Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Omega Syndrome: Game lost to time? [FOUND]

Codex Year of the Donut
Is anyone capable of locating a full copy of this? It seems only a few people ever got their grubby hands on it.

image.png

---
tl;dr: I archived a working copy of the final version here
https://archive.org/details/omega-syndrome

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I second that.

Some time ago I also tried to locate a working copy of Omega syndrome (propably the version most close to Fallout, without permadeath) but had no luck. The guy no longer sells it and it is nowhere to be found on the usual abandonware sites.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Lord_Potato said:
I just found this thread with some more pearls, some of them, like Omega Syndrome, completely unavailable:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/ten-computer-rpgs-you’ve-never-heard-of.99368/
IIRC Omega Syndrome is actually developed by long time codex resident Davaris , maybe you can bug him for where to get a copy. It has a very interesting premise.

Even I don't have a working copy, as it uses outdated tools and programming practices I now despise. If I ever get motivated I may remake it in curses with no GUI, just Vim style commands. Of course that means no one will want to play it. lol

from the http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/really-obscure-rpgs.119370/page-7#post-5408242

So, if one has a full copy, at least give to Davaris so maybe one day he'll decide to update the game... :)

Modron

Arcane
Is anyone capable of locating a full copy of this? It seems only a few people ever got their grubby hands on it.

Yeah this one is dead Jim unless some random poster here, DaC, or NMA just happens to have it it's been lost to the sands of time.

Granted even if someone does it wasn't ever successful enough for anyone to notice and circumvent the copy protection unfortunately.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Guys over there did find a demo and the latest patch (not applicable to the demo, ofc). Still no luck with the main game.
And then there is the copy protection issue.

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
There's a chance I might have this somewhere on an old drive. I believe I actually purchased it from the developer too, will look through my email.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well it seems Scarlet Lilith posted the full version. It needed a dll, but I downloaded it and put it in the folder and it runs. It's fixed in 800x600 and for some reason it doesn't want to go full screen for me. So i open it on windowed mode. I just run it to see if it's working and it seems to be. Looks like it's party-based even if you start with one character. Looks interesting.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wanted to try it but it doesn't run. Trying to run the exe, program stops responding right after the splash screen :negative:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It needed a dll, but I downloaded it and put it in the folder and it runs.

Which DLL?
needed msvcp50.dll for me, but I'm using wine. I have no idea what redistributable that's from -- wine doesn't even have documentation on it.
Won't even run in wine?
Now that adds some extra obscurity :lol:

msvcp50.dll should be from around Vista time, if I'm not mistaken. Should be easy enough to find on one of the many dlldump, etc. sites.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Which DLL?
msvcp50.dll, it will tell you if it's missing.

[edit] I run it in win7. Maybe you need to add some older windows compatibly when you run it?

I'm running Win7 64bit.

Dumped the DLL into both the game install folder and my system32 folder. Doesn't help. The program still hangs up after the splash screen, or the process just plain vanishes.

I installed it on J:\Games\AusGameDev\OmegaSyndrome so maybe it wants to be on C:\ ?

Codex Year of the Donut

Which DLL?
needed msvcp50.dll for me, but I'm using wine. I have no idea what redistributable that's from -- wine doesn't even have documentation on it.
Won't even run in wine?
Now that adds some extra obscurity :lol:

msvcp50.dll should be from around Vista time, if I'm not mistaken. Should be easy enough to find on one of the many dlldump, etc. sites.
It's from visual studio 97, the very first version.
It was replaced with visual studio 6.0 a year later(lol, microsoft naming schemes...), meaning only a handful of applications likely depend upon it. Presumably so few that wine has managed to get by without a single bug report on it missing for two decades. Last windows version to include it was windows XP.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's from visual studio 97, the very first version.
It was replaced with visual studio 6.0 a year later(lol, microsoft naming schemes...), meaning only a handful of applications likely depend upon it. Presumably so few that wine has managed to get by without a single bug report on it missing for two decades. Last windows version to include it was windows XP.
Wow, that's crazy. I was certain I saw that file a few times around the Vista time (well, I might have), so I assumed it was from then.
That's... pretty old.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
I'm running Win7 64bit.

Dumped the DLL into both the game install folder and my system32 folder. Doesn't help. The program still hangs up after the splash screen, or the process just plain vanishes.

I installed it on J:\Games\AusGameDev\OmegaSyndrome so maybe it wants to be on C:\ ?
Try running the exe through Dependency Walker, it will show you which libraries it will try to pull from and whether it could be loaded or not.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Doesn't seem to be about missing DLL files. Dependency Walker gives me some issues but those are apparently just incompatibilities of the program with Windows 7 and newer systems, so false positives.

The process just craps out at the splash screen and doesn't even give me any errors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom