Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
EDIT: Before trying out Divine War I recommend you to check out the Divinity Unleashed overhaul, I talk about it in the next post. You may prefer it's changes, specially in relation to the armor system and the workings of status effects.

Like I said in the DMC thread, I recentely started playing D:OS 2 again but with a considerable amount of gameplay Mods.
From what little I played (up until Alexander's battle to get out of Fort Joy), the main issue with the game were some ridicoulous decisions in the mechanics. But unlike Skyrim or Oblivion, these flaws aren't so fundamental as to the only way to "fixing" them would be to completely remake the whole game.

So, for anyone interested, here's a good list of Mods to the DE:

Quality of Life improvements said:

Gameplay changes said:
8 Max AP (DE) - while there is a gift with the same function, it only works for "Hero" characters (meaning custom characters don't get 8 AP), this mod is essentially a better alternative than the "offical" lol
Initiative-Based Turn Order (DE) - Requires Norbyte Script Extender (I talk about it in the next post) - Highly Recommended
50% Less EXP Gain (Definitive Edition)
Party Size Evolved
No Bloat Tactician (DE) (+25% Vit, +10% Acc)
Odinblade's Enhanced Summon Scaling (DE)

Complete reworks said:

Optional Fun & Tweaks said:

Divine War is the most important of all the mods, as it's the one that does the most dramatic changes to the gameplay.
The author has a short explanation the changes in the mod page. But here's a more in-deph document that details everything this mod does:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WVpHpzv_giAuVb57Al2zSv9V62210UwsIUN-68hi3aw/edit

EDIT: Once again I recommend you to see Divinity Unleashed in the next post before deciding each one to use (my recommendation even goes to DU).

These mods are all in the Steam Workshop, so for those of you that don't possess the Steam version, here's a site that let's you download those mods:

https://www.steamworkshopdownloader.io/

Overall (without counting the optional mods), they just take up around 200Mb of space, so nothing that takes long to download.

Mods go into > \Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\Mods\

Lastly, but perhaps the most important aspect here, is how you have to set the Mod Order on the main menu (this step is imperative for everything to work):

Mod Order said:
DOS2 - Divine War
Party Size Evolved
OdinCore: Mod Services
The remaning mods in whatever order you want to
Odinblade's Class Mods (just needs to be before Initiave Fix but after OdinCore)
The remaning mods in whatever order you want to
Initiative-Based Turn Order
Divine War - Compatibility Patch
DW - Odin - Compatibility Patch
UniqueUniques

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The mod author of the Divine War Overhaul has apparentely released a new improved overhaul in the end of last year: Divinity Unleashed

Like the previous mod it touches all mechanics and values of the game, but this time not only are the changes more extensive but due to the help of the Norbyte Extender some systems function in ways that weren't possible before.
I think the reworks of the mod will be to the liking of most codexers:

Mod Features said:
  • Armour Overhaul: No longer acting as two separate HP bars, the armour you build now behaves as static damage reduction. Hybrid parties are better than ever before.
  • Status Simplicity: No status, even from mods, is resisted by armour or any other kind of mechanic. Instead, statuses from both the base game and other mods have been rebalanced for immediate application.
  • New mechanics: Cooldown reduction, status extension and more add a fresh coat of paint to the gameplay you love.
  • Lightweight and Immersive: Divinity Unleashed's features are unintrusive and let you pile on as many mods as you want, letting you play the game your way. (And yes, that means no more random bosses)
  • Turns Galore: Turn-skipping status effects have been made scarce, allowing for faster-paced combat. Even modded statuses have been predictively altered to fit this style.
  • Build Freedom: Offering more build freedom than ever before, Divinity Unleashed puts hybrid parties, healers and tanks on even footing with a comprehensive overhaul of character progression.
  • Not in the mood for cheese?: The game’s craziest exploits have been reined in for a tighter, more challenging experience. Telekinetic instant kills, infinite resurrection chains and sniping enemies miles away outside of combat have been scripted into oblivion. Get ready for a challenge!
  • Superior Balance: Thanks to an in-depth reworking of core game skills and mechanics, the Damage Meta is a thing of the past. With an even playing field, any sufficiently planned build is viable.
  • Might and Magic: Enemy resistances are squashed down to size and bosses no longer generate immunities on higher difficulties, gaining other buffs instead. Witches and wizards alike are more viable than ever.
  • Permanent Summons: Summons now have infinite duration, but while active, the skill used to summon them remains permanently on cooldown during combat. Summons are encouraged to cast before combat and keep alive.
  • FULL SAVE COMPATIBILITY: Thinking about trying this, but don't want to start a new game? Go ahead and slap it on an existing save file. This mod won't bite!

These are the general overview for a more detailed documentation the author has provided this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qnECB8DZVt7s_O2_TbEbGzipfdg1zLqtj9mtFNyaFFk/edit#

Like I said before the mod requires the Norbyte Script Extender to work.
Heres a guide on how to install it.

How does this affect the mod list I wrote in the above post? In no way really.
All the mods I mentioned above and the respective Mod Order remain the same and free of conflicts.
The only changes to make are replacing the Divine War Mod with Divinity Unleashed and removing the "Divine War - Compatibility Patch" and "DW - Odin - Compatibility Patch" from the list.
Divinity Unleashed is highly compatible so don't worry about conflicts but still respect the Mod Order just to be safe.
Another perk of this mod is full save compatibility so there's no need to start a new game to try it out.

Another mod from the same author is Menace Tanking System.
This mod allows characters to generate Menace. The character in a party with the highest Menace is the character who, 9 times out of 10, will be the priority target for AI-controlled enemies.
It was originally designed for Divinity Unleash so don't worry about incompatibilities (just load it after DU).
EDIT: If you think this Menace system scalling with Wits is ridicoulous here's this mod to make it scalle with Constitution instead (load this one instead of the original Menace mod obviously).

Finally for those looking for a higher challenge, the same author has also created the Hell Mode - True Honour Difficulty.
Main changes: playable characters can permanentely die (even your avatar); cannot flee from combat via waypoint travel; loading a save during combat kills you instantly.

For those who don't know how to get these mods I'll repeat what I said in my previous post:

These mods are all in the Steam Workshop, so for those of you that don't possess the Steam version, here's a site that let's you download those mods.

https://www.steamworkshopdownloader.io/

Overall, they just take up around 200Mb of space, so nothing that takes long to download.

And that's all!
Hope this may be of help.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Found this custom Adventure today.
It's a recreation of the a 4th edition DnD campaign called Pyramid of Shadows.

Also here's a fun gauntlet of challenges - Arena Challenges.
Pretty much multiple high level fights against various custom Bosses.

Since these are "Adventure" mods (user made campgains for DOS2), all the mods in first 2 posts work with no problems.

Here's also a custom map for the Arena game mode - Arena TheCaveOfSource

For those wanting to try out the GM Mode here's a toolkit, some map packs and even a campaign: Chronicles of Divinity; JRavens GM Toolkit; TheCaveOfSource; the various Honhenheim Maps; DemiTiq; Eisfortress; WotV Campaign Pack; Gogots-MAPS; The Wizards Sanctum and The Lie of Succession (Campaign).

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I already have the link to "No Bloat Tactian" on the original post.
Besides Divinty Unleashed much like Divine War has a different Vitallity progression from the main game. I tested on some high level encounters (level 30) and enemies with a well developed Constitution had around 1800 of HP - plus take into consideration even the weakest attacks do around 200 dmg.
Finally since the armor system in Divinity Unleashed acts as it always should (damage reduction) Vitallity isn't that important in the long term anymore.

Overall I think this new mod realizes the potential of Divinity's combat.

Codex Year of the Donut
FWIW, I'm pretty sure mods have a major impact on loading times, it's not noticeable at first but becomes very noticeable in act 3/4. I'd have to do a mod-free run to test it out and I'm too lazy to do it.

Onionguy

Educated
But what's the point of all this... that mod list looks like a lengthy recipe for some refined french cuisine.

What's the fucking reason behind putting so much effort into making this distasteful shit somewhat palatable.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Played to level five with this setup, initially with just four, then went six-man since Tactician Unleashed surfaces are so punishing. Six-man is such a relief as you're not constantly switching between companions. Unleashed is solid, the initiative mod is a clusterfuck unfortunately as initiative is the main flaw in the base game.

Restarting with the setup recommended here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1981943351

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Cool list.
Would like to try out the "Summon Rework" and "Additional Summons" mods, but I afraid I would have to restart the game.
Although there are some odd choices like a enemy scalling mod and another that makes companions AI controlled. Why?

the initiative mod is a clusterfuck unfortunately

It's a bit wonky but it does work and that's enough for me, simply because I couldn't stand how it functions in the base game.

Desiderius

Patron
It's a bit wonky but it does work and that's enough for me, simply because I couldn't stand how it functions in the base game.

It's buggy as hell. Several battles where one toon got multiple turns before others got any.

Not using all the mods on that list, and am using most of yours.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wonder if this game can be salvaged. The retarded initiative was for me the nail to the coffin (alongside the armor system)...

If the other things are improved, I guess it will still have the sad, number bloated itemization with equipment changes every 2nd level.

Anyway, I look forward to your findings Desiderius!

catfood

AGAIN
Wonder if this game can be salvaged. The retarded initiative was for me the nail to the coffin (alongside the armor system)...

If the other things are improved, I guess it will still have the sad, number bloated itemization with equipment changes every 2nd level.

The mod I posted fixes the numbers bloat.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That is neat. An important start. But does it make the itemization interesting?

Desiderius

Patron

It's targeted against everything we've identified as a weakness. I've just started and the random enemy skills and abilities are already nuts. So at least the faceroll is better. I haven't added all the new classes yet.

There are three mods in that list that improve itemization and already seeing an effect.

Desiderius

Patron
That is neat. An important start. But does it make the itemization interesting?
No, it just means that you won't have to completely switch gear every level because the numbers don't grow as much. But it's all still randomly generated.

There's a mod which lets you level up your existing gear if you like it.

robinox

Educated
I'd like to respec but I'm still at Fort Joy island. I read that there is no way to do it until you get out of the island. I found a mod on steam that adds a respec item inside Fort Joy but it says: "This mod is deprecated and unsupported with the addition of Larian's new Respec Mirror". I searched for this official respec mirror but I can't find it anywhere: where/how can I download it/add it to the game? If it does indeed exists, can it be added on an ongoing campaign?
Thanks

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The "official" respect mirror on Fort Joy is a Gift Bag (mods that Larian has made a an official free add-on). You have to open the Gift Bag menu on-game to activate them.

SoupNazi

The "no bloat" mod just makes the game extremely easy. Like, ridiculously so. And the game is already too easy on tactician if you've played through it once.

I like Divine War, the Initiative fix, and all of Odinblade's class mods. Some of the QoL mods like leveling up equipment etc. are cool too. I would steer away from the "enemies are not psychic" mod, again, makes it laughably easy especially if you're playing an undead.

The major problem of this game is that it forces you down a narrow path through the gargantuan level differences, in most acts you have to take a certain route in order to survive. But that's not solved by the bloat reduction, that just makes the doable fights ridiculously easy and the hard to impossible fights just easy to normal. It has a good story that should be experienced, and after that, the replayability is in the fights which should be kept difficult and to the level you should be at.

Desiderius

Patron
The "no bloat" mod just makes the game extremely easy. Like, ridiculously so. And the game is already too easy on tactician if you've played through it once.

I like Divine War, the Initiative fix, and all of Odinblade's class mods. Some of the QoL mods like leveling up equipment etc. are cool too. I would steer away from the "enemies are not psychic" mod, again, makes it laughably easy especially if you're playing an undead.

The major problem of this game is that it forces you down a narrow path through the gargantuan level differences, in most acts you have to take a certain route in order to survive. But that's not solved by the bloat reduction, that just makes the doable fights ridiculously easy and the hard to impossible fights just easy to normal. It has a good story that should be experienced, and after that, the replayability is in the fights which should be kept difficult and to the level you should be at.

One of the mods on the list I linked to is giving every mob insane abilities (especially combined with Divinity Unleashed tripling surface damage) to the extent to which I'll typically lose 1 to 3 toons in the first round of combat. On the other hand the harder the mob the better the rewards. On level fights doable but dicey, underleveled pretty brutal so far.

SoupNazi

I like the Epic encounters (or whatever it is called) mod better than those in your list combined.

Honestly, I wish AI in DOS2 was easier to mod, so that someone could finally make a mod that has the AI use "meta" skills and combinations. AI should never use a knockdown arrow if they see I'm at full physical armor, they should be using netherswap and teleport correctly to abuse mass corpse explosion, all the necro combos, apothesis, skin graft etc. It's not fun to get obliterated by an AI character so powerful that a comparable spell of yours just does 200 less damage, but on those very rare occasions where the AI does something genuinely clever, it almost feels like a real chess match.

If you compare the way fights happen in the arena mode (so between 2-8 equally leveled characters controlled by players) and in the game, there's always gonna be a stark difference. And while I don't expect AI to be as creative as a human, the truth is that over the years the game meta has been combed through 900 times over and we now know what is the most effective, but the AI doesn't make use of it at all. That to me is the only serious stain on the game, but I am a fan. It's by no means perfect, but the fact that the AI hasn't been updated to the knowledge unearthed by players is what I find disappointing.

Then again, that disappointment stems from the fact that the devs update the game even now, years after release - they just don't update it to my liking. If they haven't touched it since, my disappointment would probably be lesser.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom