Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Imagine not being able to understand that, after reaching the threshold where you miss only with a natural 1, every other to hit bonus is useless.

That's literally in the post though:

PA works positively only at the extremes: e.g. your chance to hit is only 5% (natural 20), therefore you may as well use PA since it doesn't affect your hit chance but you get more damage. Or at the other end, if your chance to hit is very high (e.g. you always hit except on a 1) then PA becomes free damage.

Well the reason why I linked that specific thread was because Ineffect was down in the comments raging a crusade about PA.

Looks like his making Underrail builds now +M.
>Looks like his making Underrail builds now
Speaking of Underrail, that's another game that I bought and still haven't played yet. Bros, I am so addicted to Kingmaker x_x

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Guys PA is not always best option. Using PA at high levels means your last attack will miss most of the time meaning that you actually get one less attack. Now if that missed attack is 1d8+10 and with power attack you get +15 to all other attacks it does not matter but if your normal attack is 4d8+30 you probably don't want to use PA. Not to mention that means less chance of critical hits and activating feats connected with that.
Well, give me an AC value to test and I can prove it. If I'm only missing end game monsters on a 1, 2 or 3, what you're saying doesn't really apply. Shatter Defenses is amazingly powerful.

Wild Hunt mobs have pretty pitiful AC values, for end-game anyway, and once you apply Shatter Defenses to them then it's even worse, and even my medium BAB Alchemist is going to miss only on a 1.
That is effect of Shatter Defenses then, not PA. I for one don't use Shatter Defenses or bother with trying to fear everyone. I don't bother with PA as well because game is easy enough you don't need to. You CC enemies that are hard with spells anyways.

There's a pretty big gap between "don't use PA because you'll miss too much" and "don't use PA because it makes the game too easy."

Make up your mind.

PA is the key to full-BAB classes taking their rightful place owning 3/4 classes with all their fancy bells and whistles.

Yosharian

Arcane
Guys PA is not always best option. Using PA at high levels means your last attack will miss most of the time meaning that you actually get one less attack. Now if that missed attack is 1d8+10 and with power attack you get +15 to all other attacks it does not matter but if your normal attack is 4d8+30 you probably don't want to use PA. Not to mention that means less chance of critical hits and activating feats connected with that.
Well, give me an AC value to test and I can prove it. If I'm only missing end game monsters on a 1, 2 or 3, what you're saying doesn't really apply. Shatter Defenses is amazingly powerful.

Wild Hunt mobs have pretty pitiful AC values, for end-game anyway, and once you apply Shatter Defenses to them then it's even worse, and even my medium BAB Alchemist is going to miss only on a 1.
That is effect of Shatter Defenses then, not PA. I for one don't use Shatter Defenses or bother with trying to fear everyone. I don't bother with PA as well because game is easy enough you don't need to. You CC enemies that are hard with spells anyways.
Just because you choose not to use the most powerful physical DPS feat in the game doesn't mean everyone else is going to... If your argument is 'game is too easy anyway' why are you even participating in this discussion? We are discussing how to optimize characters, if you're not interested in that, simple, just don't comment on it? I don't get why you start talking about what is or isn't the best option and then at the end you're like 'I don't even care what is the best option because the game is too easy anyway' like wtf

Desiderius

Patron
I'm not using Shatter now unless I need the prereqs and also not using Dirge.

It's worth it to use things like Dreadful to get some Shaken going but OP to start combat with it, automatic (no save), and permanent.

Starting combat with Dazzling Display from Stealth (and putting together a build that can pull it off) is much more challenging, fair, and fun.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Imagine not being able to understand that, after reaching the threshold where you miss only with a natural 1, every other to hit bonus is useless.

That's literally in the post though:

PA works positively only at the extremes: e.g. your chance to hit is only 5% (natural 20), therefore you may as well use PA since it doesn't affect your hit chance but you get more damage. Or at the other end, if your chance to hit is very high (e.g. you always hit except on a 1) then PA becomes free damage.

Well the reason why I linked that specific thread was because Ineffect was down in the comments raging a crusade about PA.

>Looks like his making Underrail builds now
Speaking of Underrail, that's another game that I bought and still haven't played yet. Bros, I am so addicted to Kingmaker x_x
I played it but haven't revisited it since I got bored of navigating endless tunnels without a map. They added a map now so I want to play it again but it's a game you can't really just pick up and play, you gotta devote time to it to enjoy it properly.

And now there's a DLC as well, too many games...

Desiderius

Patron

He's also now spamming Steam forums. Unclear whether GoG (his former home) even has forums anymore.

Another InEffect classic in this thread:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/2148721524019168088/

Poster asks:

"Is Improved Initiative worth it?
Since I seem to eat a lot of damage due to opponents going first a lot, this seems worth it. Am I wrong?"

InEffect replies:

"For RT - no. Just run back for a round. For TB - yes"

:nocountryforshitposters:

Desiderius

Patron
If you put a gun to my head and asked me to choose the most powerful feat in the game my answer would be Improved Initiative.

Speed kills.

Desiderius

Patron
If you put a gun to my head and asked me to choose the most powerful feat in the game my answer would be Improved Initiative.

Speed kills.
I'd argue that you're correct, but then endgame monsters have like +1515141318 initiative bonuses....

You can get competitive if you work at it.

GlaiveFighterInitiative.jpg

HarrimFirstMover.jpg

(Harrim splashing Inquisitor 2 for WIS to Initiative, wielding Lightning Duelist and Initiative Necklace, Improved Initiative)

Almost required for things like Siroket fight.

Desiderius

Patron
I think it was in those pics, it was the Sneaks and Faterender Marked Target thing that wasn't.

Yosharian

Arcane
Anyone else notice that Blinding Light's on-hit Blind effect doesn't seem to be working? Unless Wild Hunt are immune to Blind or something?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Defensive Abilities instinctive cooperation, wild grace; DR 15/
cold iron; Immune cold, blindness; Resist electricity 10, fire 10

but that's only Scouts

Yosharian

Arcane
The fuck, that's different to the PnP versions. Well, that would explain it then.

edit: Ohhh right I see, the monarchs and archers don't get the blindness immunity. that's weird tho cos I was testing against the monarch and I didn't see him getting blinded.

Shadenuat

Arcane
that IS a PnP version. monstruary 6.

aside from hp buff, wh is one of the rare mobs which are relatively pnp accurate.

Desiderius

Patron
I think Pink Eye is using the Fedora emote unironically, which is, you know, great, just don't try it in RL.

For the ironic, here's a schematic to clear matters up as regards NJ's Barbie Viv:

EU2pJKZXQAMkz-a

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm having some trouble undestanding the source of a d6 of divine damage I'm dealing. It's the third damage instance in the picture below, the one that has that little light-blue swirl next to the damage total:
hxMAfq8.png
All the buffs I use are here, but this particular time I have even less active effects, none of which should add 1d6 of divine damage. I also don't have any particular item that adds divine damage, this is my equipment: Hat of Mental Perfection, Amulet of Natural Armor, Shaman's Cloack, Protector's Robe, Ring of Circumstances, Daring Duelist, Bracers of Armor, Belt of Physical Perfection, Manticore Skin Boots, Star's Soldier Gauntlets.

I'm completely lost, I cant' understand where that divine dice comes from. Haplo, do you have any idea?

Hmm, can't say I know, NJClaw.
I had that icon (and similar damage instance) also, but I THOUGHT it was coming from River Fox Memento amulet. Which you haven't listed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom