Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Alien: Hope For The Future - upcoming Alien fan game

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Inb4 C&D letter from 20th Century Studios...

In development since 2017, the game takes place during the Hadley's Hope colony incident, their youtube channel has a bunch of videos.

Curratum

Yeah, thanks a lot, I don't need more vaporware in my life. I'll stick to fan content you can play right now, like Aliens Eradication.

Scarlet Lilith

Learned
This looks super janky, but moreover, hasn't this been done to death already? This has already been the setting of classic shooters like the old Alien versus Predator game to newer offerings such as Colonial Marines. If you compare this setup and setting to something like another IP, like Star Wars or whatever, it is so limited in scope. What is it about Hadley's Hope in particular that makes devs want to replicate it? What's so fascinating about those lame steel corridors and the alien hive? LV-426 was pretty cool and mysterious when you watched Alien for the first time and the cosmonauts stepped into the big unknown of a strange alien landscape, harsh winds and mist and then encountering the ancient cosmic derelict. That was pretty exciting, but by the sequel the planet had lost its mystique, it was colonized and boring, as was the alien. So the film was action schlock about blasting bugs instead of mystery and bio-mechanical rape aliens.

So there really isn't much for a game to use there, only stale cliches of both plot and aesthetics, completely inert and dull. If you wanted to harvest something from the Alien films at this point it should either be Giger's style, which hasn't really been fully explored in video games yet, or something which hasn't been used from the films at all, such as the mythical and religious motifs mixed with a space monster plot like what was present in Alien³. You could even extract a bunch of good ideas from Prometheus, which had a great setup but very poor plotting and characterization. Personally I thought Hadley's Hope was nice in Aliens TC but after playing AvP I felt I had my fill. Even if you're just ripping off the first Alien film wholesale like Alien Isolation did that's still more fresh and interesting.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
This looks super janky, but moreover, hasn't this been done to death already? This has already been the setting of classic shooters like the old Alien versus Predator game to newer offerings such as Colonial Marines. If you compare this setup and setting to something like another IP, like Star Wars or whatever, it is so limited in scope. What is it about Hadley's Hope in particular that makes devs want to replicate it? What's so fascinating about those lame steel corridors and the alien hive? LV-426 was pretty cool and mysterious when you watched Alien for the first time and the cosmonauts stepped into the big unknown of a strange alien landscape, harsh winds and mist and then encountering the ancient cosmic derelict. That was pretty exciting, but by the sequel the planet had lost its mystique, it was colonized and boring, as was the alien. So the film was action schlock about blasting bugs instead of mystery and bio-mechanical rape aliens.

So there really isn't much for a game to use there, only stale cliches of both plot and aesthetics, completely inert and dull. If you wanted to harvest something from the Alien films at this point it should either be Giger's style, which hasn't really been fully explored in video games yet, or something which hasn't been used from the films at all, such as the mythical and religious motifs mixed with a space monster plot like what was present in Alien³. You could even extract a bunch of good ideas from Prometheus, which had a great setup but very poor plotting and characterization. Personally I thought Hadley's Hope was nice in Aliens TC but after playing AvP I felt I had my fill. Even if you're just ripping off the first Alien film wholesale like Alien Isolation did that's still more fresh and interesting.

Alien nerddom was ostensibly born from Aliens, not alien, and nerds in general are creatively bankrupt and want to relive things over and over and over again, so it should come as no surprise.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
A bunch of shots of overly detailed animations taking place during extended scripted sequences with no remote explanation of what the basic gameplay will be like (other than slowly walking around at 15fps). This was made by modders right?

Scarlet Lilith

Learned
Alien nerddom was ostensibly born from Aliens, not alien, and nerds in general are creatively bankrupt and want to relive things over and over and over again, so it should come as no surprise.
I suppose so, it just seems so weird to me that anyone would put so much effort into making something that not only has already been replicated in a video game format before, but several times over at this point. That you'd beat a horse this dead.

Monk

Arcane
A few more clips, but not much. Jump to the 1:10 and 2:00 marks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom