Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
TB is superior in most cases, i agree. But i will not say that BG/PfKM/NWN1 are trash because they are RtWP.

On M&M VI, i use turn based on hard battles and real time on more easy fights. On arcanum i only use turn based because his real time is broken

Stella Brando

Arcane
I only want to play Baldur's Gate 3 if I can sleep-scum my way to victory

qsLgjqv6ifUHG6A5PEXJSS-320-80.jpg

"Your party needs to be in peak fighting condition at all times. The next thirty meters of grassland may be pleasantly deserted, or it may be swarming with gnolls. You won't know until there are spears in your face."

https://www.pcgamer.com/i-only-want-to-play-baldurs-gate-3-if-i-can-sleep-scum-my-way-to-victory/

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Oh come on bro, we all know chicken is the shit you eat when you don't have enough money to afford pork.
Nah,chicken is more expensive than pork. We lost this year around 2 million swines to african flu,we still have enough to not change the price of 4-5 euro per kilogram :lol:.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I really don't get you guys,i too like TB games. If you were all "I prefer TB because i am getting old and can't keep up ",i will be all brofist and friendly like. There is no real reason to come up with all those weak strawman arguments.
That's not good enough. You have to understand why you enjoy TB combat in the first place. Any cogent reason will be incompatible with RTwP. And what strawman? There is nothing under the sun to make RTwP look even remotely justifiable.

Then what is your excuse for never bothering to understand how it is designed to be played/is actually played?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm enjoying this thread because when I first joined in 2005 everyone called Baldur's Gate dog shit. Now everyone is ragging on BG3 because it won't be as good as 1 and 2. I can't wait until 2030 when BG4 comes out and everyone thinks it'll suck and not be as good at part 1,2 and 3.
Aside from Fallout and Arcanum, what CRPGs did early Codexers actually esteem? I've occasionally seen old-timers write that the Codex originally possessed a proper disdain for Bioware and all its works, but there doesn't seem to have been much affection for older CRPGs (Wizardry-likes, Dungeon Master-likes, Gold Box, et cetera). :M

Deleted Member 22431

TB is superior in most cases, i agree. But i will not say that BG/PfKM/NWN1 are trash because they are RtWP.
BG, the good
Shitload amount of quests, gigantic world full of life, especially the cities, tons of spells, creatures and magical items, different NPCs, D&D.

BG, the bad
Shit writing, awful combat system, terrible encounter design, non-existent resource management, overpowered items.

It’s a good thing that you have things such as magic duels and some creatures that can kill you to oblivion without notice because without them the game would be an absolute chore to play. But even these details are not enough to obfuscate this dreadful combat system. It seems that the whole combat revolves around clicking in things just to see them dying fast. Rinse, repeat. You don’t need anything but melee 99% of the time, and melee, like most things in BG, isn’t fun. It may seem fun, but that’s because you are larping in your head all the previous P&P adventures you had with your buddies. You can over prep and make strategies, but it doesn’t matter most of the time, so the details and options are lost in the unfair cloud of RTwP. Really crude gameplay. The same thing holds for overpowered items that the game throws at you. The bad things cancel most of the good parts with maybe the exception of the gigantic lively world, and it would be dishonest to say that the combat was good because of the richness in details and variety of the game world. I can appreciate one thing and still make a negative judgment upon the game, all things considered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 22431

Yeah I remember, even in 2010 when I joined, Codex had this holy trinity - Fallout, Arcanum and Planescape: Torment, and BioWare games were considered not true RPGs. Only Volourn defended them :lol: Things had changed, indeed.
Well, Arcanum has shitty combat, so the consensus was already based on storyfag thin ice.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This thread: rtwp is better!/tb is superior!
Me: didn’t visit thread for a weak;
World: united nations declare COVID-19 a global threat;
Thread: rtwp is better!/tb is superior!
Well the codex is set in its way,the outside world doesn't really matter that much. You could always visit threads like how fucked america is?,or the corona dedicated thread.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
of course RT and TB have their place.
but RTWP have a place?

It's just, you know, the way to do things in a time when everyone are hacks.
So, hack can only hack.

Yeah I remember, even in 2010 when I joined, Codex had this holy trinity - Fallout, Arcanum and Planescape: Torment, and BioWare games were considered not true RPGs.

Best time ever it was....

So, about TB and RTwP - it doesn't matter which one is used. System won't make game good.
There are a lot of TB game that are shit.
What matter is if the game will be good.
System can attribute to it of course but not more than that.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
I'm enjoying this thread because when I first joined in 2005 everyone called Baldur's Gate dog shit. Now everyone is ragging on BG3 because it won't be as good as 1 and 2. I can't wait until 2030 when BG4 comes out and everyone thinks it'll suck and not be as good at part 1,2 and 3.
Aside from Fallout and Arcanum, what CRPGs did early Codexers actually esteem? I've occasionally seen old-timers write that the Codex originally possessed a proper disdain for Bioware and all its works, but there doesn't seem to have been much affection for older CRPGs (Wizardry-likes, Dungeon Master-likes, Gold Box, et cetera). :M
That's because true codexers esteem C&C, and Black Isle/Troika games were the epitome of such, while Bioware never had it.

Harthwain

Magister
And is not that we don't like combat, is just that combat needs to be fast to be impactful. A generic wow clone mmo where 64 players is spamming the same rotation for 30 minutes to kill a boss is not fun. A 3 minute boss fight on dark souls is fun. If the combat is too long, it loses the weight. This is why bullet spongee enemies are really bad and kills games like Oblivion.
I think you meant "lethal/deadly", instead of "fast". The latter makes you look like you want some sort of fast action game out of a turn-based system.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I think you meant "lethal/deadly", instead of "fast". The latter makes you look like you want some sort of fast action game out of a turn-based system.

Yep. pick a grenade or a fireball depending the RPG setting. If it can down a group of low level enemies, it felt powerful. If it can only deal 5% of enemy damage, it doesn't feel powerful. That is my problem with PoE. Having 4 casts per rest of Wail of the Banshee is ok, having 4 casts per rest of a non lethal spell is not ok.On D&D, a squad of peasants armed with crossbows can kill a mid level barbarian in one round if the barb is taken by surprise. Combat felt way more lethal. Mainly on 2e where you have way less hp gain past lv 10.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Nothing surprises barbarians anymore. Civilized people are capable of any skulduggery.

I an not joking. a mid level barb(8) has like 48 to 96 hp on 3.5e depending on the rolls. 8 Peasant crossbowman with heavy crossbows can deal each one d10 damage or 8d10 in total. This not considering poison.. Of course, if not taken by surprise, the barb can kill then easily without even raging.

Cael

Arcane
Nothing surprises barbarians anymore. Civilized people are capable of any skulduggery.

I an not joking. a mid level barb(8) has like 48 to 96 hp on 3.5e depending on the rolls. 8 Peasant crossbowman with heavy crossbows can deal each one d10 damage or 8d10 in total. This not considering poison.. Of course, if not taken by surprise, the barb can kill then easily without even raging.
8 peasants would only have about a 5% change to hit a level 8 Barbarian (because AC and Uncanny Dodge), meaning that there is about a 40% chance of even 1 bolt hitting the barb in the first place. After which, the surprise round is over. So, no.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
8 peasants would only have about a 5% change to hit a level 8 Barbarian (because AC and Uncanny Dodge), meaning that there is about a 40% chance of even 1 bolt hitting the barb in the first place. After which, the surprise round is over. So, no.

I was talking about the barb unarmored and taken by surprise and of course, they hitting. But my point is : I like when you can kill and die fast. Bullet sponge enemies are a huge problem on turn based or real time.

Also, can take out and is likely to take out are two different things. A lv 1 wizard with a finger of death scroll can take out a adult red dragon in one round but is extremely unlike that the dragon will fail his FORT save on 3.5e...

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

I was talking about the barb unarmored and taken by surprise and of course, they hitting. But my point is : I like when you can kill and die fast. Bullet sponge enemies are a huge problem on turn based or real time.

Also, can take out and is likely to take out are two different things. A lv 1 wizard with a finger of death scroll can take out a adult red dragon in one round but is extremely unlike that the dragon will fail his FORT save on 3.5e...
He definitely can, but let's see how likely that is. The wizard needs to succeed X separate rolls:
1 - the wizard needs to make a caster level check (with DC 14) to activate the scroll, because his caster level (1) is lower than the minimum required to cast Finger of Death (13);
2 - the wizard needs to overcome the dragon's spell resistance, so that's another caster level check (this time with DC 21);
3 - the dragon needs to fail his fortitude saving throw (he has a +18 bonus and the DC for the scroll is 20).

Since we are talking about our average adventurer, it's reasonable to take the elite array for his abilities (15 14 13 12 10 8). To even try to activate the scroll we need at least Intelligence 17, so we must put 15 into Intelligence AND pick a race with a bonus to that stat (like the gray elf). We can pick a feat and, since our main obstacle is the dragon's spell resistance, we are going with Spell Penetration.

Let's calculate our chances:
- since our caster level is 1, we need to roll at least 13 to activate the scroll (thats 8/20 possibilities);
- to the caster level check to overcome the spell resistance we have a +3 bonus, so we need to roll at least 18 (that's 3/20 possibilities);
- to fail its save, the dragon has to roll 2 or lower (so that's 2/20 possibilities).

To calculate our chances, all these events need to happen at the same time, so that's 8/20 * 3/20 * 2/20 = 48/8000 = 3/500 possibilities. In conclusion, we just need to find around 200 brave level 1 wizards and equip them with 200 scrolls (2,275 gp each) and we can reasonably expect to take down the dragon.
So much for the winged menace.

Of course, we also need a way to reach the dragon and attack him before e breathes, but that's another story.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

He definitely can, but let's see how likely that is. The wizard needs to succeed X separate rolls:
1 - the wizard needs to make a caster level check (with DC 14) to activate the scroll, because his caster level (1) is lower than the minimum required to cast Finger of Death (13);
2 - the wizard needs to overcome the dragon's spell resistance, so that's another caster level check (this time with DC 21);
3 - the dragon needs to fail his fortitude saving throw (he has a +18 bonus and the DC for the scroll is 20).

Since we are talking about our average adventurer, it's reasonable to take the elite array for his abilities (15 14 13 12 10 8). To even try to activate the scroll we need at least Intelligence 17, so we must put 15 into Intelligence AND pick a race with a bonus to that stat (like the gray elf). We can pick a feat and, since our main obstacle is the dragon's spell resistance, we are going with Spell Penetration.

Let's calculate our chances:
- since our caster level is 1, we need to roll at least 13 to activate the scroll (thats 8/20 possibilities);
- to the caster level check to overcome the spell resistance we have a +3 bonus, so we need to roll at least 18 (that's 3/20 possibilities);
- to fail its save, the dragon has to roll 2 or lower (so that's 2/20 possibilities).

To calculate our chances, all these events need to happen at the same time, so that's 8/20 * 3/20 * 2/20 = 48/8000 = 3/500 possibilities. In conclusion, we just need to find around 20 brave level 1 wizards and equip them with 20 scrolls (2,275 gp each) and we can reasonably expect to take down the dragon.
So much for the winged menace.

Of course, we also need a way to reach the dragon and attack him before e breathes, but that's another story.
How dare you! Wizards are uber powerful! How dare you say they won't win? Playing a Wizard is an automatic "I win!" button!
I am dramaqueen and I scream out this statement! REEEEEE!!!!!

Harthwain

Magister
To calculate our chances, all these events need to happen at the same time, so that's 8/20 * 3/20 * 2/20 = 48/8000 = 3/500 possibilities. In conclusion, we just need to find around 20 brave level 1 wizards and equip them with 20 scrolls (2,275 gp each) and we can reasonably expect to take down the dragon.
That's not true. You can fail all rolls for all mages or succeed at the first try (first mage). Just because you have 50% at something it doesn't mean you will get 1 success and 1 failure. It's all random.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's not true. You can fail all rolls for all mages or succeed at the first try (first mage). Just because you have 50% at something it doesn't mean you will get 1 success and 1 failure. It's all random.
That's why I said "reasonably expect" and not "be absolutely sure". That 3/500 is the probability of hitting al three rolls correctly and it means that 1 in 167 times you can expect to succeed all three rolls. Obviously it doesn't mean that if you have 167 mages you will CERTAINLY kill the dragon.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Binomial probabilities don't work like this, it's around 28% for the barb to be hit in any round.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
That's why I said "reasonably expect" and not "be absolutely sure". That 3/500 is the probability of hitting al three rolls correctly and it means that 1 in 167 times you can expect to succeed all three rolls. Obviously it doesn't mean that if you have 167 mages you will CERTAINLY kill the dragon.
I imagined 167 mages preparing for battle with dragon and then one of them says: "I know it probably will be overkill guys, but maybe we should round up our numbers? Let's say find 33 more our brethren and then will try to kill dragon?"
*After spending some time on search*
"Damn it, we found 11 more than we planned, but we can't ditch them for round numbers. I guess it's 250 then"
After some time later, dragon saw in sheer horror how 10,000 mages approach his cave with murderous intentions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom