Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the matter of min maxxing vs fun

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
No it's an entirely different question. Minmaxxing implies abuse, not mere optimization within well conceived parameters. You're missing the connotation of the term.

Again, it's the difference between OCD and good hygiene.

We all like to break them to see how they work. Some of us then put them back together. The rest are min-maxxers.

Ah, now I see where the problem is. We're just quibbling about words. For you, optimization is Righteous and Holy, while minmaxing is Sinful and Wrong. The distinction is only in your mind, however. What you call "optimization" I call "minmaxing", and what you call "minmaxing" I call "bad minmaxing". And with this translation, you will find we don't disagree in the least. It is very possible to minmax badly, in any number of ways, one of which is to lose the forest of the trees and butcher your character in pursuit of a couple extra measly points of damage.

(what's that "min" thing, anyway?)
Minmaxing describes the process by which you minimize what you don't care about so you can maximize what's important. For example, reducing Intelligence to 9 (min) so you can put the points into Strength and raise it to 18 (max).

Can any one here say he hasn't done that?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
For you, optimization is Righteous and Holy, while minmaxing is Sinful and Wrong.

Pretty judgemental there to deem OCD sinful and wrong. I can't even.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
It's instructive to see the corner into which an intellect as strong as Xamenos paints itself by imbibing in the strong nonjudgmentalism which was the spirit of the passing age in understanding why that age is rapidly passing.

Also ironically apt that the example he chooses involves giving himself an entirely inappropriate 9 INT. A well designed game will find ways to make him pay for that, but the payment in self-respect has already been made.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wouldn't call optimizing a character to be min maxing. You're not looking to break the character, nor are you looking to break the character's identity. All you're doing is making them better at their job. For example, if someone is a fighter, it'd be natural for them to have a high STR. After all, being a fighter is quite physically intensive and laborious. On the same coin a wizard will too have a high INT.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think min maxing is more about exploiting an understanding of a game. Like a Fighter you could build it with max STR, but it might be better to build with max STA or AGI in some games. Or if you can get a weapon that is especially powerful and then DEX allows the weapons effect to trigger more often, then it might be best to just max DEX and have an uber character. But it is pretty meaningless. Most people just build a character as well as they can which is fine. If you know enough about the game to exploit some angle then you likely already completed it once so who cares if they play a second time and steamroll everything.

DraQ

Arcane
Are you alright comrade? Vodka finally got your last braincells?
Da.

You seem unable, or unwilling, to understand my post. I never professed to a game designer, and your tirade still conflates entirely different things.
Or maybe you haven't understood mine AND you don't understand how some things you think different are ultimately the same.

Minmaxing, as I said, is the process of making your character as powerful as you can. This process may be too easy ("should have done the bloody obvious"), or the game may be lacking in documentation ("look it up in wiki"). But those problems are not inherent, or required in the process of minmaxing.
Sure they are. And the reason for that is very simple: all those chargen menus are not where your systems are and not where your gameplay is. They are simply not meaty enough for that and they actually shouldn't be for that would just be obtuse design.

And if the power is easily quantifiable in your RPG, especially between characters at the same stage of their careers (level basically), I'd say it already failed to be a good RPG.

And no matter what game you might have in mind that is not guilty of these sins, I guarantee you one of two things is true: Either your choices don't matter at all, or you can minmax and you were too blind to see it.
Why not take the third option: The choices matter in that they change the nature of game being played. They do so by defining the role which determines perspective on game's challenges, and possibly even goals to some extent. You know, 'role' as in 'Role Playing Game'? Sounds familiar?

The bottom line is that chargen is not a (mini)game. It's an interface for expressing a character. As an interface it should follow all the rules of well designed UI - be expressive, clear, and not force user to spend extra effort avoiding invalid states (failing builds in this case). Minigames tend to make games shittier - why would you expect chargen to be an exception from this rule?

You are so close to getting it, that I cannot understand what your issue is. Minmaxin IS how you become a rogue who can "sneak, break in and manipulate people".
First thing first: I used worn out archetype in my example because I wanted to set up a simple, easily understood example.

If you do not minmax at all in a proper RPG, what you get is a terrible character that can't do anything.
And that's the actual problem here: RPGs (proper or not) tend to be designed by mouth-breathing retards who unsurprisingly do excessively poor job doing that.

If your RPG features different ability scores than maxed out and dump stat, then they either serve a purpose or are excess fat in need of trimming. If to make an effective %classname I have to build a cookie cutter archetype, then just give me a bunch of prefabricated archetypes with ability to slap different portrait and name on them, drop all that pointless ability score shit and put the effort somewhere where it will matter instead.
Alternatively make it so I can actually get interesting outcomes out of non-standard builds, and no, without calling those builds suboptimal. But then you have got no minmaxing.
You can mix and match too, for example you can block a portion of your build space off as not viable PCs but still use it for NPCs.

Characters are defined by BOTH. A rogue and a commoner are equally unable to cast spells or take a sword to the face. What separates them are all those things a rogue CAN do. A properly built rogue, that is.
Sure those two are just flipside perspectives, but perspective matters.
A good perspective is one that realizes that in a computer game player gets a finite toolbox - basically moves actions and types of interaction you have built into your game. In an RPG your character build delimits a subset of that. Being able to do everything is hard baseline, actual characters are below that. So yeah, a character is defined by what they cannot do and grow by taking off some of their limitations.

Min-maxing shouldn't be the base design of your game unless you are creating anti-fun game like AoD. But a game shouldn't be designed to keep min-maxing out entirely. It should be designed as a normal game but if the player is capable of finding the min-max buried beneath it then it is reward for the player to break the game.
That's actually the problem with min-maxing it shares with all the other design anti-patterns like grind, RTWP*, combat XP in not exclusively combat based game, even savescumming (though designing good save system avoiding scumming other than mandatory ironman is non-trivial) - the "right" amount is completely arbitrary and game gets broken when player leans in too hard.

*) Yes, RTWP. It is designed around specific amount of micro.

I wouldn't call optimizing a character to be min maxing. You're not looking to break the character, nor are you looking to break the character's identity. All you're doing is making them better at their job. For example, if someone is a fighter, it'd be natural for them to have a high STR. After all, being a fighter is quite physical intensive and laborious. On the same coin a wizard will too have a high INT.
It is breaking the character's identity if you, for example, want to make a smart fighter, but know that you will actually be wasting the points you should have put in str and make a dumb oaf. It is indicative of poorly designed game that you will want to maximize that strength score even at the expense of other abilities rather than consider a more rounded character.

And there you have it - where minmaxing pokes out you don't have to dig deep to find a massive heap of dung.
:M

It's like some kids like to play with their toys, while others like to break them open and see how they work.

It has always been breaking them open to see how they work then reassembling them for me.
+M
It seems rather pointless to try to continue playing with broken toys.

Silly Germans

Minmaxxing is not a principle to design a game, it is a way to derive fun from games that we have however they were designed.
I would like to play a game that you describe by i don't see how any rpg's that we have available at the moment are good
in the sense as you describe it.

Procedual generation of content has not reached the point where it makes good rpgs in my opinion, which means you would have
to handcraft all challenges which would be way to much effort for any developer that wants to make a living. One approach seems
to be replacing chargen with origins that you pick, giving you individual storys/problems. But that would be game without chargen,
being irrelevant to the discussion of min maxxing.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>Minmaxxing is not a principle to design a game, it is a way to derive fun from games that we have however they were designed.
Debatable. Min maxxing is not the end all be all. I derive my fun from attempting the hardest difficulty on iron man mode.

Silly Germans

>Minmaxxing is not a principle to design a game, it is a way to derive fun from games that we have however they were designed.
Debatable. Min maxxing is not the end all be all. I derive my fun from attempting the hardest difficulty on iron man mode.
A way, implying it is not the only way but one of many.

Silly Germans

Minmaxxing is not a principle to design a game, it is a way to derive fun from games that we have however they were designed.
You missed a 'p' there.
Also, I'm pretty sure that's not grammatical.

Style over substance ? That's a trite remark, especially at a place like this.

I'd rather know what games you have in mind when you speak about good rpg's.
Examples that are devoid of character generation that allows or requires to some degree optimization.

sser

Arcane
Developer
If I'm min-maxing it means I like the game a lot. More precisely, it means I'm coming back to the game to play it repeatedly and at some point I want to stretch the capabilities of the characters and see what kind of umbermesnch can be created. Going for min-max right out the gate seems weird to me. It involves a lot of online guide-reading and other nonsense which completely spoils the experience. Also, sometimes, just sometimes, those online folks are missing something. I've min-maxed in games where a seemingly 'weak' character was actually far stronger than people realized.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Asks min-maxxers about his non-optimized build.
"Should min-max, bro."
Oh mah God, I'm shocked! Never expected that!

Max Damage

Savant
As much as I can relate to some things that were said in OP, making threads just to rant about internet fights isn't really a good way to deal with them. You're not going to change anyone's mind on 4chan or Reddit (or wherever the argument was), they most likely won't see your post in first place. Most importantly, as someone who've talked and read a lot about "optimal/best" builds in many games, not every optimizer/min-maxer can agree on what's best, some consider only best DPS/DC/skill values to be meaningfull, while other argue that overspecialization is the opposite of optimal. Just walk away, don't get worked over the eternal fight.

Incendax

Augur
Fun is a valid thing to min-max.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom