Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Qud (ROGUELIKE)

buffalo bill

Arcane
REGULAR UPDATEby Caves of Qud
POSTED
Fri, April 3
Tomb of the Eaters Feature Friday - April 3rd, 2020 (beta branch)

Tomb-related notes
  • We added some polish to the [redacted] sequence that starts in Resheph's burial chamber.
    • Added some sound and visual effects.
    • Smoothed out some issues with engraving tomb murals.
    • Added ASCII versions of the tomb murals and other objects in the burial chamber.
    • Refreshed Herododicus's dialog.
    • Added descriptions for Herododicus, imperial sarcophagus, imperial reliquary, gilded marble from the sultanate of Resheph, mural median, and mural endcaps.
    • [very redacted]

General notes
  • We made some changes to liquid and liquid pool behavior.
    • Objects now become coated in liquid more easily, and they also lose their liquid coatings more easily.
    • Liquid coating now bestows additional weight onto items.
    • Some liquids now weigh more than others.
    • Creatures moving through big pools of liquid now track the liquid around.
    • Footwear now protects you from being affected by small pools of liquid.
    • Swimming is now a status effect that penalizes movespeed and prevents creatures from taking move-related actions that require footing.
    • Pools smaller than the swimming threshold (1,000 drams) now use a different tile set.
    • Small puddles now evaporate over time.
    • Aquatic creatures now receive a -25 penalty to movespeed instead of the full -50. (The Swimming skill's +25 bonus offsets this penalty.)
    • Pathfinding now puts more weight toward pathing around large pools of liquids, even less deadly ones.
  • More autoexplore activities now respect the autoexplore options for ignoring easy and distant enemies.
  • Electromagnetic sensors and the following mutations now interrupt autoexplore and automove when you identify a hostile creature: Heightened Hearing, Heightened Smell, and Sense Psychic.
  • Autowalking on the worldmap now avoids the Rainbow Wood.
  • Autoexplore now passes through tiles that contain animated walls if those walls are in your party.
  • We changed the way acid damage is calculated. Exposure to either dilute acid or small acid pools now deals less damage.
  • Metal items now take quarter damage from acid.
  • Salty water now generates half as much steam when vaporized. Brackish water generates 90% as much.
  • Lacquered items now note in their descriptions that they repel liquids (this is behavior they always had).
  • Steam now only damages organic objects.
  • You can now retrieve items from owned containers that you put in them without triggering hostility.
  • The take-all command now skips the weight limit warning if you're already over your weight limit.
  • Lay Mine and Set Bomb now allow you to press escape from the explosive selection menu to abort the command.
  • Stairs, pits, and similar objects that represent open space can no longer be sucked into space-time vortices.
  • When you're selecting an item to equip from the equipment menu, items listed within a given category are now sorted in descending order by a rough utility evaluation. This sort method was there previously, but code was since introduced that disrupted it.
  • Colored text now displays more reliably across multiple lines in the text UI sidebar.
  • Added a black outline to the overlay XP and HP readout numbers.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented the penalties from the Engulfed status effect from being removed when the effect wore off.
  • [modding] We added a markup layer to our text coloring system. Example: {{red|this text will be red}}. This lets us treat color specification as a stack, so that text's color can be reset to the previously specified color at the end of a block. (Previously, we would try to emulate this behavior by resetting color to default grey [&y], but grey wasn't always the last specified color.) The markup layer also supports shaders that apply color patterns to text blocks. Color names and shaders are defined in a new moddable file, Colors.xml.
  • [modding] Added a "beguile" wish that forces the target into your party.
  • [modding] Med names may now be extended by applying the [MedNamesExtension] attribute and implementing the IMedNamesExtension { int Priority(); void OnInitializeMedNames( List<string> medNames ); } interface.
[*][modding] Fixed a bug that caused the JoppaWorldBuilderExtension and WorldBuilderExtension attributes to be ignored.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This looks to me like minutiae they could focus on when they've completed the game tbh.

buffalo bill

Arcane
POSTED
Sat, April 18
Tomb of the Eaters Feature Friday - April 17th, 2020 (beta branch)

Note: this update will break save compatibility. If you'd like to continue a save from a previous patch, you can switch back to that patch's branch. From Steam, right-click Caves of Qud > Properties > Betas > choose a branch. Last week's branch is 200.21.

Tomb-related notes
  • Added a new gas: miasmatic ash.
  • Grave moss now burns off into miasmatic ash.
  • We made changes and added some polish to the crematory.
    • Added industrial fans.
    • Funerary urns now have names and inscriptions.
    • Machine presses with only one piston now slam their target away instead of crushing it.
    • The support pillars in the catacombs now come up through the crematory.
    • Tweaked the layout of the conveyor belts and flame vents to be slightly more ordered.
    • Added new wall tiles and changed the colors of some existing tiles.
    • Replaced the existing machine room with a new one.
    • Fixed a bug with the ASCII rendering of machine press.

General notes
  • Fixed a bunch of text coloring bugs introduced last patch. There'll likely be some more, though.
  • We made some tweaks to liquid and liquid pool behavior.
    • We renormalized the volumes of all the puddles, pools, and rivers in the game. Swim-depth pools (over 2000 drams) are now much more rare.
    • Added a new status effect: wading. You now wade through pools of size 200-2000 drams. Wading gives -20 movespeed and interferes with some forms of movement, including sprinting.
    • Entering a swim-depth pool from land now displays a warning message and requires you to confirm movement.
    • Swim-depth pools now interrupt autowalk unless you are already swimming, flying, or out of phase with the pool.
    • Some common liquid covering descriptions are now less verbose.
    • Salt now only stains items when encountered in its pure form.
    • Made the container preference for liquid collection more consistent. The order is: containers designated for autocollection of the liquid, then devices that use the liquid, then containers that already contain pure liquid of that type, then empty containers.
    • You can now collect liquids into slotted liquid-fueled energy cells.
    • Collecting a liquid now reports on which containers the liquid was collected into.

• Small spheres of negative weight now add to your weight when they're broken or otherwise inoperative.
  • Psionic weapons with slotted cells now leave the cells behind when they evanesce.
  • Psionic weapons can no longer be modded with tinkering.
  • The [redacted] in Joppa now shows up in the alt display.
  • Wraith-knights now despawn if their phylacteries are destroyed for any reason.
  • Temporary items are now worthless, can no longer be cooked with, and can no longer have their bits harvested.
  • Temporal fugue clones now leave behind any items they had acquired after being conjured.
  • Eater's nectar injectors belonging to temporal fugue clones now affect only temporal fugue clones.
  • We made some tweaks to the looting menu in the classic UI.
    • The weights of takeable items are now displayed alongside the items themselves.
    • The menu now has an adaptive width to avoid cutting off item names.
    • Page up and page down now work more reliably.

• Encountering the following objects now interrupts autowalk: deep shafts, identified mines, aloes, spacetime rifts, and spacetime vortices.
  • Artifacts with proper names are no longer treated as having proper names while unidentified.
  • On the classic trade screen, we switched 'interact with the selected item' from the Tab key to the Space key. Tab now selects and deselects all items on the active column of the trade screen, as an analog to its take-all function in looting menus.
  • Ice frogs no longer sit in immobile confusion until approached.
  • Miner bots no longer generate mines based on modded grenades.
  • NPCs are now less interested in using random items from their inventories as improvised weapons.
  • Animating an object with Spray-a-Brain no longer causes every object of that type to be recategorized as a Creature.
  • Items generated as quest items no longer cause every item of that type to be recategorized as a Quest Item.
  • Answering no to using an unpowered advanced toolkit while autoexploring now interrupts the autoexplore, preventing message loops.
  • Fixed some issues with Page Up and Page Down failing to scroll correctly on the classic inventory screen with very large inventories.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the 'most recently played character' to net initialize properly.
  • [debug] Added a new wish, "reveal settlements", that reveals all dynamically generated settlements on the world map.
  • [modding] Fixed a bug that caused modded versions of Options.xml to fail to be initialized.
  • [modding] Implemented Myopia as an AdjustVisibilityRadiusEvent, allowing equipment and parts to adjust the visibility radius.
  • [modding] Restructured the loading of ObjectBlueprints.xml, solving many inheritance problems, most notably with Load="Merge" from mods.
  • [modding] Deprecated the GameManager.Instance.ViewData interface.
  • [modding] UI Views are now defined with the [XRL.UI.UIView] attribute on a class.
  • [modding] Increased the warning level output for the mod compiler, allowing modders to see previously hidden compiler warnings.
  • [modding] Updated the Modding Utilities link to the modding wiki: https://cavesofqud.gamepedia.com/Modding:Overview.
  • [modding] The Blueprint Browser now shows all properties on blueprints, in XML.
  • [modding] You can now select and copy in the Blueprint Browser.
  • [modding] Exposed a method to add a Wish handler. See https://cavesofqud.gamepedia.com/Modding:Wishes.
  • [modding] We made some enhancements to the map editor.
    • The map editor now loads with an empty map rather than looking like you're editing the main menu.
    • Added x-y coordinates for the mouse position and selected cell.
    • Holding Ctrl while hovering over an item in the blueprints list now displays a portion of the blueprint XML.
    • Added a checkbox on the blueprint filter to only show blueprints in use on the map.
    • Made the sidebar opaque.
    • Alt-clicking on a tile now properly set the brush even when you have no brush selected.

buffalo bill

Arcane
POSTED
Fri, April 24
Tomb of the Eaters Feature Friday - April 24, 2020 (beta branch)

Tomb-related notes:

• We added more polish to the crematory.
  • Redesigned the columbarium.
  • Added ASCII art to the look screen for urns.
  • Urn dusters now walk around dusting urns in the columbarium.
  • Fixed some bugs with the interaction of various crematory objects.
  • Added a visual effect for when objects are pushed by industrial fans.
  • Added descriptions for the following objects: conveyor drive unit, conveyor belt, rubber curtains, bones, ashes, industrial fan, miasmatic ash, machine wall, metal door, plastic tree, statue of Eater, full-spectrum bright sconce, elevator shaft, empty urn, marble walkway, sunflower, and scrapable deposit box.
  • Edited the ASCII glyphs for the entire crematory.
  • [Redacted]

General notes:
  • You can now use water to clean your stained equipment via inventory actions on either your water containers or your stained equipment.
  • You can now use the Walk keybind from the Look menu to autowalk to the tile you're looking at.
  • Offhand attacks work again.
  • Changed the glyph and tile colors of non-mayor quest givers in villages from dark green to bright yellow. Accordingly, we also changed Mehmet's color to bright yellow.
  • Girshlings you encounter outside of Red Rock no longer advance 'What's Eating the Watervine?'.
  • The water ritual now consumes a dram of liquid only when you initiate it instead of consuming one for every action you take during it.
  • Force fields you can pass through no longer interrupt automove regardless of their source.
  • Psychic hunters are no longer incorrectly interdicted on maps without reality stabilization.
  • Cybernetic implants that occupy an equipment slot are no longer shown twice in the implantee's description.
  • Temporary items can no longer be used as tinkering components.
  • Improved the grammar in "you pass by" messages.
  • Fixed a bug that caused Rebuke Robot to fail way more often than it should.
  • Fixed a bug that caused take-all to not work in the classic UI looting menu when the cursor was on a category rather than an item.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the 'Tweet this character build' button to not work.
  • [debug]Added a new wish, "factionencounter:<faction>", that generates a special faction encounter in your current zone. For example, wishing for "factionencounter:Templar" generates a Templar faction encounter. You can override the tier and level values for the zone, both of which affect the creatures generated for the faction encounter, like so: "factionencounter:<faction>:<tier>" and "factionencounter:<faction>:<tier>:<level>".
  • [modding] The ConversationScript part now supports a Color field that's used to specify a color or shader to be applied to the creature's conversation text.
  • [modding] Self-closing <mutation /> tags in the XML no longer skip the next mutation when they're loaded.
  • [modding] The new blueprints loader no longer crashes when given an <intproperty> with no Value (it assumes 0 instead).
  • [modding] Added Transform > Flip Vertical to the map editor.
  • [modding] Added File > Reload Blueprints to the map editor. This lets you reload ObjectBlueprints.xml without quitting and reopening the editor.

Blackmill

Scholar
Started playing again.

Got lost almost immediately. So I'm trying to find my bearings while wandering aimlessly through some marshy, forested region when a puma jumps me from nowhere. I'm in no shape to fight and run for my life. The puma nearly takes me down, but I zig-zag through an especially dense patch of reeds, and it loses me. I walk away with 2 hp and lucky to be alive.

Hurt, lost, and not about to turn back I trek onwards. Next map looks pretty tame, it's just plants... Nope. Should have fucking know. This is Qud where the plants spawn explosives, prey-seeking tumbleweeds. Got the hell out of there. Barely.

Alright, I still haven't found my bearings. Night is approaching and things are looking grim. Suddenly a glowing cat walks up to me. It's friendly and I follow it through the night as the only light source I have. Day breaks and I'm low on food. I really need to figure out where I am. Oh, and the puma's back. This time I fight. I get pretty lucky and kill the beast. After the battle, I spot a traveling merchant and I'm able to get directions.

Man, Qud is a fucked up place.

buffalo bill

Arcane
POSTED
Sat, May 2
Tomb of the Eaters Feature Friday - May 2, 2020 ('beta' branch)

Tomb-related notes:
  • We added polish to the architecture of the Tomb.
    • Added a new exterior caryatid wall and extended it up and down through the Z-dimension as appropriate.
    • Added support pillars beneath the Tomb.
    • Added structural ribs.
    • Swapped the locations of the Life and Death Gates.
    • Redesigned the Grand Vestibule.
    • Added a lot more graffiti to the robbers' cut.
    • Cleaned up the maps around the Liminal Way.
    • Moved the up staircases in the Folk Catacombs.
    • Replaced the Lace Stairways to the crematory with access corridors.

General notes:
  • The display format of some zone names has changed.
  • Inscribed funerary urns no longer report being empty.
  • You're no longer asked to drink from full urns as a quest step in dynamic quests.
  • Automove and rest are now interrupted by decarbonizer beams that are detectable to you by sight, sound, or smell.
  • When you're about to stop flying and you're at risk of taking fall damage (ie, at least one stratum above ground), you're now given an appropriate warning message.
  • Fixed a bug with acid gas that caused the game to hang.
  • Fixed a bug that caused items to retain more liquid than intended.
  • [modding] Added a new API, StatShifter, to Parts and Effects that helps track stat shifts. See https://cavesofqud.gamepedia.com/Modding:StatShifter.
  • [debug] Added a new debug option: "Show debug text for stat shifts".
  • [debug] Added a new wish, "showstatshifts", that displays a list of items and effects shifting your stats.
  • [modding] You can now select regions in the map editor by holding shift and dragging the select box over tiles. Ctrl-a selects the entire map.
  • [modding] Redesigned the "selected cells" region of the map editor. You can now delete, bulk replace, and set ownership on objects in the selected region.

Blackmill

Scholar
Gunslinger is going well. First time playing since cybernetics were added and I was stoked to find a Gun Rack and Finger Flexors implant near the Six Day Stilt. Then I remembered I was a mutant... :argh:

I probably should have been a true kin. I liked the idea of going max quickness with Adrenaline, but four guns is probably just better.

Blackmill

Scholar
Some newbie questions:

1. How do I harvest Yonderbrush? I found three of them, I have harvestry, but when I walk over the plant nothing happens. They don’t teleport. I read they need to be mature, will that happen in time?

2. All the rifle skills seem bad. Are any actually worth it?

3. When should I go to Golgotha? Char is:

- level 12
- high agi, high int, med toughness
- weapons: sniper rifle, desert rifle, mag hammer, missile launcher, could build a null ray pistol if I find nanocomponents.
- armor: elastyne suit.
- implants: one that boost accuracy with guns
- tonics: love injector, have two legendary distillers near Joppa though
- grenades: not much
- money: 200 but low ego, have 7 desalination pellets to make fresh water
- skills: tinkering II, akimbo, 700 unspent

Major Seven

Educated
Patron
Some newbie questions:

1. How do I harvest Yonderbrush? I found three of them, I have harvestry, but when I walk over the plant nothing happens. They don’t teleport. I read they need to be mature, will that happen in time?

2. All the rifle skills seem bad. Are any actually worth it?

3. When should I go to Golgotha? Char is:

- level 12
- high agi, high int, med toughness
- weapons: sniper rifle, desert rifle, mag hammer, missile launcher, could build a null ray pistol if I find nanocomponents.
- armor: elastyne suit.
- implants: one that boost accuracy with guns
- tonics: love injector, have two legendary distillers near Joppa though
- grenades: not much
- money: 200 but low ego, have 7 desalination pellets to make fresh water
- skills: tinkering II, akimbo, 700 unspent

1. You can only harvest mature Yonderbrush and if I remember correctly, the mature ones looks a little different (different colour).

2. No idea. I only use guns as backup (Steady Hands is all I need for that) and have never played a pure rifle/bow build.

3. If you've never been there, I would suggest to get a few more levels. Additionally you could spent a few skillpoints for Acrobatics -> Spry (+2DV) and for the Endurance skills (depends on what you like).

A few tipps:
- you should prepare for diseases and poisons before getting in
- a copy of Corpus Cholys can be useful
- bring a few drams honey (preventative effect on disease)
- be shure, that your recoiler works for getting out fast when you're done

Lacrymas

Arcane
If it ever leaves early access with this glacial development of the main path.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Extended development is fine, but at one point you should finish the damn game and then continue working on whatever else you want. Like other roguelikes.

Blackmill

Scholar
Longest run yet just ended. A Glow Wight (?) cast confuse on me, and while I killed it, I made the mistake of thinking there were no other enemies and waiting through the effect. The run was getting boring, though. Character progression had pretty much stopped against 99% of enemies. I had lucked into a Giant Hands implant, so I was dual wielding carbines, and even Magma Crabs died quickly. My only regret is I didn't get to try out the Swarm Rock I found at depth 30 in the Asphalt Mines. Also...

Turns out Psionic ammo exists. So I'm guessing Psionic anything exists. It would take an incredible amount of luck, but quad wielding 4 Psionic Phase Cannons / Eigenrifles on a high ego gunslinger is something I want to do now.

buffalo bill

Arcane
POSTED
Fri, May 8
Tomb of the Eaters Feature Friday ('beta' branch) - May 8, 2020

Tomb-related notes:
  • Expanded the Grand Vestibule to multiple maps.
  • Changed the Omonporch entry zone to a new map: Court of the Sultans.
  • Made various tweaks and enhancements to the Arcade to the Twin Gates.
  • Made various tweaks and enhancements to the Columbarium.
  • Made the Ezra and Arcade murals more authentic.
  • Added a bell tolling sound effect to the Bell of Rest.
  • Made Sixshrew a real merchant.
  • Gave dialog to Yla Haj and Warden 1-FF.
  • Tweaked Mayor Haddas's dialog.
  • Gave better equipment and wares to Yla Haj.
  • Gave several of the Tomb zones better names.
  • Gave sky maps more sensible names.
  • Added a cistern ruin to the east of the Arcade.
  • Added more graffiti to the robbers' cut.
  • Made some architectural changes to the Tomb outer walls and the Spindle chamber.
  • Added a new tile for rubble.
  • Added some more Eater statue and hologram tiles.

General notes:
  • Faction leaders now have their prowess more accurately judged and displayed in their look descriptions.
  • Autowalk, autoexplore, and rest are now interrupted when your companions engage in combat, take damage, or die, as long as they're visible or audible.
  • We changed the option "Maximum autoexplore squares/sec" to "Maximum automove squares/sec" and made it apply to all forms of automove.
  • Metal items now retain less liquid, and fur items retain more.
  • Quartzfur hats now message themselves as being made of quartz rather than glass.
  • Autocollect can now be disabled on empty waterskins.
  • Spiders no longer attack allied creatures that are stuck.
  • Player-controlled spiders no longer autoattack stuck creatures.
  • Destroying or teleporting a web now frees anything stuck in it.
  • When an object is phased multiple times, damage from being forced into phase by reality stabilization now occurs only when the last effect is terminated.
  • Changed the message when you try to remove an unremovable cybernetic implant.
  • Items that affect the chance of salvaging multiple bits, like advanced toolkits, are no longer used on items that can only ever disassemble into one bit.
  • The random-buy mutation choices should now be more stable for a given seed.
  • If you're out of 2+ point mutations to buy, you're now presented with 1-point mutations.
  • The look and target picker "Locked" status toggle is now remembered across games and reloads.
  • In the classic UI, the cooking menu now reutrns to the selected option instead of the top of the list when you choose a recipe to cook then decide go Back.
  • Dromad trader psychic thralls or domesticated slaves no longer generate map notes.
  • Geomagnetic discs can no longer spawn with elemental damage mods.
  • Made some improvements to geomagnetic disc pathing.
  • Fixed an improper item ownership warning when you tried to examine or disassemble items in the inventories of certain creatures you were dominating.
  • Fixed a bug that caused Flurry to not work on inanimate objects, which in turn caused NPCs with flurry to stand there inert instead of attacking inanimate objects they were angry at.
  • Fixed some bugs with color rendering and formatting in books.
  • Fixed a bug with liquid-fueled power consumption, such as in gyrocopter backpacks.
  • Fixed some performance issues with normality gas and norm cores.
  • [debug] Made wish string matching more accurate.
  • [debug] The "Do you really want to die?" promp no longer accepts space or enter as input.
  • [modding] The map editor now supports Ctrl-C to copy a selected region, which turns your brush into a rectangle the size of that region. Ctrl-click pastes the copied region, and right-click deletes the region bounded by the selected rectangle.
  • [modding] The map editor now properly renders most walls, water tiles, and fences.
  • [modding] The map editor now has tile previews in the blueprint selector.

buffalo bill

Arcane
REGULAR UPDATE
by Caves of Qud
POSTED
Sat, May 16
Tomb of the Eaters Feature Friday - May 15th, 2020 (beta branch)

Tomb-related notes:

• Added new tiles for Eater statues, Eater holograms, and urn duster.
  • Crypt sitters and conservators no longer cause unintended trouble in dynamic encounters.

General notes:

• New item mod: fitted with suspensors.
  • Mafeo now has a pickaxe for sale.
  • Excluded some more creatures from spawning as Mechanimist converts, including pulsed field magnets.
  • Added descriptions for the following objects: rubble, burnished azzurum (formerly aquamarine), banana rancher, hammock, brick, Warden 1-FF, Mayor Haddas, and Yla Haj.
  • Gave an ASCII makeover to the following objects: gravestones, unripe banana trees, Yla Haj, floor cushion, medium boulder, Zothom (also tweaked his tile colors), bookshelf, sign, power line, brick, woven basket, hammock, flux gauge, weathered wood, and sultan tomb murals.
  • Powered exoskeletons can now have a variety of item mods.
  • When you're under the effect of the gamma moth Mutating effect, random mutations you might acquire are now reseeded at some point during its duration.
  • Sheba Hagadias no longer succumbs to natural behavior like going on a pilgrimage or urn dusting.
  • Things without brains can no longer be dazed or stunned.
  • Holograms can no longer be harvested or butchered.
  • Small stones and large stones are no longer flammable.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the Golgotha chutes to generate disconnected.
  • Fixed a a bug that caused mouse movement to not work properly on the world map.
  • Fixed a bug that caused missile weapons to hit non-blocking inanimate objects in their paths.
  • Fixed a bug that caused merchants to spawn with double the inventory they're meant to.
  • Fixed a bug that immobilized aquatic creatures.
  • Fixed a bug that caused worn items effects to not go away when you removed the item.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused Barathrum's study to generate with a down staircase.
  • [debug] Space no longer accepts the 'Would you like to die?' prompt.

buffalo bill

Arcane
POSTED
Sat, May 23
Tomb of the Eaters Feature Friday - May 23, 2020 (beta branch)

Tomb-related notes

• The Tomb-dwelling pangoloids knows as the mopango have officially moved in.
    • Added or refined several types of mopango.
    • Added a new quest: The Buried Watchers. Talk to Zothom in Ezra.
    • Added a new quest: Fraying Favorites.
    • Strange entities now (officially) roam the Tomb.
    • Added a new legendary ooze, k-Goninon.
    • Added the repulsive device.
    • Added [redacted], [redacted], [redacted], and [redacted].

• We made some UI improvements to the Tomb-teleportation mechanic.
    • Changed the ASCII floor glyph for teleportation-safe tiles.
    • Added a new effect, tomb-tethered, to better message when creatures are safe from the teleportation effect of the Bell of Rest. Creatures are tomb-tethered when they both bear the Mark of Death and are occupying a tile that's teleportation-safe.
    • Fixed a bug that caused you to be Tomb-teleported back to the beginning of the crematory from the supposedly safe Columbarium.

• Fixed a bug that caused exit teleporters in Lower and Upper Crypts to send you all the way back to the catacombs.
  • Fixed a bug that caused issues at the recoming nook.

General notes

• Added new loading status indicator art.
  • The new stair tiles now look better when the 'Always highlight stairs' option is enabled.
  • Added a new Modding option: 'Select enabled mods on new game'.
  • "Press space" dialogs now close only when you press Escape, Enter, or Space.
  • Goatfolk can now give directions in conversations.
  • The overburdened status effect is now updated more reliably when your carrying capacity changes.
  • The weight display in the trade UI is now more accurate.
  • You no longer receive messages about merchants restocking if you're not in the same zone as they are.
  • Objects without bodies can no longer be knocked prone.
  • Save files now remember which mods are enabled and prompt you to re-enable those mods before loading.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the onset of fungal infections to sometimes be 8-10 turns instead of 2-3 days.
  • Fixed a bug that caused symbiotic fireflies to destroy themselves, and turn into "Objects", when equipped.
  • In the classic UI option screen, slider and selection options that don't fit well in one line now occupy two lines.
  • Exiting the world map now avoids placing you in cells where you would have to swim.
  • [modding] Fixed a bug that caused GlobalConfig.json to be unmoddable.
  • [modding] An objects can now set the ReplacementObject member of an ObjectCreatedEvent to return a replacement object instead of itself during object creation.

buffalo bill

Arcane
POSTED
Fri, May 29
Tomb of the Eaters Feature Friday - May 29, 2020 (beta branch)

General notes:
  • Added a water wheel and millstone to Joppa.
  • Bone worm corpses can no longer be included as part of the cure for fungal infections.
  • Pathfinding now strongly avoids tiles next to non-allied puffer fungi.
  • Moving within two squares of puffer fungi now interrupts automove regardless of your "ignore enemies" settings.
  • Eaters' nectar now re-randomizes your potential mutation buys.
  • Meditation no longer instantly cures bleeding. Instead, it now triples the rate of recovery from more negative status effects, including bleeding.
  • To account for the recent liquid pool changes, bilge sphincters now provide a movespeed bonus in liquid pools of 200+ drams instead of 1000+.
  • The weights of takeable items are now always shown in their short descriptions.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused evaporating liquids to leave behind liquid volumes with no component liquids.
  • Fixed a bug that caused resource exhaustion and error spam in the output log in some long-running games.
  • Fixed some bugs that caused the decarbonizer beam selection to sometimes error out or create an infinite loop.
  • Fixed a bug with Temporal Fugue and other cloning mechanisms that caused stat shifts to become permanent.
  • [debug] Added a wish, "clearstatshifts", to remove temporary stat shifts, even including shifts from items you have equipped or active status effects. To regain those stat shifts, you'll have to re-equip those items or re-up the effects.
  • [modding] We changed the implementation for how MinEvents are dispatched. Modders who are handling a MinEvent in one of their IParts (e.g. bool HandleEvent( EnteringCellEvent ev ) need to update each HandleEvent declaration to include 'public override' (e.g. public override bool HandleEvent( EnteringCellEvent ev )) in order for that event to be dispatched properly to the part.

buffalo bill

Arcane
POSTED
Sat, June 6
Tomb of the Eaters Feature Friday - June 6, 2020 (beta branch)

• Autoexplore now seeks out and examines objects that contained unrevealed secrets in their descriptions.
  • Giant beetle and beetlebum corpses can now be butchered for raw beetle meat, which can be preserved as beetle jerky.
  • Items no longer weigh more when covered in liquid.
  • Waterskins, canteens, and similar liquid containers are now repellent to certain types of liquids.
  • Quests no longer ask you to find forgotten ruins or use forgotten ruins as landmarks.
  • Displacer bracelets now have power switches.
  • Waiting for a specified number of turns now shows a countdown next to the loading status indicator.
  • Boxes of crayons now let you choose which color to draw with and draw in tiles you're adjacent to. Also, drawing now has an action cost.
  • Graffitied text now appears in the color of the graffiti on the object glyph.
  • Bloated pearlfrogs no longer ignore phase when pulling creatures with their tongues.
  • Being frozen now interrupts sprinting and other movement or body-positioning effects.
  • The harvest action now has a higher default priority than the chat action when both are present.
  • Snail eggs and luminous motes are no longer used as quest items.
  • Albino ape pelts can no longer be eaten. As a result, you now control their autopickup status via the autopickup trade goods toggle instead of the autopickup food toggle.
  • In the trade screen, you can now use the keyboard (not numpad) number keys to specify a number of whatever is currently selected to trade.
  • PgUp and PgDn can now be used on the Reputation and Skills screens.
  • The Skills screen now reserves a consistent amount of screen space for skill descriptions rather than adjusting the space depending on the description length. Some descriptions have been edited to accommodate this.
  • You'll no longer encounter creatures standing in the same tile as a closed door.
  • The walk command no longer generates an error if used in on the edge of a zone.
  • Mutations picked at character creation now properly update their stat shifts when leveled.
  • Doors can no longer be closed on creatures or movement-blocking objects that occupy the same tile.
  • Village catchbasins are now owned by the village faction.
  • Made some large performance improvements to the prerelease stage view.
  • Fixed a bug that caused some activated abilities to remain on the ability menu after those abilities were lost.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the loss of some equipment benefits when using Temporal Fugue.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed holographic plants to be harvested.
  • Fixed a bug that indicated incorrect directions toward a detected hostile when automove was interrupted and that hostile was in an another zone.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the genome destabilization message from the Mutating effect to be displayed for you even when you weren't the one mutating.
  • Fixed a bug that broke a previous intervention to make wraith-knights summoned by extradimensional phylactery squires friendly to their squires.
  • Fixed a bug that caused weeped liquid and primordial ooze to fail to mix in the Rainbow Wood.
  • Fixed a bug that made the hidden PhasedWhileStuck effect visible.
  • Fixed a bug that caused certain pronouns to morph into "They" after games had been saved and reloaded.
  • Fixed the subtype text being too large during character creation.
  • Fixed a typo in items that affect move speed.
  • [modding] You can now undo the "fill" action in the map editor.
  • [patreon] Sheba Hagadias can no longer spawn as Either/Or. To install this change, you'll need to re-redeem Either/Or's pet code.

buffalo bill

Arcane
REGULAR UPDATE by Caves of Qud
POSTED
Sat, June 13
Tomb of the Eaters Feature Friday - June 13, 2020 ('beta' branch)

Tomb-related notes
  • We made several gameplay and polish enhancements to the cherubim.
    • Cherubim are now better protected against missile weapons and freezing attacks.
    • Revamped cherubim stats and natural weapons.
    • Learned cherubim now properly discharge clockwork beetles.
    • Added descriptions.
    • Added cherubim to dynamic encounters.
    • Gave cherubim appropriate ASCII glyphs.
  • Gave appropriate names and descriptions to carved stone and gilded marble from the various periods of the sultanate.
  • Added descriptions for mural endcaps and mural medians.

General notes:
  • We made some changes to sparking baetyl rewards.
    • Item rewards are now much better.
    • Item rewards now scale with both the baetyl's zone difficulty and the tier of the demanded item.
    • Reduced the maximum number of demanded items to six.
  • Baetyls asking for Templar phylacteries no longer ask for the phylacteries of specific people.
  • Trees are now stronger and tougher.
  • Attacking into a frozen zone now thaws it. This is most relevant when attacking up or down stairs.
  • Removing energy cells from owned items now angers their owners.
  • You can now pour into equipped liquid containers.
  • When selecting a container to pour a liquid into, containers that already contain that liquid now appear at the top of the list.
  • Smart use on environmental liquid pools and liquid containers now opens the interaction menu rather than going directly into the pour-into-container action.
  • Cleaning yourself using liquid from an owned vessel now potentially angers its owners.
  • Gave the following objects better ASCII glyphs: sultan shrines, Asphodel, Asphodelytes, walkways, various vessels, and yawning gap.
  • Made some improvements to creature pathfinding.
  • Rebekah's tombstone no longer shows up in dynamic contexts.
  • Fix-It spray foam and other applicators, when unidentified, no longer reveal themselves when you back out of an interaction.
  • The water ritual can no longer be used to obtain unlimited cybernetics credit wedges.
  • Shank now respects phase and flight.
  • Sheba Hagadias will no longer lay mines if a miner or deploy turrets if a turret tinker.
  • Fixed a bug that caused some village tinkers to not be members of their village's faction.
  • Fixed a bug that caused companions to take steps in the wrong order when trying to follow their leader.
  • Fixed a bug that caused one-shotting a creature to fail to trigger hostility in the creature's nearby allies.
  • Fixed a bug that caused camel bladders to fail to negate the weight of the liquid in them when worn.
  • Fixed some bugs in water ritual option coloring.
  • Fixed a bug in tiling of liquid pools as they change size.
  • Fixed a bug that made snapjaw forts, starapple farms, and pig farms not generate properly in village outskirts.

buffalo bill

Arcane
POSTED
Sat, June 20
Tomb of the Eaters Feature Friday - June 19, 2020 (beta branch)

Tomb-related notes:
  • Did some bugfixing, polish, and performance work on the crypt levels of the Tomb of the Eaters. More to come next week.

General notes:
  • Added some new recoilers.
  • Added a new command to autoattack your current target in melee: Ctrl-A by default. When autoattacking, you pathfind toward your target if necessary and attempt to melee attack them. All the conditions that interrupt automove also interrupt autoattack, with one exception: if your target is the only hostile in sight, their presence does not interrupt you.
  • Added a new "Ignored Keys" keybind. Keys bound to this entry are completely ignored. (This is useful for reserving a push-to-talk or screenshot key, for example.)
  • Renamed human child to woodsprog.
  • Linear cannons can be tinkered now.
  • You can now path through locked doors when you're carrying the appropriate key card.
  • You now get a message when you try to swap places with a non-hostile creature but can't for some reason.
  • Losing sight of your target now interrupts automove.
  • NPCs are now less avoidant of slime pools.
  • Changed the way heirlooms gifted during the Spindle negotiation are generated and made their types respect the text in Heirlooms of Qud.
  • Elevator and door switches can now be flipped via the interaction menu.
  • Space-time vortices and rifts are no longer be pushed by forces like explosions.
  • The AV bestowed by the Quills mutation now returns to the max value when your quills regenerate.
  • You can now properly access help from the main menu with '?'.
  • Visiting the waterlogged tunnel no longer counts as visiting Red Rock.
  • If you are stuck and adjacent to a deep pool, you only receive the swimming confirmation message the first time you try to move into the pool.
  • Fixed a bad interaction when the snapjaw who wields Stopsvalinn generates as a villager.
  • Numpad '/' now shows and hides the prerelease stage message log.
  • Tables no longer change their tile when you remove and return the same object.
  • Removed the small per turn time delay while asleep.
  • Fixed several issues that caused gas-generating creatures to not be immune to their own gas.
  • Fixed some rare situations where the player didn't get a turn immediately following a game load.
  • Fixed a bug that caused illuminated books to not have their display names altered.
  • Fixed a bug in the way graffiti displayed on tombstones.
  • Fixed a bug that caused reloading a linear cannon to always reload the energy cell instead of its slugs.
  • Fixed a rare exception in the Multihorns mutation that prevented saved games from loading.
  • Fixed a typo in soul curd's description.
  • [modding] Enabled anonymous access to workshop content.
  • [modding] The starting location selector is no longer shown if a genotype or subtype has a defined starting location.

buffalo bill

Arcane
POSTED
Fri, June 26
Tomb of the Eaters Feature Friday - June 26, 2020 ('beta' branch)

Tomb notes:
  • Finished the bugfixing and polish work in the crypts.
  • Added a new liquid: brain brine.
  • [redacted]

General notes:
  • Occasionally, upon gaining a level, completing a quest, performing the water ritual, or defeating a legendary foe, you may now become inspired to name one of your items.
  • The swimming confirmation message is now toggleable via the option in the Prompts menu.
  • Reputation change messages now include your new reputation and inform you if the faction's overall attitude toward you has changed.
  • The reputation changes incurred by violating the water ritual are now displayed in a single message.
  • You can now add notes to items in your inventory and equipment. The notes appear in the item's short description.
  • A given attack can now only have a block attempt performed with one shield. The limit on the number of attacks per turn that can be blocked is now per-shield; if you have multiple shields equipped, you will attempt to block a given attack using the best shield that you can presently use.
  • You can no longer shield block while frozen, paralyzed, burrowed, or otherwise unable to freely move your limbs.
  • Baetyls no longer care about differently-colored display names in the items they request.
  • The fill action on liquid containers can now be used on any container that is not full, not just empty containers.
  • You now prefer to autouse liquids that aren't stored in functional containers like liquid-cooled firearms.
  • Becoming famished now interrupts autoact.
  • Creatures that are fleeing no longer count as visible hostiles.
  • Creatures that try to keep their distance from the player now only count as visible hostiles at close range.
  • Grenades are no longer destroyed before hitting the ground when thrown into a tile with acid gas.
  • Flashbang grenades now affect a circular area instead of a square.
  • Glowmoths can now use their gaze attack at point blank range.
  • Baetyls no longer care about taking small amounts of damage, but they become... significantly irritated... by larger amounts.
  • Only creatures who are able to engage in combat and can move their limbs now count for the purposes of preventing charge and causing missile weapons to fire wildly.
  • Missile weapons that use spray fire ammo (shotguns, pumps, point-defense drones, and flamethrowers) now indicate in their short description that they aren't subject to firing wildly when multiple enemies are adjacent.
  • Bows now display their loaded arrows' penetration and damage value.
  • Made weapon class display, strength cap, and accuracy information the color of rules text.
  • Creatures now go prone if they can when they fall asleep for any reason, not just when they voluntarily go to sleep on a bed.
  • Equipped objects now match the temperature of the object they're equipped on.
  • Made most organic items leave behind ashes when they burn up.
  • Ashes no longer catch fire.
  • Village outskirts now properly have above and belowground features.
  • When you run out of water while traveling, you now receive a message and a chance to stop rather than only getting notified when you become life-threateningly dehydrated.
  • The Bleeding effect is now described differently for creatures that do not have blood.
  • The environmental item picker now refreshes when a taken action changes the list of items displayed, such as when an item is broken off a stack.
  • The visual effects for being frozen, slowed due to temperature, or on fire now have higher visual priority.
  • The Tinkering screen bit locker now displays the glyph for each bit type of bit next to its name.
  • The Spindle negotiation menu now uses alphabetic hotkeys rather than numeric in order to prevent numpad-based selection accidents.
  • Objects that are cloned while phased now properly assume their normal phase.
  • Relics and extradimensional missile weapons now occasionally generate as armor-negating.
  • Graftek-granted stat changes now count as permanent in all the usual ways.
  • Added damage and penetration displays to thrown weapons.
  • Fixed a bug that caused some non-blood-having creatures to bleed blood.
  • Fixed a bug that caused simply targeting a creature to make it hostile.
  • Fixed some bugs that caused several sensory effects to fail to detect walk-walking creatures.
  • Fixed linear cannon penetration display.
  • Fixed some issues that caused you to retain your marked target after using a special shot.
  • Fixed a bug where pouring into a container you are emptying took the current contents of the container into account even though they were being emptied.
  • Fixed a bug that caused missile weapons to display a damage message even when the damage was prevented.
  • Fixed a bug that caused autoexplore to fail to seek out the secret-bearing mural in the village of Ezra.
  • Fixed a bug with phase web animation.
  • Prevented some rare corner cases where objects were destroyed multiple times.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the 'show effects' menu to improperly linger beneath other windows when opened and closed.
  • [modding] Effects may now whitelist themselves for most deep copy operations by overriding allowCopyOnNoEffectDeepCopy and returning true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom