Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civvie thread (classic FPS reviews/commentary on youtube)

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
2004 was a crazy year - Half-Life 2, Far Cry and Doom 3.

ironmask

Arbiter
I get nostalgic when I think of Doom 3 because I always played that game as a kid even though I sucked ass at it and would watch brother play it all the time. Sadly Doom 3 is one of those games for me that I would play years later and see that was not as good as I use to think it was.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It was pretty shit but being made for consoles made it shittier. Those tiny corridors, non-existent movement capabilities etc.

Doom 3 was made for PC, the only console version that was released was for the original Xbox about year later and that one was made by a different company (Vicarious Visions) and had several differences to make it work with the console. Even the ports to Xbox 360 and PS3 that were made years later with the BFG edition had to be scaled down graphically because they couldn't handle the original game.

It was Rage that was made for consoles (and AFAIK it was the first game id made themselves that was released on PC and consoles at the same time).

A horse of course

Civvie liking nuDuum is disappointing.

Well he said it's shit for the first few hours, then it "clicks", but he still hates the platforming, story, cutscenes etc. Also I think he's butthurt by the vaguely anti-SJW "mortally-challenged" jokes or something, I didn't really understand what he was talking about in that bit.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It seems to me like they designed the game with optimal solutions in mind and cattle prod you into their solution as if each battle was a puzzle, I see merits in that but boy that can get annoying fast, specially as it seems you need to chainsaw enemies every 30 seconds or so to not run out of ammo and watch that chainsaw animation over and over and over.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I took it that he was taking the RLM approach of avoiding controversy by acting like caring about politics is for losers and whiners.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
If I wanted to introduce people to Thief I'd probably try to play it more naturally/seriously/slowly. The atmosphere isn't going to be noticed much otherwise.
Others have done funny playthroughs much better than ol' civvie ever could due to the sheer difference in experience with the game.

He should have done Turok 2 or some such instead, imo. More his speed and someone's gotta improve upon GGGGGGGGGGGGman's shit reviews of that title (the review of the original version is trash, and the nightdive(? or whatever) version he suddenly liked, but it fucks with the game way too much).

DraQ

Arcane
By not removing half the point of the game, which is navigating around guard patrols and such.
Yeah, that's a problem with game design not player's playstyle.

If you don't want player to methodically dismantle your patrols, then derp freely around level, don't give them means to do just that.
If player can reliably KO and disappear all the guards with impunity, player will KO and disappear all the guards with impunity, if only because it's optimal in the long run when it comes to exploring the level (no pesky patrols getting in the way).

If you want patrols to stay there as continuous obstacle in a stealth oriented game (or RPG/immersive sim while using a stealth approach), then:
  • Don't give player blackjack, tranq darts, chokeout, whatever
  • Make those means unreliable risking victim's death or alarm, preferably with deferred failure
  • Make those means resource dependent (victim wakes and raises alarm unless tied up and gagged, finite supply of rope)
  • Make player forfeit ghosting/additional stealth goals by taking out patrols
  • Make detection inevitable once any of the patrols go missing (ideally make detection thing that happens if player leaves the environment in changed state, not just patrols - ghost is when they never know you were there).
  • Make alarm states ratchet

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom