Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SIGNALIS

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
SIGNALIS is a classic survival horror experience with a unique aesthetic, full of melancholic mystery. Investigate a dark secret, solve puzzles, fight off nightmarish creatures and navigate dystopian, surreal retrotech worlds.

Last edited by a moderator:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

https://tribecafilm.com/news/enjoy-...XAyzd2QE9oazuLuve-bK7pe7qgMBY8P3ZVeRQlbcwJhc0

Signalis (World Premiere) – Germany
Developer: rose-engine
Publisher: Humble Games
Project Creator: Yuri Stern
Key Collaborator: Barbara Whitman
Stranded on a desolate world, a lone Replika must explore the ruins of an abandoned reeducation facility in search for answers—and a way to escape. Solve puzzles, fight nightmarish creatures, and navigate through dystopian, surreal worlds as Elster, a technician Replika looking for a lost dream.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
it's on humble bundle along with bargain arkane game something loop or something whatever.

i subbed this humble bundle because you get signalis and disciple liberation

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
nevermind

DO NOT BUY THE HUMBLE BUNDLE FOR SIGNALIS
IT'S A SCAM
I THOUGHT YOU'D GET A KEY WHEN IT RELEASES BUT THEY JUST GIVE YOU ACCESS TO THE GAME IN HUMBLE APP AND YOU LOSE YOUR RIGHT IF YOU UNSUB.

it's really disappointing. part of it my fault for not reading it thoroughly, but still it's pretty scummy. that's the last time i'll give money to this shitty company

ADL

Prophet
I'll play this through the Humble app since I renew every year but yeah it's not a Steam key and you don't get to own it which sucks because this and Moonscars look better than a good majority of the choice options.

toughasnails

I suppose they aren't clear enough since they don't tell you what the deal is on the main page but if you follow to the collection page you told p explicitly that you get to play the game via their app while you are subscribed. You'd think the people would learn by now but this just keeps happening, same shit happened with Moonscars just last month.

kepler
Eh the inspiration for both the in game art and cutscenes seem to be stuff like Blame and Ergo Proxy. If it has to be anime/manga art at least the sources are as you people say monocled.

manifest

Educated
I THOUGHT YOU'D GET A KEY WHEN IT RELEASES BUT THEY JUST GIVE YOU ACCESS TO THE GAME IN HUMBLE APP AND YOU LOSE YOUR RIGHT IF YOU UNSUB.

it's really disappointing. part of it my fault for not reading it thoroughly, but still it's pretty scummy. that's the last time i'll give money to this shitty company
The games themselves are DRM-free, you can uninstall the Humble Launcher once they're on your hard drive.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Signalis review - a sumptuously atmopsheric survival horror

Dear Elster.

Sam Greer avatar

Review by Sam Greer Contributor

Published on 25 Oct 2022

Signalis review - a character whose robotic arm is being blown apart against a bright red background

Eurogamer.net - Essential badge

A sapphic, sci-fi fever dream that finds horror and beauty among the stars, Signalis is dense and alluring to the last.
I can't tell you what events literally happen in Signalis, the debut game for studio Rose Engine, or in what order they occur. The entire game is an intentionally hazy nightmare. But how it made me feel is clear as day, because it is a profoundly affecting experience, both in the unnerving dread of its moment to moment exploration and fighting and also in the larger arc of its story: a rumination on identity and memory that haunts me. I've thought of little else since I finished it. Now, as if struck by a cosmic curse, I intend to bring anyone who will listen into the fold of this masterful survival horror.

Signalis review​

• Publisher: Humble Games
  • Developer: Rose Engine
  • Platform: Played on PC
  • Availability: Out 27th October on PC, PS4, Xbox One (Game Pass), Switch
In the simplest terms, Signalis is a throwback to early Resident Evil games or Silent Hill, minus the tank controls. From above, you explore the decrepit facilities of an isolated planet as Elster, an android, who has awoken in search of a woman she holds dear. How you came to be there - and what exactly happened to reduce the local android population into shambling horrors - are the mysteries that will compel you as much as the resolution of Elster's mission. Though, as with any good tale of terror, there are no easy answers to be found. In her shoes you will be exploring, gathering tools and weapons, managing resources and fending off monsters. These are very familiar components of survival horror but it's been a while since I've played one assembled this neatly and presented with such visual flair.

poster

This is a PS1-styled science fiction world with every detail accounted for, from the logos of every entity to the intricate design of its machines. Stark lighting and the use of reflections heighten the ambiguity already inherent in the stylised 3D, where each dark corner and silhouetted figure leapt straight into my imagination. Tangible in spite of its minimalism, it's a world whose cold concrete walls you can feel or whose flaking paint you can smell, where cameras follow every move you make, assuring you that someone or something is always watching. It's a grounding that makes each increasing departure from reality all the more effective. This is a place out to get you.
Retro applies to more than its aesthetic and mechanical call backs to older games, mind. It's woven into the setting itself. VHS tapes in space! Floppy disks! It's delightfully archaic. Even the weapons are decidedly lo-fi, almost vintage. A future built on history, painting a society stuck in a loop, beholden to the crumbling infrastructure of an empire in decay. Which sucks for the people but helps the game's puzzles, often the downfall of survival horror games, by having tactile, chunky interfaces (reminiscent of Alien Isolation's gizmos) that are pleasing to tinker with. Though, it is asking more of players than assembling colour coded jigsaw pieces. The Metal Gear Solid-style radio, which can be tuned to various frequencies, is a perfect example. At times it can be used to receive information but you might also need a cipher to decrypt what you hear, or to play the radio in the world to interact with certain scenes. Thinking outside of the box was essential for me to progress and if there's an option buried in an interface, be damn sure you'll need to use it eventually.

Signalis review - a dark, greenish-hued room with knocked over chairs and a black hole in the middle of the floor Signalis review - a dark, blue-hued room with Elster pointing a laser-guided handgun

That radio is part of a flawless soundscape, stacked with memorable effects and cues as well as an unsettling ambience. Who knew fans could whir so menacingly, or my own footsteps reverberating down a metal ladder would put me on edge? And the music! There's a truly excellent, understated, evocative phantom of a score by 1000 Eyes & Cicada Sirens but I'm equally impressed by the deployment of Classical or Romantic music throughout. Those following the story and who know their Tchaikovsky will not be entirely surprised to hear Swan Lake at a pivotal moment, adding to the doom hanging over Elster's quest. Every layer of it is dense with meaning and I felt fully enveloped in this experience, from beginning to end. Which made it all the easier to be frightened.

Signalis review - an anime-style closeup of Elster's face looking towards the camera, framed in the right-third of the widescreen view Signalis review - a black screen with white text, mostly redacted, hinting at things that are 'dangerous and repulsive' and 'a message warning about... the danger is still present' Signalis review - a retro-future computer terminal with keypad buttons, yellow gears and a fuzzy screen
To Signalis's credit, there is no reliance on jump scares. I counted only a small (extremely effective) handful throughout. Instead, we have a classic bit of the old slow-burning dread. Long stretches of nothing happening, dwindling supplies, locked doors. So many times Signalis will feel like it's building to an ambush only to subvert expectations completely. It felt so fine-tuned to exactly how I was playing and knew just when to withhold ammo or put in a long stretch between save points. The real battle is planning your routes and balancing your inventory to make sure you're well equipped but always leaving room for what you might need to collect. Even when you're revisiting an area, you'll end up sneaking past foes when low on bullets, or have to contend with corpses who will revive themselves on a whim. If there's a system or way to anticipate these revivals, I never figured it out. You'll never feel safe.

Signalis review - Elster talks to a dying woman slimped on the floor in dim lighting, saying: I'm looking for this woman.
Signalis will spend hours establishing rules only to upend them, breaking even its own continuity. Dream or memory sequences bleed into the real world and it's very unclear where one ends and the other begins. I always found an elegant internal logic behind these twists. Things that seem like minor inconveniences, like being shunted to the main menu upon a death, become just another way to tell the story. A great deal of thought has clearly gone into populating the game with all manner of tools to pull the rug from under players. It made me seek the truth like searching for solid ground in shifting sands, propelled to the point of being willing to drop down into a blood stained hole in the earth, driven by each precious clue towards just what the hell is going on.
Each subplot and allusion is a tragedy, all overlapping, imparting meaning to the other. Where is the line between love and obsession? Determination and ignorance?
I imagine diehard fans will be picking over every line of dialogue, visual cue and choice reference for some time. Signalis is steeped in influences, ranging from Ghost in The Shell to Stanley Kubrick and everything in between. A centrepiece of the plot is The King in Yellow by Robert W.Chambers, explicitly tying the game to its literary forebears. Signalis wears those inspirations on its sleeve but never do they override its own identity, they simply help frame its events. I've been left thinking about its own moments, not those of the works it touches upon. Funny, for a game all about struggling to hold on to your sense of self.

Signalis review - sneaking through a dark, grey room with four pillars and several ghostly enemies with swords and shields Signalis review - a very dark, futuristic train carriage with faded red seats and one character sat alone at the end, skyscrapers outside.

Each subplot and allusion is a tragedy, all overlapping, imparting meaning to the other. Where is the line between love and obsession? Determination and ignorance? As Signalis's cast of characters struggle to trust their own reality or even their own memories, these emotions all become intertwined into something monstrous, unreconcilable. In all of that horror, Elster remains a rock. Stoic characters run the risk of being dull but that's balanced here by subtle hints towards her inner thoughts, while her determination to find the woman she loves is a comfort, especially when faced with futility. Like Elster, I never stopped fighting to reach the end of her mission. Hope is all you have.
Through its formidable scares Signalis lets light into the wounds of a horrifying existence. This is a game about more than overcoming living nightmares. It is about choosing to persist in the face of an uncaring universe, about continuing to stand when your identity and your body is dehumanised. Science fiction and survival horror that uses the past to craft something thoroughly modern. Like a dying star, Signalis burns bright: beautiful, terrifying and unmissable.

Not bad, but why this awful obsession with PS1 retrograde graphics? It's endemic. Why can't indie devs create their own damn style?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Review: Signalis

Posted 41 mins ago by Eric Van Allen

Signalis

Flesh, frights, and gears​

There are so many places I could start with Signalis, that it’s hard to know just where. Maybe it’s the long, ominous shadows that often hid an enemy from my sight. The horrifying creatures, waiting to shriek and charge at me. Maybe it’s the incredible style, or the music, or the intricate, tactile puzzles.
It is really hard to succinctly explain what’s so striking about Signalis. In a span of nine or so hours, I went on a trek deeper and deeper down, scraping through layers of steel and concrete until I reached the earth’s flesh, to find the forbidden truths that both my avatar and I sought. It was perilous and emotional, gorgeous and terrifying.

Signalis_SaveRoom_102522.jpg

For me, I keep thinking back to the tension I felt in save rooms. I’m standing over a storage box, counting how many bullets I think I’ll need to walk out the door with to get through the next section.
It’s often just barely enough.

Signalis (PC [reviewed], Switch, PS4, Xbox One)
Developer: rose-engine
Publisher: Humble Games, Playism
Released: October 27, 2022
MSRP: N/A

Signalis is a survival horror game from indie studio rose-engine. It’s the debut of the two-person crew, in the works since 2014.
It would be really easy to describe Signalis by the melting pot of influences you could draw out of it. From survival horror games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill, to its literary influences literally called out in the game itself. From symphonic performances to The King in Yellow, Signalis doesn’t really shy away from its roots. Instead, it feels like a glowing call-back to the golden era of survival horror.

Signalis_Hole_102522.jpg

Into the abyss​

The player takes on the role of Elster, an android who’s crash-landed on a snow-drenched planet in search of a lost companion. This quest leads her to a mining and re-education camp, falling apart from an unknown terror. Something’s wrong here, which becomes even more apparent as the residents warp and attack you on sight.
The bulk of Signalis is spent in a top-down, tilted view as you move room to room, trying to forge a path ahead. Managing health, ammo, and other resources is critical, even down to stomping on an enemy rather than spending an extra bullet. Because these foes, after enough time, do come back.

Signalis_Combat2_102522.jpg

Thankfully, rose-engine provides some effective methods for dealing with things that go bump in the dark. There’s a careful balance of tools and equipment. Stun batons give you a free knockdown on most enemies, and thermite flares let you torch their bodies so they won’t get back up. An arsenal that starts with a pistol expands to heavier and more powerful firearms.
But nothing in Signalis is too plentiful. It often felt like I was given just enough ammo and tools to skate by. A rigid amount of storage forced me to make tough decisions. Am I willing to run around with just a few rounds in my revolver, just in case I run across a key item? Should I backtrack to open space in my storage, or use a valuable Repair Spray to free up a spot now?

Signalis_Inventory_102522.jpg

While the right choice never felt certain, it was comforting that it rarely felt like there was a wrong way to play either. Rose-engine lays out just enough to keep you moving forward puzzle-to-puzzle, without making me feel I needed to reload an old save to undo past mistakes.
The tactile puzzles are highlights of Signalis. Flipping fuses, turning dials, or watching as a box clicks open after a neat solution adds a little extra layer of connection to what’s happening. Many aspects of Signalis feel extremely tangible in this way, from tuning dials to hastily opening the inventory screen to swap to another gun.

Signalis_Puzzle1_102522.jpg

Earth’s pores open​

And Signalis effortlessly swaps between styles, too. While a large portion of the game is in the top-down view, some moments zoom the camera into a first-person mode, letting you wander much closer. In others, cutscenes play out, flipping between low-poly models and detailed, anime-inspired pixel art. There are even more fascinating stylistic choices that I wish I could talk about without spoiling; suffice to say, if you’re a fan of clicky, analogue pieces of tech, you’ll dig some sections of Signalis.

Signalis_Train_102522.jpg

Where this perspective and art style swapping could feel inconsistent, it instead creates this unsettling tension. Broad strokes give way to fine, grim detail. Text violently slams onto the screen, with fonts and words used as imagery to emphasize the drama. The cut-in to someone’s face, often against a foreboding monotone background, can form punctuating moments of emotion, whether that’s relief or terror.

Cold, distant space​

It’s hard to talk too much about the actual narrative behind Signalis without giving too much away, and even then, there are final details I’m still picking apart after the ending. The vision of a star system finally settled by humanity, thanks to the Replika workers like Elster, and the costs associated are fascinating to dig into. Rose-engine has put a ton of lore into the nooks and crannies of the world. Some of it is crucial, for puzzles or story reasons. Others are just welcome bits of detail, fleshing out their universe.
But the setting rose-engine constructs is both grim and beautiful. Th
e nature of labor and work in this world, especially for androids like Elster, is a constant question. And as you both climb deeper into the abyss, who knows what truths you’ll start to uncover?
Signalis_Isa_102522.jpg

To be more clear, there’s a fair bit of cosmic, unknowable terror baked into the heart of Signalis‘ horror. It’s an especially sci-fi, technologic kind of cosmic horror too. The kind where synthetic flesh and metal warp to create absolutely terrifying monstrosities. It’s never an outright jump-scare kind of game, but moments in Signalis filled me with an absolute dread of what could be right around the corner.

Remember our promise​

Even so, there’s a heart at the center of Signalis that kept me and Elster going. As the thread unspools and I started to grasp just what was happening, I was absolutely magnetized to this setting. I’m frequently a clear-it-once player, but it was really hard to stop myself from immediately starting up a new run after I’d rolled credits on Signalis. It’s a testament to rose-engine that this has stayed in development for so many years, and yet still feels like it’s breaking new ground
It’s honestly hard to find any drawbacks about Signalis; sure, sometimes the lock-on gets a little finicky, or some areas feel a tad drawn out. Those feel like tiny slights against an overall fantastic experience.
For survival horror fans, and lovers of cosmic sci-fi terror, this is a no-brainer. Signalis is a fresh, reinvigorating take on the games that inspired it. Thinking back on each hour, through each locale and their mysteries, I’m repeatedly won over by its impressive style-swapping, carefully balanced tension, brilliant art and sound design, and engaging puzzles. This is a promise worth keeping.

Superb

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron

Signalis review - a sumptuously atmopsheric survival horror

Dear Elster.

Sam Greer avatar

Review by Sam Greer Contributor

Published on 25 Oct 2022

Signalis review - a character whose robotic arm is being blown apart against a bright red background

Eurogamer.net - Essential badge

A sapphic, sci-fi fever dream that finds horror and beauty among the stars, Signalis is dense and alluring to the last.
I can't tell you what events literally happen in Signalis, the debut game for studio Rose Engine, or in what order they occur. The entire game is an intentionally hazy nightmare. But how it made me feel is clear as day, because it is a profoundly affecting experience, both in the unnerving dread of its moment to moment exploration and fighting and also in the larger arc of its story: a rumination on identity and memory that haunts me. I've thought of little else since I finished it. Now, as if struck by a cosmic curse, I intend to bring anyone who will listen into the fold of this masterful survival horror.

Signalis review​

• Publisher: Humble Games
  • Developer: Rose Engine
  • Platform: Played on PC
  • Availability: Out 27th October on PC, PS4, Xbox One (Game Pass), Switch
In the simplest terms, Signalis is a throwback to early Resident Evil games or Silent Hill, minus the tank controls. From above, you explore the decrepit facilities of an isolated planet as Elster, an android, who has awoken in search of a woman she holds dear. How you came to be there - and what exactly happened to reduce the local android population into shambling horrors - are the mysteries that will compel you as much as the resolution of Elster's mission. Though, as with any good tale of terror, there are no easy answers to be found. In her shoes you will be exploring, gathering tools and weapons, managing resources and fending off monsters. These are very familiar components of survival horror but it's been a while since I've played one assembled this neatly and presented with such visual flair.

poster

This is a PS1-styled science fiction world with every detail accounted for, from the logos of every entity to the intricate design of its machines. Stark lighting and the use of reflections heighten the ambiguity already inherent in the stylised 3D, where each dark corner and silhouetted figure leapt straight into my imagination. Tangible in spite of its minimalism, it's a world whose cold concrete walls you can feel or whose flaking paint you can smell, where cameras follow every move you make, assuring you that someone or something is always watching. It's a grounding that makes each increasing departure from reality all the more effective. This is a place out to get you.
Retro applies to more than its aesthetic and mechanical call backs to older games, mind. It's woven into the setting itself. VHS tapes in space! Floppy disks! It's delightfully archaic. Even the weapons are decidedly lo-fi, almost vintage. A future built on history, painting a society stuck in a loop, beholden to the crumbling infrastructure of an empire in decay. Which sucks for the people but helps the game's puzzles, often the downfall of survival horror games, by having tactile, chunky interfaces (reminiscent of Alien Isolation's gizmos) that are pleasing to tinker with. Though, it is asking more of players than assembling colour coded jigsaw pieces. The Metal Gear Solid-style radio, which can be tuned to various frequencies, is a perfect example. At times it can be used to receive information but you might also need a cipher to decrypt what you hear, or to play the radio in the world to interact with certain scenes. Thinking outside of the box was essential for me to progress and if there's an option buried in an interface, be damn sure you'll need to use it eventually.

Signalis review - a dark, greenish-hued room with knocked over chairs and a black hole in the middle of the floor Signalis review - a dark, blue-hued room with Elster pointing a laser-guided handgun

That radio is part of a flawless soundscape, stacked with memorable effects and cues as well as an unsettling ambience. Who knew fans could whir so menacingly, or my own footsteps reverberating down a metal ladder would put me on edge? And the music! There's a truly excellent, understated, evocative phantom of a score by 1000 Eyes & Cicada Sirens but I'm equally impressed by the deployment of Classical or Romantic music throughout. Those following the story and who know their Tchaikovsky will not be entirely surprised to hear Swan Lake at a pivotal moment, adding to the doom hanging over Elster's quest. Every layer of it is dense with meaning and I felt fully enveloped in this experience, from beginning to end. Which made it all the easier to be frightened.

Signalis review - an shitty Japanese pornographic cartoons-style closeup of Elster's face looking towards the camera, framed in the right-third of the widescreen view's face looking towards the camera, framed in the right-third of the widescreen view Signalis review - a black screen with white text, mostly redacted, hinting at things that are 'dangerous and repulsive' and 'a message warning about... the danger is still present''dangerous and repulsive' and 'a message warning about... the danger is still present' Signalis review - a retro-future computer terminal with keypad buttons, yellow gears and a fuzzy screen
To Signalis's credit, there is no reliance on jump scares. I counted only a small (extremely effective) handful throughout. Instead, we have a classic bit of the old slow-burning dread. Long stretches of nothing happening, dwindling supplies, locked doors. So many times Signalis will feel like it's building to an ambush only to subvert expectations completely. It felt so fine-tuned to exactly how I was playing and knew just when to withhold ammo or put in a long stretch between save points. The real battle is planning your routes and balancing your inventory to make sure you're well equipped but always leaving room for what you might need to collect. Even when you're revisiting an area, you'll end up sneaking past foes when low on bullets, or have to contend with corpses who will revive themselves on a whim. If there's a system or way to anticipate these revivals, I never figured it out. You'll never feel safe.

Signalis review - Elster talks to a dying woman slimped on the floor in dim lighting, saying: I'm looking for this woman.'m looking for this woman.
Signalis will spend hours establishing rules only to upend them, breaking even its own continuity. Dream or memory sequences bleed into the real world and it's very unclear where one ends and the other begins. I always found an elegant internal logic behind these twists. Things that seem like minor inconveniences, like being shunted to the main menu upon a death, become just another way to tell the story. A great deal of thought has clearly gone into populating the game with all manner of tools to pull the rug from under players. It made me seek the truth like searching for solid ground in shifting sands, propelled to the point of being willing to drop down into a blood stained hole in the earth, driven by each precious clue towards just what the hell is going on.
Each subplot and allusion is a tragedy, all overlapping, imparting meaning to the other. Where is the line between love and obsession? Determination and ignorance?
I imagine diehard fans will be picking over every line of dialogue, visual cue and choice reference for some time. Signalis is steeped in influences, ranging from Ghost in The Shell to Stanley Kubrick and everything in between. A centrepiece of the plot is The King in Yellow by Robert W.Chambers, explicitly tying the game to its literary forebears. Signalis wears those inspirations on its sleeve but never do they override its own identity, they simply help frame its events. I've been left thinking about its own moments, not those of the works it touches upon. Funny, for a game all about struggling to hold on to your sense of self.

Signalis review - sneaking through a dark, grey room with four pillars and several ghostly enemies with swords and shields Signalis review - a very dark, futuristic train carriage with faded red seats and one character sat alone at the end, skyscrapers outside.

Each subplot and allusion is a tragedy, all overlapping, imparting meaning to the other. Where is the line between love and obsession? Determination and ignorance? As Signalis's cast of characters struggle to trust their own reality or even their own memories, these emotions all become intertwined into something monstrous, unreconcilable. In all of that horror, Elster remains a rock. Stoic characters run the risk of being dull but that's balanced here by subtle hints towards her inner thoughts, while her determination to find the woman she loves is a comfort, especially when faced with futility. Like Elster, I never stopped fighting to reach the end of her mission. Hope is all you have.
Through its formidable scares Signalis lets light into the wounds of a horrifying existence. This is a game about more than overcoming living nightmares. It is about choosing to persist in the face of an uncaring universe, about continuing to stand when your identity and your body is dehumanised. Science fiction and survival horror that uses the past to craft something thoroughly modern. Like a dying star, Signalis burns bright: beautiful, terrifying and unmissable.

Not bad, but why this awful obsession with PS1 retrograde graphics? It's endemic. Why can't indie devs create their own damn style?
I fuckin love it. Also reminded me of copper dreams before they turned it into whatever mechajammer is

lightbane

Arcane
It's easier to make shitty graphics and pretend they're PS1 and/or "pixel art", than making something good. I'm hoping indies evnetually jump to PS2 level of graphics at some point.

toughasnails

I'm definitely picking this up. Here's hoping that Conscript will turn out just as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom