Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Tiger

Learned

Zariusz

Arbiter
My current getup. Noble bow and kite shield on back. I don't care for the tier 6 swords maybe I'm a bad player but the mace seems much better in sieges. Too bad there aren't any fancy maces.

aMwmFIr.jpg
Those pauldrons look like they belong in dragon age origins.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Lol so they took the already absurd gear prices and doubled them? WTF are these people thinking man.

Didn't make a vast fortune with the workshops when it was still possible? Tough titty, better tighten them bootstraps. :keepmymoney:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Snowballing have reached my game now. Western Empire is unstoppable currently. I think part of the problem is sieges are just far too easy. They are too quick too, so catapults, ballistas and such have no time to actually make an impact. The attacking army walk within blind spot for the catapults within a few seconds after the battle starts. Often I don't even have time to reach the damn siege equipment before it's too late. I don't think the amount of men is the problem, I think the breaching is just too easy. I never thought I would say this, but Bannerlord need more choke-points like Warband. Like when the attacking army got their ladders in place, and their battering ram is battling down the gate it is game over. Soon they will swarm all over the wall, and usually it happens simultaneous which makes defending an impossible task.

Hellion

Arcane
As was already stated either here or on Reddit, part of the snowballing problem is that there is no respite from campaigning. In Warband, whenever a host of armies captured a castle or city, they would disband for a while to take care of their personal businesses, to decide who gets what fief, or to hold a feast. In Bannerlord, as soon as they capture one city they immediately award it to someone then move on to the next, then the next, then the next.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As was already stated either here or on Reddit, part of the snowballing problem is that there is no respite from campaigning. In Warband, whenever a host of armies captured a castle or city, they would disband for a while to take care of their personal businesses, to decide who gets what fief, or to hold a feast. In Bannerlord, as soon as they capture one city they immediately award it to someone then move on to the next, then the next, then the next.

Yeah, that is very true. Now that you mention it there hasn't been any Lord parties.

I still think the sieges are a bit on the easy side. I would prefer a bit longer engagement, because it's a damn awesome thing otherwise, plinking at soldiers, seeing men vault over the walls dead etc.

thesecret1

Arcane
Makes the campaign seem more sensible and realistic, in my opinion. The real issue is the lack of proper response. The defending faction ought to call every single lord to go defend immediately, form a massive army, and either crush the invaders in open field (if the odds are in their favour) or bunker down in the campaign's next target if they are not. After the attacker suffers sufficient losses, the campaign ends, and the defender has some breathing room to try and recapture lost holdings.

Hellion

Arcane
Realistic or not, at the very least an "aggressive expansion" or "war weariness" penalty modifier or something similar to that is needed in order to halt the AI (or even the player) from capturing half the map in quick succession. For example, if an army is on the road for X long amount of time or if it has captured more than 3 cities-castles in quick succession or something like that, troops eat more food, start to lose morale and siege preparations take twice or three times as long.

thesecret1

Arcane
It should come naturally. The attacker should suffer large enough casualties in sieges to make a more protracted campaign impossible. If the attacker isn't paying dearly for each city he decides to storm, then something is either wrong with the siege mechanic (the defenders don't have enough of an advantage), or with the overmap AI (the defenders don't provide enough troops to defend the city). Fixing this should naturally fix the snowball issue without the need for artificial mechanics.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Editing units is very easy, you just change armour id in spnpccharacters.xml
Here for example ive edited equipment of Sturgian veteran Bowman, i hate that its their best archer but he has shitty leather lamellar.
uq9OKNt.jpg

This is first game where i can larp as close to carolingian knight as possible (third one from the left).
r1xkFK9.jpg

carlo%20magno%20guerrieri.jpg

a8863c038d34c6aa853e89637a921f4d.jpg

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Todays hotfix was just rolling a bunch of nexus mods into an official patch.

I guess I can't say I blame them.

Realistic or not, at the very least an "aggressive expansion" or "war weariness" penalty modifier or something similar to that is needed in order to halt the AI (or even the player) from capturing half the map in quick succession. For example, if an army is on the road for X long amount of time or if it has captured more than 3 cities-castles in quick succession or something like that, troops eat more food, start to lose morale and siege preparations take twice or three times as long.

It already has the 'cohesion' stat for armies, some balance tweaking should bring this into line once all the perks and skills are working better.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
It should come naturally. The attacker should suffer large enough casualties in sieges to make a more protracted campaign impossible. If the attacker isn't paying dearly for each city he decides to storm, then something is either wrong with the siege mechanic (the defenders don't have enough of an advantage), or with the overmap AI (the defenders don't provide enough troops to defend the city). Fixing this should naturally fix the snowball issue without the need for artificial mechanics.
Warband garrisons did feel much better staffed. Maybe the cost benefit isn't big enough.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Has anyone been able to get armor like the Empire faction leaders wear? I updated the game but I don't really see that many new items...

Funposter

Arcane

It already has the 'cohesion' stat for armies, some balance tweaking should bring this into line once all the perks and skills are working better.

The problem is that even with armies suffering detriments to cohesion (with one of them being for having a large army), the AI will dissolve an army and then immediately have a different lord create a new one, which is what allows the snowballing to occur. The reasonable thing to do would probably be to give nobles a cooldown on how often they can join or create an army, maybe for 14 days. That way, at best, they can have an army of 800-1,000 with a cooldown, or run rotating armies of approx 400 that smaller factions can realistically defend against.

Defenders should also get a much larger advantage in auto-resolve/simulation situations, if they get one at all at the moment. Even if actual battles still allowed the player to style all over the defenders, this would at least mean that snowballing is driven by player agency, rather than things simply happening around the player as they do now. I wasn't a WARBAND PRO (I played maybe 70 hours) but I cannot recall a single instance of one faction growing to such an enormous size, so quickly, as they do in this game. I don't think I ever even witnessed the AI wipe out another faction on its own.

wyes gull

Savant
Just had a siege defense commanding a cavalry unit where my commander kept changing my orders every five seconds, telling me to charge and flank right and attack the center infantry unit regardless that were just a bunch of twats on horseback stuck inside a castle. It was pretty hilarious watching the horses go up on the ramparts and generally piss about being completely useless, admittedly.

And then I found the red bowls. Whoever thought of putting these in the game, thank you. I owe you the pleasure of one-shotting twenty plebs in M&B. Ended up racking 200-something kills (like half their army, most of whom were conveniently stuck at the door; not like the defenders were faring any better, the archers mostly just shot at walls) before I ran out and eventually got sniped by a bowman. Regardless, move aside, Red Barrels. There's a new bomb in town.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Sometimes those camps are left undefended and you just have to defeat the boss to recover the banner pieces.

Unrelated but I just set a new personal record for biggest M&B battle. Southern Empire (my side) with 1100 troops vs Western Empire with 1200 troops. Rhaegae actually took her army to break the siege of Poros instead of just letting the enemy have an easy win, so props to the AI for doing something sensible for once.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
One of the banner pieces is in a forest bandit camp.

:hmmm:

They have a stack of 18 guys, I'm only allowed to bring in 9.

giphy.gif

:rage:
For camps you can either a) retreat after killing a few or b) since the patch just keep hitting them. It's unfair and stupid, but at least you can whittle down their numbers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom