Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 3 Remake - Nemesis has a nose now!!!

Wunderbar

Arcane
Man, I played the fuck out of RE4, and enjoyed the 2 player experience on RE5 though me and my friends fully acknowledged it wasn't a RE game. Since then, I haven't touched one. Just moved in the wrong direction I think.
Revelations 2 is a pretty good RE game.

Generic-Giant-Spider

This post has so much severe autism in it, that no known object on earth in 2020 can measure it. Congrats.

You never killed Yawn, you never dealt with Plant 42, you never braved Black Tiger.

You're a phony. You're just another RE2 lover to me. You ain't about this.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Does Capcom not understand how claymores work or do I not? I thought Metal Gear Solid just had the red lasers for the player's sake. Why would you show those in a cutscene? The one where Nemesis gets blasted by one. It seems hilariously inaccurate. A highly concentrated laser doesn't just stop after two feet, and having it so visible defeats the purpose of the mine.

Swigen

Arbiter
nsfw-gifs-things-that-bounce-thursday-4314-3-gif-thechive
nsfw-gifs-things-that-bounce-thursday-4314-3-gif-thechive
giphy.gif

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Does Capcom not understand how claymores work or do I not? I thought Metal Gear Solid just had the red lasers for the player's sake. Why would you show those in a cutscene? The one where Nemesis gets blasted by one. It seems hilariously inaccurate. A highly concentrated laser doesn't just stop after two feet, and having it so visible defeats the purpose of the mine.

Same thing here, otherwise you would complain how a bomb just happened to explode right when Nemesis ran past it.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Same thing here, otherwise you would complain how a bomb just happened to explode right when Nemesis ran past it.
Every gamer knows what a claymore is. All you had to do was give a focused shot on the claymore before the explosion. This way just looks silly.

SumDrunkGuy

RE3 is always gonna be worse than RE2, simply because of the source materiale, orignal, remake, reboot, doesnt matter, RE2 is just straight up a better game than RE3 any way you slice it, that's what I meant.

It isn't. You think this is because you were like me at one point in life. You were a retarded kid, you were at Blockbuster Video and saw "RESIDENT EVIL: DIRECTOR'S CUT" with Chris Redfield on the cover with a big gun and went, "Wow I like ACTION!" Then you brought it home and began to play. You wonder what sadistic serial killer mapped the fucked up controls, you ran into the first zombie, the game scared the shit out of you during this FMV but it was cool because you were the big strong man with the big bad gun and you were about to unleash DOOM on this cannibal scum. Oh wait, what's this? You only have a KNIFE. You go to stab the zombie, three grabs later and You're Dead. You try over and over, you keep donating your jugular with no progression, you conclude the game is shit.

But wait, the game came with a SECOND disc! A "demo" for Resident Evil 2? Sure, give it a shot. Wow, you're in a city street on fire with zombies and everything emerging from the flames and you're a COP now. Better yet, you have a GUN! Whoooa! You can shoot these cock munchers down now and go into the gun shop. Hah, the dumb owner got ambushed by 8 zombies but it's fine because you took his shotgun! WHAT? And then you USED the shotgun and it blew heads off! WHERE? This game was twenty times better than that other trash, this was the Resident Evil you envisioned when renting it. Eventually you beg your out of the gaming loop grandmother to buy it for you, Christmas 1998 you see Resident Evil 2 beneath the tree and proceed to spend all Boxing Day stomping a mudhole through Raccoon City. Just kidding, Raccoon PD. You get stuck because you're a retarded kid and don't know puzzles, but the game is awesome because it fulfilled your bloodlust that RE1 didn't.

Now this is where we have a FORK IN THE ROAD, you and I. While you conceded that RE1 was awful and RE2 was the best game to ever emerge out of 1998, I swallowed my GI Joe pride and selected the second character "Jill Valentine." Despite being a GIIIRL, she had a GUN. Wow, the first zombie got destroyed, you met Big Barry, you hoped it was not Chris' blood, and you now have fond memories of RE1 because of Jill the master of unlocking Valentine.

And this brings us to RE3. We were playing as Jill again but while you sneered and scoffed because you weren't playing as Nick Carter in a police uniform, I rejoiced because Mom came back home to make things right. We were exploring Raccoon City, we were mowing down zombies with an Assault Rifle because we chose Easy mode due to brain damage, and heroically fending off that big Nemesis fuck who came at us with the ferocity of ten lions and could use a rocket launcher. Birkin couldn't use a rocket launcher.

Now the zoomers and unwashed will tell you RE3 was about ackshun and miniskirtz and Nemmy, but it was more. It was a thank you to those of us who stuck through RE1, who thought "maybe the guy with the knife isn't good for a first playthrough", it brought back the undisputed and authoritative matriarch of Resident Evil, Jill Valentine. Claire can go fuck herself bloody.

RE3 is better than RE2 in many ways but whenever I feel like not explaining it I just say, "Jill Valentine, faggot." When she's playable in RE2, we'll talk. Until then, mix me some goddamn ammo, Skippy and chew on that Jill Sandwich.

(I know your name isn't actually Skippy)

Autism, folks.

SumDrunkGuy

Apparently this games has more areas, and more enemies than the Resident Evil 2 remake...for those saying that had more than this. From what I've played of this one, the encounters in this with zombies seems a lot better, and they don't seem to have the bullshit bullet sponge system RE2R had to build pseudo-tension based on how much ammo you have.

That is actually huge incline if true. You may have just single-handedly restored my faith in this game.

mogwaimon

Magister
zombies are a bit easier to kill than RE2, i'll give it that. it was fucked up how you can shoot a zombie like 6-10 times in the head and it's still getting up. on the other hand if you try to shoot the legs off they jiggle like jello puddin pops so there's a bit of a tradeoff here

oldbonebrown

Arcane
The dodge felt and looked out of place to me when trying the demo, like it didn't quite match how you moved around normally. But I'm sure I'll get over it after playing for a while
in a couple of years when the game costs it's rightful >20€

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Did anyone else feel like REmake2 was a bunch of top quality resources at the hands of someone who didn't quite know what they were doing or lacked the vision to seal the deal? Like a good director could have made an amazing game with what was there with just a little effort, but that didn't happen and instead it constantly feels like it's falling short when you play it.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
dunno how you could miss it, i've been dodging by accident more often than by intent.

I only really remember how my faulty disc made the game freeze every twenty minutes and how much the game scared me. So for all I know I could have been dodging like crazy - I kinda just wanted to be the poster that was that dumb after AO went so hard. You take the shots that you get.

Terra

Cipher
I recall the dodge mechanic could be easily abused in mercenaries mode once you got the timing down to extend the timer as much as you wanted. Hell, even in the main game, it was fairly easy to accidentally dodge an incoming punch from nemesis by tapping R1.

SumDrunkGuy

Revelations 2 had the best dodge mechanic ever. That shit was so ridiculous and would trivialize/ruin any traditional survival horror game but it made the combat in that so much fun. You were basically a gun-toting ninja.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
In the original, despite encountering the Nemesis in scripted encounters, it was a great addition, making it feel like you really were being pursued in some terrible fashion. First time I saw it, I was watching my friend play and we were freaked the fuck out.

I haven't played any of the remakes honestly, though the RE1 remake was damn good from what I saw when my friends played it. I think they should have continued on the Nemesis encounters similarly to how they did it with RE2 Remake's Mr. X. X simply was on a patrol throughout the station and followed sound.

I think RE3 should have done something similar, not with sound but something else. They do something to draw Nemesis' attention somehow, like talk over a radio or who knows what. Then Jill has to run and lose it or bring it down somehow. Bringing it down stuns it for a short period, and essentially resets its tracking. The more damage you do to it, the more bestial it becomes, eventually forgetting how to use weapons and possibly even doors. In a psychotic state, it just keeps pursuing you until you knock it out, and while it does it barrels over and kills zombies or rips doors off hinges so nothing bars a zombie's path towards you.

All the damage you do can affect how boss fights with it play out too, using tentacles more, or jumping more, throwing things at you, firing less, charging more, swinging wildly, etc. Normally, an undamaged nemesis might be an entirely different challenge altogether, attacking you tactically, using cover, etc. A fucked up nemesis can still use its tools, but with less finesse now, and it loses some of its tactical know-how, etc. Then comes a scripted scene and it changes the encounters going forward. Now it uses Parasite tentacles and claws and all sorts of shit, but still retains some intelligence and so on.

Add on to having specific points occur where you can now change outcomes of the game in some way (story point, etc.) and you have a memorable winner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom