Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer's Pillars of Eternity Tabletop RPG

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We played PoE because it promised to be similar to old D&D videogames and we played it DESPITE its ruleset. I can't understand who the target of this rule system should be:
- D&D fans are not interested in a rule-intensive system like the one Josh is showing and, even if they are, they already have 3.5 and Pathfinder;
- PoE fans who aren't PnP players probably aren't interested in PnP at all.

Who is this game for, Josh? WHO?
If I had a twitter account, I would have replied this exact text to him.

These tweets give off the feeling of psychological self-therapy more than anything else.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Obviously it's for Pillars 3.
That was my next guess.

For our next trick, Josh Sawyer adapts his own PnP system for the computer RPG Pillars 3, by butchering all the interesting mechanics in order to thwart what he calls "degenerate gameplay".

For the third time in a row, gamers answer by remaining indifferent towards Pillars, claiming the mechanics needn't have been butchered, but skillfully adapted instead.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm sure it's therapeutic for him, his general vibe lately has been as if he suffers under terrible disappointment. I asked the question of for whom this PnP is quite a while back too.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sawyer's opinion is that if you want to use OGL for Eora then go for it. This system is for him.

When Feargus pitched me on the idea of doing the pen-and-paper game, I said, "I will do that if I can tell everyone up front that I'm going to do whatever I want; that it is not going to be class based; that it is not going to have a d20 base; that it is not going to be compatible with D&D; and that I will listen to people, but I am absolutely not going to bend over backward to make it fit their vision of what the game should be. He said, "That's fine."

So, I told people that, and then I started showing people the pen-and-paper rules, and some of them started getting really bent out of shape. I said, "Sorry you don't like it. I'm not changing it." Because that was the expectation: I said from the beginning that I was going to do whatever the hell I wanted.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's probably the worst possible thing he could've decided because he needs quality guidance more than anything else. But since it's for him and probably nobody else is going to play it, that's absolutely fine.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
We played PoE because it promised to be similar to old D&D videogames and we played it DESPITE its ruleset. I can't understand who the target of this rule system should be:
- D&D fans are not interested in a rule-intensive system like the one Josh is showing and, even if they are, they already have 3.5 and Pathfinder;
- PoE fans who aren't PnP players probably aren't interested in PnP at all.

Who is this game for, Josh? WHO?

Who doesn't want to go on an epic adventure through a fantasy world full of pwyrwwglra, xwalwrp, and fwltrgmpir using Rolemaster wannabe rules and a storyfag focus?

Last edited by a moderator:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

I have this professor in university that's incredibly passionate about his research. He can drone about this topic for hours. Writing in the whiteboard. Opening his old research notes (like really old, written with cursive on yellowish paper from his doctoral days old). The rant here and there about how modern society is doing agriculture wrong. He would then smile and excitedly and explain when we have certain questions.

Josh is giving me that kind of vibe on that stream. Maybe Feargus is just letting Josh do whatever when the company is making abomination like TOW, So long the old founding guy is happ yeah?

Kinda make me feel warm and sad at the same time, seeing passionate people like him in that condition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Funposter

Arcane
he's been streaming darklands on twitch and he still hasn't set up a roland MT-32 emulator, so everything sounds like farts. it's very upsetting.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

EYmf-v3UcAIoEug
EYmgDYLUYAAYFwp

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I knew Sawyer likes the American civil war but I didn't think he would just make Bleakwalkers founder the Native American Sherman.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom