Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Wesp5 so i read somewhere that the cab driver's files are with prefix caine,is that true mate?

Delterius

Arcane
My character lost his dad in a car crash, leading him down a path of self destructive drug consumption, casual sex and shopping at hot topic. The cabbie is just an ordinary person, one of many who ferried the neonate around for a petty buck.

But in our hero's mind there was this reliable father figure projected onto them, corrupted by the Blood into an image of the all-father. Bloodlines was actually the struggle between the Egos. A desire to conform and prosper via Cain, the rather business like choffeur, but also to rebel and, eventually, meet with the Final Death in Jack the pirate.

Needless to say, there never was a Jack either. This battle can be verified as 'Jack' helped the PC survive the ambush in Griffith Park by pure instinct, but it was 'Caine' who took the wheel as it were, ie, took control of the situation and patiently employed the Socratic Method (Ancient Greece was the most fatherly of civilizations) to coax an answer from his progeny and deliver them towards a future paved with the blood of their enemies.

In the end, the extremes of the human mind are reconciled and seen fraternizing on the Holywood hills, smoking some rather fat joints. Peace is reached, wether it be in the tranquility of Death or the firm certainty of oneself and the future.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That makes me think: Unlike the first game, this time the owner of the World of Darkness is also the publisher of the video game. So Bloodlines 2 might potentially do crazier things with the canon.

Wesp5

Arcane
Wesp5 so i read somewhere that the cab driver's files are with prefix caine,is that true mate?

Yes, the Cabbie's dialogue file is called Caine and he is also called Caine in the Python scripts and the maps themselves. So it's certainly not just a joke one of the developers pulled on the others! Also regarding to the question "And what exactly is he testing by empowering the PC?", you all overlook that he is testing the player too. Like what will a common freshly embraced vampire do if he gets such powers as the player has in the end? And both Cabbie and Jack even included a safety precaution for this, because if the player succumbs to the power the C4 explosion will kill and remove him.

Prime Junta

You know what'd be cool? If they built on the Bishop Vic questline, there could be a plaguebearer and it could break out into the general kine population and there could be a pandemic and everybody would need to stay locked in and there would be a general economic collapse and mass unemployment and and and

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Yes, the Cabbie's dialogue file is called Caine and he is also called Caine in the Python scripts and the maps themselves. So it's certainly not just a joke one of the developers pulled on the others! Also regarding to the question "And what exactly is he testing by empowering the PC?", you all overlook that he is testing the player too. Like what will a common freshly embraced vampire do if he gets such powers as the player has in the end? And both Cabbie and Jack even included a safety precaution for this, because if the player succumbs to the power the C4 explosion will kill and remove him.
You are over thinking it,it just an easter egg for the players to find,or part of some cut content.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
If that is true,then why are you even arguing? It is clear who the cab driver is.
Troika's intent is irrelevant when it's not their license, setting, characters.

Au contraire, as the creators of Bloodlines, their intent has the highest relevance when considered within the scope of Bloodlines. In the scope of the wider body of canon, I still prefer Bloodlines over the Gehenna novel.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here

You are over thinking it,it just an easter egg for the players to find,or part of some cut content.
you're confused, he's referring to the possibility of you opening the sarcophagus

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

you're confused, he's referring to the possibility of you opening the sarcophagus
I know what he is talking about,i have replayed the game quite a few times. Devs most likely put him in because he is cool and mysterious. Not because there some hidden meaning of testing the player and the protagonist lol. We are taking about people that made their dream game,and was called outer worlds. While the writer still wears fingerless gloves in his 40ies lol.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
lol why can't bloodlines just be non canon

Troika's intent is absolutely relevant to the plot of their own game. If they made Caine the cab driver, then he clearly is the cab driver, regardless of whether or not it breaks the lore.

Especially when new canon is straight trash.

Its why KOTOR 1 and 2 are the only old republic things and the new Disney stuff can fuck off and doesn't exist no matter how canon they call it

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here

I know what he is talking about,i have replayed the game quite a few times. Devs most likely put him in because he is cool and mysterious. Not because there some hidden meaning of testing the player and the protagonist lol. We are taking about people that made their dream game,and was called outer worlds. While the writer still wears fingerless gloves in his 40ies lol.
well, yeah, there's that, Bloodlines is not some great contribution to "tha canon" authored by people with due reverence, but a rollercoaster within the setting centered around the player experience, ultimately wowing the player with big daddy Caine's presence - even so, Caine was also intentionally built up to effect and purpose

you spend the game being manipulated by elders too absorbed with their own schemes while you, the player, are revealed the real manipulation at play with a wink and a nod

the writing in the game does toy with the idea that this is some sort of scheme to judge or test the local vampire society, and that you are either a blunt instrument in the scheme who's of no particular consequence or that you're instrumentalised to such effect specifically because you are young, unaffiliated and not set in your ways, with no sire to jerk you around, effectively through narrative aligning the player's motivation with the player character's - but at the same time it also does the "I am beyond your comprehension" bit in an attempt to leave Caine's reasons alien and vague and have it both ways, it just is what it is

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
but at the same time it also does the "I am beyond your comprehension" bit in an attempt to leave Caine's reasons alien and vague and have it both ways, it just is what it is

Cryptic maybe. But not beyond comprehension. Just pay attention to Beckett. Maaaaybe some more Noddist loredumps would be in order to make the comprehension of Caine/bbe easier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom