Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Seems like a lot of people are experiencing (me included) a crash when trying to load any previous campaign save with the new patch (e1.0.2) which came yesterday. :(

Figure this is only going to get worse, which is why I'm trying to hold off. Patch a day so far, it's going to break/force a restart eventually.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
They clearly focused on graphics and basic mechanics like travel/combat/trade working, but going into pretty much any more in-depth aspect is bound to end up with bugs and things that don't do anything. That alone will take lots of time to fix. Then there's balancing, which at this point is virtually nonexistent be it items, units or economy.

Hellion

Arcane
Going past day 335 during the campaign seems to corrupt my savefiles for some reason. I successfully reload all games up until day 330 or so, play again until well past 350, at which point I can't even reload the autosaves.

During that time you receive an update to a (already pretty vague and non-functional) main story quest related to having started your own kingdom, so maybe it's the quest that's bugged.

Edit: Yep, I managed to recreate the bug. Saving and Loading the game right after you receive a quest titled "Stop the Conspiracy" crashes the game. It would be advisable for everyone not to start their own faction for now, unless they fix it soon.

Edit2: After searching TaleWorlds' forums, it seems that this bug is not related to a specific quest but to the general number of saves/reloads you make during a playthrough. So saving/reloading a lot seems to corrupt your game (?).

A quote from the devs:

Having so many save files or trying to load them repetitively may causes problems. We have fixed this issue and this will be pushed ASAP.

Last edited:

dehimos

Augur
One thing, anyone can go back to a previous patch: Steam -> Properties -> Beta -> Select.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
What a shame. I was looking forward to this game, momentary forgot about it, then got reminded by this thread alert.

Good thing the Kriticool Kodex Konsensus prevented my from wasting money on this. :salute:

Actually the game sounds very Bethesda to me: overhyped, buggy, no playtesting, shitty balance, mods will fix it.
Is... that how you have to be to make the big bucks these days?

PrettyDeadman

What a shame. I was looking forward to this game, momentary forgot about it, then got reminded by this thread alert.

Good thing the Kriticool Kodex Konsensus prevented my from wasting money on this. :salute:

Actually the game sounds very Bethesda to me: overhyped, buggy, no playtesting, shitty balance, mods will fix it.
Bethesda games are WAY better.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I know it's currently EA or """EA"""", but it's a bit lame, that owning a fief changes nothing in dialogue. If you go to a village you own, they still treat you like a random mercenary. Also acquiring a fief could be done a bit more interestingly, right now it just shows up in your menu out of nothing and, like the bug list gal / guy said, you can easily overlook the fact that you have been awarded a fief if you don't check the menu.

jungl

Augur
The only thing good about this game is the improved visuals. Everything else is BAD. The amount of bugs gives me early 2000 nostalgia downloading PC games filled with bugs. The amount of content is laughable. I uninstalled it maybe in a year or two someone will release a mod that is better then the base game.

This game was in the oven for 8 plus years and somehow more disappointing release then pathfinder kingmaker.

XenomorphII

Prophet
They need to rethink the entire leveling system and the perks. Make them more interesting mostly and have everything you do give xp (tourneys don't right now, and I think there are others, that or they give so little as to be unnoticeable) if they stick with a gain by doing system (which I think works for the game so you don't have to fight to advance if you don't want to for whatever reason, ie you can actually be a trader and get better at it without having to fight battles to improve your trading ability).

I do like it though. Hopefully it sees as much growth as the original did from its first release.

Latelistener

Arcane
Yeah. To give my opinion - vanilla M&B had an addictive game loop, also riding horses was quite novel at the time the game came out, but vanilla M&B has never been more than half-assed as production values go. All the good graphics, balance, units and items came from mods, not to mention some important and interesting mechanics, which really altered the gameplay.
I played only vanilla M&B and then was searching for a good mod that could enhance vanilla Warband, but strangely enough haven't found much. It's either a total conversion or just unfinished, abandoned or half-assed. Sometimes all of them in combination. I installed Polished Landscapes because it looks marvelous, but it's also unfinished, abandoned and broke my game.

I would also be surprised if there is a total conversion with the quality on par with, let's say, Arcane Dimensions. Most of them looked amateurish with comment sections filled with people crying about unaddressed bugs for months or even years.

thesecret1

Arcane
Yep, I agree. It's an absurd mix of cool and bad stuff. But I have seen that they have a patch released every day, so they are taking this seriously.
Taking it seriously. Sure. That's one way to say panic mode. If your fix to workshops giving random amounts of money is "let's hard cap it at 200", then you are not taking it seriously. You're shitting your pants with no laundry machine in sight.

Wow, a lot of critical feedback in the last few pages, guys. Let me echo the words of the Immaculate among us:

You guys really do love to bitch. :lol:

I'm having fun so far. Which is already better than most sequals out there.

Remember that it's early access and vanilla. A lot of the issues discussed could be addressed.

Please refrain from posting negative things about the game out of respect to people still stuck in the honeymoon phase. I suggest exclusively reposting content from /r/mountandblade for the next thirty pages.

That is all.

:troll:

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur
There is something very wrong with game balance.
Skill progression is shit. Not only it take INSANE amount of time to raise skills, unlockable perk benefits are just garbage. +3 arrows, +1% to movement speed and etc. So get ready to grind hundreds of hours for that +1% increase. I doubt progression system was playtested at all. Equipment also doesn't mean a whole lot if you are fighting troops harder than looters.

Yeah perks often are just something more, useful perks like reloading crossbows horseback are rare. Some weak perks still give a nice bonus, for example if you play two handed you might use one handed and polearm anyway just to grab the early hp bonus since it takes no time to reach 25 skill value.
Also they used the reloading crossbow horseback in the crossbow perk tree and in the riding perk tree.

They just added new stuff and completely ignored balance.....I mean there was no crafting at all but they managed to add it but you find imperial crossbowmen with archer skills and bad with crossbow, berserker better with one handed weapons, battania without archer line in regular troops.

U-8D8

Savant
And I'll add one assumption - Taleworlds didn't work 8 years on this. They had a long pause in development, until they started releasing dev diaries again, and they had something of an "absolutely-final-do-or-die" deadline that was the end of March 2020. They hit that and they released whatever they had. The Eearly Access is basically a request for crowd funding for a 1.0 release, which will be technically stable, but will need balancing and gameplay fixes.

I think you're close. To hear Taleworlds tell it, they had to stop and make an engine from scratch because their previous one wasn't cutting it, which basically meant they had to rebuild a lot of the game. Armagan also said in an interview that they had to spend a great amount of time training their new hires, since there isn't exactly a large pool of experienced game devs in Turkey. I don't think they're hurting financially though. They've said that almost all of their funding has come from the money they still make on Warband and what with the wealth of mods available I don't see that line of revenue stopping even with Bannerlord releasing.

I think its too early to discount Taleworlds as some money grubbing Bethesda-esque company. They've been reasonably proactive with their support so far, and I've seen them comment on most of the issues brought up in this thread when they were mentioned on the forums.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Didn't know there was a consensus. I really enjoy the game (still). I personally think it's a vastly improved vanilla Warband experience already. I don't min-max though, seems a lot of people have problems with not gaining skills fast enough etc, I just take it as it comes - larping my way over Calradia slaughtering bandits and the occasional enemy Lord party.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No practice fight exp, +1.5% damage perks and other boring perks, wtf?

Practice fight so you can improve getting better, not sure why there has to be XP involved in this. Keep seeing this all over. Stats don't seem to have that much of an impact anymore, it's your skill that determines if you die or survive.

Aemar

Arcane
XP need to be rewarded for partaking in practice fights even if in smaller amounts (just like in Warband), after all you're honing those specific combat skills just like any other skills in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom