Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's See Who's More Prestigious: RPG Codex or RPGWatch!

Which combat system do you prefer?

• Turn-based

• Time-based turns

• Real-time

• Real-time with Pause

• UgoIgo (copyright Chien) [I think this should be our King Comrade entry]

• I don't care, I like them all

• I don't like combat

Results are only viewable after voting.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
RPGWatch is like the DNC of RPG. RPG Codex is like the RNC.
We all know the DNC only have fat women and skinny men.

Farewell young Prince into the night

Say what you will about RPGWatch, but the fact remains that they were able to seduce beloved Fluent away from us.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
beloved Fluent
I wouldn't go that far.

DU going more and more crazy is a bad sign

stalin-composite-16x9.jpg

Gargaune

Magister
RTwP, of course. And you should see that as a public service, even communist elections had a few votes for the other guy. You don't want the Codex to look worse than communism, do you?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So far the percentages here are looking p. good.

Maybe there is hope for humanity afterall.

60% is quite lame though and if you look closer at the numbers you get :
- 19 + 2 Retards
- 32 Agents of decline

1. Real-time with Pause
    19 vote(s)
    11.2%
  2. UgoIgo (copyright Chien) [I think this should be our King Comrade entry]
    2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  3. I don't care, I like them all
    32 vote(s)
    18.9%

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Simple answer to this thread's question: turn-based for games with a party, real time for single character action RPGs (be is isometric Diablolike or first/third person RPG a la Elder Scrolls or Gothic).

Complex answer: it depends on the system. The more options it gives the player, the better. The more tactical variety, the more fun.
Action point based systems are more fun than simplistic one action per turn systems (compare old XCom to new XCom).
In an action RPG, different weapons should feel different (Dark Souls does that pretty well, most weapons differ in speed and handling; Elder Scrolls games do this badly because the only functional difference between swords, axes and maces is how much damage they do).

Simplistic turn based quickly grows boring because there's little to do other than attack each turn.
Simplistic RTwP quickly grows boring because there is little to do other than selecting your dudes and clicking on the enemy to attack.
Simplistic action combat quickly grows boring because there is no point in switching weapons when they all play the same.
Etc.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Turn based tactical battles in Ultima 4 were one of the most fun I recall.
The issue with action points is that you can't really control more than one character. Or is there some magic way to do a rogue like with controlling more than one character?
Of course you can have followers, but you can't control them the same way you control the main character.
Edit: You could make a rogue like wP, like normally the followers follow you, but in battle you can pause the game and move to command based, like giving your followers commands and then when you walk they commit them.
Until you pause again and give them new commands if you like.
Edit 2: Was ultima 7 the first RTwP game?

Not.AI

Learned
Simple answer to this thread's question: turn-based for games with a party, real time for single character action RPGs (be is isometric Diablolike or first/third person RPG a la Elder Scrolls or Gothic).

Complex answer: it depends on the system. The more options it gives the player, the better. The more tactical variety, the more fun.
Action point based systems are more fun than simplistic one action per turn systems (compare old XCom to new XCom).
In an action RPG, different weapons should feel different (Dark Souls does that pretty well, most weapons differ in speed and handling; Elder Scrolls games do this badly because the only functional difference between swords, axes and maces is how much damage they do).

Simplistic turn based quickly grows boring because there's little to do other than attack each turn.
Simplistic RTwP quickly grows boring because there is little to do other than selecting your dudes and clicking on the enemy to attack.
Simplistic action combat quickly grows boring because there is no point in switching weapons when they all play the same.
Etc.

This - yes. Exactly.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's the thing, though, there hasn't been a good implementation of RTwP ever.

7.62 High Calibre
Yeah, I've heard that but I haven't personally played it. I was going to put an asterisk next to my statement and say people claim it has good RTwP but I honestly couldn't remember the name of it. Even if it is true, 1 game ever compared to so many quality TB games isn't a great track record.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Turn based tactical battles in Ultima 4 were one of the most fun I recall.

:what:

U4 is the prime example of slow, simplistic (couldn't even attack diagonally) combat. Combine that with too high random encounter frequency and you have a game that will really test your patience.
U5 did things right, though.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The issue with action points is that you can't really control more than one character. Or is there some magic way to do a rogue like with controlling more than one character?
Of course you can have followers, but you can't control them the same way you control the main character.

What are you smoking? Jagged Alliance 2 has action points. Silent Storm has action points. Both Divinity: Original Sin games have action points. They all have full party control.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
It didn't have attack diagonally? Weird, You could attack projectiles at any direction I think.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex

What are you smoking? Jagged Alliance 2 has action points. Silent Storm has action points. Both Divinity: Original Sin games have action points. They all have full party control.
You are right, by action points I assumed time unity based like in Rogue Like.
Switch action points to rogue like.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
UgoIgo is the BG3 system, right? All party members take action, then all party members of the other side take action. Should be under turn-based and not its own option in the poll.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
And it is stupid, it is for tabletop wargames where each player controls 50 units and you won't roll for initiative for each unit and manually take note of it, in CRPGs there's no reason not to roll for initiative for each character instead.

laclongquan

Arcane
I dont care, I like them all.

Because there's only a game mechanism be designed badly. There's NOTHING that is inherently good/bad about them. And I can list bad things about each item.

I admit, my preference for real time is waaaaaay down the list. But hell, I do play Warzone 2100, and recently Space Rangers2's planetary RT games as well. Or Homeworld~ or Fallout Tactic Brotherhood of Steel in RT mode.

laclongquan

Arcane
That's the thing, though, there hasn't been a good implementation of RTwP ever.

7.62 High Calibre
Yeah, I've heard that but I haven't personally played it. I was going to put an asterisk next to my statement and say people claim it has good RTwP but I honestly couldn't remember the name of it. Even if it is true, 1 game ever compared to so many quality TB games isn't a great track record.
The general problem with RTwP naysayer is that they are not good with combat game so they ignore the most representative of that genre.

I speak, of course, about

UFO Afterlight
UFO Aftershock

RTwP in tactical combat, bitch!

Of course, the former graphic is a bit cartoony, and the latter is too Fallout 1, ie pixelated brown, yellow. So people mostly ignore them.

Or the classical example: Icewind Dale 2. Problem is, it's harder than hell, so most peep just skip out of that one.

Elex

Arbiter
RTwP, of course. And you should see that as a public service, even communist elections had a few votes for the other guy. You don't want the Codex to look worse than communism, do you?
At least they will not call the codex fascist

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom