Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Beowulf

Arcane
Doom3 brought us is The Dark Mod and that thing is pure :incline: and so I can't say bad word about it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I started playing Blade Runner. I just got abducted by eevul replicants, and so far I have to say I'm not very wild about this game. It feels like I'm running between random places, talking to random people for random reasons until random things happen and then the plot moves on. It's just so... aimless?

YLD

Novice
i said it before and i will say it again that doom3 doesnt deserve most of the hate it gets
It's far from the only one, and it's not going to get better in the youtuber era now that everyone has seen how fun it is to trashtalk something and share le funny maymay on leddit. I've lost count of how many fun games I would have missed out on had I trusted these Internet bandwagons.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's far from the only one, and it's not going to get better in the youtuber era now that everyone has seen how fun it is to trashtalk something and share le funny maymay on leddit. I've lost count of how many fun games I would have missed out on had I trusted these Internet bandwagons.

My favorite is when people endlessly trashtalk something and then briefly mention they never played/watched it.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

My favorite is when people endlessly trashtalk something and then briefly mention they never played/watched it.

People like to pile on, unfortunately. I've been playing through the original two Doom games (slowly, due to other commitments) which have been really great. I'm about halfway through Doom II now and it's clear that the level design hasn't really aged - if anything the levels are better than in many modern games. They're simpler and feel more intentional - probably because there isn't a great deal you can do with idtech 1 other than switches, door, monsters and guns. Have to say I really like Sandy Peterson's levels.

After I finished Doom II I was going to jump straight to Doom 2016 but thanks to you lots' posts I'm going to give Doom 3 a shot. :salute:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Doom 3 is a lot better than I remember. Maybe because of all the decline, or maybe I was one of those butthurt assholes at the time who hate franchise entries which are different. In any case it's a neat combination of Doom and a System Shock-esque game, and I'm very much enjoying it. Really should have played on hard though, I chose default because it was supposed to be a quick nostalgia trip and it's so easy I haven't even died once halfway through the game. I'm not even sure my health has ever been below 50. There are health packs literally everywhere. You can't change difficulty mid-game and I'm not starting over, but I'll play Resurrection of Evil on hard.

I tried the "BFG Edition" for a bit and while the 120fps is super nice the super bright lighting is god damn terrible. I don't know what asshole decided to pump up the brightness ten-fold and make the game look like ass, but he ruined what could have been a decent upgrade. The original game, run through dhewm3, looks a billion times better not just in mood and design, but also the texture work and whatnot, because it's not seen under ramped up brightness. Even in dhewm3 the original game unfortunately has a 60fps cap, which speeds up the game when circumvented, but oh well. P.S. I found the only way to get it playing smoothly was to unlock the cap in the game, then limit my frames to 60 anyway, a process discussed on the PC Gaming Wiki under "stutter." Otherwise it played really choppy and had random framerate drops, which the wiki blames on nVidia drivers.

Compared to nu-Doom it is pure incline. Yeah, flashlight gimmick sucked, and the weapon sounds were borked, but it held a good atmosphere and stuck to 'creepy corridor' hunting that original Doom did. I watched some Eternal vids and decided to just laugh instead of cry. Platform jumping, collectible armor/weapon upgrades... and did I just see cut-scenes? They've gone full Mega Man mode. Give me a shotgun and some dark spooky hallways on Mars any day.

In fact, I think it's time to break out my Doom 3 discs and give it a go again.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
After I finished Doom II I was going to jump straight to Doom 2016 but thanks to you lots' posts I'm going to give Doom 3 a shot. :salute:

If you want it to play more like 1 and 2 then you might want to give the "BFG Edition" consideration. The brighter look means you don't have to snoop around with the flashlight, you walk faster and sprint super fast, letting you zoom around shotgunning demons, and I believe there were some tweaks to ammo and such that allow for a more fast-paced play-style. I'm dabbling in "The Lost Mission" expansion on the BFG Edition and it really plays super differently. I'm zooming up to imps and blasting them with the double-barrel, while in original Doom 3 I'm be creeping around more methodically. I kind of enjoy the Doom/System Shock mix but it's up to you which you're in the mood for I guess.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex

People like to pile on, unfortunately. I've been playing through the original two Doom games (slowly, due to other commitments) which have been really great. I'm about halfway through Doom II now and it's clear that the level design hasn't really aged - if anything the levels are better than in many modern games. They're simpler and feel more intentional - probably because there isn't a great deal you can do with idtech 1 other than switches, door, monsters and guns. Have to say I really like Sandy Peterson's levels.

You might wanna give Final Doom and Doom 64 EX a look too.

mastroego

Arcane
Oblivion fully modded (I followed a modlist, I would never have done the research to put them together otherwise).
Two overhauls concurrently installed (Oscuro's and Maskar's) and a bunch of other stuff.
I started playing it and left it there after a while... It's like playing Requiem-lite, the first levels are a chore, plus it's older and clunkier than Skyrim.

I picked it up again with the lockdown situation, and I have to say, I'm having fun, more than expected honestly.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Got to hell in Doom 3 and the boss area had massive framerate issues. Doom 3 has some weird frame drops on modern hardware, but nothing like that before. Good god, it was almost unplayable. I really wish the BFG edition didn't look like ass.

Speaking of the BFG edition, I finished "new" The Lost Levels expansion. It is waaaaaay more action focused and feels so much more like the original games. The end levels of it are big open areas with tons of high level demons spawning in that you have to strafe around and shoot the shit out of. Surprisingly fun, for what it is. Just ignore what little story there is.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Reached that bit about two thirds of the way through Silent Storm that I always think isn't gonna be as bad as I remember, but then it always turns out to be just as bad as I remember. Worse, actually.

So I'm switching up the pace a little with some rootin' tootin' cowboy shootin' in Outlaws (due to octavius's throwaway endorsement of it somewhere in some thread a certain amount of time ago). Lucasarts definitely brought out their animation A-team for this one. The cutscenes are absolutely beautiful. The writing does it justice too, and the music is also terrific. Excellent stuff all around. I really wasn't expecting to be wowed by the storyfaggotry, of all things, in a shooter from 1997, but here I am.

Game seems fun so far, too, except that easy is too easy and normal is too hard. Guess I'll tough it out on normal, since I can always get better but can't really get worse :dealwithit:

Ivan

Arcane
Doom: Sigil was a solid episode an in all featuring badass music.

Doom 64: ambient audio reminds me of quake, having a blast.
DC96ECEB55F5040EBC5B51A1BF68257D4FF9D556

3EFE2E2070D099AA61D7BB9EF2CF1BB3F45D386A

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So I'm switching up the pace a little with some rootin' tootin' cowboy shootin' in Outlaws (due to octavius's throwaway endorsement of it somewhere in some thread a certain amount of time ago). Lucasarts definitely brought out their animation A-team for this one. The cutscenes are absolutely beautiful. The writing does it justice too, and the music is also terrific. Excellent stuff all around. I really wasn't expecting to be wowed by the storyfaggotry, of all things, in a shooter from 1997, but here I am.

Game seems fun so far, too, except that easy is too easy and normal is too hard. Guess I'll tough it out on normal, since I can always get better but can't really get worse :dealwithit:

Treat it as a stealth game instead of a shooter. That's how to enjoy it on harder difficulties.

YLD

Novice
Speaking of the BFG edition, I finished "new" The Lost Levels expansion. It is way more action focused and feels so much more like the original games. The end levels of it are big open areas with tons of high level demons spawning in that you have to strafe around and shoot the shit out of. Surprisingly fun, for what it is. Just ignore what little story there is.
Many people fault its level design or its faithfulness to the originals, but if there is one area where Doom 3 shines it's the weapons. 15 years later and it's still my go-to example (along with Rainbow Six Vegas) for guns that feel loud and manly with snappy animations, moving parts aplenty, cool sound effects and elaborate reloads, so it's no surprise the game excels when it goes full Rambo. Just try the Last Man Standing mods and you will see just how the engine is criminally underutilized.

exe

Augur
How can you kill a god?

TES 2.1 Mod for Medieval 2 Total War. Vivec looks nice, but is total cancer actually fighting in. Pro-tip, don't play on huge units, here on large my zombie hordes already have 187 men per unit, makes sieges already kind of a mess. I have never lost so many units in a TW game as here as Dagoth Ur, which mostly consist of massive cheap hordes of zombies to throw at all the betrayers and hope they rout/die before you run out of bodies :D

The betrayer and his city burns, now only Ebonheart hasn't kneeled to the Sixth House yet. At last I have a port.

Got to hell in Doom 3 and the boss area had massive framerate issues. Doom 3 has some weird frame drops on modern hardware, but nothing like that before. Good god, it was almost unplayable. I really wish the BFG edition didn't look like ass.

Speaking of the BFG edition, I finished "new" The Lost Levels expansion. It is waaaaaay more action focused and feels so much more like the original games. The end levels of it are big open areas with tons of high level demons spawning in that you have to strafe around and shoot the shit out of. Surprisingly fun, for what it is. Just ignore what little story there is.

Have you tried the Dhewm3 source port? It should get the game working 100% on modern hardware.

Lost levels sounds cool, thanks for the recommendation.

Doom 3 is a lot better than I remember. Maybe because of all the decline, or maybe I was one of those butthurt assholes at the time who hate franchise entries which are different. In any case it's a neat combination of Doom and a System Shock-esque game, and I'm very much enjoying it. Really should have played on hard though, I chose default because it was supposed to be a quick nostalgia trip and it's so easy I haven't even died once halfway through the game. I'm not even sure my health has ever been below 50. There are health packs literally everywhere. You can't change difficulty mid-game and I'm not starting over, but I'll play Resurrection of Evil on hard.
The trick to Doom 3 is that the difficulty setting is actually hidden in the system options menu. It is the slider next to the word "brightness" for some reason.

But speaking seriously, Doom 3's issue is that either you know/guess where monsters are or take damage.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Arc the Lad 2. Pretty damn dark for a JRPG. I beat the first game in less than 14h and this took me 87h. I did everything. Every job, hunt and side quest, including getting the best character of the game. I played with an imported save from the first game. It's easy most of the times, with some quite challenging hunts and some challenging final story fights. If you've got most things you want, and leveled up your characters and gear, you should be fine. (Yes, you level up your gear.) In my opnion, this game is overlooked. It's not in my top five PS1 JRPG list, but it was worth my time. If you like the gnre, you should at least give it a shot. One negative is that some sections can drag, with many combat encounters. During these scenarios, you're not able to save, so you might want to consider playing on an emulator with save states.

Minit was a fun little game. After the beast that was the above game, I wanted to play a few shorter games. This one took me 2h to beat. It's a black and white game, and you have 60 seconds for a run, then you die. For each run, you have to accomplish something so you can move on and do something else once you die and resurrect. I just did what is required to beat the main story and I got some other achievements, but I have no intention to do anything more.

Drakengard 3... I played my PS3 version. Did a few missions but the frame rate is laughable. Instead of completely giving up on it, I opted to play on an emulator. I'm getting 60FPS most of the time, with some drops here and there. Gameplay is fairly simple action, hack n' slash, with some flying sections where you use your dragon to fight off enemies. This game, I play exclusively for the story and characters. I beat Ending A, which was a fairly easy ride. A little twist at the end, so I'm interested to see what the other paths have to offer. I'm surprised that this series saw the light of day, to be honest. I'm especially surprised that Square Enix greemlit this game in this day and age, with censoring and whatnot. While at points, the tone of the characters are way over the top, I do like Zero.

Deponia was beaten in 5h. It looks great, but I haven't disliked a main character this much, in a long while. I just want to smack him on the head. I'd call it a standard adventure game with not overly challenging puzzles, but it still uses items, item combining and an inventory. Much better than Silence, which was an utter disappointment.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Playing No One Lives Forever.

Alas not as fun anymore as I remember.
Can't play it as pure stealth (unlike System Shock you can't disable security cams by shooting them), and as a pure shooter it leaves a bit to be desired.
So I go for the don't-set-off-any-alarms hybrid style instead, which I guess is really the intended style, even if one can get the impression that it is a stealth game.

Overall I'm not enjoying FPS games as much as I did only a few years ago, my recent playthrough of Deus Ex being an exception.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Have you tried the Dhewm3 source port? It should get the game working 100% on modern hardware.

I'm using dhewm3, it's not really that great. Still get random frame drops at times, still had a massive framerate issue on the hell boss. Also it's still functionally locked to 60fps, because if you turn off the cap it runs at crazy fast speed and if you use the weird "fixedtic -1" option it turns into a stuttery mess, despite being above 60fps. The BFG edition runs at a solid and smooth 120fps with no issues, even at 5k resolution. I adjusted okay to the BFG edition's lighting eventually when playing Lost Mission, so I might play Resurrection of Evil on it.

YLD

Novice
I'm really liking Radiant Historia (DS version on DraStic).

Time travel is part of the story so it's on rails and not real choice-and-consequences design but I don't really mind it, I just wanted something to indulge in some storyfagging in bed before falling asleep and it delivers, it's the only jRPG I've tried that's totally serious with zero retardo character. Everyone's an adult, the art is either neutral or straight-up grim, and the plot is pure military drama... so far.

I'm really afraid it's going to pull a Berseria on me, starting strong and serious before betraying you by devolving into typical zany japofaggotry. Please let it be 80s dark animu to the end.

JDR13

Arcane
Speaking of the BFG edition, I finished "new" The Lost Levels expansion. It is way more action focused and feels so much more like the original games. The end levels of it are big open areas with tons of high level demons spawning in that you have to strafe around and shoot the shit out of. Surprisingly fun, for what it is. Just ignore what little story there is.
Many people fault its level design or its faithfulness to the originals, but if there is one area where Doom 3 shines it's the weapons. 15 years later and it's still my go-to example (along with Rainbow Six Vegas) for guns that feel loud and manly with snappy animations, moving parts aplenty, cool sound effects and elaborate reloads, so it's no surprise the game excels when it goes full Rambo. Just try the Last Man Standing mods and you will see just how the engine is criminally underutilized.

Eh? The default weapon sounds in Doom 3 are terrible.. especially the pistol and shotgun which sound like toys. Their volume is way too low in comparison to other sounds in the game. That's why I recommend installing one of the weapon sound mods.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Deponia was beaten in 5h. It looks great, but I haven't disliked a main character this much, in a long while. I just want to smack him on the head.

This is the running gag of the series: Rufus is an asshole, except the few times when he isn't. And those few times makes it worth playing through the series (once, at least). The humor and the puzzles are fine as well. Speaking of puzzles, if you move on to Chaos on Deponia you'll come across one of the most inspired adventure game puzzles in many years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom