Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well, believe what you want, but after I got more than two weapons I started to use the chainsaw strategically, as I described it in my post. Of course, gimmick gameplay is kind of retarded, but that's how they chose to roll.

I mean, if you just left it at "overstating" then that's one thing, but you said you rarely used the chainsaw for ammo. On nightmare. I just can't buy that in a million years, sorry. Maybe it felt like rarely? I dunno. I will agree that the further you get in the game, with all the upgrades and guns, the less you have to do it.

abija

Prophet
Read what I wrote, I had it unbound until that level when I couldn't be bothered (it seemed level designers gave up, there was hardly any proper ammo and tons of chainsaw ammo in the level AND I was bored of the game).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Read what I wrote, I had it unbound until that level when I couldn't be bothered (it seemed level designers gave up, there was hardly any proper ammo and tons of chainsaw ammo in the level AND I was bored of the game).

I said that about 2016, so I know where you're coming from. I defended that game from the people who said you had to constantly chainsaw and glory kill, because that wasn't my experience. It was my experience in this one though, especially the first half. But hey, we all experienced it the way we experienced it.

b01.png

J1M

Arcane
You can also spend Hell Nickels on upgrades that make all exploding barrels contain ammo and respawn on a timer.

It creates a great deal of passive ammo in most arenas.

MapMan

Arcane
Guys, it's time you just accept you're not the target audience anymore. Anybody who liked and still enjoys the old Doom games is not the target audience as a matter of fact. Doom Eternal doubled down on all the bad things in Doom 2016 and mainstream loves it which is reflected by both reviews and sales. You and I, our wants and needs, are an afterthought. All you can say now is:

But unlike Vito Corleone, we are not in a position of power and nobody cares what we think.

lightbane

Arcane
Guys, it's time you just accept you're not the target audience anymore. Anybody who liked and still enjoys the old Doom games is not the target audience as a matter of fact. Doom Eternal doubled down on all the bad things in Doom 2016 and mainstream loves it which is reflected by both reviews and sales. You and I, our wants and needs, are an afterthought.

That seems to be the case. Worse, chances are there will be DLC aplenty, if only to explain how does the Doom Slayerp gets a space station next to Earth when he was nowhere close at the end of the previous game, how did the Earth get invaded, and so on.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Guys, it's time you just accept you're not the target audience anymore. Anybody who liked and still enjoys the old Doom games is not the target audience as a matter of fact. Doom Eternal doubled down on all the bad things in Doom 2016 and mainstream loves it which is reflected by both reviews and sales. You and I, our wants and needs, are an afterthought. All you can say now is:

This was already true 10 years ago, if not before. You think Bethesda gave two shits about the Codex Oblivion review when designing Fallout 3? Literally every generation has to face the music eventually. Millennials are making way for Gen Z as we speak.

Doom Eternal is not Doom but it is an enjoyable popamole shooter for a playgthrough or two. I'm back to Brutal Dooming various wads and it's much better. Replaying No Rest For The Living now, really enjoy this one except for meh last level.

Silly Germans

I am confused, aren'T Call of Duty and those kind of games popamole shooters since
you switch between cover and shooting most of the time.
Doom Eternal doesn't look like that but i haven't played it so its hard to tell.

sullynathan

Arcane
I am confused, aren'T Call of Duty and those kind of games popamole shooters since
Doom Eternal doesn't look like that but i haven't played it so its hard to tell.
Popamole is whatever codexers want to call games they don't like or don't want to admit is good.

Glory Kills are pretty popamole. So are chainsaw kills. And every other "press x button to milk y resource" gimmick. Like respawning ammo barrels. Obviously not in Gears of War way. That's how I use word "popamole", deal with it. In my book it just means "another silly modern gaming gimmick".

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Unfortunately many Codexers have started using it as a term for any modern shooter, because they're try-hards. Yes, when it started it meant Call of Duty and Gears of War style "stand in one spot and pop moles because it's designed for a gamepad" bullshit.

Draconis

Liturgist
It's not popamole. He's just using codex buzzword but doesn't know what it really means lol

Original meaning of "popamole" is not Call of Duty, only Gears of War style sticky cover based TPS. Yes it got overused after, but that happens with any meme.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

listen ok

you dont understand

doom eternal is STRATEGIC

ok

[lol]

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Original meaning of "popamole" is not Call of Duty, only Gears of War style sticky cover based TPS. Yes it got overused after, but that happens with any meme.
Although popamole as a term did initially target TPS with cover based mechanics, I find it would describe the average CoD (at least, on higher difficulties) experience pretty well. A shooter with very low time to kill, with enemies that consist almost entirely of hitscan, with a health system that regenerates every time you stay away from fire, you may not have a stick cover button but you will surely play as if you did have one, popping in and out of cover like it's a timeless fashion.
Been a very long time since I played a CoD though, maybe they tuned down the AI in the latter games to make them more of a free shooting gallery for all I know.
This kind of ""gameplay"" gets boring real fast. If railroaded FPSes were the step 1 in degeneration of the genre, CoD skipped all the next steps, dug the decayed body of the genre from its grave and skinned what remained. The Gears of War template is just the next logical evolution of what CoD started, giving a control scheme more palatable for the controller (consoletards and their analog stick can't aim for shit, hence all the aimbot trickery to make the player feel like he actually hits things, and the need for a sticky cover because moving and aiming at the same time is le hard).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Been a very long time since I played a CoD though, maybe they tuned down the AI in the latter games to make them more of a free shooting gallery for all I know.

I played the Kevin Spacey one because I hate myself and it was the same thing as always.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom