Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's See Who's More Prestigious: RPG Codex or RPGWatch!

Which combat system do you prefer?

• Turn-based

• Time-based turns

• Real-time

• Real-time with Pause

• UgoIgo (copyright Chien) [I think this should be our King Comrade entry]

• I don't care, I like them all

• I don't like combat

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Voted TB as it is my general preference, but I could have easily voted "I like them all, AS LONG AS THEY ARE WELL IMPLEMENTED".
That's the thing, though, there hasn't been a good implementation of RTwP ever. It's just a fundamentally flawed system that resists manipulation. There might be good games that use it but they are always good despite the RTwP and not because of it.

You (general you) might like to notice TB has consistently won every poll yet made, even when pitted against RT w/o pause. But who would like to play a real time party-based RPG? It has to be some really simple fair in terms of characters to be able to control them all comfortably.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Timed turn-based is a compromise made for multiplayer games (so your opponent can't just sit there for 3 hours wasting your time). I'm not aware of any single-player game that uses it, but I'm pretty sure I never want to play it.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Timed turn-based is a compromise made for multiplayer games (so your opponent can't just sit there for 3 hours wasting your time). I'm not aware of any single-player game that uses it, but I'm pretty sure I never want to play it.

Anachronox. And no, don't bother, it's a waste of time.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
a good game is a good game regardless of the combat mode

besides Underrail and original Blackguard no modern TB CRPG has good combat.

this TB zeal and misconception that TB = always good needs to die

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
I like games where you can gas your enemies to sleep and then send skeletons to kill them, because the skeletons aren't affected by gas.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
The TB purist is immunized against all dangers: one may call him a scoundrel, parasite, swindler, profiteer, it all runs off him like water off a raincoat. But call him a Larianfag and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: "I've been found out."

Trashos

Arcane
Again, this is confusing the combat system with the entire game.

I mean, TB would be considered a BS system, if there were no good games made with it. Now luckily TB is in fashion due to Larian (and XCOM), in some years it will be out of fashion again, then it will return etc-etc. It is tough to talk to young people about the observable cycles that become obvious once one ages a bit, but that is exactly what is going to happen in practice.

In the meantime, some developers will ride TB's wave, some will wish to copy Larian, some will wish to compete with Larian, others will consciously avoid competing with Larian and choose another system, and life goes on.

I am not complaining, I am enjoying this TB era, it has given us some kickass games (and TB *is* the system I favor after all). But like others have said ITT, I am glad that there are games being made with other systems as well.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

If something is so horrible you can't even talk about it, be assured Japs already did it.
There's a few Chrono Trigger like out there.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
But RTwP refers to two different things.:M
Round-based games that are essentially turn-based in disguise(IE games) and the kind that actually are real time(e.g., Dragon Age: Origins).

I like the RTwP system of the IE games but not the other kind. Voted for TB though.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL this poll is shit,the best option is missing. Where is the glorious high octane pump and gun with platforming and glory kills from heaven RPG system???

Lacrymas

Arcane
I mean, TB would be considered a BS system, if there were no good games made with it. Now luckily TB is in fashion due to Larian (and XCOM), in some years it will be out of fashion again, then it will return etc-etc. It is tough to talk to young people about the observable cycles that become obvious once one ages a bit, but that is exactly what is going to happen in practice.

In the meantime, some developers will ride TB's wave, some will wish to copy Larian, some will wish to compete with Larian, others will consciously avoid competing with Larian and choose another system, and life goes on.

I am not complaining, I am enjoying this TB era, it has given us some kickass games (and TB *is* the system I favor after all). But like others have said ITT, I am glad that there are games being made with other systems as well.
Turn-based games have existed since games (not only vidya) themselves have existed and will never go out of fashion. It's just a tried-and-true mode that has proven to work and has withstood the test of time. It makes sense, it's comfortably playable, it allows for more precise tactical thinking, and it's deeply hauntological (i.e. feeling the effects of previous turns is prominent and a strong suit).

besides Underrail and original Blackguard no modern TB CRPG has good combat.
For all the game's faults (and there are many), the combat system in D:OS1 (haven't played 2 yet) is good. What it suffers from is everything else, including character building.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Lacrymas, I did not say they are going to disappear. I am talking about fashions and herding. We have seen it in the past, during Bioware's creative peak.

Lacrymas

Arcane
We didn't have many turn-based or real time RPGs or RPG-likes (like tactical squad-based) during the RPG drought of the 2000s, so it's more the genre and not the system that was out of fashion. Nu-XCom is what revived the general interest in such games and Larian were extremely right to capitalize on that. And yes, it was the turn-based combat that allowed D:OS to win over PoE for the mass public because both had abysmal out-of-combat elements.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I take it Crispy that by prestigious you mean pretentious. Since a true connoisseur of rpgs will not care about which system it uses and only care if it is good :obviously:.

tindrli

Arcane
to be honest you can never EVER compare
RPG Codex or RPGWatch!

codex is codex.. there is no similar

in my opinion, OP should get a warning for this shit at least

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom