Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Any armor that looks like armor instead of a bizarre "carnival suit" looks great in RPG's... Doesn't matter if is fantasy armor, armor from ancient rome, from renaissance, medieval period, etc

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It definitely does a lot for the game, like it did for Risen 2. We need more unique settings for RPGs, especially now that they can be made for less money aimed at a niche audience.

I enjoy high medieval fantasy BUT why not explore other worlds? Colonial, steampunk, frostpunk, post nuclear, cyberpunk(...)

OwlCat could make a Starfinder inspired game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I enjoy high medieval fantasy BUT why not explore other worlds? Colonial, steampunk, frostpunk, post nuclear, cyberpunk(...)

OwlCat could make a Starfinder inspired game.

The story has always been that publisher see things outside of traditional fantasy setting as too risky. Maybe with lower budgets we'll see more risk, but then indies don't have money to lose so... who knows.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The story has always been that publisher see things outside of traditional fantasy setting as too risky. Maybe with lower budgets we'll see more risk, but then indies don't have money to lose so... who knows.

Yep. See Pillars of Eternity 2 failure DESPITE PoE1 being a success... I don't expect to see EA/M$ releasing more "unique" themed games.

I like firearms on RPG's, but my problem is that the futuristic ones tends to have firearms that looks more like toys. Except New Vegas. I love gun mechanics on new vegas and weapon visuals. Colonial themed firearms are much better in therms of atmosphere IMO.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yep. See Pillars of Eternity 2 failure DESPITE PoE1 being a success... I don't expect to see EA/M$ releasing more "unique" themed games.

Yeah, I don't know if the pirate theme actually hurt sales or not, but I'm sure Obsidian think it might have and it's another chalk mark on the board saying alternate settings are risky.

I like firearms on RPG's, but my problem is that the futuristic ones tends to have firearms that looks more like toys. Except New Vegas. I love gun mechanics on new vegas and weapon visuals. Colonial themed firearms are much better in therms of atmosphere IMO.

New Vegas's combat is flawed because of the engine but I do love the gun mechanics. Pumping rounds into the cowboy rifle, cocking it and then hitting that crucial long range shot? Lovely. Outer Worlds doesn't really have that, sadly. Pistol shooting is okay.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What i love about New Vegas guns is that most of then looks like improvised guns and it fit the atmosphere of the game and the fact that you can use a lot of underused weapons/ammo in video games. What game allow me to use a .45-70 brush gun to hunt super mutant creatures? And use dragon breath rounds on my shotgun? Explosive ammo on a anti materiel rifle? Use hollow point vs unarmored enemies and switch to AP vs heavily armored because AP is better vs armor? You can even "recharge" your ammo.

Fallout 4 was a huge decline not only as a RPG but as a shooter too. The RPG play is crap and the gun play is crap.

About the Colonial theme, i loved in this game because generally they wither portrait the Spaniards as the villains or as the saviors, Indigenous as the noble, pure nature worshipers or as completely savages. This game threats both sides with shades of grey and i love it. Has some degree of ludonarrative dissonance, like for eg, magical rings and firearms being sold by natives... Why? But the game is amazing despite small flaws. Considering that is a console focused modern game, it is amazing.

JDR13

Arcane
The setting and atmosphere couldn't save this game for me. The amount of backtracking and the overall repetitiveness made it feel like a huge slog by the endgame. I managed to finish it, but I had to force myself through the last quarter of the game. There's no way I would ever replay it.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The setting and atmosphere couldn't save this game for me. The amount of backtracking and the overall repetitiveness made it feel like a huge slog by the endgame. I managed to finish it, but I had to force myself through the last quarter of the game. There's no way I would ever replay it.

For me the middle part of the game was most difficult to endure. I had to put in on hold not once, but twice (for Technomancer, which I consider a superior Spiders' game and for Disco Elysium). Beginning and endgame were ok. Too much was happening to leave place for boredom.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The game suffers from "only number progression" and hence the repetitiveness. What i mean, as a mage you start the game using magic missile and end teh game using magic missile. As a warrior, there are very few differences between a rapier and a hammer in the game. As a gunner, a six barrel handgun and a musket fire in a very similar way. Enemies, most enemies are very similar from one to other. Even the projectile based enemies, lightning boss projectile seems too similar to the first boss projectile.

This is other aspect where old school games are better.

But i don't think that Greedfall is like Inquisition in the repetitiveness aspect.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Where i can find "tierna harh cadachtas"?

I tried everything that i could. Youtube(who helped me with dumb puzzles), steam, google and nothing. Where is this dan thing that i don't know WTF is?

YLD

Novice

Yeah, I don't know if the pirate theme actually hurt sales or not, but I'm sure Obsidian think it might have and it's another chalk mark on the board saying alternate settings are risky.
The explanation is probably much simpler than that. The elephant in the room is that PoE isn't just a regular game, it is explicitely a nostalgia game, intended to fill a void that many people (true or not) felt had been left empty for 15 years.

What typically happens is that many bought it hoping to relive the golden era of their youthful enthusiasm, before realising that they don't really care about that kind of game anymore and alt-tabbing back to Destiny 2.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The explanation is probably much simpler than that. The elephant in the room is that PoE isn't just a regular game, it is explicitely a nostalgia game, intended to fill a void that many people (true or not) felt had been left empty for 15 years.

What typically happens is that many bought it hoping to relive the golden era of their youthful enthusiasm, before realising that they don't really care about that kind of game anymore and alt-tabbing back to Destiny 2.

Yeah, I said I don't think that was a big reason, just that they'll see it as one. Sawyer said they lost the more mainstream folks, not Codex types, and yes I'd guess thinking they wanted that kind of game and then not actually wanting it was a big factor. Divinity OS probably updated just enough to capture more of those people, without turning into Dragon Age Inquisition. My father-in-law was big into shooters back in the Duke and Quake days and I try to peak his interest in stuff like Amid Evil and Ion Fury but he basically says they look too old. He wants a AAA game designed like those games, and it's just not feasible.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
this? I recall having native in my party who made a comment about specific flower and allowed finding it. Or maybe im mixing things

I confunded. The quest that i an talking is "a cure for malichor"

The the "in pursuit of the tierna harh cadachtas"

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Bought this a while back but just like Bannerlord, it hitches like crazy on my system for some reason. Every other game runs fine, pretty much, even much more demanding ones.
Fucks sake...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bought this a while back but just like Bannerlord, it hitches like crazy on my system for some reason. Every other game runs fine, pretty much, even much more demanding ones. Fucks sake...

I don't know if it's been patched but it had a memory leak or something similar at launch which gave a lot of people hitching with the highest texture setting. Putting them down to normal stopped all hitching for me.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

People will short memory like fantadomat like backtracking. They even praise it.

Just got this on sale. I haven't played it yet, but I just wanted to say that I am 100% certain that this will be the best RPG I've ever played and not disappointing in anyway.

You will suffer Wrong_Carlo. Ohh, you will suffer :)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
People will short memory like fantadomat like backtracking. They even praise it.
Stop lying,you butthurt faggit. A year later and you are still throwing fits because some people liked a game that you never played lol. I never said that i like the backtracking or excused it lol.

Here is even a quite from my review,where is say that it is a bad thing. LoL what an old effort petty faggot you are. Sad little cunt you are.

Level design is......good and very bad at the same time. The environments and the cities look great and feel logical and real in way,when it comes down to interiors there is a lot of reused assets,but i don't see it as a problem since a lot of other rpgs use that tactic to save money. We have one set for houses,one for government building and one for the coin guard/tavern building oh and one for tribal huts. Still not a big deal for me,but it is up to you. The bad part of the level design is how much of pointless travelling there is. You spend a lot of time running around,wasting time. The fast travel points/camps are daftly put,either far away from important building,or in pointless places that you will never travel to. The main building like the government and the coin guard do miss such points and thus forcing you to run there every time you have a quest to progress,it is simply retarded! I also noticed that many times there is artificial obstacle that forces you to go around it,thus increasing the travel time. The whole thing could be purposeful,to increase the play time....sad.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-rpg-from-spiders.113394/page-55#post-6309714

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I played for two hours. I find it kind of dull so far. There's tons of run-from-icon-to-icon-and-listen-to-dialog quests. Which would be all well and good, except the writing isn't that good. It's kind of mediocre. The world looks fine, but it's basically just one big square box and it feels dead and empty. I don't like the combat much either. These days I really need good combat and gameplay to propel me through an RPG. This just seems mediocre all around. It reminds me of the "Game of Thrones" RPG, only without the benefit of good writing.

Refunded it.

cruel

Cipher
To make it even more silly, first hours are not that bad compared to the rest of the game.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom