Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

visions

Arcane
So travelling from one end of Ultima IV to another takes less than a day of in-game time?

My city is around 60 square miles, according to Google Maps it would take around 4 hours to go from one end to the other. Of course the shape of the area also matters but I'm guessing the general ballpark should be in similar magnitude, unless dealing with extremely weird shapes. IRL I've never walked that distance in my city but going from the city centre to the city limit has taken me around 3 hours in a calm tempo and with breaks in between. The distance from the city centre to either farthest city limit doesn't differ that much. So I guess in a calm tempo and with breaks in between, it would take 7 hours max.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So travelling from one end of Ultima IV to another takes less than a day of in-game time?

I found his claim to be a bit bizarre. If you walk through the forests, etc. you can watch the moon cycles change, indicating that trekking around isn't superfast.

On top of that, he seems to be assuming 1 square in a city = 1 square outside, which is just obviously wrong and shouldn't need explanation.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
On top of that, he seems to be assuming 1 square in a city = 1 square outside, which is just obviously wrong and shouldn't need explanation.

Yeah, that was true in later Ultimas starting with six, but all the earlier ones have clearly different size layers like many early cRPGs, and he should know since he played a lot of them

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

I found his claim to be a bit bizarre. If you walk through the forests, etc. you can watch the moon cycles change, indicating that trekking around isn't superfast.

Seriously? I've assumed that me multiplied each square outside by the number of squares you get during random encounters.
Also time is fucky in Ultima. In Ultima V it advances so fast going about a city is a race against time to talk to everyone you want before they go to sleep.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Seriously? I've assumed that me multiplied each square outside by the number of squares you get during random encounters.
Also time is fucky in Ultima. In Ultima V it advances so fast going about a city is a race against time to talk to everyone you want before they go to sleep.

He might've, I was just assuming from how small he claims everything is like Britain to Paws being down the block or whatever. I didn't do any math or read the article other than the snippet above.

Either way, I always took time and space in the Ultimas to be a bit of an abstraction, especially in the overworld where a square can be a cave, hamlet, or city, or ship, or forest, and is entirely obscured by your party, etc. So his claim about resolving the issue and coming to the conclusion that the game world is ultra tiny struck me as just odd on several levels.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
... and coming to the conclusion that the game world is ultra tiny struck me as just odd on several levels.

Not that this really matters. As long as the world is fun to explore and has enough content, does it really matter if its just a small island archipelago or massive but empty continents

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Let's not forget just how ridiculously slow Ultima VII ran on most people's computers of the day, getting from Trinsic to Britain could actually take a long damn time.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I played Ultima 7 on the family computer, which was a 386-16. The frame rate was measured in seconds-per-frame in towns, though it was nearly playable in outdoor areas.

V_K

Arcane
Yeah, as I've posted there, I'm very surprised that in the battle of the 7s he came so strongly on Wizardry's side (60 vs. 51). I was really expecting it to be the other way around.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I've always admired the ideas behind Ultima VII, but never enjoyed how they are executed... I guess it's kinda like Arcanum, where the vision it presents is so amazing and unique that you buy the dream and don't really complain much about the execution. Especially at the time.

Or maybe Ultima VII is just the Skyrim of the Ultima series :3

Reading his notes, now I'm thinking that Dark Sun: Shattered Lands might soon end up being one of his highest rating games, much above Ultima VII, despite not having even a fraction of the fan base.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Depends on how much bugs he encounters, I mean the sequel is notorious for it but Shattered Lands had its fair share of them and they can really hurt the overall experience.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Reading his notes, now I'm thinking that Dark Sun: Shattered Lands might soon end up being one of his highest rating games, much above Ultima VII, despite not having even a fraction of the fan base.
It's my favorite pre-Fallout RPG. People often note that it anticipates Fallout (and Infinity Engine) in many ways, which is definitely true. But I would also say -- somewhat absurdly -- that it anticipates God of War and other modern games in which developers figured out how to keep telling the player, "You are awesome!" It starts with the Brom cover, continues through character creation (character stats that go up to 20, to character races that get four attacks or whatever, everyone gets psionics), the intro is totally metal, the sound effects and combat animations reinforce the "oomph" of your attacks (giant blood splatter showing damage), and then the game is just a series of cool things that you get to do. You're not doing lame, "Carry a parrot in your inventory so that he tells you where pirate's treasure is" nonsense. The culminating insanity is when you get to make genie wishes. Marry the genius of that design with cooler art and a better angle of projection than Ultima's, and any sane person should prefer it.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
It's my favorite pre-Fallout RPG. People often note that it anticipates Fallout (and Infinity Engine) in many ways, which is definitely true. But I would also say -- somewhat absurdly -- that it anticipates God of War and other modern games in which developers figured out how to keep telling the player, "You are awesome!" It starts with the Brom cover, continues through character creation (character stats that go up to 20, to character races that get four attacks or whatever, everyone gets psionics), the intro is totally metal, the sound effects and combat animations reinforce the "oomph" of your attacks (giant blood splatter showing damage), and then the game is just a series of cool things that you get to do. You're not doing lame, "Carry a parrot in your inventory so that he tells you where pirate's treasure is" nonsense. The culminating insanity is when you get to make genie wishes. Marry the genius of that design with cooler art and a better angle of projection than Ultima's, and any sane person should prefer it.

You've forgotten the UI which totally blew me away at the time. Had never been any thing close to like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom