Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Souls-Likes?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I know it's more a rogue-like, but what do people think of Dead Cells?

Movement feels great but I ended up shelving it because of its segmented/randomized levels. It reminded me Binding of Isaac but less reliant on luck for items. I'd say pick it up on sale since it's pretty cheap to begin with.

I love Dead Cells, but it's not very soulslike, apart maybe from the fact that it does have combat. Combat is very fast and fluid, whereupon to me soulslike often feel slower and more weighty. Also for comparion's sake I found Salt and Soul harder in the beginning but far easier the further you got. Dead Cells is the reverse, easy beginning but gets progressively harder (but depending on your path through the game a lot of difficulty can be mitigated, which souslike have, but then so do a lot of other games). That said, if you don't activate any of the boss cells, once you've learned your way around its not that hard, like most roguelikes/roguelites

Falksi

Arcane
Lords of The Fallen

Way easier than Dark Souls, but just as much fun with some fucking cracking armour sets.

8398d37a9b92cc86801a21eb1a9284e1.jpg

CelJaded-Lords-of-the-Fallen-Gameplay-2.jpg

Incredible it hasn't been mentioned yet. It's WAY closer to a Souls experience compared to the likes of Sekiro.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You say you want to play a souls-like, but you haven't played Demon's Souls and Bloodborne yet. What is wrong with you?

If the console is the problem, borrow a PS4 from someone and play the best FS game since DS1.

I'm a PC purist. I haven't owned a console since SNES. I did try "Demon Souls" on emulator, but the last time I tried, it still ran like shit.
I feel you, but Bloodborne is a masterpiece that nobody should ignore, especially souls fans. Regarding the single player experience, no other souls-like can even hope to compete with it, except maybe DS1. Probably Sekiro is just as polished, but it doesn't stand a chance against Bloodborne atmosphere.

If you are literally allergic to consoles and risk dieing by touching one, okay, avoid putting your life in danger. But there are no other good reasons to miss out on Bloodborne.

Falksi

Arcane
You say you want to play a souls-like, but you haven't played Demon's Souls and Bloodborne yet. What is wrong with you?

If the console is the problem, borrow a PS4 from someone and play the best FS game since DS1.

I'm a PC purist. I haven't owned a console since SNES. I did try "Demon Souls" on emulator, but the last time I tried, it still ran like shit.
I feel you, but Bloodborne is a masterpiece that nobody should ignore, especially souls fans. Regarding the single player experience, no other souls-like can even hope to compete with it, except maybe DS1. Probably Sekiro is just as polished, but it doesn't stand a chance against Bloodborne atmosphere.

If you are literally allergic to consoles and risk dieing by touching one, okay, avoid putting your life in danger. But there are no other good reasons to miss out on Bloodborne.

As one of the Codex's most frontrunning consoletards, I totally disagree.

I fucking hated Bloodborne. Atmosphere was great, but gameplay and level design were way too fluffy, weak & light compared to the more weighty feel I prefer, which you get in the likes of Dark Souls.

Don't get me wrong, I can see why people enjoyed it, but I spent WAY more time on a mate's PC finishing Lords of The Fallen than on my PS4 with Bloodborne.

If Dark-Souls like gameplay is the primary focus, i'd avoid both Bloodborne (reasons above) & Sekiro (too much Stealth, one weapon is dull) & opt for Lords of The Fallen instead. Just depends how you're wired.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

I fucking hated Bloodborne. Atmosphere was great, but gameplay and level design were way too fluffy, weak & light compared to the more weighty feel I prefer, which you get in the likes of Dark Souls.

Don't get me wrong, I can see why people enjoyed it, but I spent WAY more time on a mate's PC finishing Lords of The Fallen than on my PS4 with Bloodborne.

If Dark-Souls like gameplay is the primary focus, i'd avoid both Bloodborne (reasons above) & Sekiro (too much Stealth, one weapon is dull) & opt for Lords of The Fallen instead. Just depends how you're wired.
I try to respect almost any opinion, but this is too much. Lords of the Fallen has nothing to do with Bloodborne and Sekiro, they are in two completely differente leagues. Lords of the Fallen is a child's attempt at making another Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro are two masterpieces of the genre.
I understand your point: combat in Bloodborne and Sekiro is way different from the DS1 experience, because it clearly lacks the "weight" you are referring to (while Lords of the Fallen revolves all around that weight). However, Bloodborne and Sekiro are almost perfect games (to me they are a 9/10 and an 8/10), while Lords of the Fallen struggles to reach a passing grade.

Given Juan_Carlo ratings and preferences (5/5 to Sekiro and Nioh, while he finds The Surge too clunky and slow), I think Bloodborne is still better suited to his needs. I mean, Lords of the Fallen is the slowest and the clunkiest of them all.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Starts with saying how he respects almost all opinions, then goes on to disrespect someones opinion. Nicely done

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Starts with saying how he respects almost all opinions, then goes on to disrespect someones opinion. Nicely done
Well, that was my point and the point of the "almost".
But I'm sorry if I sounded disrespectful towards him, it wasn't my intent. I can understand what he means, Bloodborne completely ditched that weight that was pivotal in previous souls' combat systems.

Falksi

Arcane

I try to respect almost any opinion, but this is too much. Lords of the Fallen has nothing to do with Bloodborne and Sekiro, they are in two completely differente leagues. Lords of the Fallen is a child's attempt at making another Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro are two masterpieces of the genre.
I understand your point: combat in Bloodborne and Sekiro is way different from the DS1 experience, because it clearly lacks the "weight" you are referring to (while Lords of the Fallen revolves all around that weight). However, Bloodborne and Sekiro are almost perfect games (to me they are a 9/10 and an 8/10), while Lords of the Fallen struggles to reach a passing grade.

Given Juan_Carlo ratings and preferences (5/5 to Sekiro and Nioh, while he finds The Surge too clunky and slow), I think Bloodborne is still better suited to his needs. I mean, Lords of the Fallen is the slowest and the clunkiest of them all.

That's the thing though aint it, it's down to personal preference.

I thrived on Lords of The Fallen. Yeah it's "Dark Souls Lite" when it comes to difficulty, but it has all the elements I enjoy from a DS games - meaty, satisfying combat, great atmosphere, superb armour & weapon sets, good level design, some groovy bosses.

Basically, if you want an easy Dark Souls go for Lords of The Fallen, but if you want a tough challenge, but which plays differently Sekiro & Bloodborne are the way to go.

But outright dismissing LOTF is just daft.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I just finished "The Surge." I got it for $3 from a key trader. You men almost put me off from playing it, but I really ended up liking it. The combat is fairly solid, although it's definitely a slower experience than Souls. The weapons are pretty good too. The only negative about the game is the level design. Most of the levels are fucking pain in the asses to navigate as the environments look very "same-ish" and the levels are MASSIVE and maze-like. The bosses are pretty good too, although there's only 5.

The DLC was brilliant, though. By far the best level in the game. It gives me hope that Surge 2 will be as good as the DLC.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Dark Souls 1 wins because of sheer level design superiority compared to everything else, throwing that away for a boring hub based level design is the worst decision From soft has ever done, also pose and armour are not complete garbage so gameplay is more varied.
Aside from that, Bloodborne has a really cool setting and honestly it's worth playing even for that alone.
The non From-soft "souls-like" tend to be whatever most of the time, salt and sanctuary was gucci though.

Eastwood

Educated
Yeah Salt and Sanctuary perfectly captures the souls feeling and translates it into 2D, while also adding more metroidvania elements, which I quite like.

For 3D nothing really comes close to the FROM titles, but Nioh is probably my favorite. It has a great fluid combat system that is no simple carbon copy of DS. However its loot system and repetitive levels distract a bit from the experience imo.

Odinson

Novice
I just finished "The Surge." I got it for $3 from a key trader. You men almost put me off from playing it, but I really ended up liking it. The combat is fairly solid, although it's definitely a slower experience than Souls. The weapons are pretty good too. The only negative about the game is the level design. Most of the levels are fucking pain in the asses to navigate as the environments look very "same-ish" and the levels are MASSIVE and maze-like. The bosses are pretty good too, although there's only 5.

The DLC was brilliant, though. By far the best level in the game. It gives me hope that Surge 2 will be as good as the DLC.

The Surge 2 is even better. The best 3d souls-like game. (I say is even better than Dark Souls 3)

Level design loops around and have a ton of verticality, and the game do not introduce teleport between the stations, making you learn the map and the shortcuts.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Why the fuck are there so few mentions of the best soulslike by far, which is Hollow Knight?

If you havent played this game as a Souls fan already, drop everything right now and play it. Then come back here.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Why the fuck are there so few mentions of the best soulslike by far, which is Hollow Knight?
because it's a metroidvania? The only souls-like thing about HK is corpse run (a rather useless mechanic tbh).

Well thats a pretty arbitrary distinction given the fact that world and level design in Souls games is very reminiscent to metroidvanias. Hollow Knight has semi-linear "tube-like" progression, rather slow and methodical combat that emphasizes reading and reacting to enemy attack patterns, a souls-like currency system with corpse runs, very souls-like atmosphere with mysterious setpieces and npcs, level design is often designed around different biomes with enviromental hazards and traps, it has secret passages/treasures, sequence breaking etc etc.

Yeah it has a simplified equipment and character progression system, but it plays very much like a Souls game with some added platforming(which is not too hard if you dont want to 100% it). It is also an outstanding game if i didnt make that already clear.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

In many aspects, particularly related to combat mechanics, The Surge 2 is better.
But I liked the environments and atmosphere in part 1 more. Way too much backtracking and going forth and back in part 2.

Doktor Best

Arcane

To be honest, i am pretty torn on Bloodborne.

The level and artdesign is outstanding of course, enemy mobs, bosses and encounters extremely well crafted ,the new combat is designed to pump up the stakes and therefor the intensity.

BUT it has also aliasing from hell, the framedrops hurt its frantic combat more than the other souls likes, the reliance on dodging clashes with all the clutter that is present in some levels and leads to frustrating deaths because your dodge got stuck on some tiny bit of decoration or edge, camera seems more wonky than in other souls games in some bossfights, the healing system is more cumbersome than estus and brings nothing to the table and sometimes the game was overly vague with where you should go next.

I am still disappointed that the only time the have tried a semi linear approach was with Dark Souls 1. It remains my favorite for that reason alone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom