding but are nevertheless real, and have to be coped with somehow.

If you think about where Freud got his stuff from, well it's mainly from the literary tradition. And the literary tradition is about noticing and savouring subtleties of human behaviour that haven't been codified, but are nevertheless real. Or again, it's like music - some of the emotions music elicits have no name, they maybe come around once in a blue moon, yet they're still solid "things" of some sort. Or like lovemaking, where the gestures and touches have an infinite range of subtlety and an unknown vocabulary of their own. There are lots of examples in life where our understanding is lacking, yet we have an intuitive sense - and we must have an intuitive sense, we have to stake our claim somewhere, because there's a truth of the matter out there, even if we haven't yet grasped it fully in conceptual terms.

So I think Spengler is like that, often wrong in details, but worth reading for a big picture take (which is necessarily going to have some details wonky).

Oh, I agree. Reading his works is a great source of information - just the sheer size of his popularty is already enough to pay attention to him. He was really good at expressing fears and worries of europeans - not even through the contents of his works, but through the form itself. He's main argument - that West is changing from creative culture to sterile civilisation - is persuasive and graphic as fuck. He clearly hit a sensitive spot. From historic point of view it's really worthwhile to know his stuff (that said, Spengler wasn't particularly original - he mostly combined views of others philosphers, mostly Nietzsche and Dilthey, though I guess you could say that he was the first one to do it in such a spectacular fashion. And my god, he wasn't a good writer, reading him is a road through hell. Very persuasive hell though).

But to actually consider him to be a worthwhile as a thinker and trying to apply his ideas in practice - that is absurd and that is what I was against.

I'm personally of the opinion that there's life left in the old dog (the West) yet. We're not done yet. But yeah, I think if you want to have a more up-to-date assessment of what it means to be European, White, etc., you're talking about contemporaries like Duchesne, Kevin MacDonald (who recently tied up a bunch of research into our ancestral past, along with genetics, evolutionary psychology, etc., to get a snapshot of the general European psyche and its roots). And there is something there that's a bit like Spengler's "Faustian" contention. The exploratory spirit, seeking new horizons to conquer (sometimes literally) is definitely part of us; so is an allegiance to truth (in testimony particularly, i.e. one's word) above all; so is a particular blend of collectivist and individualistic ideals (think of the Social Democracy of the Nordic countries - fundamentally capitalistic, but with a strong emphasis on collective action to ameliorate the condition of the less well-off, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 22431

I remember being excited for Outer Worlds cause I heard Cain and Boyarsky were working on it.
Since Troika, both produced nothing but trash.

Then I saw that pic of Cain with his retarded no numbers, geometry based stats.
He said that the first Fallouts are too complicated and should be streamlined. Sellout.

I'm just surprised you guys rated it so highly on the 2019 GOTY poll.
And I'm surprised you still think that the Codex GOTY is a reliable indicator of quality.

Slaver1

Savant
The cutest character was designed by a spiteful SJW for the explicit purpose of cucking the male player-base. You can say a lot about this moribund husk of a videogame but that should be enough.

Deleted Member 22431

The cutest character was designed by a spiteful SJW for the explicit purpose of cucking the male player-base. You can say a lot about this moribund husk of a videogame but that should be enough.
They literally hate their target audience and yet players still defend them and buy their games.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Waiting for the SJWs to freak out and suppress dumb mode in some misguided effort to "protect" mentally retarded people.

Even the term 'mentally retarded' is now off limits for the SJWs. It is now officially called 'intellectual disability'.

Wonder where I found out? Out of curiosity, I clicked through the job openings at Activision Blizzard. :D

I had to wade through several pages about gender bullshit, race bullshit, veteran status bullshit, disability bullshit etc. before their questionnaire asked me what I can actually do. FFS.
People who are competent enough to actually get accepted would realize they don't really want to work there halfway through wading through this crap.

Deleted Member 22431

Even the term 'mentally retarded' is now off limits for the SJWs. It is now officially called 'intellectual disability'.

Wonder where I found out? Out of curiosity, I clicked through the job openings at Activision Blizzard. :D

I had to wade through several pages about gender bullshit, race bullshit, veteran status bullshit, disability bullshit etc. before their questionnaire asked me what I can actually do. FFS.
People who are competent enough to actually get accepted would realize they don't really want to work there halfway through wading through this crap.
The existence of SJWs is predicting on combating the perceived injustices of society.

If the perceived injustices diminish or vanish, they need to find new sources of bias and prejudice in order to keep the interest alive in the narrative.

That’s why they are always pushing the envelope.

The irony is that this is all make-believe discourse to come across as morally superior in the internets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
There are plenty of games there that are not cRPGs by any stretch of the imagination.
I'd say Codex GOTY 2019 list is a pretty reliable indicator of quality.
There are plenty of games there that are not cRPGs by any stretch of the imagination.
Quality and Genre Purity are a two different measures. And I was talking only about quality.
Imho, with Deus Ex #6, Jagged Alliance 2 #14 and System Shock 2 #23 at all-time RPG list arguing about Genre Purity in GOTY 2019 is pointless.

Won't change the fact that 50,8% of 472 voters who played TOW ended up hating or just disliking it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This date might coincide with a DLC announcement: https://outerworlds.obsidian.net/en...s-to-launch-on-nintendo-switch-on-june-5-2020

THE OUTER WORLDS TO LAUNCH ON NINTENDO SWITCH ON JUNE 5, 2020

Greetings employees of Halcyon,

We wanted to share an exciting update that we plan on launching The Outer Worlds for the Nintendo Switch on June 5th, 2020. As we prepare for another arrival of new colonists, we have some very important information for those making this journey, specifically for you colonists who prefer your goods in physical form: The retail version The Outer Worlds comes on a physical cartridge, and it will be accompanied by a day one patch that could be up to 6 GB. This patch will optimize gameplay, provide additional hi-res textures, and include other fixes to provide the employees of Halcyon with the best gameplay experience. Please ensure you have planned accordingly and have available space necessary for the patch.

The Outer Worlds for Nintendo Switch will retail for $59.99 digitally and physically. We appreciate your dedication to the Board. And remember: it’s not the best choice, it’s Spacer’s Choice!

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
This date might coincide with a DLC announcement: https://outerworlds.obsidian.net/en...s-to-launch-on-nintendo-switch-on-june-5-2020

THE OUTER WORLDS TO LAUNCH ON NINTENDO SWITCH ON JUNE 5, 2020

Greetings employees of Halcyon,

We wanted to share an exciting update that we plan on launching The Outer Worlds for the Nintendo Switch on June 5th, 2020. As we prepare for another arrival of new colonists, we have some very important information for those making this journey, specifically for you colonists who prefer your goods in physical form: The retail version The Outer Worlds comes on a physical cartridge, and it will be accompanied by a day one patch that could be up to 6 GB. This patch will optimize gameplay, provide additional hi-res textures, and include other fixes to provide the employees of Halcyon with the best gameplay experience. Please ensure you have planned accordingly and have available space necessary for the patch.

The Outer Worlds for Nintendo Switch will retail for $59.99 digitally and physically. We appreciate your dedication to the Board. And remember: it’s not the best choice, it’s Spacer’s Choice!

Cool :M

Deleted Member 22431

Quality and Genre Purity are a two different measures. And I was talking only about quality. Won't change the fact that 50,8% of 472 voters who played TOW ended up hating or just disliking it.
Imagine you have to vote in a selection of the best classical music in the past year but among the songs there all sorts of things, like rap and pop music. Would you say that this is irrelevant? Of course not. You would accuse the person who made the thing of being confused about the basics of the subject. If the person doesn’t understand the basics, the criteria is questionable and the whole poll is an exercise in futility and confusion. But hey, don't let my purism affect people’s attempts to make the category of cRPGs meaningless.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Quality and Genre Purity are a two different measures. And I was talking only about quality. Won't change the fact that 50,8% of 472 voters who played TOW ended up hating or just disliking it.
Imagine you have to vote in a selection of the best classical music in the past year but among the songs there all sorts of things, like rap and pop music. Would you say that this is irrelevant? Of course not. You would accuse the person who made the thing of being confused about the basics of the subject. If the person doesn’t understand the basics, the criteria is questionable and the whole poll is an exercise in futility and confusion. But hey, don't let my purism affect people’s attempts to make the category of cRPGs meaningless.

Funny example you have chosen - because one of narrower definitions for Classical music is being produced in Classical period, between 1750 to 1820, and everything that came after could never qualify. So any "vote for best in last several years" thing is exercise in futility, with any criteria.

Similar to some people around here it would seem, who choose some random cut-off date (usually when last favorite game of their childhood came out) and games released after could never be good, better or true enough RPG to stand on the same shelf with (your personal) Classics.
Would your purism be satisfied if we call everything from 1995+ neoCRPG? I think it would be a good cut-off, first widely accessible games (and PCs) came with Windows 95, so even Fallout is a light years away in concept and execution from pure historical CRPG genre.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Here's a more accurate assessment: The women in The Outer Worlds are often no-nonsense and hypercompetent underlings, while the men are more soulful and genuine, for good or for ill. The men are more likely to be silly or deluded but they're also more likely to be inspirational leaders and thinkers.

You can call this woke, but to some extent it's also a reflection of real life trends.
You can't be fucking serious.

It's a common observation, made by people such as Tucker Carlson, that in the 21st century West women increasingly "have their shit together" more than men. They goof off less, they're more likely to earn a university degree, they seem more well-adapted to succeeding in bureaucratic structures where the most important thing is to follow instructions and get along to go along. Think of the stereotype of the corporate HR lady.

Not everything you see in a video game made by people from California is there to piss you off. Sometimes it's just the writers writing what they know.
Goof off less could also be interpreted as: humorless killjoys who drain all the fun out of a workplace. You know what they say about all work and no play? This is just the most vague, meaningless statement to make, and it's got very little to do with actual competence/productivity. Like a bunch of guys who spend all day telling each other lewd jokes and farting in each other's faces could easily be very talented coders and produce amazing programs, while a bunch of humorless wankers who never 'goof off' could easily produce utter garbage. Sure, they're productive, but competent? That's got nothing to do with how much you goof off. Give me a fucking break.

More likely to earn a university degree: are you for real right now? You're not this dumb. You know this statistic is meaningless. Women obviously prefer degrees in fields like Sociology, Nursing and so on, that doesn't make them more competent than men, a fucking trained donkey could complete some of these 'degrees'.

Well-adapted to succeeding in bureaucratic structures where the most important thing is to follow instructions and get along to go along: so they make great mindless worker drones? And men don't? This could be a negative just as easily as a positive, and you present zero evidence for it. One could easily make the assertion that thinking outside the box is an important part of succeeding in corporate structures, while being an obedient worker drone is a great way to remain saddled with the same job for the rest of your life.

It's much more likely that women are succeeding in bureaucratic structures because those structures are bending over backwards to hire them and put them on fast-tracks to executive positions in order to please the increasingly unending political pushes for 'equality' from powerful 'women's rights' lobbying groups.

But I'm sure that's all in my head, women are just more competent than men, yep that's definitely it. Good grief.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

LoL even the dumb retards like this dude think of the game as mediocre shit. Also that guy is really dumb lol,he spends 10 minutes sperging about his health shit that nobody cares about,then says that the writing is good and funny....then goes on shitting on witcher 3 because he could follow a conversation and at the moment is calling tyranny genius lol nigga,that is full on retard that haven't read a single book in their life buahahahahahahaha.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
More likely to earn a university degree: are you for real right now? You're not this dumb. You know this statistic is meaningless. Women obviously prefer degrees in fields like Sociology, Nursing and so on, that doesn't make them more competent than men, a fucking trained donkey could complete some of these 'degrees'.

Putting aside the red pill stuff, Sociology is a shit degree in bullshitting (I know, I have one) but Nursing degrees take a good amount of effort. My wife's a nurse and those A&P classes were no joke, and the clinicals were running her ragged. Also men get a ton of degrees in bullshitting too, like most business and management shit. College itself is mostly a joke across the board, let's be honest. Stuff like nursing is actually in the handful of degrees that teach you actual, real skills.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This could be a negative just as easily as a positive

5a0d7bbd399ece2a70ade234abb11e96.jpg

That's exactly the point I was trying to make.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

LoL even the dumb retards like this dude think of the game as mediocre shit. Also that guy is really dumb lol,he spends 10 minutes sperging about his health shit that nobody cares about,then says that the writing is good and funny....then goes on shitting on witcher 3 because he could follow a conversation and at the moment is calling tyranny genius lol nigga,that is full on retard that haven't read a single book in their life buahahahahahahaha.

Didn't he bitch about Pathfinder: Kingmaker because it had will'o'wisps, which causes electrical damage, and he was too fucking retarded to use protection against electricity spell/scrolls?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Didn't he bitch about Pathfinder: Kingmaker because it had will'o'wisps, which causes electrical damage, and he was too fucking retarded to use protection against electricity spell/scrolls?

Ahhh i remember something similar,it is very possible,i mean,he is pretty dumb bastard. He was going on about how old fallout games are great because combat was hard or some similar shit. Also watching him plat feels like watching 80 year old dad that doesn't get modern tech,play fucking doom 2 lol.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Here it is:

Our series on the design of The Outer Worlds comes out in April. Check out this early look and make sure to subscribe to get notified of when they go live.

Five episodes:

#1 - From Concept to Creation
#2 - Writing Companions
#3 - Planets, Towns & Quests
#4 - Character Builds
#5 - Music & FX

I wonder how long they'll be. Noclip's last series, for Supergiant's Hades, had four 40 minute episodes.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom