Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter

grimace

Arcane

Julian LeFay says he doesn't play other games with factions. Then describes how a faction system will work in his game.

You think they might consider hiring a consultant?

I know just the man for the job.

11136.jpg

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Julian LeFay says he doesn't play other games with factions. Then describes how a faction system will work in his game.

Good, he is making his own thing and not ripping off every other game.

That's why Daggerfall is unique and there is nothing like there - because no one has the talent of Julian, and that's why Wayward will also blow away every other RPG to date.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Good, he is making his own thing and not ripping off every other game.
or maybe he's trying to reinvent a wheel

The wheel is already there (daggerfall) so at most he is making wheel+

Now with more corners

images

I've read this at first as 'now with more coomers'

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the more makabb shill a game the less excited i am about it. it's not because game looks bad but he's like the over persistent salesman who overhype their shit and made people annoyed instead of wanting to buy the product.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I wonder if they had shown us first in-game snippet, just like they did with the game name and music before, if yes, then I dig the Roman aesthetic :dance:

3hgIYEN.jpg

I'm going to echo what others have said, A sprite based artstyle similar to Daggerfall Unity and just as modable would be great. It would stop codex bitching because if they don't like how stylised or realistic the art is, you can just bolt on some fan art. The thing I like about Julian is that he's autistic enough to never spare you all the coding terminology idiots like me don't understand. I'd rather devs explain things to me like they reckon I have the capacity to understand it. I learn more from that. I can always look up what particular coding terminology means or ask my dev friends. And either way I end up with a greater understanding that this project is feasible. Watched the 3 hour interview and the subsequent ones. It certainly seems like the devs know what to do and aren't just skiving it off to some poor uni student with their mum's milk still wet on their face.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Julian has to be the most experienced coder on the planet ATM, he created Arena and Daggerfall, worked for 20 years as a non-game coder and now he brings that experience to create something new...... if anyone today can push the genre forward or atleast create something unique that has not been done before, it is him.

grimace

Arcane
Julian has to be the most experienced coder on the planet ATM, he created Arena and Daggerfall, worked for 20 years as a non-game coder and now he brings that experience to create something new...... if anyone today can push the genre forward or atleast create something unique that has not been done before, it is him.

I agree that Juilian is a capable programmer.

He cannot, however, create a game alone.

Molina

Savant

I agree that Juilian is a capable programmer.

He cannot, however, create a game alone.
He is not alone, he has an equip of dev under his order.

Farewell young Prince into the night

Will the combined cunning of Julianos and Sheogorath be enough to foster incline in a world where even the venerable Cain now creates chaff like Outer Worlds?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Will the combined cunning of Julianos and Sheogorath be enough to foster incline in a world where even the venerable Cain now creates chaff like Outer Worlds?

Cain is in a SJW company, Julianos and Sheogorath + Vijay + Eric + Don have their own company

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Cain is in a SJW company, Julianos and Sheogorath + Vijay + Eric + Don have their own company
but how do you know if their new company isn't "SJW company"?

Have you followed Outer Worlds thread? If yes, and if you follow this thread, then you know that this one is not.

Wunderbar

Arcane
but how do you know if their new company isn't "SJW company"?
Have you followed Outer Worlds thread? If yes, and if you follow this thread, then you know that this one is not.
because there is 0 info.

Lemming42

Arcane
I don't care if they're an "SJW company" or not, I just care that the game doesn't try to didactically lecture me on the dev's political views. The Outer Worlds didn't really do that either, though, and I'm not sure why people think it did, though I never finished it so maybe I missed something. The problem with that game was that it fucking sucked, not that it was preachy.

I think this game is inoculated against ever becoming preachy or hectoring, because the devs are so autistically hyperfocused on systems, mechanics and procedural generation that they won't even have time to write in a character who tells you what to think about modern-day issues.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did this fall victim to the 'rona, or did Mekabb?
It's been more than one month and their comatose website still only claims that
"Something wayward this way comes…"

Maybe they were talking about the virus, I guess?...
Anyway this is starting to look more and more like vaporware.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
They've mostly communicated via their Discord and Youtube channel from the start. I wouldn't say it's over yet but rather that it hasn't even started, and they've been pretty clear that there is no actual game yet and pre-production will take a while.

Gerrard

Arcane
Considering Makabb's record, I wonder what these guys did to earn his disfavor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom