Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Knights of the Chalice finally on Steam and GOG

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
And it's with one toughness feat. He has 10 con (elf penalty) and since I'd re-rolled my stats I chose to not get max hp per lvl. Plenty of 1 hp/ lvl and only one 4hp/lvl. 16 con will give me a bonus of +2, right?
Is the toughness feat hp per level or like a flat +4 like it is in d20? At any rate, 10 con is miserable for a mage. Warriors can skimp with their bigger hit dice, d4 hit dice only give 2.5 hp on average, so 28 is about normal for 10 con. 16 will give you an extra 3 per level, pretty much doubling that.

As for that fight/area, I can't remember it well. That's the dungeon with all the gnolls? I had 3 mages so it was a fireball steamroll. It's obviously too late now, but initiative is the second most important thing for a mage after hp precisely so they get to alpha strike enemies instead of the other way around. Put your next feat towards that if you haven't already and get your mage some decent AC even if it gives him 5 or 10% spell fail chance. Better to fail a spell 1 in 10 times than to die to an arrow 3 in 10 times. I'm not sure what sort of tactics fit a 2 warrior party, but I'd assume the battles last a lot longer so stuff like web,grease, wall of stone and haste are all top priorities.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
A mage with 28 hp in that fight is doomed to die everytime. You could try and equip a displacement cloack and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Norfleet

I did a thing on this once where I bored everyone to death with it by just repeatedly nuking everything to death with fireball spam.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I've cleared the Orc Fort and the Spider Cave. The journal tells me to go through the pass, but I can mess around with the eastern locations I guess.

My bad, maybe it's a sign i should try the new update.
Well, you got good advices already, +CON, initiative (improve ini feat), blur/displacement cloak and AC.

Also, target enemy archers first as your mage will always be their main target.
You chose the right path trying not to cheese the game but i'm afraid 10 base CON for your mage was a step too far, maybe starting from scratch isn't a bad idea because there will be plenty of fights where your mage isn't going to survive the first turn, i'm afraid.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I've cleared the Orc Fort and the Spider Cave. The journal tells me to go through the pass, but I can mess around with the eastern locations I guess.

My bad, maybe it's a sign i should try the new update.
Well, you got good advices already, +CON, initiative (improve ini feat), blur/displacement cloak and AC.

Also, target enemy archers first as your mage will always be their main target.
You chose the right path trying not to cheese the game but i'm afraid 10 base CON for your mage was a step too far, maybe starting from scratch isn't a bad idea because there will be plenty of fights where your mage isn't going to survive the first turn, i'm afraid.
My first playthrough I went with a single mage and I managed to deal with the various ambushes only because I pumped his constitution as much as I could, with a base 16 and giving him always the best constitution boosting items and the best saving throws boosting mantle. Otherwise, the rain of arrows at the beginng of each ambush would have been enough to obliterate him every single time, especially when they started spamming death arrows.

visions

Arcane
My party was K K C W and my wizard was a total glass cannon with low starting constitution, often she gained 1 hp per level up. I beat Tyrannixus with that party but was burnt out by that time and didn't try the final bonus fight that much, so I didn't beat that. Not sure if I could anyway.

When my cleric got the resurrection spell, I often had to resurrect my wizard a few times per battle in tougher battles. I remember that somewhere around the sand pit area I had to play with 3 chars for a while (I think it was after the sand pit though). IIRC my wizard was turned to stone by a medusa or something and I didn't have means to reverse it then (and couldn't go back to town for a while) but I thought fuck it and pushed on instead of reloading. Was pretty fun in hindsight. I do remember that the sand pit fight was a royal pain in the ass and one of the hardest fights in the game for my party. I don't remember how I beat it though, cause it was around 10 years ago.

IMO the difficulty peaks around that point in the game, the content after that area (until Tyrannixus) gets significantly easier. At least that was the case for me.

Just loaded up my final save from after beating Tyrannixus to check my wizard's constitution, it's 12 by that time, but 6 comes from the Amulet of Health, so her natural CON is 6. I may have increased it a few times when levelling up so her starting CON may have been even lower. She has 88 HP when the Amulet of Health is equipped and 28 HP when I unequip the amulet.

I couldn't be arsed to reroll much when I made my wizard, so when I got a roll with max INT and good DEX, I thought fuck it and went along with it.

TL;DR: It's possible to reach and beat Tyrannixus when you only have one wizard with abysmal CON but I'm not so sure about the final bonus fight.

Last edited:

Norfleet

My first playthrough I went with a single mage and I managed to deal with the various ambushes only because I pumped his constitution as much as I could, with a base 16 and giving him always the best constitution boosting items and the best saving throws boosting mantle. Otherwise, the rain of arrows at the beginng of each ambush would have been enough to obliterate him every single time, especially when they started spamming death arrows.
You could just use that anti-death spell, I forget the the name, to negate all those death-based attacked. That was in the game, right? It's been years. I personally don't recall using it, mostly because my solution to everything was "nuke all the things".

I mean, they *SAY* Evocation is a terribly inefficient way to kill enemies compared to save-or-die, but in Vidya Game form, I have NEVER found that to be true: Enemies tend to be frequently immune to save-or-die based attacks, but very few enemies are just arbitrarily immune to damage. If an enemy has damage immunity at all, it will be thematic to type and thus highly predictable. So between reliance on hit-or-miss attacks which may simply never work no matter how many times you try it, vs. damage, which pretty much always works if you use enough, I tend to just nuke everything.

Firepower: The difference between life and death.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
You could just use that anti-death spell, I forget the the name, to negate all those death-based attacked. That was in the game, right? It's been years. I personally don't recall using it, mostly because my solution to everything was "nuke all the things".
Yeah, but, since you can't pre-buff, your mage still needs to survive the first round and, during ambushes, the entire enemy group gets to attack before you at least once.

Naraya

Arcane
I grabbed this game and while it's adorable, the default font is a creation of a clearly deranged person. For anyone interested, I've created a replacement which makes reading text actually bearable (IMO). Just look at this comparison and decide for yourself.

DISCLAIMER: This is only for 960x720 window resolution. The text will be garbled in small window or in full screen.

8mF7n4w.png

To use this font, drop files from the archive to GRAPHICS directory, replacing the original ones (make a backup first!).

Download link: https://ufile.io/f1ft63y3

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The part with giants is the most boring sheit since the ice caves with big bugs from IWD. I'm totally overpowered for those gnoll fights I keep getting. The Iron Golem was the only challenge for the last few hours. My mage no longer has 28hp at lvl 9. He has about 80. I have so much hp no one can deal with me, and if they can, I have my cleric. I keep fighting basic grunts, healing with my unlimited wand of healing, and progressing further.
Are there any more interesting, tactically challenging fights awaiting me, or is it? Because I'm serously considering going back to the storyfag camp right about now.

Level scaling is needed. Jebus.

I wasn't gridning, I'd skipped about 80% of ambushes, I have random hp per lvl...

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
The part with giants is the most boring sheit since the ice caves with big bugs from IWD. I'm totally overpowered for those gnoll fights I keep getting. The Iron Golem was the only challenge for the last few hours. My mage no longer has 28hp at lvl 9. He has about 80. I have so much hp no one can deal with me, and if they can, I have my cleric. I keep fighting basic grunts, healing with my unlimited wand of healing, and progressing further.
Are there any more interesting, tactically challenging fights awaiting me, or is it? Because I'm serously considering going back to the storyfag camp right about now.

I wasn't gridning, I'd skipped about 80% of ambushes, I have random hp per lvl...
Yeah, the second half is definitely easier, but there are some interesting encounters later on. Keep playing, it's worth it.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

The giants gets trivial at some point but there's plenty of challenges ahead, if you feel like you're the boss of it all, just keep a separate save and go to the most eastern tower.

And let us all pray for your soul ...

Be aware that if you make it, you'll out-level half of the remaining content when you get out so you can always get back to your previous save, even without this, you'll get some nice challenges, dragons and golems everywhere, Vrooks and shit.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I just finished this and it was really fucking good. I sure hope the sequel actually gets released even though the tabletop token appearance ain't my thing. Screw that optional battle though, I'd have to replay the entire game with a specially made party to pull that off.

What are some other games that are like this? The Steam Deep Dive is 100% useless and now I want more. I was thinking about Dark Sun since I never finished that, but there has to be more.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I just finished this and it was really fucking good. I sure hope the sequel actually gets released even though the tabletop token appearance ain't my thing. Screw that optional battle though, I'd have to replay the entire game with a specially made party to pull that off.

What are some other games that are like this? The Steam Deep Dive is 100% useless and now I want more. I was thinking about Dark Sun since I never finished that, but there has to be more.
You can beat the last optional battle with 2 knights. I wasted 10 hours trying, but it's definitely possible.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

You certainly should replay Shattered Lands.
You probably already played ToEE + Temple+ but if you didn't ... The short Icewind Dale conversion demo in toEE engine is interesting too. (Only one area + a cave besides the starting village)

Pool of Radiance - Ruins of Myth Drannor is decent, if you can make it work. (some config would get the invisible character bug, i do and i couldn't fix it)
Prelude to Darkness is really good if you have a high tolerance to the "return to desktop" feature (and save often)
Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager; i love Shattered Lands but couldn't get past the beginning with this one, not sure why though, you should try it though.

curds

Magister
Didn't want to start up a whole new thread for this, but did anyone else encounter this bug?

One of my knights seems to be taking damage when I load the game. Each time I load a particular savegame, he has around 5 less HP than he did when I saved. If I overwrite that save and then load again, he loses even more.

Only seems to happen in the temple at Vanicia, before the Tyranixxus fight.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Has anyone been able to play the steam version of KotC via Steam Play (Proton 5.0-9)? I tried the free demo and it does not launch (steam changes status to "Running" but then the game window is not brought up as if it wasn't started, though it is showing in running processes), though downloaded from the official site it seems to be working fine (using wine 5.12). Is there a way to make the steam version work on Linux?

xuerebx

Erudite
Unfortunately I can't help as I play it on regular Steam. Now that someone has bumped this thread, I also have a few questions.

1. Are corpses of any use?
  2. What about gems such as moonstones? Do I just sell these or are they used in crafting?
  3. Can I just destroy letters once I read them or can they be used for quests?
Thanks

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Can't help you either Tse Tse

I also have a few questions.

1. Are corpses of any use?
  2. What about gems such as moonstones? Do I just sell these or are they used in crafting?
  3. Can I just destroy letters once I read them or can they be used for quests?
Thanks

You need one corpse in the spider cave for a quest.
I don't think you need any generic corpse outside of this.

You just need xp and gold to craft.

Probably once your quest log is updated or you brought the letter to the right NPC, i struggled with the same problem and not just in KotC, it'd be so much better if cRPG stored letter separately, not taking regular inventory space or just updating your quest log and destroying them automatically...

xuerebx

Erudite
Cheers man!! I can finally sell all the gemstones which took up the whole inventory space of my cleric. I went through the whole orc stockade with limited inventory space as I thought the gems had other uses. I'll also keep the important looking letters for now and destroy the others.

Also, first time I'm using Steam achievements to track my progress. Once I realised that there's a "defeat X without ever using scribe scroll feat" achievement for each boss, I'm restraining myself from using said feat. Going well so far, hope I can keep up the momentum*. You were right in the W8 thread - KotC is really awesome. I understand where the combat-simulator sentiment comes from. :)

* I must have reloaded around 30 times for the second fight in the game (when the orcs breached the fort). Nearly gave up, but after winning it no other fight has troubled me as much as that one.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
* I must have reloaded around 30 times for the second fight in the game (when the orcs breached the fort). Nearly gave up, but after winning it no other fight has troubled me as much as that one.

The eastern tower provides way more challenge if you challenge it too early (meaning not end-game) it really feels like a taste of KotC 2 so it's worth taking it on around lvl 15, saving before (you can't get out until you clear it) and then reload your save when you're done or late game doesn't offer any challenge anymore.

Also the Vrook from the spider caves and the extra battle after completing the game are some other "impossible" fights.

Last edited:

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Has anyone been able to play the steam version of KotC via Steam Play (Proton 5.0-9)? I tried the free demo and it does not launch (steam changes status to "Running" but then the game window is not brought up as if it wasn't started, though it is showing in running processes), though downloaded from the official site it seems to be working fine (using wine 5.12). Is there a way to make the steam version work on Linux?
I have an update on this. It seems that you can play the steam version of KoTC Demo outside of steam, that is, you can copy the game files into a separate (not managed by steam) wine prefix and run it from there. Plus, it turns out the game is playable using Proton 4.11-13 (the previous version). Doesn't mean you can safely purchase the full version and expect it to work on Linux just the same, though.

Last edited:

xuerebx

Erudite
Finished the game clocking in 41 hours - it was a pretty enjoyable experience. Started out pretty hard but once my 2 mages unlocked a good amount of spells I no longer had to worry about running out of spells. The first orc fortress and the tower were the hardest parts. Last battle took a huge amount of reloads too but I was getting unlucky on the rolls. Also managed to never used the feat "scribe scroll".

Apart from the combat, the game is fairly simple in all other aspects however.

https://steamcommunity.com/stats/1083760/leaderboards/3485317?sr=16
And I'm ranking 22 on the leaderboard. Right behind you JarlFrank! :cool:

Onto KOTC 2...once it's stable, and releases on Steam.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How exactly is leaderboard score calculated? By achievements? I wasn't even aware the leaderboard was a thing, and there I am, in the top 20 :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom