Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Zanzoken

Arcane
So I just started a new game and I'm finding that I already have negative relations with a lot of notables, thus making it impossible for me to recruit troops from them at the outset.

I think it has something to do with personality traits now having a small effect on default relations. I decided to take all the backgrounds that increase Charm, including the one that gives you a lot of good guy traits like Generous, Honorable, etc. And there are quite a few people that won't do business with me, mostly gang leaders who I assume have a lot of the opposite traits.

Quillon

Arcane
hitting with the spear without couching is easier than warband.

I was playing without using couching, now that I lookied it up & tried it I'm hitting 2-3x the normal timed attacks, instant death. Noice.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

Zariusz

Arbiter
too bad Sturgians are more Rus inspired than Norse

It's because the nords haven't arrived yet.
They could put some minority villages or some recruiter in villages that give different troops. Not only subfaction with different troops but there are theee cultures without faction that are nord, vakken (forest people) and non-fremen.
The minor factions all have their own units, don't they?
Yeah but some of them dont have finished stats, before i edited ember faction all tiers had same stats.

deuxhero

Arcane
(Realized I posted this in the wrong thread before.)

https://bannerlord.party/banner/

Turns out the banner system supports far more complex editing then the game actually allows. You can build a banner with this website then import it into the game by pasting the banner code* into the game. Really, the biggest thing the system is missing right now is a teardrop shape.

*If you weren't already aware, you can press ctrl c on the facegen or banner page to generate a plaintext key that can be copied and used in-game by pressing ctrl+v on the same screens.

Aemar

Arcane
9mec1q82wqq41.jpg

Black Angel

Arcane
I didn't pay much attention to this thread, and haven't get the chance to play more of the game, but is there any arena melee fights in the game? If so, how is it? I really hate it how in both vanilla and Warband, when participating in arena melee, multiple participants would randomly immediately ganged up on me. It's so stupid and so dumb. At the very least I hoped that they would fix the AI to only target the closest to their spawn point instead of running across the arena to target you.

Peachcurl

Cipher
I didn't pay much attention to this thread, and haven't get the chance to play more of the game, but is there any arena melee fights in the game? If so, how is it? I really hate it how in both vanilla and Warband, when participating in arena melee, multiple participants would randomly immediately ganged up on me. It's so stupid and so dumb. At the very least I hoped that they would fix the AI to only target the closest to their spawn point instead of running across the arena to target you.

I don't exactly remember this happening in Warband (may be alzheimer).

Anyways:
* Yes, there are arena fights ("practice" is always available and "tournament" only at specific times similar to Warband)
* They tend to attack the nearest target. More or or less. When the nearest target changes, they sometimes keep on target for a while. So the archer who was targeting you will probably shoot you, even though someone else is running closer to him during the targeting time frame.
* In close-up melee, they tend to target whoever damaged/hit them last, but not deterministically (sometimes, they change targets after a few received hits).
* Some target changes are near-immediate: if an archer targets you, but loses line-of-sight on you (due to wall/tree/etc), he will immediately change towards another target in his LOS. Sometimes this leads to archers shooting while they are still turning towards a new target, with the arrow going off-target completely.

Black Angel

Arcane
I don't exactly remember this happening in Warband (may be alzheimer).
I'm currently trying the Bannerpage mod for Warband, trying to accumulate XP and denars by participating in arena melee as a starter. They rather frequently ganged up on me from the very start, going as far as running across the arena to target me even though someone else is chasing them from behind. Might be the AI alteration by the mod, but I remembered clearly it happened often in Warband and even vanilla.

Barbarian

Arcane

Just checked, there is actually a nord culture in the game files, just not implemented. I suppose they are the "sea raiders" we see around the game? Anywa, they have random names and everything, so I was able to mod companions with this culture. Not sure if it would bug anything down the line(will not try to make any of these companions lords or anything, they don't have troop trees and such I think).

There is also a "Darshi" culture which is supposed to be off-map and inspired by Ethiopia. There is an unimplemented NPC hero companion who is supposed to be a monk from this culture.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
From reading around and doing some basic testing myself:

So the game really does not need anywhere near 8 gigs of RAM to run well (like 4 gigs for the application seems to be enough), it just reserves (or something) too much RAM and may even keep on increasing the reserved amount over time (or maybe it does have a leak additionally).
Once that reaches the limits (or near enough) of your amount of RAM, Windows starts fucking around with the page file.
If you have an HDD it may be preferred over any SSD regardless of page file settings (?) and then you get that thing with massive HDD activity and everything coming to a halt.
If only SSDs are present, then maybe their speed can mitigate the performance issues resulting from this, not sure.
If only HDDs are present, then you're completely fucked.
If you have a mixture, then unplug your HDD and see if that fixes the problem (if you have the relevant stuff on the SSD).

Either way mostly a developer issue, it seems, coupled with certain Windows behavior (although I'm not sure if that part can be fixed with some tweaks of the settings).

This game should be CPU bound in single player due to the A.I. even on relatively old systems, and their CPU requirements do seem to reflect that.

Should run like a dream (big sieges with intense A.I. stuff aside) once they finally fix this. Just disappointing to see such a big issue after such a long dev time.

One thing that should absolutely NOT be necessary is buying more than 8 gigs of RAM, at least not for this game... Even if 16 is a better baseline for win 10 users.
You also should not actually need an SSD at all (unless you want the faster loading times). 8 gigs of RAM and an HDD can run this fine if the bug is fixed, I think.

vota DC

Augur

Just checked, there is actually a nord culture in the game files, just not implemented. I suppose they are the "sea raiders" we see around the game? Anywa, they have random names and everything, so I was able to mod companions with this culture. Not sure if it would bug anything down the line(will not try to make any of these companions lords or anything, they don't have troop trees and such I think).

There is also a "Darshi" culture which is supposed to be off-map and inspired by Ethiopia. There is an unimplemented NPC hero companion who is supposed to be a monk from this culture.
Interesting heroes are the uninplemented ones. Some seems even more interesting than warband ones. There is also a joke female hero: an Imperial matron with zero skills and feminist agenda.
The different cultures are tied to subfactions and are in game, Just press N in map mode and you will find them.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

Honestly wouldn't mind them expanding the realm long term.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.

Interesting heroes are the uninplemented ones. Some seems even more interesting than warband ones. There is also a joke female hero: an Imperial matron with zero skills and feminist agenda.
The different cultures are tied to subfactions and are in game, Just press N in map mode and you will find them.
Thankfully, there's already mod for that. But it seems those NPCs are mostly geared towards just one bonus skill outside of combat. Eg. I couldn't find a single one with both tactics & leadership, even though some quests require them both to be delegated.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/123605-mount-blade-ii-bannerlord-early-access-reviews.html

PC Gamer:

Those issues aside, Bannerlord doesn't feel much like an Early Access game. This isn't because it feels finished or balanced, which it absolutely doesn't, but because there's already so much for you to lose yourself in. You could fill multiple games with it. Even after a week of exploring Calradia, there are plenty of avenues I've barely ventured down, and this is just the beginning. Mods are already appearing, and we've got around a year of updates ahead of us. There's no harm in waiting for it to leave Early Access, but Bannerlord is already a capable sandbox, primed to spit out all sorts of emergent stories and infinite battles.

Eurogamer:

Bannerlord may not be finished and I suspect it won't be finished for a long time to come. It can be repetitive and unfair, many of its systems aren't up to scratch just yet and it's not uncommon to see the game crash or for you to run into some bizarre bug along the way. But at the same time, despite all of that, it is so much bloody fun. This is the very definition of Eurojank and I couldn't be happier to have it in my hands after all this time.

IGN:

It’s easy to focus on all the ways Mount & Blade II is still stuck in a rut starting out, but Bannerlord is an onion with lots of new layers to show once you start to really dig into it. Especially for an early access game, it’s ambitious and reasonably well-polished, even if it still has a long way to go. And with the huge graphical and general usability improvements, a latter-day rehash of Warband – one of my favorite games of the last decade – isn’t even a bad thing by itself when you get right down to it. I look forward to continuing my journey from pauper to king, and sharing my thoughts on the battles and dynastic struggles along the way.

GameWatcher:

Bannerlord is already a deeply engaging world but clearly an early access title. At time of writing, many of the perks appear broken or missing, negating character development except to unlock better weapons or hitpoints. That said, if you can ignore that and the occasional balance issue, the game has a lot to enjoy, and with the regular updates, the future is looking bright.

TheSixthAxis:

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord won’t launch fully for at least another year, going by what TaleWorlds have said, though there’s still plenty here to get stuck into. It’s the same dilemma with any early access title – Bannerlord will only continue to grow so you might want to hold off a few months for a more rounded, complete experience. That said, if you’re hankering for a hybrid RPG/sim right now then it’s time to sound the horns and saddle up.

Aemar

Arcane
0DEAF1DFF0C641B3A50717AF5F676007F4CA5F9B
B6CDEBB50E054959EA8D7681007861FC803A04C8

Soloing small bands of sea raiders and looters around Sturgian settlements. On foot (realistic difficulty). Planning to raise a Sturgian warband after some time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom