Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

I clicked right into the middle of this to see what the fuck is this shit and is it worth my time for a 70 minutes video. Landed at 27:10. Saw a retard using the shotgun rotater mod surrounded in close combat. Video stopped, opinion discarded. Total time wasted: ~1.25s.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
lol wait, why does the codex hate Doom Eternal? I don't feel like going back through the thread, last criticism I read was "made by women with danger hairs and faggots".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
lol wait, why does the codex hate Doom Eternal? I don't feel like going back through the thread, last criticism I read was "made by women with danger hairs and faggots".

It doubles-down on the glory kill/chainsaw for ammo and health mechanics, making them more necessary, and adds a bunch of cooldown mechanics to juggle.

abija

Prophet
Remove chainsaw and belch, tone down glory kill hp gain, rebalance the game and then it's decent...
Most of game doesn't even have a fail condition atm unless the player gets bored/impatient. Good thing they touted how they wanted to punish the player while trying very hard to actually make it "awesome" with minimal skill requirement.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Nah false alarm. Only the Alphabet People actually hate this game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
My favored moment in the game was running around the last boss waiting for zombies to spawn because i had run out of ammo lmao.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
It doubles-down on the glory kill/chainsaw for ammo and health mechanics, making them more necessary, and adds a bunch of cooldown mechanics to juggle.

Which makes for an extremely satisfying combat loop once you master it.

So the tl;dr is codex sucks at Doom?

inb4severebutthurt

ZcB1rzA.png

And there we go. Probably not the best way to spend ~20 hours but quarantine and all.

I did miss out on 1 collectable, a few of the shitty glory kill challenges, and didn't max out one weapon (totally my fault, I used all the mastery powerups thinking I wouldn't unlock the plasma microwave ability but I forgot I could still earn weapon point on the last map). It really is pretty easy past the first two maps. Once you've got a 100+ armor buffer you are quite safe even to the sometimes shitty ambushes. Just be maniacal about farming health and armor before finishing off strong enemies that can trigger new waves.

Which makes for an extremely satisfying combat loop once you master it.

So the tl;dr is codex sucks at Doom?

inb4severebutthurt
It's an extremely simplistic combat loop. Dash every 0.75 seconds while jumping and grapple hooking around till you are at max armor/ammo. Pull out rocket launcher and lock on, fire 1-3 bursts depending on what you are fighting, repeat. Sometimes replace with precision rifle/ballista swap or chaingun turret depending on situation. Use freeze grenades to create openings or recover health. That's basically the whole game from the start of level 4.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
It's an extremely simplistic combat loop. Dash every 0.75 seconds while jumping and grapple hooking around till you are at max armor/ammo. Pull out rocket launcher and lock on, fire 1-3 bursts depending on what you are fighting, repeat. Sometimes replace with precision rifle/ballista swap or chaingun turret depending on situation. Use freeze grenades to create openings or recover health. That's basically the whole game from the start of level 4.
That's roughly less simple than DOOM 1 & 2. Great game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't think simplistic combat is the right criticism at all. If anything it's up its own ass with a lot of different mechanics and stimulus responses. I felt like I was constantly juggling 15 different things based on color and shape indicators, without putting much thought into it. See X, remember to hit Y key, then move on to Z. It was like playing Simon.

Doom 1 & 2 (especially 2) have a lot more to them to break up the routine. Monsters require different strategies, e.g. dodging Mancubi vs. Revenants. There are also hitscan enemies to take into account By comparison dodging everything in DoomE is basically identical: dash around like a rabbit on crack. This is a consequence of DoomE's mobility being overpowered. Map design and layout is much more important. DoomE essentially requires areas that you can loop around. As long as you can loop around basically every area plays the same. Again this is a consequence of DoomE having overpowered movement. In Doom1&2 area design requires a lot more thought and respect for from the player otherwise they'll end up cornered or in a situation where dodging is significantly harder. Health and ammo management become trivial since you can generate it yourself in DoomE. There's essentially never a time where you need to switch to a sub par weapon. In Doom 1&2 there is again strategy in how ammo is utilized in exchange for keeping the player more alive.

Bottom line, Doom WADs still to this day can surprise me or throw me situations that take actual real mental deliberation in how to approach rooms. DoomE has no variation and will never be able to have any until the insane mobility and goodie-farming abilities are pared back. Level 1 and the first half or so of level 2 in DoomE are what take the most concentration and thought to beat, precisely because they are before the full extent of those abilities are available to the player.

abija

Prophet
I played it most of the game without using chainsaw (only using at 3 stacks in last levels when designers gave up and were throwing more fuel than standard ammo) and without frag grenade and it's considerably more interesting than that. But fuck having to use self imposed restrictions on hardest difficulty.

Reinforced my impression that chainsaw refill was added after most game was balanced though.

DoomE essentially requires areas that you can loop around. As long as you can loop around basically every area plays the same. Again this is a consequence of DoomE having overpowered movement.
And plenty of times they provide portals to make your job even easier.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Who was the person that said you could map the ice grenade to a different button? I just have the switching mapped to a different button, not specifically the activation of the ice grenade.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Who was the person that said you could map the ice grenade to a different button? I just have the switching mapped to a different button, not specifically the activation of the ice grenade.

I think it was criticism of why have 2 buttons, one throw grenade and one swap grenade type when there are only two grenades, when you can have 2 buttons where you just make the throw grenade for frag and swap grenade for ice.

abija

Prophet
A possible explanation is that they had more nades planned.
But I bet some UX fucktard went like "can't have both binds on similar buttons on controllers which means they can't do similar actions".

I'm guessing a controller is exactly why. Swap grenades button is probably one of d-pad buttons, which are conventionally used for switching things. Even on Nightmare I still wasn't using frag grenades because of this. Not that I ever felt I needed them, there's already enough shit to juggle.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Doom 1 & 2 (especially 2) have a lot more to them to break up the routine. Monsters require different strategies, e.g. dodging Mancubi vs. Revenants. There are also hitscan enemies to take into account By comparison dodging everything in DoomE is basically identical: dash around like a rabbit on crack. This is a consequence of DoomE's mobility being overpowered. Map design and layout is much more important. DoomE essentially requires areas that you can loop around. As long as you can loop around basically every area plays the same. Again this is a consequence of DoomE having overpowered movement.
Hold on, what?

Enemy projectile leading in Eternal has been increased to absurd levels compared to D16. Almost every ranged enemy is capable of shooting where you are going instead of where you are (on Nightmare), which makes blind circledashing unviable. This holds especially true against enemies whose projectiles are trailing, like Whiplashes and Carcasses and Archviles and Tyrants. Arachnotron turrets and Mancubi cannons and Pain Elementals also feature highly powerful leading.

Enemy projectile leading in Eternal has been increased to absurd levels compared to D16. Almost every ranged enemy is capable of shooting where you are going instead of where you are (on Nightmare), which makes blind circledashing unviable. This holds especially true against enemies whose projectiles are trailing, like Whiplashes and Carcasses and Archviles and Tyrants. Arachnotron turrets and Mancubi cannons and Pain Elementals also feature highly powerful leading.

They almost always miss, since your speed is not constant when dashing. You also jump and use the grappling hook of course, those help more against the ground wave attacks that track you from the snakes, but you are jumping and using the grappling hook anyway.

sullynathan

Arcane
A possible explanation is that they had more nades planned.
But I bet some UX fucktard went like "can't have both binds on similar buttons on controllers which means they can't do similar actions".

I'm guessing a controller is exactly why. Swap grenades button is probably one of d-pad buttons, which are conventionally used for switching things. Even on Nightmare I still wasn't using frag grenades because of this. Not that I ever felt I needed them, there's already enough shit to juggle.

That sounds dumb though. games like COD have had smoke and frag grenades on separate controller buttons for ages, and unlike DOOM also have aiming down sight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom