Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade mods

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
A super outdated laptop should still be able to run the original version of Brytenwalda. Do you know if it can run Viking Conquest? Unfortunately, I don't think there are a lot of mods for M&B that aren't more resource intensive than the base campaign.
Of course the laptop might be able to run Dickplomacy.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Since I didn't find a recent thread that's just about the game in general, I'll ask my questions here.

Started playing this with no previous knowledge of the game. Didn't check guides or anything. For now I am very much enjoying this, it's freakin' awesome. Maybe mods are better but for now even the base game is great. There are some basic stuff I don't quite understand and maybe you could help:
  • How does the seed for armies work in real time battle ? I always control my own battle, and recently I had a battle that was much tighter than I thought it would, and then out of the blue I got a "Reinforcement arrived" message and my 15 mameluke cavalry came out of nowhere and crushed the opposition. Why weren't they already in the fight ? Do you always have some kind of reserve ? How do you decide what goes in reserve and what doesn't ?
  • I have played about 10h now. I have an army of 75 strong. But I feel at this rate, it's going to take me 50h before I can get an army big enough to take on a castle. They always have 150+ men inside, not counting that they'll have the advantage since they defend. Is there something I'm doing wrong ?
  • Money. I don't have problems maintaining my army. It cost me 2000 per week (almost) and I have 12000 on me. But I always have to do "milk run" either by pillaging villages, accepting stupid bandit quests or doing trade (which is one of the best method since it's easy). But I don't see how I could maintain an army of 125 or more, especially if I lose them to siege and I can't take that time to farm money. Again, is there something I'm missing ?
  • I see that Leadership/Charisma are key. But again, how long does it take to reach the point where you control an actual army instead of a warband that cannot do much ?
Thanks.

Modron

Arcane
How does the seed for armies work in real time battle ? I always control my own battle, and recently I had a battle that was much tighter than I thought it would, and then out of the blue I got a "Reinforcement arrived" message and my 15 mameluke cavalry came out of nowhere and crushed the opposition. Why weren't they already in the fight ? Do you always have some kind of reserve ? How do you decide what goes in reserve and what doesn't ?
The limit on battle size, set in the options menu, determines how many participants can be on the field at any moment. As enemies and/or your allied forces get whittled down they will get periodically reinforced provided you and/or the enemy have reserves past said limit.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
How does the seed for armies work in real time battle ? I always control my own battle, and recently I had a battle that was much tighter than I thought it would, and then out of the blue I got a "Reinforcement arrived" message and my 15 mameluke cavalry came out of nowhere and crushed the opposition. Why weren't they already in the fight ? Do you always have some kind of reserve ? How do you decide what goes in reserve and what doesn't ?
The limit on battle size, set in the options menu, determines how many participants can be on the field at any moment. As enemies and/or your allied forces get whittled down they will get periodically reinforced provided you and/or the enemy have reserves past said limit.
Thanks for the answer. Is it best to keep it low, or to have the whole army at the same time ?

Modron

Arcane
Thanks for the answer. Is it best to keep it low, or to have the whole army at the same time ?
Low battle size just makes everything easier, the larger a skirmish the less you'll be able to solo it or as heavily influence the outcome. Let personal taste/game performance dictate battle size, maybe consider it increasing it if you find the game getting easier as you acclimate to it.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Low battle size just makes everything easier, the larger a skirmish the less you'll be able to solo it or as heavily influence the outcome. Let personal taste/game performance dictate battle size, maybe consider it increasing it if you find the game getting easier as you acclimate to it.
And how is the choice of unit made ? Can I pick like "20 max" and only fight me and my boys the heavy cavalry ?

Modron

Arcane
Can probably find the exact formula on a wiki for the game, but essentially it draws primarily based on party order. When you go to your party screen you can move units up or down on the roster, this way you can shield fledglings from battle at the bottom of the roster and field your strongest units. Always nice to front load with companions as well since they just get knocked out in combat.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Brytenwalda
Damn, a non-native altering big mod that's allegedly twice the size of the native. Seems like my laptop won't be able to run for long playing hours without overheating, but thanks for the recommendation anyway :salute:

You can try playing in DirectX 7 mode, with all settings reduced and Battle Size at minimum.

warband%2Bdirectx%2B7.jpg

Game still looks ok, and framerate > fidelity.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I decided to take The Last Days of the Third Age for spin.

Is there any other Fantasy or Sci-fi single player mods worth checking out?
Other than medieval historical would be ok too, L'Aigle looks interesting.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

It has been suggested in this thread a few times, but Prophesy of Pendor meets the criteria.

Just be aware, it doesn't really play much like vanilla.

Sjukob

Arcane

It has been suggested in this thread a few times, but Prophesy of Pendor meets the criteria.

Just be aware, it doesn't really play much like vanilla.
Save yourself a headache and play Perisno instead.

If you want to go crazy you can try out Warsword, but mind that it tries to do things that M&B engine isn't good at, like magic. It's also pretty imbalanced and it's easy to abuse stuff, but the sheer variety and endless slaughter make it a pretty entertaining mod still. Some people report stability issues, I tried playing it for a while and personally haven't experienced crashes on the latest version and my PC is old.

And if you want to try something even crazier there's Paradigm Worlds. Mind that it's a mess, but it attempts to do some unique things that you won't find in the other mods, who knows, may be you'll like it.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Which mod has the best sieges?
Are the ones in Warsword or Viking Conquest any good?

Last edited:

Pocgels

Scholar
I played probably dozens of mods for warband years ago. There isn't really one that makes it look "vanilla but better", and I remember floris (along with other mods) had these HEMA animations which had the shirtless looters performing flourishes with their wooden clubs.

Brytenwalda is quite good without being as absurdly huge as some mods which have a village for every hamlet in Europe that had a population in the triple digits. It's harder than native, I think, but a lot of the early difficulty can be avoided by setting your background to a noble so you start with a horse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom