Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mortal Shell - Soulslike action-RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh heh, this is one of the games that Safav Hamon spammed in the upcoming RPGs thread last year: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ole-playing-games.119870/page-22#post-6128743

I think he was right that it was formerly called Dungeonhaven.

https://jobs.gamasutra.com/company/cold-war-game-studios,-inc.-183661

Cold War Game Studios & Black Sky Symmetry began a partership in 2018 to produce a dark fantasy RPG title yet to be formally announced. We're currently seeking talented individuals to join us!

Cold War Game Studios + Black Sky Symmetry = Cold Symmetry

Looks good and the developers are supposedly not complete amateurs. I hope it is not a 5 hours long walking simulator with shitty animations and awful frame rate.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Looks well done visually. Not much else to say until they show us actual gameplay.

JDR13

Arcane
I'm not much into Soulslikes, but I definitely dig the visual style here. If the difficulty is a little more forgiving than Dark Souls, I might actually get this.

cruel

Cipher
Cool trailer. Somebody there really gets how to create nice creepy atmosphere it seems. Fingers crossed it won't be shit, we need more Souls.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Mortal Shell got fans of Dark Souls excited when its announcement trailer was released earlier this year. Now the developers walk us through a gameplay demo and reveal a brand new trailer.

Earlier IGN showed the world a new Mortal Shell game trailer. But this Dev walkthrough of a Mortal Shells gameplay demo shows off a lot of the game’s combat mechanics and strategic swordplay. More than that, this Mortal Shell gameplay trailer highlights it’s souls-like combat mechanics. We hope this demo provided you the deeper look into Mortal Shell gameplay that you were looking for.

The release date for Mortal Shell is still TBA, but stay tuned to IGN for new Mortal Shell trailers and Mortal Shell game updates.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The combat is off: weapons have no weight, mob don't react to direct hits, physics are non-existent.

Visually these guys are competent but the gameplay seems to be a complete clusterfuck designed by mongoloids.

The only good news is that the release date is TBA and maybe, just maybe, they get some real feedback and they act on it.

Otherwise this game is DOA. Nowhere near Lords of the Fallen or The Surge.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The combat is off: weapons have no weight, mob don't react to direct hits, physics are non-existent.

Visually these guys are competent but the gameplay seems to be a complete clusterfuck designed by mongoloids.

The only good news is that the release date is TBA and maybe, just maybe, they get some real feedback and they act on it.

Otherwise this game is DOA. Nowhere near Lords of the Fallen or The Surge.
Mobs sometimes react, sometimes don't, it looks like a bad poise implementation. Even if a mob poises through a hit there still should be some hit response.

Funnily enough the game looks much more like a Lords of the Fallen copy than Dark Souls, including the POV, overall aesthetics and more ponderous movement. I mean I'm game, I love LotF, but from a business perspective fast and furious seems to be more popular and profitable.

cruel

Cipher
Combat doesn't look good. Being the most important thing in a game like this, this is bad news. With beta coming in July, it's not enough time to change it I'm afraid.

Perkel

Arcane
Pancaking > Halfswording

But yeah it looks great to me. IT seems to have both roll and dodge ala bb.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Looks like shit, i mean like shit poster from dark , dirty room of teenage satanist wannabe, plus im so fucking bored with action rpgs [let's call it action]
since Witcher 3 that im pass this one and that one [yes its you Cyberpunk] and next too.
I mean for 1 good crpg with classic mechanics for fans who are not monkeys, we have 10 action crpgs now.
There will be only one action crpg that i will play and it is only proper one, called, Diablo IV. So fuck you.

cruel

Cipher
10min of actual gameplay from Fextralfe:

Atmosphere and sound design seem top notch, not sure about the rest though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perkel

Arcane
Developers trying to copy Dark Souls:

- I know ! Let us make copy of Dark Souls !
- But we can't just copy it !
- I know ! Let us make new mechanic !
- YES YES !
- I know ! Let us make new mechanics that don't look like DS mechanics at all !
- YES YES !
- So now people will have to care about some shell mechanics while they play Dark Souls clone !
- YES YES ! Totally innovative and amazing !
- Why FromSoft didn't think of it ?

Me: I just want copy of DS and your shells mechanic seems retarded.

Game looks cool but i am not too hot about those shells mechanics.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
At several points in that gameplay video, the PC char grabbed his sword by the tip of the blade and swung the crossguard at the enemy.

10/10 GOTY confirmed.

Half-swording in a Souls-like, take my money.

Half-swording against unarmored opponents is retarded though. Whole point of the thing is to aim better at armor weak spots and to deliver more powerful thrusts. If you're fighting a naked opponent it's more effective to just slash at him with the full extension of the sword.

Kitchen Utensil

Combat looks bad. Not unsalvageable, but too bad to be fixed until release if you ask me. I like slow, but there's no impact, no weight, and the enemies' reactions to being hit is laughable. Also, when will we get a good soulslike with dismemberment/good gore? Should be one of the first things being implemented right along with getting the feeling of the movement/combat right. It should be a no-brainer within a grimdark setting and graphics like this...

Edit: Basically, the game is in beta when it looks like it should be in pre-alpha.

Oh well, everything is shit...

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom