Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Stop distracting him with commas and apostrophes or this will be 2040!

Ninjerk

Arcane
Also the comma before "most probably" looks like it could be a comma splice, but maybe it could qualify as a non-defining relative clause. The mechanics there are a bit more sophisticated than I have the training to correct. Those sections just read very awkwardly to me.

Says the guy who started his paragraph with “Also,” an adverb that requires the use of a comma when used at the beginning of a sentence.
on an internet forum oh look nocapitalizedlettersandhestoppedusingspaces

Mrs. Rhuantavan, your husband is an adult and can handle criticism about convention--especially if it improves the final product. :lol:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

same tree...
when
Call of Saregnar is released
452685_10b8703cdc03497e80cb9c2b3aa9695c~mv2.webp

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't get how a game with pixelly old school graphics can look so much more immersive than modern Cryengine shit. I always thought that about my favorite game Everquest, and I think it about this too. Can almost smell the damp wood in that rainy pic.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I don't get how a game with pixelly old school graphics can look so much more immersive than modern Cryengine shit. I always thought that about my favorite game Everquest, and I think it about this too. Can almost smell the damp wood in that rainy pic.
I've found that more realistic graphics are then it's more easy for little mistakes to break the illusion.
I don't know if there's equivalent term for uncanny valley for environments, but that's pretty much what I've experienced with some AAA titles.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah. There were some great moments in some big budget games though, in that shitty Dragon Age Inquisition there was some region that had a choppy rolling ocean and I was amazed by how it looked and I felt like I was there. Shame the gameplay sucked.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Visual and mechanical consistency helps the immersion much more than realistic graphics. King's Field manages to nail that quite well along with Daggerfall (well, except for 'HALT' moments).

When the game doesn't look real, but everything makes sense within the game world, it works. When the game looks realistic, but everything else feels scripted, it doesn't.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's almost as if how high fidelity you can get a game to look has nothing to do with how immersive/beautiful the graphics actually are...

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Maybe Kickstarter will happen for you before that point and you could hire another coder. Or maybe someone will volunteer?!

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Is that realtime lighting? It sure is a pretty looking game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom